Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What happened to NASHBAR?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-28-19, 04:38 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts

If there's another thread on this I didn't find it so maybe I'm late to the party but...... WTH happened to NASHBAR?! I hadn't been on their site for a few months as my bike hobby was on hold, I went back on to pick up some tires and no more NASHBAR store brand tires, no more killer sales, just a few measly bucks off regular prices on so called "sales"....... They were my go to for tires for people that had me resurrect their old bikes because I could put decent tires on their bikes for less than what they'd spend at WalMart and I had a lot of older people (even older than me) bring me their old bikes to fix up so they could start riding them again.

Who are these impostors and what have they done with NASHBAR?!
Old 07-28-19, 04:50 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
Performance bought Nashbar and ran them into ground on the same plane they were sitting on.

That about sums it up.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 07-28-19, 04:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
From November of last year:

"Advanced Sport Enterprises, the 2-year-old company that is parent to the Performance Bicycle retail chain, Bike Nashbar and distributor ASI, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Friday morning. The move is likely to lead to the closure of at least 40 Performance stores in the coming months; the chain currently has 104 locations."

Selling stuff for less than absolutely everyone else cannot last forever.
Old 07-28-19, 04:52 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Performance bought Nashbar and ran them into ground on the same plane they were sitting on.

That about sums it up.
Thank you, that explains it all. I remember way back when Performance was decent to buy from too but that's been a long time ago.
Old 07-28-19, 04:55 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
"They went full-******. Never go full-******" !

(can't believe the auto-censor zapped this classic quote from "Tropic Thunder" )
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 07-28-19, 05:00 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,810 Posts
1974 Bike Nashbar founded

1981 Performance Bicycle founded

2000 Performance buys Nashbar

2002 Performance buys Supergo

2007 North Castle Partners buy Performance

2007 Performance ends Supergo brand

2016 ASI buys Performance from NCP. ASE formed as parent of ASI and Performance/Nashbar

2018 Performance & Nashbar warehousing & shipping merged

2018 ASE files Chapter 11

ASE = Advanced Sports Enterprises - parent of ASI, formed in 2016 when ASI bought Performance
ASI = Advanced Sports International
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 07-28-19, 05:04 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Ditto for Niagara Cycle. I quit buying from Nashbar quite a few years ago when some of my favorite Nashbar branded items disappeared. You can still find decent deals on tires on eBay by looking for them using the "price plus shipping lowest" in place of "Best Match".
Old 07-28-19, 05:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
From November of last year:

"Advanced Sport Enterprises, the 2-year-old company that is parent to the Performance Bicycle retail chain, Bike Nashbar and distributor ASI, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Friday morning. The move is likely to lead to the closure of at least 40 Performance stores in the coming months; the chain currently has 104 locations."

Selling stuff for less than absolutely everyone else cannot last forever.
Which is just about the time I put the bikes on mothballs until recently......
Old 07-28-19, 05:29 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
...... WTH happened to NASHBAR?! ....... no more NASHBAR store brand tires.....
Yep, this sucks. A year or so ago, I snagged several spare Nashbar 26" road-friendly 1.75" mtn tires that I got great service from and really liked, so I'm bummed to hear they're gone now.
I believe I got them on sale and with free shipping, at around $13 apiece. A least that bike has a near-new set on it, and 2-3 more hanging in the garage.
But honestly, I miss Supergo ( and Pricepoint) more than I'll miss Nashbar and Performance.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 07-28-19, 06:18 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Brocephus
Yep, this sucks. A year or so ago, I snagged several spare Nashbar 26" road-friendly 1.75" mtn tires that I got great service from and really liked, so I'm bummed to hear they're gone now.
I believe I got them on sale and with free shipping, at around $13 apiece. A least that bike has a near-new set on it, and 2-3 more hanging in the garage.
But honestly, I miss Supergo ( and Pricepoint) more than I'll miss Nashbar and Performance.
Their "Elevator" MTB tires were some of the best snow tires I've used, let them go with my first Winter bike. I regret letting both it and the tires go, it's replacement hasn't worked nearly as well. Although I got a really nice '86 Team FUJI in trade plus cash.
Old 07-29-19, 09:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts

(can't believe the auto-censor zapped this classic quote from "Tropic Thunder" )
You are actually surprised? Really? Thats absurd.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-29-19, 09:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts

That's been taboo for a long time. The latest ban is ****. Inside prior to the securing.
Old 07-29-19, 09:23 AM
TXBDan

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX, Trek Checkpoint

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Another falls to Amazon.
Old 07-29-19, 10:16 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You are actually surprised? Really? Thats absurd.
No, what's absurd is that you were actually compelled to post your opinion that it was absurd. And what's also absurd is the degree that people have succumbed to politically correct brainwashing, so that mere words are now met with hyperventilating gasps of shock, calls for their job termination, and ultimately, sentencing to re-education camps. (which, believe it or not, is exactly the road we're on with this PC lunacy).
Old 07-29-19, 10:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

No, what's absurd is that you were actually compelled to post your opinion that it was absurd. And what's also absurd is the degree that people have succumbed to politically correct brainwashing, so that mere words are now met with hyperventilating gasps of shock, calls for their job termination, and ultimately, sentencing to re-education camps. (which, believe it or not, is exactly the road we're on with this PC lunacy).
I chose to post a response because it was funny that you were surprised this site wouldnt let you type that.

