Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

WI Route: Kenosha to Genoa City?

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 09:49 AM
Fixed Up North

Bikes: A few more than my fair share.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any SE Wisconsin riders have suggestions or recommendations for a route from Kenosha to Genoa City? I live in Minneapolis, but I am from Milwaukee originally. I am going to be in Wisconsin visiting family for a week and plan on riding from Milwaukee to my grandparent's house in Illinois. I've found a good route to Kenosha, and there is a bike path that runs from Genoa City to within a few blocks of my grandparent's house. After looking at Google maps, I am thinking of heading West from Kenosha on 60th Street, that should take me most of the way to Genoa City. It looks okay from the satellite, but one never knows until they get there. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-03-06, 10:01 AM
shider

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Trek 2300, Trek Portland, Schwinn Homegrown, Cannondale Road Tandem, Schwinn Le Tour Commuter, Gary Fisher Paragon 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out these maps:
https://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/...countymaps.htm
I don't actually have any experience with the Wisconsin maps but I find the Illinois equivilent very helpful.
Old 10-03-06, 10:46 AM
Fixed Up North

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that link; that's a great reference. It looks like my planned route for this segment of the trip is labeled "High Volume, Undesireable Conditions" without a paved shoulder. Unless someone with some experience on 60th St. (Hwy K) tells me it's not that bad, I will probably head West on N and NN instead.
Old 10-03-06, 06:41 PM
roadracine
Cooler by the lake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
60th st. is 2 lanes west of Green Bay rd. and has no shoulders plus deep ditches. They lowered the speed to 35 mph, but it's still lousy.After hyw. H, it's wider and calms down . West of the freeway, it's nice.
Old 10-03-06, 06:44 PM
JPW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at maps from our bike club. https://www.mchenrybicycleclub.org/MC...CBC%20maps.htm
Also trail south from Genoa City is not for a road bike. Try Keystone south to East on Barnard Mill and then pick up trail. Have a good ride. John
Old 10-03-06, 09:41 PM
Fixed Up North

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
roadracine: Thanks for the heads up. I am thinking that I will head West a little further North of 60th st., at least until 94.

JPW: I was going to ride my cyclocross bike, planning on the dirt road section south of Genoa City. Do you think it's too much for a cross bike? I'll take a look at those maps, thanks for the input.
Old 10-04-06, 06:38 AM
JPW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross bike will be fine. John
Old 10-04-06, 08:30 AM
Fixed Up North

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks. I'll post a ride recap when I return. The plan is to make the trip this weekend. I appreciate the insider's perspective.
Old 10-17-06, 04:35 AM
riedelmeister

Bikes: 700c commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps 75th St (HWY 50) is a better choice? It's pretty busy, but wide and 4 lanes divided with a full shoulder. All the way to Lake Geneva.
Old 10-17-06, 10:43 AM
Fixed Up North

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks reidelmeister. I intended to ride N west out of Kenosha, but I missed the turn and rode west on 45th street and the 158. I took that to the interstate, hopped on the frontage road south to K, and rode west on K for several miles. I had printed some maps from the link that shider provided above. With those I threaded my way west and south to Genoa City.

It was a great trip, although slower than I had planned. I took my cross bike because of the bike paths I wanted to use. It's set up with a 1x8 drive train (great for racing, not for long rides) and cross tires. I don't usually notice how much slower this bike is than my road bike, but over almost 90 miles, the difference is great.

Here is the route I took:
Leg 1 - Shorewood to Kenosha
Leg 2 - Kenosha to McHenry

Thanks for the information about the roads.