Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wind vest recommendations

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-26-19, 02:04 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I have tons of jerseys and several cycling jackets but I've never used a cycling vest. I'm thinking I might want one to block wind on a cold morning (~40°F) that eventually warms up into the 60s or higher. For this reason pack-ability will be a factor. Also, I'm looking for the following:

- excellent wind blocking
- good quality
- looks decent
- neutral color (not hi-vis anything)
- aero fit
- not pre-owned
- don't particularly want rear pockets

Price is not the main object. I'll pay for quality, up to a point. Having said that I'll be looking for a good deal on ebay or other closeout.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Old 01-26-19, 06:14 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
make sure you get one with two way zippers, they are just so much more functional
Old 01-26-19, 07:11 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
make sure you get one with two way zippers, they are just so much more functional
For a vest I'm not that concerned about a 2 way zipper. I anticipate the vest being fully zipped while wearing. If I need to unzip it I'll probably be ready to take it off.

I think I found what I'm looking for, made by Pearl Izumi. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-26-19, 07:40 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've been reasonably happy with Castelli Velo vest (pretty much the only Castelli item I've tried that I'd say that about),

not flappy, stuffs in it's pocket, 75g, & packs down to the size of an inner tube.

Maybe no longer available. Pearl Izumi should be OK, something cheap on Amazon worth a try.

Don't agree with the 2 way zipper- should fit tight, so no point.

Old 01-26-19, 08:10 PM
John HP

Bikes: 1998 Marinoni Leggero, 1988 Tommasini Super Prestige, 2018 Holdsworth Competition, 1996-ish Redline Cross Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
The Black Bibs has a wind vest in black or gray for 40 bucks. Just received mine and it's really nice.
Old 01-26-19, 10:10 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts

One of the cycling wind jackets I have is the Pearl iZUMi Elite Barrier Convertible Jacket. (Given to me as a gift) See the following link. The one I have is the florescent green with the black on the back. I am amazed at how well that thin, light material is at stopping the wind, and keeping the chill out. Down to about 30°F all I need is a long sleeved liner, then maybe a fleece, and this Pi jacket and I'm fine. It does resist the rain somewhat too. Although I've never done this, but on this model the sleeves and shoulder yoke zip off so that you have just the vest. They can be rolled up small and stuffed in the back pocket mid-ride. It might be just what you're looking for on your 30° to 60° rides.
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Sho...ket/p/11131513

Dan
Old 01-26-19, 10:36 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Anybody still interested in a wind vest, Pactimo has their Clothes-Out sale going on right now.... I've been impressed with the quality of their bibs, no experience with their vests.

https://www.pactimo.com/collections/...-jackets/vests

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 01-26-19, 10:44 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm using something I would never ordinarily buy-- a Le Col gilet. It's superb, as you would expect. It's also north of $100, which is absurd. But they do those coupons via Strava Challenge several times a year, then hand you a sales offer-- it was the gilet and arm warmers for 100 British Pounds. After the Strava Coupon, it was about $70USD shipped for the gillet + warmers and I have no regrets whatsoever. They're far and away my favorite warmers, and since I got the gilet, I haven't worn my Pearl Izumi vest once.
Old 01-26-19, 10:49 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
https://www.ornotbike.com/collection...ind-vest-black

I have this, and I love it. Incredibly light and packable, but does a great job blocking the wind. Super fitted, so be sure you order the right size! Definitely race cut. Has rear pockets, but they don't add any bulk or extra material whatsoever.
Old 01-26-19, 11:22 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sportful hot pack 6 vest or Assos blitzfeder vest are both nice ultralight packable gilets that unfortunately didn’t work for me because of sizing, they both run small and are meant to fit snug. if sizing works for you though worth a look.
Old 01-27-19, 12:38 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you get a vest without pockets you’ll want it to have a two way zipper because it makes accessing your jersey pockets much easier.

The best vest I ever had was made by Hincapie. Windproof front, mesh back, pockets, two way zipper, high collar, and reflective accents. It was a team custom item, I don’t know if they still offer it.
Old 01-27-19, 08:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20803 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
If you get a vest without pockets you’ll want it to have a two way zipper because it makes accessing your jersey pockets much easier.
Well duh - thanks for mentioning this. The one complaint that I have about my vest (Search & State) is that getting in to my jersey pockets is a *****. I mostly chalked it up to wearing gloves (which I don't usually wear above 45° or so) and the lack of touch/dexterity, but unzipping the bottom a bit should make things easier.
Old 01-27-19, 01:18 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
https://www.ornotbike.com/collection...ind-vest-black

I have this, and I love it. Incredibly light and packable, but does a great job blocking the wind. Super fitted, so be sure you order the right size! Definitely race cut. Has rear pockets, but they don't add any bulk or extra material whatsoever.
Yours is a super nice vest, no question. I don't expect to use the vest all that much so I can't justify spending that kind of money. Having said that, even on ebay the nicer vests start at about $40 and go up from there.

Below are some web pics of the PI vest I just bought. I got it for under 50 bucks. Newer version costs twice that and is essentially the same. Per my reading, and the size I bought, I think it will fit rather snugly.

