Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bike Store - any experiences?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-28-19, 06:57 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Poking around, I've found this place: Commuting Bicycles and Accessories - Commuter Bike Store

Product variety for anything outside of bikes seems sparse, but some of the bike models appear relatively recent. Does anyone have experience with them?
Old 06-28-19, 07:42 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
Four years ago I bought a Biria easy boarding light 8 from this place. Still loving it. Arrived in good shape except the wheels were too loose. I carefully tightened the spokes while observing the wheel trueness. That’s based on my LBS mechanic knowledge current as of 40 years ago. If you don’t have any experience I think you should budget for a tune up. Wheels, brakes and shifting will definitely need some attention. They seem to have good bikes for sale now, were you looking for something in particular? Color selection will be very limited for older models.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 06-28-19 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 12:42 AM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
If you don’t have any experience I think you should budget for a tune up. Wheels, brakes and shifting will definitely need some attention. They seem to have good bikes for sale now, were you looking for something in particular? Color selection will be very limited for older models.
Cheers; figured a LBS tune-up is in order - I can do some things, but nothing involving truing/spoke work.

Was looking at the Montague Urban.
Old 06-29-19, 08:55 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
That webstore has a nice selection of city bikes. I was heavily tempted by the Montague Crosstown months ago and those Silverback Starkes sure are interesting.
Old 06-29-19, 02:57 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
In the city bike category they do have interesting products. Look what I bought after all. Full size folders and several 700c city bikes instead of the usual 26 inchers also available. Lots of fun. Best of luck.
Old 06-29-19, 07:18 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Site had me when Montagues popped up on homepage. For some reason never thought of mine as a commuter but is a good choice. Sad my model no longer make.

Old 06-30-19, 08:40 PM
MEversbergII

Originally Posted by hillyman
Site had me when Montagues popped up on homepage. For some reason never thought of mine as a commuter but is a good choice. Sad my model no longer make.
Which model do you have?
Old 06-30-19, 08:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I would recommend buying your bike from a local shop. You get a already built bike and usually some tune ups with it and you can test ride bikes and find one that works for you.

Certainly you can buy a cheap online bike and get it built up but no warranty support from that shop and a lot of cheap bikes have a lot of issues from the box and don't usually improve and warranty can be quite helpful.
Old 07-01-19, 01:41 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Which model do you have?
Montague X70. I replaced the shock fork with a Surly Troll non suspension corrected solid fork.
https://www.amazon.com/SwissBike-27-...gateway&sr=8-1

Likes For hillyman:
Old 07-01-19, 07:13 AM
MEversbergII

Cheers.

Overall looks like a place to buy from; apparently they have 5% off, too.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would recommend buying your bike from a local shop. You get a already built bike and usually some tune ups with it and you can test ride bikes and find one that works for you.

Certainly you can buy a cheap online bike and get it built up but no warranty support from that shop and a lot of cheap bikes have a lot of issues from the box and don't usually improve and warranty can be quite helpful.

Unfortunately none of my LBS stock any - the closest dealer for Montague is College Park.
Old 07-07-19, 12:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
Cheers.

Overall looks like a place to buy from; apparently they have 5% off, too.

Unfortunately none of my LBS stock any - the closest dealer for Montague is College Park.

Why Montague? Their bikes aren't particularly that exciting, most of them use pretty low end components or a mix of a few nice things and a lot of cheaper stuff. If you really need a folding bike with larger wheels then sure Montague has that market but if you are more using it for travel, S&S couplers and Ritchey Breakaway is a way better way to go and you can get a much nicer bike and probably fit it into a smaller area.

If you don't need any of that then get a regular bike that doesn't fold or breakdown and you will have a fantastic ride without adding extra weight and you can spend more money on components then you would with other mechanisms. As soon as you start adding stuff to a bike the cost goes up, so things like suspension, folding mechanisms, ETC. will either make the bike cost more or they will use cheaper components that may not work as well and last as long plus you have more point of failure.

The few times I have seen Montagues in the wild have been those Hummer Bikes which are pretty bad and most of the people riding them are just riding it because it says Hummer and that seems cool to some people.