Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car-Free outings for otherwise car-heavies

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 10:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So I’d like to re-state that question that I asked on 2/17, What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads?
When old posts/threads are looked up and commented on by one poster, it gives another poster on LCF an opportunity to bellyache about referencing so-called zombie threads.

Such earnest complaints are always entertaining.
Old 02-20-17, 10:21 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads?

You should know... Aren't you the one who is constantly digging up old zombie replys and posts which other people made way back long years ago and then quoting them ??...I don't mean this as an insult but it's just very difficult to figure out what you're trying to say.
Old 02-20-17, 11:00 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by wolfchild
You should know... Aren't you the one who is constantly digging up old zombie replys and posts which other people made way back long years ago and then quoting them ??...I don't mean this as an insult but it's just very difficult to figure out what you're trying to say.
It is like the cyclists who continue to shout "on your left" at pedestrians despite the knowledge that that method of communication often confuses the intended recipients and is ignored because of its delivery "style". Makes the shouter feel good though.

I deal with the unique posting style by either ignoring or reading ONLY the bottom line, literally.
Old 02-20-17, 12:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
…So I’d like to re-state that question that I asked on 2/17, What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads?
Actually, my question is ”What is the value or utility to you of looking up old posts/threads?” Personally, I have posted on a few occasions what it means to me in the context of my posting style.

For example, @I-Like-to-Bike replied to the above question,
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
When old posts/threads are looked up and commented on by one poster, it gives another poster on LCF an opportunity to bellyache about referencing so-called zombie threads.

Such earnest complaints are always entertaining
Earlier in this thread I, like Rowan, touted the conversational style of threads on Bike Forums. I ‘m intrigued by the quote linking function of this website, and the quote box is for me a graphic representation of a conversation easily identifying the various participants of the (imaginary) conversation I have constructed, and providing reference to their quotes.

The quotes I choose are not IMO “zombie quotes,” but rather are important, relevant, and/or well-written. FWIW. I would hope the authors would consider themselves admired for their comments.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you.
[MEMO to the OP @tandempower:
It seems that I innocently started the brouhaha on this current thread, when I wrote:
…I recall a fairly recent thread, perhaps started by you, Machka, asking how do you sell an LCF/LCL lifestyle (in general),but to my dismay I couldn’t find it…
Sorry for the disruption; if you want to delete this thread, that’s fine with me. Nonetheless, it has certainly been worthy of comment. I hope you recall that my first replies were pertinent to the subject as I understood it, “Car-free outings for otherwise car-heavies,” including the proposal of a car-free weekend in Boston.

MEMO to @Roody, @Machka, and @Rowan:I felt comfortable in poking my nose into your public dispute since I initiated it, and over the years have read so many of your posts that I know you all, electronically at least. Besides, it a public holiday here in the US (President's Day), and I have time to kill.]

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-20-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 12:22 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Such earnest complaints are always entertaining.
Oh for goodness sake, he's just reading through threads and replying to thoughts posted without regard for how long ago they were posted. What's wrong with that? The benefit of internet is that it keeps a record of everything so there's no quality-degradation in a post written a day ago or five years back.
Old 02-20-17, 12:27 PM
tandempower

It is like the cyclists who continue to shout "on your left" at pedestrians despite the knowledge that that method of communication often confuses the intended recipients and is ignored because of its delivery "style".
Why would people ignore it? If someone shouts, "on your left" while I am walking, I look over my left shoulder and move to the right a bit to give them passing room. While they go by, I say thank you because it can be really startling when you don't hear a passing cyclist until they're right next to you.

I have a bike with a silent freewheel so I'd be rich if I had a nickel for every time someone got started because I forgot to warn them before passing. If I'm going slow, I might just say, "excuse me," but if I think it will help, I will mention which side I'm planning to pass them on, so they can look and decide where to walk.
Old 02-20-17, 12:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The quotes I choose are not IMO “zombie quotes,” but rather are important, relevant, and/or well-written. FWIW.
The belly aching about referencing so-called zombie threads is usually directed at Machka, the same poster who has been castigated for not preserving zombie threads.

My comments about your threads are about the difficulty in reading such a stilted posting style. You and some other posters may find it clever, but I am not the only one who has pointed out to you the problems in trying to separate the wheat from the chaff with such an awkward arrangement of quotes and comments.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-20-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 01:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Why would people ignore it? If someone shouts, "on your left" while I am walking, I look over my left shoulder and move to the right a bit to give them passing room. While they go by, I say thank you because it can be really startling when you don't hear a passing cyclist until they're right next to you.

