Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Does anyone make a rear fender like this?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-03-18, 11:27 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts

Went out riding my drop bar 29er yesterday. It had rained earlier in the day so of course I ran into slimy roads. I have a Topeak DeFender on the bike, so my butt stays clean, but it seems like this just channels the grit and sand right onto my front derailleur and crankset and I hate that. It would be nice to have a fender that extends all the way down to the chainstays in front without being a full fender in the rear.

Basically, I want the front half of the Planet Bike Cascadia 29er: https://www.planetbike.com/store/products/bike-accessories/bike-fenders/cascadia-bike-fenders-29.html
With the back half being like the Topeak: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mountain-fenders/404-defender--xc11

Does any company make a fender like this?
Old 09-04-18, 02:03 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If your bike doesn't have fender eyelets, get a full fender and fix it with clamps. If your bike does have fender eyelets, just get a full fender, they're awesome.
Old 09-04-18, 05:43 PM
Caliper

It has fender eyelets, although getting the stays around the disc caliper may be awkward.

I have another bike with a full fender, they are great. But I just don't want a full fender in this bike. It's a drop bar 29er and a full fender would be a bit of a non sequitur. My current setup keeps mud off me (the easy to clean part), I just want to protect the front derailleur (the harder to clean part)
Old 09-05-18, 09:36 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Buy the Cascadia fender and cut it at or just past the seat stay attachment? Then run the topeak fender separately above it. I ran a cut fender years ago on the back of a Rawland Olaf-didn't work great. But with the topeak above it you might get by...

Old 09-06-18, 12:16 PM
Caliper

Originally Posted by 5teve
Buy the Cascadia fender and cut it at or just past the seat stay attachment? Then run the topeak fender separately above it. I ran a cut fender years ago on the back of a Rawland Olaf-didn't work great. But with the topeak above it you might get by...
I have thought about modification for sure. Kinda makes it an expensive fender when I'd only be using part of half of the set...

What didn't work well on your setup? I'm assuming you still got spray on your back? Did the drivetrain stay clean (well, as clean as it ever can)
Old 09-06-18, 01:59 PM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I have thought about modification for sure. Kinda makes it an expensive fender when I'd only be using part of half of the set...

What didn't work well on your setup? I'm assuming you still got spray on your back? Did the drivetrain stay clean (well, as clean as it ever can)
True, maybe you can find a used or busted one? It's been a lot of years, but yeah-I think the coverage wasn't what I'd hoped body-wise. Better for the drivetrain.