Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Lets talk fenders

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Lets talk fenders

Old 07-26-19, 09:59 PM
N00dle

Bikes: 2001 Giant Rincon SE, 2019 Motobecane Turino Expert Mantis Green

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets talk fenders

Ok so i recently purchased a Motobecane Turino Expert and it can take tires up to 45mm so fenders of the same size. I have a Topeak Super Tourist non disc on the back which is fine because the disc brake hardware is inside the rear triangle so it doesn't interfere, however the front is another issue. the braze-on in the front is another issue. It's inset on the fork a bit and then the brake hardware does come into play a bit.

I'm going to obviously need some spacers to help with this but still want to go as minimal as possible. I initally purchased some Planet Bike Hardcore fenders because I like their slightly less coverage than the Cascadia line because I don't need them to sit so low on the tire like the Cascadia does. Anyway the Hardcore wouldn't fit stock and I don't quite know what I need for spacers so I sent them back. If need be I'll get them again.

So 2 questions.

1. What is a good size spacer for what should be M5 bolts for that locations. Mainly the OD of the spacer I know this is more of an aesthetic thing but I want the spacer to be about the same size as he standard M5 bolt. Then I guess I need to figure out how much extra length i need in the bolt.

2. I want something lightweight if possible and that also has a good solid single stay or a one piece vstay. The Hardcores have a Vstay on the rear but two separate stays in the font that would in my case require an even larger spacer.

Handsome Cycles has some nice hammered aluminum ones but I thought something from SKS or elsewhere could be better for weight. https://handsomecycles.com/products/black-fenders

I was thinking the SKS Edge AL 46 but those might not fit. I have some regular Bluemels on another bike and they are fine but are a pin to install. the seatstay mount on this bike is also horizontal instead of vertical so the clip needs to be metal so i can bend it or some form of mounting as such.
Old 07-27-19, 10:04 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Maybe it's me, but I'm not clear on the issue. Pics would go a long way here. A single stay on the front is helpful when dealing with disc brakes but that doesn't mean a V style can't be cut to a single. A Dremel with a cutting wheel can be used to cut off the unused bracket tabs back at the fender. BTW, you'll need fenders slightly wider than the tires -- so 45's need at least 50mm fenders.

-Kedosto
Old 07-27-19, 10:18 AM
N00dle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Maybe it's me, but I'm not clear on the issue. Pics would go a long way here. A single stay on the front is helpful when dealing with disc brakes but that doesn't mean a V style can't be cut to a single. A Dremel with a cutting wheel can be used to cut off the unused bracket tabs back at the fender. BTW, you'll need fenders slightly wider than the tires -- so 45's need at least 50mm fenders.

-Kedosto
Sorry. So the Hardcore fenders have 2 single stays per side on the rear so the eyelets overlap and with the rack installed makes it more difficult to judge the lengths of bolt needed and the way it attaches to a single braze-on compared to a single vstay with a single eyelet.

Max fender width of course would be 45mm.
Old 07-27-19, 11:22 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Not sure if this suggestion is even close but I began using my old Trek 2120 as my commuter. Eyelets were limited. I decided to try the SKS Raceblade. I was a bit concerned they would slip or cause other problems. So far, over a year of short but regular commuting, they have worked great. I have not had to do anything to them. https://www.sks-germany.com/en/produ...eblade-pro-xl/
Old 07-27-19, 11:56 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by N00dle
Sorry. So the Hardcore fenders have 2 single stays per side on the rear so the eyelets overlap and with the rack installed makes it more difficult to judge the lengths of bolt needed and the way it attaches to a single braze-on compared to a single vstay with a single eyelet.

Max fender width of course would be 45mm.
Well then it sounds like you have two choices...

1) Mount the fender and stack the stays along with the rack. You'll need longer screws, but how much longer is dependent on the rack and stay thickness. The good news is that the screws are cheap, so make your best guess and buy a few pairs in different lengths. If you stick with bicycling you'll use all of them eventually. If you're concerned, track down stainless steel so they don't rust.

2) Buy a set of these fender stays which combine the two stays into one. The screws you're already using for the rack might even have enough length. If not, take one with you to the hardware store and buy a pair slightly longer -- stainless or whatever.

Put a single drop of BLUE locktite on the threads before tightening down on the final fit.

-Kedosto

Edited to add: 3) Cut off the middle stay mount so the fender will only mount at three attachment points; down at the bottom bracket, the seatstay bridge, and single stay at the tail end of the fender.

Last edited by Kedosto; 07-27-19 at 11:59 AM. Reason: 3rd choice
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 07-27-19, 07:29 PM
N00dle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
Well then it sounds like you have two choices...

1) Mount the fender and stack the stays along with the rack. You'll need longer screws, but how much longer is dependent on the rack and stay thickness. The good news is that the screws are cheap, so make your best guess and buy a few pairs in different lengths. If you stick with bicycling you'll use all of them eventually. If you're concerned, track down stainless steel so they don't rust.

2) Buy a set of these fender stays which combine the two stays into one. The screws you're already using for the rack might even have enough length. If not, take one with you to the hardware store and buy a pair slightly longer -- stainless or whatever.

Put a single drop of BLUE locktite on the threads before tightening down on the final fit.

-Kedosto

Edited to add: 3) Cut off the middle stay mount so the fender will only mount at three attachment points; down at the bottom bracket, the seatstay bridge, and single stay at the tail end of the fender.
Thanks. yeah those are basically the same stays that are on my other bike with the bluemel fenders. I'm trying to make sure I get the right parts prior to getting the right parts so to say. I don't want to deal with returns and the wait if I don't have to but then again that's just me being antsy about getting this set up.
Old 07-31-19, 08:49 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Whatever you do, dont cut off the middle attachment points. Plastic fenders need all that support. Too flimsy without them.
Old 08-01-19, 05:57 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's been a while since I've had to deal with this because the fork I'm currently using has fender mounts above the disc caliper mounts.

My old fork did have the problem you're talking about. I used one of the spacers that came with my Planet Bike fenders.

That's sticking out a little further than it needs to, but it was convenient and not so bad that I cared. If you wanted a cleaner solution you could visit the hardware store and look for a different spacer. They're available in many sizes. You could also stack a bunch of washer to figure out what you need. Basically anything that the bolt will fit through should do the job. If you really want to look pro, you could also experiment with bending the fender stay around the brake caliper. This would require a lot of skill and you'd pretty much only get one shot at it, but if you did it right it could look very clean.

The part of your question that I don't understand is the bit about preferring the Hardcores because they have less coverage. For the front fender to do its job, you really want it as close to the ground as is practical. Anything more than a couple of inches and you'll be throwing water and grime on your feet and drivetrain. Even the Cascadias are really ineffective in this regard without a mudflap extension. The fender I'd recommend is the SKS Longboard. Compare:

Planet Bike Cascadia

SKS Longboard