Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying online or offline

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you prefer to shop online or offline?
Shop online
68.75%
Shop offline
31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Buying online or offline

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 06:53 AM
RoadieTim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying online or offline

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a new road bike, and in that process I was wondering what your experiences and preferences are in terms of buying online or offline?

I can see some obvious benefits and drawbacks from both, but I am curious on whether you would generally recommend someone to buy online or offline and why?

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-21-18, 07:59 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’ve bought both ways. What I often do when looking for a new product is do online research, and ultimately buy from whoever has the best overall deal.

A bike is a little different than an “unbox and use” product. But you can still do the steps a la carte - your lbs can do fittings, take delivery, and assemble even if you order online - most will anyway.
Old 11-21-18, 09:50 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I prefer to shop where I get the most for my money. Online or local business, doesn't matter.
Old 11-21-18, 10:06 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Hmmmm.....

Craigslist... offline?
And my last big purchase was from a local vendor in Portland about an hour and a half from where I live. I made that purchase online and had it delivered because I didnt have the time to drive down there. Is that online? Or offline?

If its conveinient to buy local for a few dollars more, I will. Most of the times, for the things I need, Ill have to call 3 or 4 different places, take an hour or two (sometimes more) and drive into town to get to those places and then you get there and they dont have what you need. Its easier to just order it online and continue on with your busy day.
Old 11-21-18, 10:25 AM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I kind of forced myself to buy locally by asking for gift certificate at LBS last Christmas. (Wife wanted to know what in-laws could get me.) I still haven't used them completely. I do want to support my local stores, but the prices and selection for accessories... SMH.
I just decided to pay too much for some items that I sort of needed to get.
It's much better to look online, find what I want, and shop for the best price and have it delivered.
Old 11-21-18, 10:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
You can save a fair bit of money buying a new road bike online IF:

1. You know what size bike you need to fit you.
2. You know how and what to adjust or replace to make the fit work.
3. You know how to assemble a bike.
4. You know how to adjust the brakes and derailers.
5. You know how to repair the bike after you've ridden it a while.

On the other hand, if there are gaps in your knowledge, you'll end up saving money by going to a good bike shop to buy that road bike. Oh, you may pay more up front, but saving, for example, $200 on a $1,000 purchase you ride twice and park in the garage forever is NOT saving you anything. Not really. Getting a bike that fits you, is fun to ride, is set up well and works well -- those are the things that can keep you riding your new bike.
Old 11-21-18, 10:35 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Newbs!
Old 11-21-18, 10:51 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Pretty much what @pdlamb said.

Is this new as in you are new to the sport, or new as in a new bike and you know exactly what you need? If the former, saving $100 online may get you into something completely wrong for you. If the latter, not only do I (generally) save online, I don't have to deal with an LBS employee questioning my choices (which I have generally thoroughly researched and deliberately chosen) or trying to steer me towards stuff they have in stock.
Old 11-21-18, 12:00 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's not that simple for me.

If I've used a brick-and-mortar store to help me decide what to buy (e.g., I've ridden one of their bikes), I'll buy from that store.

If I'm in a hurry, I'll buy from a store.

If I already know what I want, and am not in a hurry (e.g., new rear cassette), I'll buy online.
Old 11-21-18, 12:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
sink or swim?

Originally Posted by RoadieTim
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a new road bike, and in that process I was wondering what your experiences and preferences are in terms of buying online or offline?

I can see some obvious benefits and drawbacks from both, but I am curious on whether you would generally recommend someone to buy online or offline and why?

Cheers,
Tim
you need to be a better skilled bike mechanic, with the tools of your own,
and know what you want , size , components
if you are going it alone and ordering a bike in a box delivered to your door

As a part time worker in the local shop,( older ) I have worked full time in them in the past

buying a bike in a shop you have service after the sale.. and staff will help with your choices..
fit accessories , & so on..

Here, 1st 6 months that's free..

