Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amazing difference in attitudes towards bicycling n Europe and the US

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 01:58 PM
willpetras

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In Belgium when I carry a bag of groceries, or other purchases, in a bag that hangs from the handlebars people give a look like "That's good. Enjoying yourself". It's like a status symbol. In the US I have literally had people, usually well-to-do older women, gasp in horror as if to say "How heathen! Our community is becoming a ghetto" I could actually hear the gasps. Amazing.

But what's sick about it, and I mean actually sick, is the US is far, far less healthy than Europe, in large part because the emphasis and embracement on physical activity in Europe. I see 80 year men and women on bicycles that can ride with more vigor than any age American!

Last edited by willpetras; 09-12-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-12-18, 02:03 PM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Aren't the groceries spoiled by the time you bicycle from Belgium to the US?

No wonder the concern...
Old 09-12-18, 02:13 PM
willpetras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
Aren't the groceries spoiled by the time you bicycle from Belgium to the US?

No wonder the concern...
No. For that ride I only carry non-perishables. I always look at expiration dates, too.
Old 09-12-18, 02:18 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by willpetras
In Belgium when I carry a bag of groceries, or other purchases, in a bag that hangs from the handlebars people give a look like "That's good. Enjoying yourself". It's like a status symbol. In the US I have literally had people, usually well-to-do older women, gasp in horror as if to say "How heathen! Our community is becoming a ghetto" I could actually hear the gasps. Amazing.
Really??? Where on earth do you live? I have been to the grocery near my home 100s if not 1000s of times on my bicycle. I have ridden through pharmacy drive troughs. No one has ever even given me a look.

I think you are imagining things.
Old 09-12-18, 02:27 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I won’t go so far as to say friendly, but Chicago is very bicycle aware.

Except for when it gets cold, something about riding in foul weather seems to threaten machismo.
Old 09-12-18, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The harassment and glowers I get never come from pedestrians. It's always drivers with some variation of "I own the road".
Old 09-12-18, 02:52 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I understand where you are coming from, and I must admit to looking down my nose at people who carry groceries and bags that hang from their handlebars. But my objection is that it interferes with steering and stability in a way that front or rear baskets, or panniers or a back rack does not.

Sometime in the last few months I did make a grocery run on my wife's comfort bike comma in street clothes, and with plastic grocery bags hanging from the handlebars, and it was a little disconcerting when turning.

But I think that car ownership and fuel costs are much lower in the United States than in Europe, which is to say car ownership and fuel costs are more expensive in Europe, so you have more middle and upper class citizens using public transportation, and bicycles, and that leads to more upscale bicyclists, bicycles, public transportation, and commuters compared to the United States.

I think the gentrification of cyclist is also evident in larger US cities where vehicle ownership is expensive due to space and parking constraints, and higher taxation and registration.

For the record, I try to avoid being classist and strive to be understanding. My bike commuting takes me through areas defined by homeless camps, homeless shelters, and homeless services. These areas tend to be lower-income and it is reflected in the homes, vehicles, bicycles and attire of the denizens and transients.
Old 09-12-18, 03:15 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You've been to two countries in Europe. Head over to London - it's the capital of the UK - and you'll find many, many people hate cyclists.

Moral? You can't draw conclusions from visiting 2 countries alone.

P.S. I dobn't want to seem harsh, but you do read like a 15 year old on their first trip outside the US.
Old 09-12-18, 03:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
"I can hear the gasps."

Why don't i believe this?
Old 09-12-18, 03:39 PM
willpetras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
You've been to two countries in Europe. Head over to London - it's the capital of the UK - and you'll find many, many people hate cyclists.

Moral? You can't draw conclusions from visiting 2 countries alone.

P.S. I dobn't want to seem harsh, but you do read like a 15 year old on their first trip outside the US.
I wasn't at all talking about people hating bicycles. I was talking about the attitude towards the idea of using a bicycle as a major form of transportation. I used the term "Europe" to describe the general sentiment of the continent. I have not been to the UK but my best guess is that someone using a bicycle to get groceries is not out of the ordinary. In the US it definitely is and is often looked down upon.
Old 09-12-18, 03:40 PM
willpetras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
"I can hear the gasps."

