Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

5 Walmart bikes on Father's Day

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

5 Walmart bikes on Father's Day

Old 06-19-18, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
It's almost like the family is going to do 60 mph descents down Huez...
You don't have to go 96KPH down the Alp D' Huez to get hurt on a Wally Mart bike. You can do that just about anywhere. Crap is crap and we can sugar coat it all we want but the filling is still crap.

And yes I used KPH because we are cyclists gotdamnit and we will use metric!
Old 06-19-18, 08:49 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Well, pretty much anything and everything in Walmart is low quality...or at least not the best quality. So you're going to berate someone for buying the bikes there, while you're in there buying some other low quality merchandise? ...

Dan
That's not really true. I shop there from time to time as they carry a name brand pharmaceutical I can't find elsewhere. Their bullets seem as good as anyone's. And Fertilizer and batteries are fine as well.

But I wouldn't let a friend buy a bicycle there. And I do feel sorry that people who don't know any better are wasting their money buying bicycles there. When I was young, Sears served the same function. Their bicycles were low end, but were vastly better machines than one finds at a Wal Mart today. And were much more likely to be assembled correctly.
Old 06-19-18, 09:02 PM
Keiffith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I find the wailing hilarious since I'm sure the ones belittling entry level cycles are NEVER going out of their way to let others not cycling inclined to ride their superior cycling machines with 5 gorillion gears, as well as miles (really its inches)

It's the car guy equivalent to a boomer with cargo shorts, white socks and sandals, who owns a C7 convertible, with a baggy wife that never puts out.
Old 06-20-18, 01:00 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

And yes I used KPH because we are cyclists gotdamnit and we will use metric!
No we won't!
Old 06-20-18, 04:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
... although the OP's been a bit quiet since his original post.
That, combined with his post count and join date, ought to tell you something.
Old 06-20-18, 05:56 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
Was at Walmart early this morning and saw a lady check out with 5 bikes and pile them into the bed of a pick-up truck like sacks of potatoes.
I guess the plan was to go on a bike riding outing for Fathers day. They were different bikes.
Was going to tell her to buy a pump, but I just walked away.
Kinda made me cringe.
Perhaps she had a pump at home. Just sayin'

Old 06-20-18, 06:14 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Old 06-20-18, 07:14 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Crap is crap and we can sugar coat it all we want but the filling is still crap.
Yeah, but at least in my locale so is most of CL at that pricepoint, at least without significant work. Yet, we send people there all the time when they come looking for a $100 option.
Old 06-20-18, 07:37 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I go to Walmart maybe once or twice a year these days. Amazon Prime has taken it's place. I can get exactly what I want delivered to my door with free shipping without having to drive 20 minutes. Nothing against those who frequent Wally World.
Walmart still has it's place for emergency/immediate needs.
Old 06-20-18, 08:05 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
And I do feel sorry that people who don't know any better are wasting their money buying bicycles there.
Wasting money in whose opinion? They probably think we're all wasting our money buying, and supporting high-end bikes. It's likely the bikes were within the family's budget, and they did exactly what they were purchased to do...get the family of otherwise non-bicyclists together for a once-in-a-blue-moon family bike ride. Yes, the bikes are low quality, and frequently have mechanical issues because they're not always assembled properly. But perhaps there was someone with mechanical inclinations at home to check the bikes before they were ridden. The waste of money, for this family, would have been making a five-bike purchase at the LBS of high-end bikes that wouldn't be ridden much, and sit in the garage (or worse outside) and deteriorate.

Dan
Old 06-20-18, 08:10 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by _ForceD_

But perhaps there was someone with mechanical inclinations at home to check the bikes before they were ridden. The waste of money, for this family, would have been making a five-bike purchase at the LBS of high-end bikes that wouldn't be ridden much, and sit in the garage (or worse outside) and deteriorate.
Well said
Old 06-20-18, 08:55 AM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My take on the observation was from the Dad viewpoint. What were the odds that all 5 bikes would function properly right off the bat? Dad was probably going to spend a wee little time making adjustments on some of the bikes.

I could understand one or two bikes, but five?

Wal-Mart bikes have their place. My daughter has always had a Wal-Mart (or equivalent) bike. She doesn’t ride but a few times year. My son who rides more has a nicer bike. When my son went off to college I bought him a Wal-Mart SS bike. I had to replace the brake pads and true one of the wheels, but it served its purpose—short rides on campus, stored outdoors and getting banged daily on the bike racks. I had Wal-Mart type bikes till my late 20’s, rode JC Penney and Huffy bikes for thousands of miles before I bought an LBS bike.

I just know if my wife showed up at home with 5 (in my case 4) bikes from Walmart on Fathers day, I would not be too thrilled. Who knows; maybe she was going to donate them, more power to her.
Old 06-20-18, 10:08 AM
jefnvk

I just know if my wife showed up at home with 5 (in my case 4) bikes from Walmart on Fathers day, I would not be too thrilled. Who knows; maybe she was going to donate them, more power to her.
Yeah, but again, you are a person who is on a cycling enthusiast website. People on a golf enthusiast website probably wouldn't be happy if their wife bought them a set of boxed set of golf clubs from whatever your local big box store is, but for people who go out once a year on father's day with their dad, they function as well as a set of $1200 irons.