I have a bike with a silent freewheel so I'd be rich if I had a nickel for every time someone got started because I forgot to warn them before passing. If I'm going slow, I might just say, "excuse me," but if I think it will help, I will mention which side I'm planning to pass them on, so they can look and decide where to walk.

That's what bells and horns are for...I've been using bells for many years and it never fails, I've even had pedestrian thank me for using a bell...Shouting "on your left" is just asking to be slapped, personally I find it very irritating...Everybody can recognize a sound of a bell but not everybody can recognize or understand some incoherent blabbering being shouted at them by some guy on a bicycle.
Old 02-20-17, 02:15 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Excellent!

And just remember that any of us can delete our own threads. Comments on a forum, like life, are merely temporary. Like Rowan says ... discussions here are like those which might occur in a pub. They aren't doctoral theses. However, if there are comments I make which I think I might use again, I save them in a file. Then I copy and paste them into threads as desired.

Now do you think you can stop being rude ... stop hijacking this thread with your petty complaints?

-------------------------

BTW - if you want some of your Words of Wisdom back, here you go ... I quote Roody ...

"I don't know that being positive is necessarily the best way to sell LCF. Maybe some negative stuff would work better? Point out the bad things about driving...it's expensive, it's boring, it's dangerous, etc. "

Do you even remember writing that? Probably not.
If you don't like the direction this yhread is taking, you will delete it. Your grandiose belief that you have the right to delete the work of other people can't be argued with. I do hope the admins will change this stupid rule that allows censorship by deletion.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-20-17, 03:09 PM
Jim from Boston

...My comments about your threads are about the difficulty in reading such a stilted posting style. You and some other posters may find it clever, but I am not the only one who has pointed out to you the problems in trying to separate the wheat from the chaff with such an awkward arrangement of quotes and comments.
Thanks for your post, and I do read yours whenever I encounter them. They're certainly to the point.

Well, as simply as I can explain my posting style, after several attempts, is that I use nested quotes in a linear array (to be read in that order) to improvise an imaginary conversation as with one person speaking (posting) followed by another, then maybe another one or two often chosen from other similar prior threads based on the subject, or an off-topic reply to the thread in question.

Anything outside a quote box (in the linear array) is my contribution to the current “conversation.” The quote boxes are a graphic representation of the stream of this “conversation,” identifying the participants.

I was inspired to adopt this style by:
Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you [not me] have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of al lto me of all people. Part of the reason I like forums as opposed to otherforms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy soundbite like format like twitter and such.
By way of further explanation:
I like to make my posts self-explanatory, as if someone reading from the last post in a thread forward could understand the context of my post, so I include quotes expressing the entire “conversation.”….

Posting has become an avocation for me...I consider myself a “wordsmith (IMO),” and beside the exchange of information and ideas, and chit-chat, I enjoy the mechanics of writing, such as grammar, composition ,style, etc. for that additional mental stimulation.[I try to make my posts easy to read, particularly if they are “long,” with paragraph breaks - seven lines maximum.]

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied to [or found a post on] a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post.

I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972…I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

What I have gotten directly from BF [include]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
FWIW
Oh for goodness sake, he's just reading through threads and replying to thoughts posted without regard for how long ago they were posted. What's wrong with that?...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-20-17 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 03:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
If you don't like the direction this yhread is taking, you will delete it. Your grandiose belief that you have the right to delete the work of other people can't be argued with. I do hope the admins will change this stupid rule that allows censorship by deletion.
I can't delete this thread ... it isn't mine. However tandempower can delete this thread when he tires of it. In fact that might not be a bad idea. Delete this thread and start a new one.
Old 02-20-17, 03:52 PM
tandempower

That's what bells and horns are for...I've been using bells for many years and it never fails, I've even had pedestrian thank me for using a bell...Shouting "on your left" is just asking to be slapped, personally I find it very irritating...Everybody can recognize a sound of a bell but not everybody can recognize or understand some incoherent blabbering being shouted at them by some guy on a bicycle.
If someone doesn't have a bell or horn, they should give a vocal warning. Your hostility toward someone for doing so instead of thanking them is unwarranted and rude.
Old 02-20-17, 05:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

FWIW - What I have gotten directly from BF [include]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
You are not the only poster who likes to use BF and LCF as a place to post a diary of personal thoughts or so-called "lifestyle" activities. In fact some threads on LCF are dominated by one posters's personal blogging notes and photos. Probably can't find too many people to sit through "What I did on My Vacation" or "What I did on My Weekend" slide shows anymore, even when accompanied with commentary.

