Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Won't be riding for 4-6 weeks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 09:11 AM
CarrollB

Bikes: Trek Fx2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I'm a recreational rider, enjoying the bike paths and getting in some cardio to help me maintain my weight. I try to ride 12-18 miles on each outing, and try to ride Mon, Wed, and Fri so I have the MUP to myself while the other slugs are going to work. Last weekend I was riding my "big" bike, my Harley Davidson, in the Outer Banks of NC with friends. Saturday we saw multiple inches of rain and I made a bad decision that I am now paying for. Decided to ride to lunch when there was several inches of rain on the streets and 4-6 inches in dips getting into the parking lots. A cop stopped in the bumper to bumper traffic to let our group out. I nodded thanks to him as I pulled out and didn't see the motorcycle in front of me had stopped. I bumped his rear tire and laid down my bike. Even though I was only going 1-2 mph my right foot was pinned under the 950 pound bike. I have two hairline fractures, am wearing a splint, and I can't drive and of course no riding the bicycle for 4-6 weeks. I have a whole new appreciation for our veterans who have lost a legs serving our country. I never realized how hard doing something like brushing your teeth while trying to stand on one foot, going up or down stairs, or trying to stand on one leg while trying to take a leak. I'm thankful I did not require surgery and that I have friends and family who have reached out to help me.
Old 07-29-18, 09:33 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Good luck with your recovery. I remember, brushing teeth and shaving was a major challenge. So was everything else. I found getting onto a bike on a trainer in the house helped a lot. Although the screws etc don't really bother me, it never lets me forget.
Old 07-29-18, 11:46 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I broke my ankle and tore my ATFL and CFL in 2015, I spent months wishing I didn’t have and ankle at all. I thought my inability to bend my ankle was going to be permanent. It REALLY got in the way. But after a year I was at about 90%. Today I’m probably 99.5% back to normal. Certain movements still leave me with a weird feeling - like rescuing a kid from a flying basketball and landing weirdly.

In either event, some people heal up very quickly (I hope you do). But sometimes it takes longer than anticipated. If yours is slow, you will get there eventually.
Old 07-29-18, 06:22 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very sorry to hear of your injury and hope you heal quickly. Unlike the other responses, I have not experienced your dilemma, so I really have no idea what you’re going through. Sounds very painful and inconvenient. I wish you all the best in your recovery!
Old 07-29-18, 06:30 PM
The next level

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the same boat. Let the countdown begins!
Old 07-29-18, 06:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
adhere to the doctors orders, asks them questions should you have them prior to acting out, use this temp time as a diet to eating drinking healthier. The later, you might stick to the diet making it a lifestyle change.

Have had broken ankles, fractured feet, & other feet related injuries to know it is no walk in the park.
Old 08-01-18, 01:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
get well soon. indeed you are not alone. Wifey broke her wrist on her 1st bike ride of the summer 7/4 ... cpl more weeks until the cast is off but doubt she'll ride again this year
Old 08-01-18, 02:34 PM
indiana_jane

Bikes: Trek Domane AL2, Pedego Stretch

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarrollB
I'm a recreational rider, enjoying the bike paths and getting in some cardio to help me maintain my weight. I try to ride 12-18 miles on each outing, and try to ride Mon, Wed, and Fri so I have the MUP to myself while the other slugs are going to work. Last weekend I was riding my "big" bike, my Harley Davidson, in the Outer Banks of NC with friends. Saturday we saw multiple inches of rain and I made a bad decision that I am now paying for. Decided to ride to lunch when there was several inches of rain on the streets and 4-6 inches in dips getting into the parking lots. A cop stopped in the bumper to bumper traffic to let our group out. I nodded thanks to him as I pulled out and didn't see the motorcycle in front of me had stopped. I bumped his rear tire and laid down my bike. Even though I was only going 1-2 mph my right foot was pinned under the 950 pound bike. I have two hairline fractures, am wearing a splint, and I can't drive and of course no riding the bicycle for 4-6 weeks. I have a whole new appreciation for our veterans who have lost a legs serving our country. I never realized how hard doing something like brushing your teeth while trying to stand on one foot, going up or down stairs, or trying to stand on one leg while trying to take a leak. I'm thankful I did not require surgery and that I have friends and family who have reached out to help me.
I was in that rain on my bicycle -- for about 3 miles before I nope'd out and went home. The weather in the OBX last week was dire.
Old 08-01-18, 02:54 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
That sucks. I know the feeling. Trashed my Triump Sprint RS on the BRP several years ago and broke 3 ribs. Not conducive to cycling. Maybe you need to come over to the pasta side...a lot easier to lift off a battered body.