Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Bike Packer Pannier Help!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 03-23-19, 07:15 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

I am unable to physically examine this product at any bricks and mortar stores.
MY GOAL: I'm seeking to additionally use the panniers to act as a tennis-training/coaching ball bag, to be removed from my bike and hung off of a modified photo tripod as shown below.

I would like to get the Bike Packers, but they have the top flap and I'm wondering where it would go when placed on my new-fangled tripod hanger...

I'm also concerned about opening and the drawstring setup.
Will I be able to readily access the balls without fuss?
Thanks in advance!

Portable On-Court Pannier Hanger
Old 03-23-19, 10:19 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
The horizontal bar looks thicker than racks I've seen. My Ortlieb panniers will accept racks up to 12mm I think.
Old 03-23-19, 10:25 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

That's actually a hypothetical bar that's much thicker than a rack tube, done-up for this post. I will be using 6061 ALU Tubing in 3/8". about 9.5mm...
My concern is the lid and opening on the Bike Packer pannier.
Old 03-23-19, 10:54 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
well, I think this takes the cake for a particularly curious question about bike panniers!

you'd have to hold the lid up somehow, a simple system to hold it to the top of the tripod would work, but then roller type ortliebs would work easier,

next question is of course......lets set up a lottery thing where we have to guess how many balls it can hold....the winner gets free tennis lessons.

--my guess is 64
Old 03-24-19, 12:39 AM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by djb
well, I think this takes the cake for a particularly curious question about bike panniers!

you'd have to hold the lid up somehow, a simple system to hold it to the top of the tripod would work, but then roller type ortliebs would work easier,

next question is of course......lets set up a lottery thing where we have to guess how many balls it can hold....the winner gets free tennis lessons.

--my guess is 64
Good guess! My Gamma Travel Ball Bag holds 150 balls and is 2031 cu in , about 33L. I was thinking a pair of panniers would do the job, but I'll have even more capacity @40L.
I figured the roll tops would be better...I've been looking at those neato Arkel Orca 45s...
BTW, if you ever find yourself in the Chino Hills, CA area, give me a holler for a free tennis tune-up!
Old 03-24-19, 05:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I would get a couple of mesh stuff sacks and a pair of grocery shopping panniers to put them in. But, thats me.
Old 03-24-19, 08:01 AM
djb

if its highly unlikely it will rain, and if you wont be using the panniers for commuting/touring, there are lots of less expensive panniers out there.
I have been sold on Ortlieb since about 93 or 94, so I appreciate a well made product, but like everything, only you know how much you want to spend and how much you will use them.

ps, tks for the lessons offer, last time I was in Ca. was in 94 when I biked down the coast.
pps, my old Ortliebs are still alive and being used by members of the family.

Last edited by djb; 03-24-19 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-24-19, 08:13 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
I am unable to physically examine this product at any bricks and mortar stores.
MY GOAL: I'm seeking to additionally use the panniers to act as a tennis-training/coaching ball bag, to be removed from my bike and hung off of a modified photo tripod as shown below.

I would like to get the Bike Packers, but they have the top flap and I'm wondering where it would go when placed on my new-fangled tripod hanger...

I'm also concerned about opening and the drawstring setup.
Will I be able to readily access the balls without fuss?

Thanks in advance!

Portable On-Court Pannier Hanger
I have a set of the Ortlieb Back Rollers - simple and effective - 2441 c.i. volume per bag according to Ortlieb. And, if you leave the top unrolled (open to the sky) you can pack stuff into them all the way to the rim of the bag - adds another 500 c.i. or so. When unrolled you can simply reach into the open-topped bag for access

Not cheap, but very nice and multi-purpose.

Old 03-24-19, 08:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
Because the attachment system is below the top of the pannier you should simply be able to roll back the top.

Took this for you just now.

Old 03-24-19, 10:21 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
I have a set of the Ortlieb Back Rollers - simple and effective - 2441 c.i. volume per bag according to Ortlieb. And, if you leave the top unrolled (open to the sky) you can pack stuff into them all the way to the rim of the bag - adds another 500 c.i. or so. When unrolled you can simply reach into the open-topped bag for access

Not cheap, but very nice and multi-purpose.

