Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Katy Trail - Most scenic sections, Lodging, etc.

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 07:46 PM
timberline12k
timberline12k

Bikes: Felt F80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I and another couple are planning to ride the Katy Trail next March or April.

Combination bike and photo trip.

We don't plan to ride the entire route, so we would like to pick a 30-50 mile round trip stretch for each day.

Any suggestions on the most scenic sections?

Any lodging recommendations?

We plan to ride 2 days and stay at a bed and breakfast one night.

We thought we would ride 20 miles plus or minus one direction the first day, then turn around and return to the starting point. On the second day we could drive and start from another starting point, ride half way and turn around. Another option is to find a shuttle service and ride one direction each day.

We plan to take a leisure pace and stop often to photograph the sites.

https://www.bikekatytrail.com/default.asp

Last edited by timberline12k; 11-06-10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-07-10, 06:07 PM
Blues Frog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not greatly experienced in the KATY. But my biking pal took me to Rocheport for my first out and back. 1. To see the tunnel. 2. To see the historical sites in the area. 3. To eat at Hartsburg (Dottie's) . We ended up looking up Brett Dufur, the author of the Katy Trail Guidebook. Also owner of the Katy Trail Bed and Bikefest in Rocheport. He consented to autograph each of our books while there. We did pick up some wine for the better halves as a peace offering for being gone all Saturday. It is a good out and back for one of your days on the trail. I showed 51 miles on the odometer at the end of the day. One thought, get your reservations as far in advance as possible for next year. Those are going to be popular places to stay.
Old 11-13-10, 07:19 AM
DW99
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of the Katy Trail is nice, but I agree with Blues Frog Rocheport to Hartsburg is a really nice and scenic ride. The river, bluffs, caves, springs, very nice. The Champion Burr Oak tree just east of Huntsdale (Catfish Katy's), is a must see, imho. At Burr Oak Rd., look south, it is absolutely worth the short ride down to it. Also, the section between Sedalia and Boonville, it has a more secluded, out in the wilds, feel to it. Much of that part has a beautiful canopy of trees over the trail, plus you are apt to happen across more wild life, deer and turkeys, especially Sedalia to Pilot Grove. Carry plenty of water and snacks on this section, services are few and no water at the Clifton City trail head.

The past two years I have done a multi-day tour on the trail in late April. All services are up and running then and the weather is usually great. Although last year I was rained out around New Franklin, that day the trail was closed do to flooding near Rocheport, an unusual occurrence.

I recommend Brett Dufur's Katy Trail Guidebook, what with winter comin' on and all.

Have ridden all of the Katy, several times over, it is a favorite hobby, as I said, all parts of the trail are nice. Be careful, it may be habit forming. Enjoy your ride, maybe I'll see ya out there.

Last edited by DW99; 11-13-10 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-15-10, 07:31 AM
Blues Frog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info DW99.
Old 11-15-10, 01:52 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by timberline12k
My wife and I and another couple are planning to ride the Katy Trail next March or April.

Combination bike and photo trip.

We don't plan to ride the entire route, so we would like to pick a 30-50 mile round trip stretch for each day.

Any suggestions on the most scenic sections?

Any lodging recommendations?

We plan to ride 2 days and stay at a bed and breakfast one night.

We thought we would ride 20 miles plus or minus one direction the first day, then turn around and return to the starting point. On the second day we could drive and start from another starting point, ride half way and turn around. Another option is to find a shuttle service and ride one direction each day.

We plan to take a leisure pace and stop often to photograph the sites.

https://www.bikekatytrail.com/default.asp

Man, are you psychic or something?

I just clicked here to write the EXACT same post. My wife and I are planning a "Trail Sampler" trip at the end of April and early May, sampling trails in MO, IL, OH, etc., and I was wanting to know where the good/better sections of the KAty trail was for one day trips, going maybe 30 mile in one day. I am 71 and wife 73, and 30 miles is about her limit. We will be riding a mtn bike (me) and a hybrid (her).

So, thanks for posting and I will await the answers.
Old 11-15-10, 03:19 PM
timberline12k
timberline12k

Bikes: Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Man, are you psychic or something?

I just clicked here to write the EXACT same post. My wife and I are planning a "Trail Sampler" trip at the end of April and early May, sampling trails in MO, IL, OH, etc., and I was wanting to know where the good/better sections of the KAty trail was for one day trips, going maybe 30 mile in one day. I am 71 and wife 73, and 30 miles is about her limit. We will be riding a mtn bike (me) and a hybrid (her).

So, thanks for posting and I will await the answers.
Over the winter I plan to read the Katy Trail Guidebook. It can be purchased at the following link: https://www.pebblepublishing.com/comp..._guidebook.htm

I would also recommend the Prarie Spirit Trail that I recently checked out. It was a nice ride: https://www.prairiespirittrail.org/

Here are some photos near Garnett, Kansas

Last edited by timberline12k; 11-15-10 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 03:37 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I would also recommend the Prarie Spirit Trail that I recently checked out. It was a nice ride: https://www.prairiespirittrail.org/
Yep - you are psychic again. That one is also on our list!! And, I have ordered the book. Are you my long-lost twin?
Old 12-23-10, 10:51 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Last spring rode the whole trail St. Charles to Sedalia. All of it's nice, but some parts are more scenic than others. If I were to recommend one section to start on, it would have to be the Jefferson City - Rocheport segment. Rocheport is a good place to start/stop, or ride to and spend the night.