Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I'd like some panniers.. Help!!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I'd like some panniers.. Help!!

Old 02-09-19, 11:09 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Another Orteib/Tubus fan here. I have the Tubus Fly rack on both of my commuters and it is lightweight and indestructable. My summer bike has very short chainstays, and even with the minimalist Fly rack, the Ortleib mounting system provides adequate adjustability to eliminate heel strike.

Last year I bought a pair of Ortleib Gravel panniers, which is their most light-weight front pannier (thinner waterproof material than the Classic line, no pockets, etc.) I like these a lot, organize my stuff in zip bags inside, and ride with either one or two depending on my needs (on the rear rack) . Ortleib Gravel Pannier

Happy hunting!
Old 02-11-19, 02:53 PM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have been using Axioms for a couple years. They are waterproof, easy to get on and off and fit my clothes, laptop and lunch. No regrets.

Update: I just had a tear at the seam. It was a struggle but they are honoring their lifetime warranty and sending a new set. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the Ortliebs.

Last edited by mojojojo; 02-14-19 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 09:01 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
If all your doing is a 8 mile commute I wouldn't see the purpose of spending a lot of money for the expensive stuff. I think a simple but well made pannier from Banjo Brothers called the Minnehaha would be just fine, it's not too cheap that it won't last but not too expensive either. https://banjobrothers.com/collection...rproof_pannier Or this one would be fine as well: https://www.amazon.com/Banjo-Brother...words=panniers

And since the weight won't be extreme like touring would be you don't need an expensive rack for either, the Blackburn Local Standard rear rack will more than hold up to your needs. https://www.blackburndesign.com/rack...rear-rack.html

Word of warning about panniers, if you have anything you're going to put in and want to make sure it won't get wet put it in a ziplock bag no matter if the bag says waterproof. Also to prevent anything you might carry that could leak into the bag line the bag with cinch type of plastic trash bag. The plastic trash bag will help with preventing water but again the ziplock baggie will assure that no water gets to it. Sure Ortlieb may be waterproof but look at the cost, do you need something that expensive when a trash bag and a ziplock bag will work just as well for a fraction of the cost? I don't think so but that's just me. If you got the money to burn then by all means get an Ortlieb pannier and a Tubus rack, but I think those are an extreme overkill for your purpose.
Old 02-12-19, 09:42 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Those Banjo Brothers panniers look nice. They are not less expensive than Ortliebs, and that's fine.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-12-19, 10:08 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I have Axioms.

The Performance ones are better, but alas, no more. The Axioms have a hard reinforcement (as they should), which is screwed to the attachment hardware through from the outside. The screws are covered on the inside by by little rubber caps which easily dislodge and disappear, leaving the inside of the bag full of sharp metal snag points for clothes and what-have-you. They might be flattened off machine screws, but they still catch things, including my knuckles when I'm getting stuff in and out.
Old 02-12-19, 10:09 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Oh, and the Axioms are just one giant bag. The Performance panniers have some smaller pockets as well...very handy.
Old 02-12-19, 05:02 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Those Banjo Brothers panniers look nice. They are not less expensive than Ortliebs, and that's fine.
Which Banjos did you see? Here is a complete rundown of their prices: https://banjobrothers.com/collections/panniers/commuter This site has the complete rundown of prices for the Ortliebs: https://ortliebusa.com/product-categ...ycle-panniers/

Banjos aren't the cheapest out there but their quality is pretty darn good. One poster mentioned Axiom, those are really nice as well. The Ibera are pretty low cost and got high reviews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bicycle...eecad85d0d4067
Old 02-12-19, 05:28 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
If my wife knew I was looking at these panniers, she'd unplug the computer. I want all of them.
Old 02-13-19, 11:07 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
6 years with seattle sport panniers, retired from commuting a year ago (went to green guru dutchy, if it is raining I bring it in with me) but the seattle sports bags still go on long gravel rides and overnights. I have what are now labeled titans. The zippper pocket is nice but not rainproof, the rack attachments are solid.

I had a seattle sports trunk bag for 7 years that ended up cracking where I rolled it up, but I was rolling and unrolling about everyday so I figured it was worth it.
Old 02-13-19, 02:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
I just ordered a pair of RockBros bags on E-Bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockBros-Cy...s/312032485635

8% Valentine's day E-Bay Bucks today. Note, showed 12 sold, 2 left in stock yesterday. 13 sold, 2 left in stock today.

I haven't gotten them yet. They look HUGE in the photos. 27L = 7 gallons.

It looks like Rock Bros is cloning products from other companies, but at generally good prices.

These appear to be water proof. Good colors for commuting (could use more yellow on back, but it does have a reflector).

And each bag has one side pocket (also hopefully waterproof).

Old 02-13-19, 05:03 PM
EarlGrey

Bikes: TREK 1200 SL (2006?), 1996 Trek 750 Multitrack (sold, great bike), many incomplete projects in the basement

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before Paniers...

Box panniers rack
try backpack with this chest (not sure about the name)
very handy, on the way back home I often put my shopping bags in the chest and the backpack... on my shoulders.
Old 02-14-19, 06:58 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
You didn't say how much you need to carry. Backpacks are a sweaty mess in warm weather but a large saddlebag like a minnehaha medium might do you ok, especially if you added a front handle bar bag for smaller items like glasses case, phone, wallet gloves hat, multitool etc. The advantage to these is they are more aero. The disadvantage is heavy weight up high affects handling more thavweight slung low. If you are carrying clothes and lunch it may not weigh a lot.
Old 02-14-19, 07:35 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Yeah they've been ripping off American designs for years. Bells, bags, pedals, you name it. Rockbros makes it cheaper and a lot worse.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I just ordered a pair of RockBros bags on E-Bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RockBros-Cy...s/312032485635

8% Valentine's day E-Bay Bucks today. Note, showed 12 sold, 2 left in stock yesterday. 13 sold, 2 left in stock today.

I haven't gotten them yet. They look HUGE in the photos. 27L = 7 gallons.

It looks like Rock Bros is cloning products from other companies, but at generally good prices.

These appear to be water proof. Good colors for commuting (could use more yellow on back, but it does have a reflector).

And each bag has one side pocket (also hopefully waterproof).

Old 02-16-19, 02:01 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
Yeah they've been ripping off American designs for years. Bells, bags, pedals, you name it. Rockbros makes it cheaper and a lot worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYfn-n9ylVQ
This video reminds me to order another Spurcycle bell for my new commuter, thanks!