Old 11-21-18, 12:51 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Buy locally. I like my neighbors and really like it when they are working. If the shop closes, they are unemployed for a bit, and that is not good. Support your neighbors. Buy local.
Old 11-21-18, 12:55 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Pretty much what @pdlamb said.
Yes, exactly.

Also keep in mind that assembling a bike is not quite like putting together an Ikea bookshelf. You'll need a few tools as well as a few skills (or the willingness to learn them).

Wheel truing and derailleur adjustment are not rocket science, but can be frustrating if you just want to go ride. It's helpful to have a torque wrench, and almost necessary if you're working with carbon fiber components. To make things even more fun, derailleurs often need adjustments after a few hundred miles.

All that, combined with getting fit right, can make buying in person seem like a better value. (That said, I tend to buy online for myself.)
Old 11-21-18, 01:31 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
you need to be a better skilled bike mechanic
Not really.

Originally Posted by https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Business-Education/Business-Guidance/Bicycle-Requirements
Are there any general requirements that bicycles must meet?
Yes.
(1) Adults of normal intelligence and ability must be able to assemble a bicycle that requires assembly.
It really isn't that hard to set up a bike out of the box, even for someone who hasn't done it before. It will take some time and fiddling, but it really isn't that bad if you are at all mechanically inclined. Bikes are rather simple devices. If it incurred any damage in shipping, that may change, but there isn't much to be done to get a bike up and running out of a box.
Old 11-21-18, 01:41 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Hi guys,

Cheers,
Tim
Tim - Sorry.... my post before was just looking at buying anything bike related online or off. Good posts here. Some things to take into consideration -

1. If you buy online and get a great deal... usually its a closeout, old model, slightly used. Pay attention to the support offered from the seller. I see bikes (and parts) sold cheap online because there is something not quite right or the vendor is not taking any returns or just trying to dump old stock (And lets face it... are you really going to take that bike completely apart, stick it back in the box, pay for the shipping, label the box, drive it to fedex or UPS to ship back and wait the ....who knows how long before you get a refund or repair done to get that bike back) So make sure you are getting what you want and won't need to send it back.

2. As mentioned above, if you have some skills and tools and space and are completely capable or tearing a bike down and putting it back together then you might find some good deals online. Make sure you take into account the costs for parts and pieces you need though - New seat, pedals, stem length.... take a look at the wheels you are getting (I have seen some listings where the stock wheels were removed and lesser wheels put on to sell the bike cheaper) If you have a good LBS thats willing to support your purchase you may be able to get them to work with you and roll some of these things into the price.

3. I recently got a pretty good deal on a bike (850 less than list on last years model) but ended up spending another 300$ or so on new tires, seat, upgraded brakes, longer crankset. And after I got the bike I just didn't have the time to do all the assembly work so it was about 3 weeks before I was able to go out and ride it. If your time is valuable a good LBS might make this less frustrating for you.

4. Last - Make sure you have a good LBS. I unfortunately do not. I am over and hours drive away from an LBS that can work on my bike and at no time in the year can they work on my bike in less than a weeks time (They do good work and they are very busy). So for me its almost 3 hours of driving to drop off and 3 hours of driving to pick up and a week or more of down time.
Old 11-21-18, 01:45 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Buying a bike, I almost always buy locally. I return a lot of stuff I buy online via amazon etc when it shows up but doesn't quite work. A bike is way to much hassle to send back. In person I take it for a test ride and get an idea of:
- If it's the right size
- How the ride feels - I've test ridden a few "knock your teeth out with chatter" bikes and one "expensive super smooth riding bike" that had a very mediocre ride

I don't really care about the cost difference. I feel like the really big cost differences a lot of times comes with a crappier bike. Like yeah you can buy a much cheaper full carbon bike online, but how does the cheapest model ride? You can make a carbon fiber frame that rides really awful.

