Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1984 Paramount ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 02:56 PM
m750rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1984 Paramount ?

I found what I guess is a mid-80s Paramount and was wondering if you guys could give me some idea of what it is and its value. It is just the frame, fork, Campy headset with a Campy front derailleur (don't know the model) and Dura Ace FC7701 crankset, 165 mm arms, Cinelli "Top 66 Ergo" bars with kind of a blueish cast to them. The paint is a very nice red, some dings and scratches but overall good. Chromed chain stay. Columbus SLX tubing for the nicely lugged main tubes, the forks are labelled Columbus foderi laminati. Cinelli bottom bracket shell. The only number I saw was on the bottom bracket, maybe I missed some, and it was stamped 545 B. It looked to be about 54 cm. 126 mm rear axle. Campy drop outs. It looked almost identical to this photo that I found on here (https://www.kurtkaminer.com/Paramount_84_0025.jpg) except the lugs are pinstriped in yellow. It has a red/silver/black Schwinn Paramount head badge. Thanks in advance. The asking price is $300, what do you think? I have some parts I could use to put it back together.
Old 12-23-13, 06:32 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by m750rider
I found what I guess is a mid-80s Paramount and was wondering if you guys could give me some idea of what it is and its value. It is just the frame, fork, Campy headset with a Campy front derailleur (don't know the model) and Dura Ace FC7701 crankset, 165 mm arms, Cinelli "Top 66 Ergo" bars with kind of a blueish cast to them. The paint is a very nice red, some dings and scratches but overall good. Chromed chain stay. Columbus SLX tubing for the nicely lugged main tubes, the forks are labelled Columbus foderi laminati. Cinelli bottom bracket shell. The only number I saw was on the bottom bracket, maybe I missed some, and it was stamped 545 B. It looked to be about 54 cm. 126 mm rear axle. Campy drop outs. It looked almost identical to this photo that I found on here (https://www.kurtkaminer.com/Paramount_84_0025.jpg) except the lugs are pinstriped in yellow. It has a red/silver/black Schwinn Paramount head badge. Thanks in advance. The asking price is $300, what do you think? I have some parts I could use to put it back together.
The 545 B means it's a 54.5cm frame size (seat tube length center of crank to top of seat lug) with the "B" length fork steerer tube. There should be date code and sequence number, possibly on another line below the 545 B. The date code will have a letter representing the month with "A"=January through "M"=December ("I" isn't used). The letter is followed by two digits representing the year ("85" would be 1985), and the year would be followed by a sequence number representing a sequential number the frame was scheduled for production during the month. For example, my '87 is serial number 620E WK 87077. It's a 62cm frame with an "E" steerer length. Thw "W" means it was built at the PDG facility in Waterford Wisconsin. K 87 is the month/year of manufacture (October, 1987), and 077 means it was the 77th Paramount frameset scheduled for production in October, 1987.

If the frame and fork are straight and rust-free, and there are no dents in the tubes, $300 is a fair price IMHO.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 12-23-13, 07:33 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
+1 If the frame has no issues and the original paint is in decent shape then that's definitely a good price!
Old 12-23-13, 08:54 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
+1 If the frame has no issues and the original paint is in decent shape then that's definitely a good price!
+2

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 12-23-13, 10:12 PM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
+10...
Old 12-24-13, 10:54 AM
m750rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your feedback.

I went and looked at the frame again and I had missed a serial number that was lightly stamped into the BB shell. F8498 so I assume that means it was built in June of 1984. There was no "W" or other stamped letter. Is this significant and does it change your opinion any? The frame and fork look straight and the paint would clean up nicely although it does has a couple good scrapes on it - but nothing that a little touch up paint couldn't fix. Not that I need it but leaning towards getting it.
Old 12-24-13, 12:54 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by m750rider
Thanks for your feedback.

I went and looked at the frame again and I had missed a serial number that was lightly stamped into the BB shell. F8498 so I assume that means it was built in June of 1984. There was no "W" or other stamped letter. Is this significant and does it change your opinion any? The frame and fork look straight and the paint would clean up nicely although it does has a couple good scrapes on it - but nothing that a little touch up paint couldn't fix. Not that I need it but leaning towards getting it.
The "self-describing" serial number scheme changed over the years, so the W may not have been included when the frame was made, but rest assured it is a Schwinn Paramount built at the Waterford PDG facility. The serial number confirms it was the 98th Paramount frame scheduled for production in June, 1984.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.