I thought that is what Facebook or blogs was for but apparently that outlet is not suitable for all.
Old 02-20-17, 05:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Delete this thread and start a new one.
Better yet, don't start a new one.
Old 02-21-17, 12:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Often, we go out for car-free outings on weekends, because those are the days long enough and where bedtime is flexible enough to allow for long walks and bike rides.
It's because I don't have to go to work on Saturday and Sunday, not because of when bed time is. But anyway. Most weekends through the summer I'll drive off to a trailhead, park there, and hike into the mountains. In the winter, I'll drive off to a ski trail and prefer ones that are not open to motorized recreation. In the shoulder season it's lots of scenic bike rides and hikes.
Old 02-21-17, 03:04 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I too am shocked that an OP can delete a thread. Sometimes I consult past threads for research I or others have previously done on some topic under discussion; and sometimes I see posts that are very well written and thought out and I would go as far as saying they are literary contributions that deserve to be archived for posterity. The idea that one person can erase other peoples' contributions to the forum is actually quite disturbing. I will lobby to get that changed.

It's quite different if mods delete posts for objectionable content.

Last edited by cooker; 02-21-17 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 04:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cooker
I too am shocked that an OP can delete a thread. Sometimes I consult past threads for research I or others have previously done on some topic under discussion; and sometimes I see posts that are very well written and thought out and I would go as far as saying they are literary contributions that deserve to be archived for posterity. The idea that one person can erase other peoples' contributions to the forum is actually quite disturbing. I will lobby to get that changed.

It's quite different if mods delete posts for objectionable content.
1. The thread in question contained no "literary contributions".

2. The thread in question was well on its way to being moved to P&R or closed thanks to the contributions that were made.

3. I doubt anyone here can remember the thread in question!

4. Being able to delete your own thread is the way Internet Brand forums, and other forums of this structure, are set up.

5. I wish we could change the titles of the threads we create ... but again, that's an Internet Brands forum structure thing, and we can't.

6. I wish the whole structure of these forums could be modernised, but Internet Brands isn't willing to put the money into doing that.

7. Being able to delete your own thread saves the mods time and effort. If you accidentally create a duplicate thread, you can delete the one you don't want. If you accidentally create your thread in the wrong subforum, you can delete it and recreate it where you want. If your thread goes into the toilet shortly after you start it, as the thread in question did, you can clean it up without bothering the mods about it.

8. If you've created something worth of literary recognition, don't leave it on Bike Forums or any forum for posterity!! Save it in your own file. Forums are temporary. A server crash or change can and has lost many a thread. On one such server transition quite a number of years ago, something like 1/3 of the threads were lost.

9. And here's a 5-year prediction for you ... in 5 years forums could be a thing of the past. Actually, I can't put exactly 5 years on that. I've been seeing evidence that forums are dying for several years now and they are an old folks thing, so it could be as little as 2 or 3 years ... but on the other hand, some of the younger folk are rediscovering forums, so maybe as long as 10 years. But I do think forums will need to be modernised for that to happen.

10. This delete feature has been available to you since the forum began ... for the past 15-ish years.

Last edited by Machka; 02-21-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 06:19 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It's because I don't have to go to work on Saturday and Sunday, not because of when bed time is. But anyway. Most weekends through the summer I'll drive off to a trailhead, park there, and hike into the mountains. In the winter, I'll drive off to a ski trail and prefer ones that are not open to motorized recreation. In the shoulder season it's lots of scenic bike rides and hikes.
I wouldn't call those "car-free outings," because you're driving to get to them. I'm talking about people going out to do something without the car; i.e. not just going for a walk or a bike ride OR not driving somewhere to take a walk, hike, or bike ride; but rather using the walk/hike/bike-ride to get somewhere to do something else, like eat out or play mini golf, go to a movie, visit a botanical garden, go shopping, etc.

In short, the idea is to go out and do something without driving at all, not because you want to LCF in general but because you want to LCF for a day, or at least a few hours.
Old 02-21-17, 09:48 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

1. The thread in question contained no "literary contributions".

2. The thread in question was well on its way to being moved to P&R or closed thanks to the contributions that were made.

3. I doubt anyone here can remember the thread in question!

4. Being able to delete your own thread is the way Internet Brand forums, and other forums of this structure, are set up.

5. I wish we could change the titles of the threads we create ... but again, that's an Internet Brands forum structure thing, and we can't.

6. I wish the whole structure of these forums could be modernised, but Internet Brands isn't willing to put the money into doing that.

7. Being able to delete your own thread saves the mods time and effort. If you accidentally create a duplicate thread, you can delete the one you don't want. If you accidentally create your thread in the wrong subforum, you can delete it and recreate it where you want. If your thread goes into the toilet shortly after you start it, as the thread in question did, you can clean it up without bothering the mods about it.