For accessories and parts...a lot of times I buy them online despite that I'd theoretically like to buy them in person. Some things like bike locks the price difference is huge. A lot of other times they just don't have what I need. For example I wanted to buy a "Planet Bike Grateful USB Bike Tail Light" because I read they added a reflector for it for times when it's not on. My closest bike shop doesn't sell it at all. The next one you can order it online, but only if they ship it to the store, so I'd have to order it, wait for it to arrive, drive to the store during business hours...I gave up and went and order it on amazon where it will be on my porch in 3 days.
Old 11-21-18, 02:10 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Buy locally. I like my neighbors and really like it when they are working. If the shop closes, they are unemployed for a bit, and that is not good. Support your neighbors. Buy local.
Well spoken...typed but this is the truth.
Old 11-21-18, 04:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If you work all day at a computer for your job , may have influence on your choices.

Probably posting here rather than working , now, Right?

Old 11-21-18, 07:58 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Wherever I Have The Most Control ...

... and gain the best value. The bike shop model offers me little value, so I buy online or from private sellers.

There are very few things on a bicycle that are beyond the utterly routine, and those are the most satisfying to solve. It's like paying myself...
Old 11-22-18, 03:07 AM
RoadieTim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all very much for your helpful input! Great posts.

Having read through all your comments, I am still curious on a couple of things: It seems like you can have most bikes delivered as 95% assembled these days + they will come with instruction videos and the required tools. I guess they should be fairly easy to assemble in these cases? Also, there are many bike brands that offer a click-and-collect model (such as e.g. Trek or Felt) where you can order online and pick it up in the store, fully assembled Have you had any experience with ordering in this way? I guess that is the best of both worlds, judging from what I hear you all say?
Old 11-22-18, 06:24 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Thank you all very much for your helpful input! Great posts.

Having read through all your comments, I am still curious on a couple of things: It seems like you can have most bikes delivered as 95% assembled these days + they will come with instruction videos and the required tools. I guess they should be fairly easy to assemble in these cases? Also, there are many bike brands that offer a click-and-collect model (such as e.g. Trek or Felt) where you can order online and pick it up in the store, fully assembled Have you had any experience with ordering in this way? I guess that is the best of both worlds, judging from what I hear you all say?
My wife’s Diamondback came with the gears and brakes all cabled up, so all I had to do was put the wheels in, pedals on, pump the tires, straighten up the handlebars, adjust the seat height, and it was ready to ride. (I gave the gears a once over, and the brakes a twice and three times over before letting her on, but iirc they were already set). There was an ikea-style guidebook in the box taking you through the steps.
Old 11-22-18, 07:37 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I've bought all bikes, except one, for me, my wife, and kids, at local bikes stores.
And the one bike I bought on-line for my wife, even though I thought I knew her size, ended up being too big.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-22-18, 09:09 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Having read through all your comments, I am still curious on a couple of things: It seems like you can have most bikes delivered as 95% assembled these days + they will come with instruction videos and the required tools. I guess they should be fairly easy to assemble in these cases?
If the brand plans ahead for consumer assembly, then putting the bike together should be straightforward. I've seen both ways. Last year I unboxed a bike that clearly had been assembled with the idea that a shop mechanic with all the tools at hand would finalize the build. Since then the brand seems to have upped their game (and their pricing) to target consumer assembly a little bit better.

[quote[Also, there are many bike brands that offer a click-and-collect model (such as e.g. Trek or Felt) where you can order online and pick it up in the store, fully assembled Have you had any experience with ordering in this way? I guess that is the best of both worlds, judging from what I hear you all say? [/QUOTE]

Click and collect is a good model. There are also brands that partner with mobile services like Velofix and Beeline for the final assembly. I personally would be happy if the box contained just a frame and a pile of parts, but the typical customer is going to benefit from assembly by someone with some practice and some expertise.
Old 11-22-18, 09:32 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'd prefer to buy locally, but price and availability sometimes dictate that one must purchase online.
Old 11-22-18, 09:55 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I do all my own bike assembly and maintenance, so I shop on line because of the better prices and wider availability. I will shop local for things that need to fit - shoes, gloves, helmets etc
Old 11-22-18, 10:12 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Bike: LBS
Clothing/Accessories: Online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.