As for the rest of your post- thats a lot of pent up ranting. You call it PC brainwashing, and others call it being conscientious of others. I really cant comment on your claim that we are going to be sent to re-education camps just for using certain words since thats so far beyond anything I can grasp as logical much less impending, but hey we all have our version of reality and yours seems super scary.

You arent a comedian and arent in a comedy- whats acceptable in those settings isnt necessarily acceptable in all settings. This is a pretty easy concept to grasp, I trust you can understand it even if it angers you.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-29-19, 10:44 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I'm sorry your low-quality online store for fred parts has changed.
Old 07-29-19, 10:52 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12633 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
The owners of this site prefer not to have that word published on their site. If you need to use that word while discussing cycling you could create your own site, others have done so on at least one occasion.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-29-19, 10:56 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
If there's another thread on this I didn't find it so maybe I'm late to the party but...... WTH happened to NASHBAR?! I hadn't been on their site for a few months as my bike hobby was on hold, I went back on to pick up some tires and no more NASHBAR store brand tires, no more killer sales, just a few measly bucks off regular prices on so called "sales"....... They were my go to for tires for people that had me resurrect their old bikes because I could put decent tires on their bikes for less than what they'd spend at WalMart and I had a lot of older people (even older than me) bring me their old bikes to fix up so they could start riding them again.

Who are these impostors and what have they done with NASHBAR?!
All the Nashbar branded tires are sold out, only Forte "store brand" tires will be available going forward I think. A lot of them overlapped anyways, nashbar / forte stickers on the same tires.
Old 07-29-19, 01:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
But I bet you know where you can get a $300 carbon fiber stem cap.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-29-19, 01:25 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts

I hate censors.
Old 07-29-19, 01:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Nashbar had a mix of low quality and high quality. It had a mix of fred and non-fred too. It was an excellent site up until the last 18months when inventory began dropping.

Great place for some good jersey, sock, and glove deals. The ever changing inventory of bar tape would net good buys at times. Many solid tire deals thru the years on quality tires. I have a handful of Nashbar/Forte branded tools that have lasted and were much cheaper than Pedro/Park. Oh, and the ever changing saddle stock was great too- picked up a few quality saddles for good prices thru the years. Wheels too- Ive bought a few sets and the value for cost is/was excellent for each.

Looking back- when Nashbar stopped restocking their generic road, cx, and MTB frames- the end was near. Thats also around when they stopped stocking their house branded carbon forks, shifters, etc and the overall component selection dropped.

Anyways- I get that its fun to call the site a fred supporter, but it ran the gamut in terms of price and quality.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-29-19, 02:12 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Nashbar had a mix of low quality and high quality. It had a mix of fred and non-fred too. It was an excellent site up until the last 18months when inventory began dropping.

Great place for some good jersey, sock, and glove deals. The ever changing inventory of bar tape would net good buys at times. Many solid tire deals thru the years on quality tires. I have a handful of Nashbar/Forte branded tools that have lasted and were much cheaper than Pedro/Park. Oh, and the ever changing saddle stock was great too- picked up a few quality saddles for good prices thru the years. Wheels too- Ive bought a few sets and the value for cost is/was excellent for each.

Looking back- when Nashbar stopped restocking their generic road, cx, and MTB frames- the end was near. Thats also around when they stopped stocking their house branded carbon forks, shifters, etc and the overall component selection dropped.

Anyways- I get that its fun to call the site a fred supporter, but it ran the gamut in terms of price and quality.
I actually agree with you. I just found OP to be distasteful and easily triggered.
Old 07-29-19, 02:18 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I actually agree with you. I just found OP to be distasteful and easily triggered.
Distatesful?

I think the OP was just in shock, as one might be if one hadn't noticed what was happening to the site in 2018 and 2019.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-29-19, 03:39 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Nashbar and Performance had some great-value 26 x 1.25" slick tread kevlar-protected tires for more than a few years. Forte Metro K was one. Often on sale - they were really great deals when a Performance store was near me - no shipping fees.
Old 07-29-19, 03:56 PM
Murray Missile 

I'm glad I could help you bolster your low self esteem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.