Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Driver slams on Brakes in front of Cyclist

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 03:02 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

"What would you do?"
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-window-411455
Old 03-22-19, 03:10 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I'd have the authorities review the footage of my Cycliq cameras.
Old 03-22-19, 03:11 PM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I would do something very wreckless and inadvisable I guarantee! I have enough trouble not going off from minor incidents but if someone were to intentionally put my life in danger like that I imagine my reaction could possibly be criminal. One point to note though: in many instances like this the victim may not realize they were intentionally harmed or targeted. It’s possible they/I would think it was an innocent accident which could temper the instant reaction. If I were to find out after the fact though I’d be tracking the perp down and getting my satisfaction either legally or otherwise. Just watching that makes me angry. I actually blame sites like the one you linked for encouraging this behavour by giving them exposure.

Last edited by Mitkraft; 03-22-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 03:13 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
What I would do would get me jail time if they ever found me. It would be my mission in life to stomp this a-holes skull. Then I'd ride off with the same lack of regard drivers do when ever they cause harm to cyclists...Then I'd go to the dentist.
Old 03-22-19, 03:23 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I thought bikes could stop much quicker than cars, plus cars have brake lights. I pretty much expect cars to do stuff like this at any moment, or let's say it wouldn't be the first time someone has done something like this to me, often completely unintentionally.
Old 03-22-19, 03:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
The driver set this up and the video shows it.

It’s known as “spiking” the brakes and is illegal here in NY State.

Good setup for a lawsuit from the cyclist
Old 03-22-19, 03:42 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
"What would you do?"
Eliminate the risk by not ever tailgating a vehicle.
Old 03-22-19, 04:52 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitkraft
I actually blame sites like the one you linked for encouraging this behavour by giving them exposure.
Or we could just place the blame where it belongs...entirely with the people who actually commit the crime.
-Matt
Old 03-23-19, 01:55 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
This only works if you live in the middle of nowhere. I think, every day, I could be targeted by someone like this if they wanted to. This goes for car driving as well. Smash on the brakes, for no reason, on a busy highway and you cause a crash. In the city as well.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 03-23-19 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-23-19, 03:27 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Really? That's your solution? By that logic why then not then just sell your bike and stay home. After all, you can't get tailgated if you don't leave your house. Please, nobody every say something like that again. Ever! You're blaming the victim.
Old 03-23-19, 05:15 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Jerk driver for sure and NOT FUNNY!!!

On the other hand, I think this has a touch of humor ....

Old 03-23-19, 02:03 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
This is why cyclists should advocate for a vulnerable user law so if there is legal action, it the law will be on the cyclists side.
Old 03-23-19, 02:55 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
That's not tailgating. That's someone overtaking, deliberately slowing to close the gap and then slamming on the brakes.
Old 03-23-19, 05:32 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
This only works if you live in the middle of nowhere. I think, every day, I could be targeted by someone like this if they wanted to. This goes for car driving as well. Smash on the brakes, for no reason, on a busy highway and you cause a crash. In the city as well.
Each operator has 100% control of their following distance. City, country, highway, anywhere. No one can ever force another to tail someone any closer than they (should) know is prudent for safety.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's not tailgating. That's someone overtaking, deliberately slowing to close the gap and then slamming on the brakes.
If a driver passed a cyclist and immediately cut him off and then slammed on the brakes, yes, that would likely cause anyone to hit him. That's not what happened here. Cyclist was riding on the sidewalk and pulled out behind the car. Driver pulled a d!ck move that is illegal. Little consolation pointing this out after you end up hurt or worse.

Instead of discussing what a d!ck the driver was, which is certainly true, I think there's more benefit discussing how we as cyclists (and auto drivers!) can avoid this type of crash. Cyclist could have avoided this by not being so close.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Really? That's your solution? By that logic why then not then just sell your bike and stay home. After all, you can't get tailgated if you don't leave your house. Please, nobody every say something like that again. Ever! You're blaming the victim.
Absolutely my solution. Don't allow yourself to be in the position where you can't avoid hitting the vehicle in front of you and you can't be made a "victim". Bike or car. Just like you can't be doored if you ride out of the door zone.