8. If you've created something worth of literary recognition, don't leave it on Bike Forums or any forum for posterity!! Save it in your own file. Forums are temporary. A server crash or change can and has lost many a thread. On one such server transition quite a number of years ago, something like 1/3 of the threads were lost.

9. And here's a 5-year prediction for you ... in 5 years forums could be a thing of the past. Actually, I can't put exactly 5 years on that. I've been seeing evidence that forums are dying for several years now and they are an old folks thing, so it could be as little as 2 or 3 years ... but on the other hand, some of the younger folk are rediscovering forums, so maybe as long as 10 years. But I do think forums will need to be modernised for that to happen.

10. This delete feature has been available to you since the forum began ... for the past 15-ish years.
A forum by nature and definition is a place for multiple voices, and when you start a thread, you are starting a conversation among all participants. That you would take it upon yourself to erase conversations that these people are now having not just with you, but with each other strikes me as incredibly presumptuous. Perhaps that hadn't occurred to you, but now that it's been pointed out, I trust you will be more respectful of other people's efforts in future.
Old 02-21-17, 10:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

A forum by nature and definition is a place for multiple voices, and when you start a thread, you are starting a conversation among all participants. That you would take it upon yourself to erase conversations that these people are now having not just with you, but with each other strikes me as incredibly presumptuous. Perhaps that hadn't occurred to you, but now that it's been pointed out, I trust you will be more respectful of other people's efforts in future.
I plan to be just as respectful as I've always been.

But perhaps, now that you all know that threads can be deleted (still surprised this is news to you all, but anyway ...) maybe you all will consider being more respectful of other people's efforts in the future. When someone starts a thread, that person can also delete the thread ... so respond accordingly.
Old 02-22-17, 01:54 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
That's a classic -- respectfulness of other people's efforts in the future.

Do you want me to go through this forum and show you how the likes of you, Roody, tandempower, ILTB, and the now-forgotten guy from Spain have shown virtually no respect for Machka and me.

It beggars believe that you and Roody in particular should show such feigned indignation over what is a dead subject.

As has been asked on several occasions of others, tell us what you posted in the deleted thread so we can determine whether you are justified in being so irked.

Machka is NOT the one with an axe to grind, but the continued posting by you and others on this indicates the collection of axes you all have in your own armories.
Old 02-22-17, 06:06 AM
Jim from Boston

In short, the idea is to go out and do something without driving at all, not because you want to LCF in general but because you want to LCF for a day, or at least a few hours.
Originally Posted by Roody
…A lot of vacations are carfree, such as cruises,resorts, train tours of Europe, helicopter skiing, etc.
I have been avidly replying to this thread, like Roody, and perhaps Machka [], with the idea that the thread was referring to broader activities like day trips and vacations. Going outseems a pretty limited opportunity to take a bike ride, when the destination is more important than the transportation.
Now that I get the concept of “going out,” I have a few further thoughts. I previously replied that for my wife and I, one of our weekly outings involves getting dressed up. We could get to our Social Club about five miles away by subway, but we drive to save time.
Going out becomes more like a day trip when you do it car-free, but it's still just going out with a long walk or bike ride before and after.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that clothing and hair issues are the main obstacles to doing anything car-free. Cars have basically been refined to serve as climate-controlled,wind-free holding chambers to keep people fresh during transport between destinations.
My other favorite weekly outing is to take my daughter by subway to our church on Sunday morning, about two miles away followed by a lunch and a pleasant walk home through a charming and interesting neighborhood. The church is in downtown Boston with the most convenient, legal parking in a paid garage a few blocks away. Many of the congregants, especially those with children and/or elderly drive from a distance, and the driver drops them off and parks separately, usually arriving late.

This activity for me reflects a few aspects of going out LCF. Our destination is easily and pleasantly approached by the circumstances of the route… subway and pleasant walking environment… and is discouraged by the lack of parking. Distance, and bringing children or elderly also hinders car free transport.
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
… Most weekends through the summer I'll drive off to a trailhead, park there, and hike… [or bike]
I wouldn't call those "car-free outings," because you're driving to get to them…using the walk/hike/bike-ride to get somewhere to do something else, like eat out or play mini golf, go to a movie, visit a botanical garden, go shopping, etc...
A personal damper for me to ride my bike to an outing is that I don’t bring a lock anywhere, since I don’t leave my bike out of my control. i.e. unattended only at home and my secure parking at work.