Old 01-27-19, 04:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Castelli Pro Light

https://www.backcountry.com/castelli...wind-vest-mens

Impeccable fit. No pockets.

Black with red highlights is as close as this product is going to come to a neutral colorway.

-Tim-
Old 01-27-19, 06:02 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have an old Nashbar wind vest that I really like. It has zip front pockets and a good size zip rear central pocket. It is yellow and has stains that will not wash out. Not a big deal. I have been shopping for a new vest but have not seen one that I like enough to purchase. For me, it makes no sense to have a vest that has no pockets. I am used to the front pockets and I carry chapstick, gum/lifesavers and tissues in them, easy access. The rear pocket I just use for phone, paper money,ID and what ever else I may need for that ride. I like the idea of convertible jackets but it looks to me like most of them are really tight in the shoulders and have read that as a con in the reviews of many of them. The other big deterrent for me is simply a matter of the price, crazy expensive for a lot of them.
Old 01-27-19, 07:30 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I have no experience with the Pactimo offerings, but one has three pockets, one has magnetic closure for access to your jersey's pockets, and the third has no pockets
Old 01-27-19, 07:59 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Lightweight and pocket-less.. a nice option.
https://www.probikekit.com/sports-ja.../11863171.html
Old 01-27-19, 08:59 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z

Well maybe there is a point.

I have a vest with pockets & 2 way zipper- the pockets get confusing between putting stuff there & the jersey pockets, & I don't use the 2 way zip. It's bulky & barely fits in a jersey pocket when rolled up.

Also have a jacket that's light, with slots to access the jersey pockets, but it flaps & the slots are a PIA so a failed experiment.

I lift up the back of the vest to get to the jersey pockets- somewhat awkward but no more than the other options.
Old 01-29-19, 06:51 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
I have tons of jerseys and several cycling jackets but I've never used a cycling vest. I'm thinking I might want one to block wind on a cold morning (~40°F) that eventually warms up into the 60s or higher. For this reason pack-ability will be a factor. Also, I'm looking for the following:

- good quality
- looks decent
- aero fit
- not pre-owned

Price is not the main object. I'll pay for quality, up to a point. Having said that I'll be looking for a good deal on ebay or other closeout.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Two suggestions:

Chest warmer from WarmFront. I'd get this anyhow - I use mine a lot more than I thought I would.

I also had Lou Binik from Foxwear.net make me a vest that has three jersey style pockets on the back, a chest pocket to slide my cell phone into and a two way zipper. The front is neoshell that is wind and waterproof but highly breathable and with mechanical stretch and the rear is midweight power stretch that vents heat super well. Power stretch is also stretchy so it makes the vest fit super close.

I wear this vest all the time and it rolls up to stash with ease in a jersey pocket. Cost is less than a commercially available standard one and it is custom made to fit me precisely. Negotiated the functionality with Lou over email and he makes it quickly. I think the whole time to get it from my first contact with him to riding with it was less than 10 days. Lou is trustworthy to a fault. He's made me tons of stuff over the years and most of it has become some of my favorite outdoor equipment.

With all of Lou's stuff, you pick the color and the specific fabrics. He'll send samples.

J.
Old 01-30-19, 11:36 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

The best vest I ever had was made by Hincapie. Windproof front, mesh back, pockets, two way zipper, high collar, and reflective accents. It was a team custom item, I don’t know if they still offer it.
They still make them!! I have two, one team kit from 10 years ago... one team kit from 2 years ago. I LOVE the high collar and back pockets. I also love the polar fleece team jacket w/ high collar and back pockets. And the Hincapie team kit is also best for comfort.

A huge shout out / FYI -> You can get Hincapie custom in order size 1. Just need someone to do up your design.
Old 01-30-19, 03:22 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
I've never used a cycling vest. I'm thinking I might want one to block wind on a cold morning (~40°F) that eventually warms up into the 60s or higher. For this reason pack-ability will be a factor. Also, I'm looking for the following:

- good quality
- looks decent
- aero fit
- not pre-owned
I've owned a lot of different vests over the years. With the requirements you described OP, I would highly recommend the Louis Garneau Speedzone X-Lite. It is really a great lightweight vest and the rear cutout is genius--it provides great access to your jersey pockets. LINK The cut is "race fit."
Old 01-30-19, 03:57 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you for all your suggestions. I did follow up and do more research based on your input, and definitely checked all the links that you provided.

The PI vest came today. I ordered down a size and it fits quite snugly. I don't think it will flap. Two different fabrics used. See up near the collar and along the sides & bottom. That fabric is used more extensively on the back. Single rear pocket. I may end up using this a lot more than I had originally planned.

Old 01-31-19, 01:24 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Castelli Perfetto Vest: https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/...451650819P-034

The best vest I have owned. Throw in head thingy, and it is quite comfortable in 40s. One note Castelli do run on slim side of things.
Another Alternative: https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/...451650619P-085 Slightly warmer then vest + arm warmers. Can take sleeves off when it gets warmer.