I hope the driver is prosecuted and receives a stiff sentence.
Old 03-23-19, 05:47 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Still not tailgating, bro. Still 100% the driver's liability, too. But yeah, let's tell the cyclist what an idiot he is after he's done picking up his teeth.
Old 03-23-19, 06:08 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
I think a good lawyer can make him wish he never pulls a stunt like that. You can clearly see he braked for no reason at all. The other problem is that it seems to be on a down hill. I think a car could brake quicker than the bike. I hope he gets his in court. He should also get criminal charges for assault and endangering a life...
Old 03-23-19, 06:18 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I remember learning in driver's ed that if you rear-end another car, it's always your fault, even if the other guy jams on the brakes for no reason. That was a long time ago, so maybe the laws are different now.
Old 03-23-19, 09:24 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I remember learning in driver's ed that if you rear-end another car, it's always your fault, even if the other guy jams on the brakes for no reason. That was a long time ago, so maybe the laws are different now.
Generally speaking, yes it is the driver who rear ends the vehicle in front that is considered at fault. Some instances do change that if the driver is proven to stop without a reason. But unless the guy admits to it then it is very hard to prove without video. Even with the video provided the driver can still argue that traffic suddenly stopped in front of him.
Old 03-23-19, 09:43 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
I think he intentionally braked hard for no reason. Combine that with the fact that he is going down hill. I just think 4 wheels have more traction and can stop quicker, so in this case I doubt he could have stopped. I mean the cyclist may have made an error in riding on sidewalk and then came onto street, but my first question would be to the driver, what caused you to come to a dead stop like that? .?? Next question. How were you filming? Next question it seems like you were smirking and were fully aware of the biker behind you ? Next question if you admit guilt your jail sentence may be lowered. It is so obvious was intentional. Just look at his face. Then
..his comment " oh ..are you alright"".. . This guy is a sociopath period....
I hope the rider is ok...

Last edited by rossiny; 03-23-19 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 12:32 AM
KraneXL

That was always an inappropriate application of the term. A driver can easily and at anytime intentionally maneuver in front of you and cause a rear-end collision. Whoever taught you that must have missed the insurance fraud scheme of that period.
Old 03-24-19, 06:11 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Nothing is absolute.

https://www.oldhamsmith.com/blog/201...a-brake-check/
Old 03-24-19, 06:17 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
A driver can easily and at anytime intentionally maneuver in front of you and cause a rear-end collision.
Not if you stay alert and keep a safe following distance. Unless they flash some cleavage or something, to distract you.
Old 03-24-19, 06:55 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
It's a hate crime if you ask me, doesn't the cyclist appear to be a person of color? And the driver just happens to be shooting video and tracking this guy randomly?

Anyway it seems too much of a coincidence for the driver to have intersected that cyclist at random.

I'd say the cyclist was following too close for safety, probably trying to catch the vehicles draft. I've done it. Just guessing the cyclist and vehicle were doing 30mph, using the two second rule the cyclist should've maintained a following distance of 44 feet.

No doubt this driver is a psychopath. I hope a prosecutor sticks him with something, this crap makes my stomach hurt. Around here we've had a few cyclists killed because the driver "didn't see them" Nothing ever comes of it.

Number one rule for a cyclist and motorcyclist is never assume anyone sees you, always assume the worst from a driver.
Old 03-24-19, 08:12 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Generally speaking, yes it is the driver who rear ends the vehicle in front that is considered at fault. Some instances do change that if the driver is proven to stop without a reason. But unless the guy admits to it then it is very hard to prove without video. Even with the video provided the driver can still argue that traffic suddenly stopped in front of him.
Originally Posted by rossiny
I think he intentionally braked hard for no reason. Combine that with the fact that he is going down hill. I just think 4 wheels have more traction and can stop quicker, so in this case I doubt he could have stopped. I mean the cyclist may have made an error in riding on sidewalk and then came onto street, but my first question would be to the driver, what caused you to come to a dead stop like that? .?? Next question. How were you filming? Next question it seems like you were smirking and were fully aware of the biker behind you ? Next question if you admit guilt your jail sentence may be lowered. It is so obvious was intentional. Just look at his face. Then
..his comment " oh ..are you alright"".. . This guy is a sociopath period....
I hope the rider is ok...
That was always an inappropriate application of the term. A driver can easily and at anytime intentionally maneuver in front of you and cause a rear-end collision. Whoever taught you that must have missed the insurance fraud scheme of that period.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Nothing is absolute.
I'm glad brake-checks are illegal, but it's still probably a good idea to tell teenagers that it's always their fault if they rear-end someone. I have four teenagers, and they are all terrible drivers.
Old 03-24-19, 09:34 AM
KraneXL

I'm glad brake-checks are illegal, but it's still probably a good idea to tell teenagers that it's always their fault if they rear-end someone. I have four teenagers, and they are all terrible drivers.
The burden of parenthood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.