Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Congratulations (spoiler)

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 09:22 AM
gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Congratulations due to both Cadel and Andy as they accomplished their goals.

Cadel won the TDF and Andy beat Contador.

They can sleep well tonight.
Old 07-23-11, 10:03 AM
OrionKhan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I think Andy's main goal was to win the TdF, not just beat Contador. His whole team is built around and was dedicated to winning the TdF. He even said earlier in this very Tour that Contador was no longer the main rival and that there was no excuse for him not winning. I don't think he will sleep well tonight at all.
Old 07-23-11, 10:10 AM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andy seemed to be racing against Contador on every mountain stage. He marked Contador as much as he could. Even so far as to wanting Evans to help pull him back up on the Alpe. Andy didn't look to me like he was racing for the win either, but against Contador.

To be fair, I'm not sure if he even realized it.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 07-23-11, 10:18 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Congratulations Cadell. Finally, a tour went right for him, even if he did have to change a bike on the Alp D'Huez stage while the Schlecks and Contador attacked (damned unlucky timing, but luck's a part of the game too, the others had their fair share of bad luck). He proved to be the better all round rider this year, which is what the TdF is all about. Contador wasn't quite strong enough for once (and I won't speculate on the reasons) and the Schlecks showed why you need to be more than a climber to win (as if Contador and Armstrong hadn't already shown them that).
Old 07-23-11, 10:43 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cadel outright spanked the Schlecks today. Congratulations to him on a well-deserved win. As much as I like watching the Schlecks on those mountain stages, I think best man truly won today.

Hopefully for Andy and Frank, they have some TT training planned for the off season.
Old 07-23-11, 11:36 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K.Katso
Cadel outright spanked the Schlecks today. Congratulations to him on a well-deserved win. As much as I like watching the Schlecks on those mountain stages, I think best man truly won today.

Hopefully for Andy and Frank, they have some TT training planned for the off season.
It's been pretty much the same old story for the past two TdFs and this was what they came up with.
Old 07-23-11, 11:47 AM
NathanL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
Actually, I think Andy's main goal was to win the TdF, not just beat Contador. His whole team is built around and was dedicated to winning the TdF. He even said earlier in this very Tour that Contador was no longer the main rival and that there was no excuse for him not winning. I don't think he will sleep well tonight at all.
He said that but in a lot of ways his actions even late into the race this year suggested he was shadowing Contador even when he was out of contention. Yesterday when he got off the bike and said he couldn't understand why Cadel wouldn't help him catch Contador said a lot of what he was actually thinking. I'm not saying he didn't want to win the TDF, he just got ate up in beating Contador and while he did that wasn't his biggest competition.
Old 07-23-11, 11:50 AM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh, Isn't there still one more day left in the race?

What a strange sport...
Old 07-23-11, 12:14 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrownd

What a strange sport...
In case you're not kidding...the final day is largely ceremonial...with the only racing in Paris for the final sprint. Nobody's time will change tomorrow.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-23-11, 12:41 PM
nafun
squid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Congratulations Cadell. Finally, a tour went right for him, even if he did have to change a bike on the Alp D'Huez stage while the Schlecks and Contador attacked (damned unlucky timing, but luck's a part of the game too, the others had their fair share of bad luck). He proved to be the better all round rider this year, which is what the TdF is all about. Contador wasn't quite strong enough for once (and I won't speculate on the reasons) and the Schlecks showed why you need to be more than a climber to win (as if Contador and Armstrong hadn't already shown them that).
If you won't speculate on the reasons Contador wasn't strong enough, i will. Here are the top 3:
1) he won the giro
2) He Won The Giro
3) HE WON THE GIRO

Seriously. When was the last time someone won the Giro and the Tour in the same season? When was the last time someone even tried? Everyone knew it was a long shot.
Old 07-23-11, 01:16 PM
daveF

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nafun
If you won't speculate on the reasons Contador wasn't strong enough, i will. Here are the top 3:
1) he won the giro
2) He Won The Giro
3) HE WON THE GIRO

Seriously. When was the last time someone won the Giro and the Tour in the same season? When was the last time someone even tried? Everyone knew it was a long shot.
Maybe the top 3 reasons were:

1) Crash #4 (or whatever # the last one was 4 or 5)
2) Crash #1
3) The various other crashes

He came kind of close to falling off the starting ramp today.