As to understanding one or two but not five, it'd be pretty selfish for mom and dad to buy bikes and leave the three kids home
Old 06-20-18, 10:13 AM
El Gato27

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
As to understanding one or two but not five, it'd be pretty selfish for mom and dad to buy bikes and leave the three kids home
In that case I'd be happy with one bike!
Old 06-20-18, 10:20 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Happens more often in the restaurant trade than you might think. My aunt did it a couple of times. Ate most of her entre, sent it back saying she didn't like it and asked for something else. I used to bus tables at a place while in college. Maybe once every two weeks someone would try something like that.

In PA there is a steak & seafood chain called Hoss' Steak & Sea. One of those places you order your entre off the wall menu and pay when you first walk in. Then you are seated and help yourself to the stuff at the all-you-can-eat hot and cold bars while your steak or whatever it being cooked. There is also a giant assortment of desserts that are included. Needless to say, lot's of very large people eat there. Anyway...Before you have swallowed the third bite of your steak an employee comes over and asks you if it's cooked to your liking. Went to two different Hoss' and the procedure was the same both times. The employee was right on me after the first or second bite. I have no doubt it's done because more than one person has eaten most of their steak then complained that it was over or undercooked and asked for another.
Some places I have been to have you slice your steak in front of them so you can tell them right then and there if it is acceptable.
Old 06-20-18, 11:33 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Yeah, but again, you are a person who is on a cycling enthusiast website. People on a golf enthusiast website probably wouldn't be happy if their wife bought them a set of boxed set of golf clubs from whatever your local big box store is, but for people who go out once a year on father's day with their dad, they function as well as a set of $1200 irons.

I played golf better with Adams Tight Lies... a cheap boxed set of golf clubs than I ever did with high-end Taylor Made, Nike or Ping clubs. I'm so glad I ditched golf as a hobby years ago... and started road cycling, rail trail mountain riding and skiing in the winter. I always felt worse after a round of golf mentally and physically than I did before the first tee shot. With cycling... I feel better after the ride than I did before the ride. It took me years to figure this out.
Old 06-20-18, 11:55 AM
El Gato27

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My son plays, he shoots in the 80's, which I think is decent. He's asked me to learn, I went out to the range a few times but realized I have no passion for the sport.
Keep thinking I should learn just to have son-dad outings, but I don't think it's happening.
Old 06-20-18, 12:08 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by DomaneS5
I played golf better with Adams Tight Lies... a cheap boxed set of golf clubs than I ever did with high-end Taylor Made, Nike or Ping clubs.
Eh, my point was more that if you were really into the sport to the point you were posting regularly on forums, you were used to playing with fitted clubs and Pro V1s, you'd probably respond the same if your spouse brought home a set of said Tight Lies clubs and a bag of recycled balls as many here would feel if their spouse got them a box store bike. Yet, many here probably would balk at the cost of even cheap clubs from a pro shop (my irons alone were $300 after STEEP discount and an extra bit of haggling) and ask why the $149 full set of clubs with bag and accessories from Wal-Mart wasn't good enough.

And, FWIW, I believe there is/was a forum member here who rides exclusively cheap BSO bikes, and would claim they are just as good as those Adams clubs
(nothing against Adams clubs in general, my 52 wedge is one of my best hitting clubs I own, albeit not from a budget line, just the Salvation Army)

Keep thinking I should learn just to have son-dad outings, but I don't think it's happening.
That is the primary reason I am doing it. My dad enjoys it, it is something we can do together as we don't have many other shared hobbies that he still partakes in.

Last edited by jefnvk; 06-20-18 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-20-18, 12:28 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Eh, my point was more that if you were really into the sport to the point you were posting regularly on forums, you were used to playing with fitted clubs and Pro V1s, you'd probably respond the same if your spouse brought home a set of said Tight Lies clubs and a bag of recycled balls as many here would feel if their spouse got them a box store bike. Yet, many here probably would balk at the cost of even cheap clubs (my irons alone were $300 after STEEP discount and an extra bit of haggling) and ask why the $149 full set of clubs with bag and accessories wasn't good enough.

And, FWIW, I believe there is/was a forum member here who rides exclusively cheap BSO bikes, and would claim they are just as good as those Adams clubs
(nothing against Adams clubs in general, my 52 wedge is one of my best hitting clubs I own, albeit not from a budget line, just the Salvation Army)
I still have a new box of ProV1 balls in the garage. They collected dust even when I played golf regularly. I always played with cheap balls... Noodles, Slazenger, Top Flite, etc... because I was losing them in water hazards and hitting OOB.

