Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I get this free hub off?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 03:05 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts

I want to clean and lube my free hub because it feels and sounds pretty raunchy. I've taken off the two outside nuts and can't see anything else that would be holding this together. Videos I've watched shows the freehubs usually have free bearings - haven't seen one yet that has sealed bearings actually - so that doesn't help.

BTW I couldn't find any identifying information on the hub or freehubs but it's a Giant Roam 1.

Old 08-14-20, 03:29 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Ryan,
The sealed bearing needs to be removed to access the inner workings of the freehub. The bearing can be driven out by using a plastic hammer and tapping the axle on the non-drive side. The axle and bearing should come out together and then you should be able to see the parts needed to open the freehub for lubrication. You tube will be your friend from there. Smiles, MH
Old 08-14-20, 03:55 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
Ok so that is how it comes apart... I thought so but I was hitting the axle with a 3lb soft face deadblow hammer and it wasn't budging. Mind you I wasn't hitting it overly hard because I wasn't 100% sure and I didn't want to damage the bearings. I'll have to see if there's some way I can muscle it out. Thanks.
Maybe a block of wood and a regular hammer to give it a bit more of an impact to shake things loose.
Old 08-14-20, 06:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
Some freehub bodies have their pawls within the body, between the usual two sets of FH bearings. Some have the ratchet at the hubshell end of the body, effectively inside the RH side of the hub shell. Most all the cartridge bearing designs have this second type. Some of these will have the FH body simply slide off the axle after removing the end cap. Your's seems to not be of this style. I suspect the axle will wand to be pressed out from the LH side so that the FH body can remain of the axle. But if all the bearings are a tight press fit (the two in the FH body and the two in the hub shell) then the company wasn't making it easy for the home guy to service Hub brand? Andy