Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Found Another Cell Phone

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Found Another Cell Phone

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 02:04 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I've only found one while riding. I took it home and my wife tracked the owners address down, when we went to return it he was driving down the dirt road I'd found on while his wife walked alongside looking for it, He was happy to see it.

If he'd been rude I probably would of bounce tested it off the road. I don't respond well to rudeness.
Old 08-16-18, 03:05 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
The only phone I've ever found was an iPhone in a gutter during a rainstorm. Took it home and dried it out. Fiddled for awhile but the light wouldn't come on, so I took it to a well lit room and started going through the guy's contacts and arranged a pickup. His friend seemed nice.

Found a wallet in another rainstorm (sensing a theme?). Tried to find a phone number, with no success. Eventually turned in to the police, but just realized I could have rubberbanded the heck out of it with the DL on the outside and dropped it into a mailbox. Maybe next time.

If someone gets insistent on a reward, I just ask them to pay it forward; that seems to satisfy them.
Old 08-16-18, 10:32 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
… but just realized I could have rubberbanded the heck out of it with the DL on the outside and dropped it into a mailbox. Maybe next time.
You have far more faith in the honesty of people who work for the post office than I do.
Old 08-17-18, 03:19 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’m a believer in phone cases, the tougher the better. My iPhone has survived a lot of potentially ruinous events because it’s in a military-grade (so the advertising says - is that a real thing or just meaningless marketing hype?) and waterproof case. It’s taken falls, gone for unplanned dives into water, been stepped on, and even ran over it once on my bike - hit a bump on the trail, and I must have failed to lock the case onto the mount all the way, it flew off in front of me and I went over it with both tires - didn’t even interrupt the song playing at the time.

I’ve had to replace the cases a number of times, but the phone inside always looks virtually “out of the box” new.
Old 08-17-18, 07:38 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I found a very high-end one at the time. It took a while to identify the owner. When I finally had him on the phone he was rude. When I met him to hand over the phone, he shoved it out of my hand and cursed me. In the end I regretted ever finding that phone and having to meet the owner. There is a spectrum of experiences, many good but some bad.
Similar thing happened to me!!!! I actually found the man's wife's phone. He sounded POed that I picked it up. Like it would have been a lot easier if I had left it were they lost it. I should have left it and then it could have been run over or found by someone a lot less honest than me.
Old 08-17-18, 08:15 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Similar thing happened to me!!!! I actually found the man's wife's phone. He sounded POed that I picked it up. Like it would have been a lot easier if I had left it were they lost it. I should have left it and then it could have been run over or found by someone a lot less honest than me.
That's amazing. You have to wonder if he didn't trust his wife.
Old 08-17-18, 02:16 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I found a very high-end one at the time. It took a while to identify the owner. When I finally had him on the phone he was rude. When I met him to hand over the phone, he shoved it out of my hand and cursed me. In the end I regretted ever finding that phone and having to meet the owner. There is a spectrum of experiences, many good but some bad.
Old 08-17-18, 03:06 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
An eerie similarity here is in the fact that the phone I found seemingly slipped off a car roof . My take is that you usually diminish them more by persisting with kindness to the end, but I lift that when safety gets endangered and the cycle rider here got cut off at the start threatening his well-being.
Old 08-17-18, 03:19 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I've found 2 so far. One was owned by a woman who'd lost her previous phone shortly before that and went from thinking I'd stolen her phone to being grateful to get it back. Extremely grateful. The second belonged to another bicyclist who'd lost his seat bag containing his phone. The was before smartphones and before I gave up on wearing contact lenses and I was barely able to read the display to start calling people. First person I reached was the owners son who thought I was up to no good (sensing a pattern here?). The owner pedaled up shortly after that and was grateful for the help, and I'm hoping I don't end up losing mine.
Old 08-17-18, 03:53 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Never carry the phone with me. Figure there is always a way to get to where I am going if I have a major breakdown. Besides, with so many people carrying cell phones I figure if I have to I can use one of theirs, which I have done before.
Old 08-17-18, 04:22 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
How many phones did this guy have on his roof? Looks to me like two? One that fell off right away. another one the motorcyclist pulled off of the roof.
Old 08-17-18, 04:27 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Never carry the phone with me. Figure there is always a way to get to where I am going if I have a major breakdown. Besides, with so many people carrying cell phones I figure if I have to I can use one of theirs, which I have done before.
Old 08-17-18, 04:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18370 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Most of the phones I find are in a thousand pieces.

I did find one a few years ago, and simply dialed "0". An operator picked up, and coordinated getting it back to the owner.

I lost a few phones in St. Louis Missouri. Actually, I think other people got their phones returned, but mine were all just GONE. I'm sure a couple were found.

I've found phones in stores a couple of times and turned them into customer service, but I always wonder if they just get tossed in a box, and ignored until the box is dumped out at the end of the year.

I found a set of car keys recently with a FOB from a local gym. I took the keys to the gym as they should have had the owner's contact info, but the employee again just wanted to toss it into lost and found.
Old 08-17-18, 05:50 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Should of said you found it in your bed
Old 08-18-18, 08:17 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
How many phones did this guy have on his roof? Looks to me like two? One that fell off right away. another one the motorcyclist pulled off of the roof.
The one that fell off the guy's roof was his wallet.
Old 08-19-18, 01:36 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by MadKaw
You have far more faith in the honesty of people who work for the post office than I do.
I probably do, as my MIL is a retired carrier. And even if the cash disappears, that's the least important thing in most wallets.
Old 08-24-18, 03:22 PM
Kriesel

Bikes: Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always used an otterbox symmetry case, and have once lost my phone off the roof of the car... it was saved! But even if I had lost the phone in that accident, I did not make the mistake to not have a backup as the OP mentioned about the phone's owner. So easy to backup the phone to google or anything...

I had another phone fall off through the floor of my hotrod ('41 international truck) and got split in half somehow. Old flip phone... Good stuff