This was my thought too if you want to get the balls right out of the bag. It will take a little more effort as you get to the bottom of the bag.

Someone else mentioned putting the balls in a canvas bag and hanging the canvas bag on the rack. Without knowing what your ultimate objective and possible other issues with this idea, it seems to be a good idea too.
Old 03-24-19, 10:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
2 kinds of top hooks original 10 mm , was dialed for 10mm/3/8" tube of Tubus racks..

later, current hook, they increased the bare hook size 16mm, and have inserts for 11 & 8mm..

They, current hooks , can be retrofitted to older bags.. I have done so..

their shopping bag line is a bit cheaper than the touring back roller..

Old 03-24-19, 12:44 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Fietsbob I am installing new clips as I have lost a few. Have you ever added a bit of "adhesive" to keep them in their place?
Old 03-24-19, 01:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Fietsbob I am installing new clips as I have lost a few. Have you ever added a bit of "adhesive" to keep them in their place?
I haven't but good idea. I'd guess the sturdier of the double sided tape from Home Depot would do nicely. Thanks.

And to that pannier hanger - it sounds like you can set it up with your choice of crossbar. If so - get the panniers first, Set them up to the racks on your bike. Ride it and use the panniers. Only then, get a crossbar to match your racks. Ortleib supplies several different clip spacers. Nice for that perfect fit, But, you do not want to have to change out spacers to go from one to another. For one thing, that would defeat the double sided tape. And if you cannot match the bike rack, you want the indoor rack to be smaller. (You will never notice rattling from an uneven indoor floor. Your indoor rack just doesn't go that fast - I hope!)

Ben
Old 03-24-19, 04:13 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
My Ortlebs are about 9 or 10 years old, not sure if that means that the hooks are new style or old. But the little inserts that you put in the hooks to make them fit the rack tubing size, I do not use the inserts. In the photo you can see I used some clear PVC tubing from the hardware store, I believe it was 1/2 inch OD and 3/8 inch ID, slit length wise so I could put it on the rack. Then wrapped some electrical tape in several spots to hold it there. Under the Ortlieb hooks there are a few layers of electric tape too, just enough so that the pannier hooks do not rattle. The rack is a Tubus Logo EVO, bought in 2012 it was one of the first of the EVO versions.

I also use that PVC tubing over part of the rack to reduce or eliminate the pannier from wearing on the rack lower down on the rack.

I did not invent this idea, I got the idea for the PVC tubing on the internet from someone else years ago.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-24-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 05:40 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Tourist, we to have the same rack and I just repainted them this winter. I used Gorilla tape in all the areas where we seemed to get "wear" or rubbing. This year's 3 months in Europe will tell if my improvement helps!
Old 03-25-19, 06:59 AM
djb

Tourist, we to have the same rack and I just repainted them this winter. I used Gorilla tape in all the areas where we seemed to get "wear" or rubbing. This year's 3 months in Europe will tell if my improvement helps!
it should help a lot. Look also at where the lower pannier tab goes against the rack,and if you want, where the pannier back goes against the rack also.
In my opinion, the main part is the top rails, to reduce the movement over bumps, which logically move the entire pannier, which results in the back and forth up and down rubbing against the rack at all the contact points.

The only downside is that by making the upper rails so thick that all or nearly all movement is eliminated, you often have to take a bit more time to open the movable lower part of the attachment system, the one that wraps down underneath the rail, the sprung part.

The few extra seconds do not bother me at all. It might for you.
To me its worth having very little pannier movement over rough terrain.

This happens with all of my bikes that Ive done this to, I had no choice because I had removed the inner adapters for a trip for one bike, things were too loose on the other bikes, and while I am adapt at taking out and putting in the adapters without breaking them (there is a certain technique), it is a pain in the keester to do, and I knew I would break one at some point, so I just "fattened" up all my rack top rails to work without adapters.
Old 03-25-19, 01:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No, I have the 8mm inserts on my older sport packer plus I use Daily on my Bike Friday , Front Rack

alternative is the Original QL 1 Hooks which are just for the 10mm tube of Tubus Racks.. no removable inserts .
..https://www.ortlieb.com/us/products/...pare-parts?p=1 german site ..