So I think that to purposefully make “going out” an LCF activity, makes it an LCF activity with an intended destination. For me it’s only ordinary and comfortable to go out LCF when the destination/activity and route makes it an ordinary outing.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-22-17 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-22-17, 06:23 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I wouldn't call those "car-free outings," because you're driving to get to them. I'm talking about people going out to do something without the car; i.e. not just going for a walk or a bike ride OR not driving somewhere to take a walk, hike, or bike ride; but rather using the walk/hike/bike-ride to get somewhere to do something else, like eat out or play mini golf, go to a movie, visit a botanical garden, go shopping, etc.

Yes ... we do that quite frequently.

During the week, I take the bus into town to work, but at lunch, and sometimes after work, I will walk to run errands, or go to the botanical gardens, or shop, or whatever.

On some weekends we drive to ride our bicycles, but some weekends we cycle from home to our destination. And if there's an actual destination ... something to see or do ... that's nice too.

For example ...
(copied from the weekend ride thread that week: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...ary-4-5-a.html )

Saturday 4 Feb -- Up and over the hill into town ... wandered about, watched the Taiko Drummers, had lunch, looked at leather belts at Salamanca ... and back again.

Distance: 48.2km
Elevation: 728 metres
Moving Time: 3:08:22
Elapsed Time 4:19:31

And then I went for a 4.5 km walk to the beach and back.

Sunday 5 Feb -- Rowan and I cycled up Mt Wellington today. 73.4 km with 1636 metres (5367.45 feet) straight up the side of the mountain. Not an easy ride!!

We started with a 10% climb out of our suburb, and set of rolling hills, and then the real climbing began. Climbing from 8 km to 39.6 km ... there's even an HC category climb in the middle.

I was doing all right at first, all the way to Fern Tree (about 29 km into the ride), and then there's a turnoff for the main part of the climb to Mt Wellington, and it's steep in the first kilometre or so, reaching 17% at one point. With what strength I had, I kind of chuckled when I heard the kookaburra start up in the tree next to the road. Isn't that the way, just when I'm dying on a climb that bird had to start laughing at me!

It kind of eases off a bit at The Springs, and then goes into a long and steady climb of about 9%. That's when my lower back and right hip started giving me trouble. I also kept wishing for an easier gear ... one gear easier is all I wanted ... but one gear easier is not what I had, and no amount of wishing magically conjured one up.

3 km from the top it eases slightly ... to only about 6% or so.

Tired, and with various and sundry aches and pains ... we successfully made it to the top!!

And then the descent.

I find descents quite challenging ... as do my poor brakes ... but we made it down and faster than the last time we did it.

We weren't sure about the weather. All week, the forecast had been iffy for Sunday and even this morning, it had rained and they were indicating strong winds on top of the mountain. However, fortunately the wind wasn't a factor on this ride. It wasn't bad at all. And although it was cloudy, we didn't get any rain until we were nearly home, and then only just a little. It's raining more heavily now.

But one interesting thing was watching the fog come up over the Derwent and bay from above ... it rose as we descended until we were among it at one point. Mist hanging in the trees just above us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totals for January:
Walking Distance (km) 142.7
Walking Time (min) 1768.1
Cycling Distance (km) 599.2
Cycling Time (min) 2122.2
Stairs Climbed Number 391.0
Stairs Climbed Time (min) 312.8

Total Distance (km) 741.9
Total Distance (miles) 461.0
Total Time (min) 4203.1
Total Time (hr) 70:03:08

And happily, I reached another goal! I was working toward a "lifetime" (since I've been keeping track) cycling kilometre goal of 160,000 km. This month, I reached that goal and by the end of the month I reached 160,246.8 km.
Old 02-22-17, 06:23 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Rowan
That's a classic -- respectfulness of other people's efforts in the future.

Do you want me to go through this forum and show you how the likes of you, Roody, tandempower, ILTB, and the now-forgotten guy from Spain have shown virtually no respect for Machka and me.

It beggars believe that you and Roody in particular should show such feigned indignation over what is a dead subject.

As has been asked on several occasions of others, tell us what you posted in the deleted thread so we can determine whether you are justified in being so irked.

Machka is NOT the one with an axe to grind, but the continued posting by you and others on this indicates the collection of axes you all have in your own armories.
You're of course welcome and free, at any time, to point out posts of mine you think are rude or otherwise inappropriate; past, present or future.

Last edited by cooker; 02-22-17 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-22-17, 10:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I don't care what you'd call them. But I was polite and shared my experience in your thread, replying to what you wrote:

So this thread is about the appeal of car-free outings for people who otherwise have no interest in LCF or LCL. Clearly there are health-benefits and fun to be had by walking or biking to go out, go shopping, or go to a restaurant.
And you responded rudely and dismissively.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.