Why don't i believe this?
Because you never experienced it. I never thought that would happen, but id did on more than one occasion.
Old 09-12-18, 03:45 PM
willpetras

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Really??? Where on earth do you live? I have been to the grocery near my home 100s if not 1000s of times on my bicycle. I have ridden through pharmacy drive troughs. No one has ever even given me a look.

I think you are imagining things.
The first time it happened I lived in Rhode Island. There I have also had a supermarket employee see me in nice clothes pull up with my bicycle, a scene practically no one does, and gave the body language of saying to everyone else in the vicinity "Hey, this guy's a fake!". Really. There is a certain bird that does this. They way I remember it is the one bird will smear berries on it's feathers so it looks like a higher status bird. If I another bird discovers this charade it will peck it in front of other birds.

Last edited by willpetras; 09-12-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-12-18, 04:09 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
But what's sick about it, and I mean actually sick, is the US is far, far less healthy than Europe, in large part because the emphasis and embracement on physical activity in Europe. I see 80 year men and women on bicycles that can ride with more vigor than any age American!

Sounds like an overstatement to me. An exaggeration. Never had this experience here in America. Or anywhere else.

This is a strange thread. Nominated.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 09-12-18 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-12-18, 04:17 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
America, bro!!!
Old 09-12-18, 04:26 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
15 year olds don't read. They watch Youtube videos.
Old 09-12-18, 04:27 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
In the US I have literally had people, usually well-to-do older women, gasp in horror as if to say "How heathen!
They just are hating on your choice of chain lube.
Old 09-12-18, 04:44 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

The first time it happened I lived in Rhode Island. There I have also had a supermarket employee see me in nice clothes pull up with my bicycle, a scene practically no one does, and gave the body language of saying to everyone else in the vicinity "Hey, this guy's a fake!". Really. There is a certain bird that does this. They way I remember it is the one bird will smear berries on it's feathers so it looks like a higher status bird. If I another bird discovers this charade it will peck it in front of other birds.
"Body language". LOL.

Berries and birds??? What the .....??? :foo"

Yet another example of a thread that does not belong in General Cycling.
Old 09-12-18, 04:53 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I hang a grocery bag from my handlebar all the time. Nobody's ever given me a hard time. And the store is surrounded by retirement apartments, so there are plenty of well-to-do older women.

There are a number of reasons for the health differences in the US and Europe (access to health care, poverty, labor regulations), and in fact Europeans are catching up to the US on obesity.
Old 09-12-18, 05:12 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Preachy post full of prejudicial generalizations. I don't see the horrible culture you describe here in the US nor, when I lived in Europe, did I see the healthy vigorous utopia from the picture you painted. A little more open-mindedness is in order.
Old 09-12-18, 05:18 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Hanging grocery bags from the handlebars is unsafe and unwieldly. I'd gasp in horror too if I saw someone doing this. Now racks, panniers, and baskets, that's the way to go. You can literally carry a ton of stuff with these...okay, literally maybe 0.05 ton.
Old 09-12-18, 05:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
For profit health insurance companies , dumping the expensive to care for old people
without assets to strip, or having taken it all, still thrown out, on the street..
Old 09-12-18, 06:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Because you never experienced it. I never thought that would happen, but id did on more than one occasion.
Amazing!
Old 09-12-18, 06:49 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
For profit health insurance companies , dumping the expensive to care for old people
without assets to strip, or having taken it all, still thrown out, on the street..
Really Bob? What does this have to do with carrying groceries on handlebars?

Please dont' make this P and R.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-12-18, 06:51 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts

Just curious... you don't want to seem harsh but you felt the need to point this out for what reason?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-12-18, 07:03 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Wear your tin foil hat to the grocery like the rest of us and no one will notice you. But it must be tin. I repeat tin not aluminum but tin. Aluminum won't do squat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.