Seriously, I think the multitude of crashes were due to fatigue from the Giro. If not, it doesn't bode well for future performances.
Old 07-23-11, 01:17 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um, spoiler alert? There's still one stage left an now I know there was a winner already/
Old 07-23-11, 02:10 PM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Um, spoiler alert? There's still one stage left an now I know there was a winner already/
GC won't change tomorrow. The yellow jersey will remain on the shoulders of the man who won it today. Tomorrow's stage is a sprint, there is a possibility of the green jersey changing shoulders, but that's about it.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 07-23-11, 02:16 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gear
Congratulations due to both Cadel and Andy as they accomplished their goals.

Cadel won the TDF and Andy beat Contador.

They can sleep well tonight.
What will really make you wonder is if they could beat Contador if he had not crashed so many times? He lost a lot of time on those initial crashes, but he appeared to be pretty strong in the mountains. Let the Monday morning quarterbacking begin.
Old 07-23-11, 03:16 PM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) he won the giro
2) He Won The Giro
3) HE WON THE GIRO

+1

I don't think he thought he was going to ride in the TDF with the beef thing from 2010, so he probally set his season up for the giro

I love the fact that he tried, he won my respect for his efforts in the last week.
Old 07-23-11, 04:13 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
For years now, the last stage has been more ceremonial than anything. The layout guarantees it. Even if Saxo Bank decided to try a last ditch kamikaze run to pull back the time, there's no way BMC would allow it to happen, and there's no mountains to break up the peloton. If there's going to be any drama tomorrow, it's going to be whether somebody can stop Cavendish.

More than congratulations, I'd like to say "Thank You" to the riders. This has been the most memorable Tour I've ever watched.

1. Thor in yellow as leadout to Tyler Farrar. That picture is going to be wallpaper for me for quite a while.
2. Voeckler. Period. What more can be said? More than anybody, he's going to be my memory of the Tour.
3. Hoogerland. Guts on a level that I'll never be able to match.
4. A gut feeling that I'm not going to have to hold my breath regarding doping accusations two weeks from now.
5. Cadel - you finally lived up to your reputation. Nice job.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-23-11, 04:34 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I know. Next time I will use a sarcasm alert.
Old 07-23-11, 04:45 PM
bikeride
smell'n bacon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations to Evans.
Old 07-23-11, 05:15 PM
cptsilver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
More than congratulations, I'd like to say "Thank You" to the riders. This has been the most memorable Tour I've ever watched.
+1 What a great Tour for us on the couch!
Old 07-23-11, 06:55 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What a strange sport...
Last stage is flat and short, and traditionally ceremonial. Even if AS attacked it is very unlikely that he'd gain 1:34 to catch Evans. Evans can just follow him and draft while he does all the hard work. It's not going to happen.
Old 07-23-11, 07:46 PM
Hambonio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you won't speculate on the reasons contador wasn't strong enough, i will. Here are the top 3:
1) he didn't dope
2) he didn't dope enough
3) he used the wrong dope

seriously. When was the last time someone won the giro and the tour in the same season? When was the last time someone even tried? Everyone knew it was a long shot.

ftfy
Old 07-23-11, 08:10 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Seriously. When was the last time someone won the Giro and the Tour in the same season?
Pantani - a name synonymous with clean riding.
And it was the 1998 Tour, with all the Festina festivities.
Old 07-23-11, 08:18 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by prettyshady
+1

I don't think he thought he was going to ride in the TDF with the beef thing from 2010, so he probally set his season up for the giro

I love the fact that he tried, he won my respect for his efforts in the last week.
AC moved up more than a notch in my estimation (not that that really matters) when he gave his interview after stage 19. He didn't have to and he certainly didn't have to try to answer in english. He showed class by standing up and not heading for the bus immediately.
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-23-11, 08:41 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, if the difference was 2 seconds...would the last day be a mad elbow-jousting race for the win?
Old 07-23-11, 10:02 PM
Kind of Blued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, if the difference was 2 seconds...would the last day be a mad elbow-jousting race for the win?
It's a sprint finish, so it will always "be a mad elbow-jousting race for the win", despite the GC standings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.