Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Another Pacific Coast Question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 03:30 PM
spike57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For Portland to Astoria to San Francisco this summer, I plan to relax and take my time. What are the best locales on that route to pick as my rest days and why?
Old 04-11-11, 11:29 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
I took a day last year at Jedediah Smith State park near Crescent City CA. There was some great hiking amongst the redwoods and it was a nice break from the ocean for a while.
Old 04-11-11, 11:39 AM
ClemY

Bikes: Hollands Touring Bike, Schwinn mountain bike, folding bike, tandem and triple

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seem to need a rest day after three or four days of riding. I expect to average around 50 mi. per day, usually making the first day a little shorter, say 35 mi. No matter how much conditioning you do before your ride, it probably won’t be enough. The first days are conditioning days. After my first rest day, I seem to be good to go for as long as necessary, although I will sometimes take a rest day after a particularly hard day, like I did on Nova Scotia when I rode across the ridge line and had to pedal down hill into a pretty stiff head wind for a total of 75 mi. You can plan your route and see where you anticipate ending up after three or four days. Portland to Astoria is probably two days, then down the coast one or two days.

It also depends on weather and riding conditions, like hills. Riding in a cold rain is very draining on me as a rider. When I rode from Seattle to San Francisco, my fourth day was a cold, rainy, hilly day from Longview to Astoria. I took a rest day in Astoria and felt fine after that.
Old 04-11-11, 12:31 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Newport, OR is a nice place to take a day off. The bike shop there has a nice lounge area with laundry equipment you can use, nice lodging and camping near the beach, restaurants and good food available in Old Town and it's the right distance from the start of your ride.

Arcata, CA is also a nice little town to take a break in, or Guerneville, CA on the Russian River, just off the coast.
Old 04-11-11, 04:29 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I never plan my rest days, I just take them when I need or want them.
Old 04-11-11, 06:09 PM
BWF

Bikes: Touring & Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode from Astoria to San Francisco last year in three weeks from the end of September to mid October. There really are no bad places to take a rest day. My only regret is not taking addtional time to ride the Lost Coast Loop. There are enough hill climbs thoughout the ACA route that I just took rest days when my body felt like it was needed. If you are camping, the Oregon State parks are excellent. If you are staying in hotels, then maybe you will want to stay an extra day in Seaside and Mendocino. The Avenue of the Giants is another great place to spend an extra day. There's no bad choice for that tour.
Old 04-11-11, 11:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Been to the Maritime Museum in Astoria?
Old 04-12-11, 11:39 AM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I second Jed Smith State Park. Warm showers, beautiful scenery and one of the most pristine rivers is the US, the Smith. Only problem is there are not really any places to resupply with food in/around the park. Its about 7-8 miles off of the Pacifc Route, complete flat ride, but probably 45 minutes out of your way.
Old 04-12-11, 11:51 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
I second Jed Smith State Park. Warm showers, beautiful scenery and one of the most pristine rivers is the US, the Smith. Only problem is there are not really any places to resupply with food in/around the park. Its about 7-8 miles off of the Pacifc Route, complete flat ride, but probably 45 minutes out of your way.
There is a small convenience type store about a mile beyond the park entrance up 199 where some food is available. Yes the river is exceptional and the biker sites are really nice.
Old 04-12-11, 08:04 PM
JoeMan
Question Authority

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo 30, 2007 REI Novara Safari and Cannondale MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride sections of the Oregon route often since I live S of PDX. I particularly like Pacific City. Long wide beaches, surfing culture and just enough services. If you are looking for a place to stay the Anchorage Motel is in town and near the beach.
Old 04-13-11, 06:28 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brookings is a nice stop. The hiker/biker sites are nice, and it's a nice little town (with a Fred Meyer).
Old 04-13-11, 07:24 PM
liamof

Bikes: 2003 T800 Cannondale, 2015 Tournado Dehon break down touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Venita just east of Florance Oregon, if you happen to be riding the same weekend as the Oregon Country Fair. Don't forget your tie dye tee shirt.
Also love the tunnels in Oregon where you have the press the button and peddle like mad.
Liam
Old 04-13-11, 07:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just an update: OCF is the weekend after the 4th of July,
But now you have to buy your admission pass
before you get there , there are No Gate sales..

no camping in the fair, but for the vendors minding their stuff, and service volunteers.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-14-11 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 12:30 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_biker
There is a small convenience type store about a mile beyond the park entrance up 199 where some food is available. Yes the river is exceptional and the biker sites are really nice.
Yeah, the one in Hiouchi.
Old 04-14-11, 07:05 PM
Norsman

Bikes: Trek 520, Norco MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on what you like to do on days off. When I rode this route I found it was best to just get to a place and then decide whether or not to rest up. Sometimes it was the beaches, other times it was the local brew pub, once or twice it was because I was tired. Harris Beach State Park just north of Brookings was a great stop. Nice hiker/biker site, great ocean views and it even had a laundromat. And a decent size town with good stores just a little down the road.