When me and my wife first rode together on the local rail trails... one of her co-workers gave her a Walmart bike, so she could ride with me. She rode it several times before we upgraded to a low-end Diamondback which was better. That was years ago. And now she has a Trek Skye SL which she loves dearly. Walmart bikes have their place.
Old 06-20-18, 12:40 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by DomaneS5
I still have a new box of ProV1 balls in the garage. They collected dust even when I played golf regularly. I always played with cheap balls... Noodles, Slazenger, Top Flite, etc... because I was losing them in water hazards and hitting OOB. .... Walmart bikes have their place.
Agree on all points. Didn't even know what Pro V1s were til last Fathers day. Went on a corporate outing where I got a box from a vendor a few years ago, not knowing anything about them. Pulled them out when dad asked what I was hitting that morning, they were just the first box in my bag I got my hands on, he took one look a them and said "nope, you're not using those, those are $50 a box". Handed him the dozen and told him "Happy Father's Day!"

But yeah cheap sports equipment exists for a reason. It is decent enough for a non-enthusiast who are going to use it once or thrice a year, and at a price point they can afford. Soon as my bag of balls I've found in the woods over the years runs out (and it is depleting at my rather technical league course at a rapid pace), I'll be to the $9 boxes of whatever is on sale from Dicks or Wal-Mart in a hurry. Yes, I realize there is better, no, I'm not paying for it until I get what I can out of the cheap stuff!
Old 06-20-18, 01:11 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jfan
Just how many casualties will it take for our government to wise up and outlaw these deadly Mongoose and pseudo Schwinn bikes? Think of the children for God's sake!
I know, right? It's a miracle I survived 50 miles of gravel on my Roadmaster mountain bike I use as a gravel bike. It's a death trap. I have to tell my kids to stay away from it in case it explodes. If only the government would come save me from myself...

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 06-20-18 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-20-18, 03:49 PM
Witterings

My son plays, he shoots in the 80's, which I think is decent. He's asked me to learn, I went out to the range a few times but realized I have no passion for the sport.
If you want to spend more time with him as every dad does and you're into cycling have you thought about buying him a Walmart bike so he can come out cycling with you
Old 06-20-18, 06:38 PM
El Gato27

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, we hit the trails every now and then when he's home. About the only thing I can still beat him at. Basketball, running, are out with my knees. We'll go out for 15-20 mile rides.
Old 06-20-18, 06:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
No we won't!
It is in the rules, so...

Rule #24 //
Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in kilometers.
This includes while discussing cycling in the workplace with your non-cycling coworkers, serving to further mystify our sport in the web of their Neanderthalic cognitive capabilities. As the confused expression spreads across their unibrowed faces, casually mention your shaved legs. All of cycling’s monuments are measured in the metric system and as such the English system is forbidden.

Old 06-20-18, 08:16 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Eh, my point was more that if you were really into the sport to the point you were posting regularly on forums, you were used to playing with fitted clubs and Pro V1s, you'd probably respond the same if your spouse brought home a set of said Tight Lies clubs and a bag of recycled balls as many here would feel if their spouse got them a box store bike.
Not really a good analogy as the Tight Lies line, and Adams equipment in general, is well designed and well made. And very well suited for a new player. They're designed to be easy to hit. But there are cheap clubs, and I expect Wal Mart sells some, that are poorly made and would be much more difficult for the beginner to hit a decent shot with. They'd be less likely to enjoy it and the clubs more likely to end up in the garage. There are good, relatively inexpensive bicycles available, but that's not what Wal Mart tends to sell. And there are people who can and do assemble bikes properly, but Wal Mart doesn't seem to care much about that. You can get lucky on that front. Some assemblers are going to know what they're doing and actually care. But one doesn't get the sense the corporation does.

None of this is a slight on the individuals buying the bicycles as some seem to think. They don't know the market and are placing at least some trust in their retailer. It seems to me that Wal Mart isn't as deserving of that trust as retailers may once have been. Somewhat ironically, in an earlier post I used Sears earlier as an example of a retailer that used to care enough about their product that they sold decent and well assembled bicycles at an affordable price. That was many years ago. Management over the years were too focused on maximizing profit and they lost the public trust they enjoyed in my youth. Now they're on the ropes.

It's not that people are wrong to buy a bicycle at Wal Mart, it's that Wal Mart is wrong for not caring more about the products they are selling.

For the record, I play mostly Pro V1s. When I had a better short game, I could actually tell the difference. Now, all decent balls are fairly indistinguishable to me. I find more balls than I lose so I seldom buy them. I play the best ball in the game because I find enough of them. But golf balls are not unlike bicycles. For the average casual rider, any decent bike will perform well enough and a cheaper bike that happens to fit well may provide a more enjoyable experience than a higher end bike with a less than ideal fit. For the average golfer, any decent golf ball will play just fine. And the bags of recycled balls can be a much wiser investment. Usually. Many years ago, I bought a box of recycled Pro V1s that were obviously the cheapest of counterfeits. It was like hitting a white rock. There are some bikes no one should have to ride and some golf balls no one should have to play. It not elitist to recognize that some people are selling crap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.