Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Are Things To Look At & Watch Out For When Buying A Bike For The Commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-12, 09:03 PM
Caudata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm fairly new to the cycling scene, never owned a bike. I want a bike to replace my car. I've met up with someone on Craigslist to look at a bike and it was visibly worn out and needed more than just a simply tune up. The tires were completely trashed, the grip on the handle was flaking away, the seat was clear ripped, the stem was blatantly taped on, brakes were shot, and rust had begun to take its course on the chain. The bike was worth no more than 40$ and he demanded 160$. The only good thing about the bike was that it was light as a feather, picked it up with two fingers.

So after that disappointing meet, it made me think what are some things to look for in a bike and things to watch out for when buying a used commuting bike?

I know that some bikes cater to your needs, but I just need a bike to take me across town and back when I need to go. Would a department store bike suffice or specific type and brand of bike do me proper?

thanks!
Old 09-12-12, 09:20 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Establish a budget. Buy from a LBS if at all possible. If funds are tight, try to find a shop that sells used, or a bike co-op or bike kitchen. Getting a frame that fits you properly is absolutely vital. You might spend a bit of time reading this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-bike)-Me-too

As this is to replace your car, consider getting two bikes. In theory, you'll have a back-up if and when you have a mechanical issue. If you have access to public transit like a bus or subway/light train, you might want to consider a folding bike.
Old 09-12-12, 09:22 PM
Blinkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As much as people rail on department store bikes, just be aware of their shortcomings before deciding on that route. The components won't be nearly the quality of a good used bike or even a new one that costs two or three times as much. And maintenance issues are likely to arise more often than with higher quality bicycles. Also, frame quality will be lower, parts compatibility will be an issue, and weight (if a concern) will be higher with a department store bike in most cases, due to the lower quality materials and components.

I would suggest saving up a bit and being fitted, especially since you are so new to cycling and haven't had a chance to develop what you need in a bike at all. That said, I've read suggestions to get a first bike to learn on (adjust to riding, see what you need to change, etc.) and then get your next bike with an idea of what you're looking for. I support this to at least some extent, but hopefully if you go into your purchase with some knowledge (which is why you're here of course) you may be able to avoid a second purchase to replace a poor fit.

But I sort of digress. If you're shopping without a fitting, you MUST ride the bike. But you won't be able to ride long enough in a Walmart to see how good the fit is (your body changes a bit also as you fatigue while riding as just part of it). There are fitting calculators online, but they're not spot-on as nobody's physique is going to be straight by the numbers. Be prepared to make a lot of adjustments.

Most importantly, find something comfortable enough, and ride!
Old 09-12-12, 09:45 PM
Caudata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention in the first post. That I was planning on buying a quality bike that has minor fender benders from the previous rider that don't want to deal with it and getting it fixed. I'm not sure if many people do this but I'm on a strict budget, still student.
Old 09-12-12, 09:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
#1, pick out a bike shop you like.. they will be there to help you after the sale, too..

got a used bike bring it by , they will help assess the needed repairs..

maybe bring it in before you pay for something with a bent frame and/or fork...

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-12-12 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-12-12, 10:26 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Caudata
I forgot to mention in the first post. That I was planning on buying a quality bike that has minor fender benders from the previous rider that don't want to deal with it and getting it fixed. I'm not sure if many people do this but I'm on a strict budget, still student.
Okay, what's your budget? Do you have any idea of what size you need? And what's your local CL market? I realize some people don't like to disclose their geographic location (for whatever reason), but sometimes we have people here who are willing to do a quick run through of the CL ads.
Old 09-12-12, 10:36 PM
Caudata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
roughly $200 give or take. I'm about 5'7" so I'd have to say 21" and my local area is Vancouver. I've been checking over the (past/passed???) couple of weeks. I've been changing my mind constantly on what kind of bike I wanted or needed. Naturally, the good bikes have come and gone since then, but I've finally figured out a reasonable way to get a quality bike.
Old 09-12-12, 10:47 PM
Caudata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...267190097.html
https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...195808562.html
https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nv...268301862.html

I've been looking at these bikes for a little bit. Is this bike any good?

Last edited by Caudata; 09-12-12 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 05:55 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Those bikes are vastly different in size. You need to establish first what size bike would fit you best and start from there. The best deal in the world is not worth a cent if the bike doesn't fit you right. A bike shop is the best place to do that. Go in and test ride some different size frames, and you might even find one you like within your budget. If not, at least you should know what size range to look for.
Old 09-13-12, 06:02 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm fairly new to the cycling scene, never owned a bike. I want a bike to replace my car. I've met up with someone on Craigslist to look at a bike and it was visibly worn out and needed more than just a simply tune up. The tires were completely trashed, the grip on the handle was flaking away, the seat was clear ripped, the stem was blatantly taped on, brakes were shot, and rust had begun to take its course on the chain. The bike was worth no more than 40$ and he demanded 160$. The only good thing about the bike was that it was light as a feather, picked it up with two fingers.

So after that disappointing meet, it made me think what are some things to look for in a bike and things to watch out for when buying a used commuting bike?

I know that some bikes cater to your needs, but I just need a bike to take me across town and back when I need to go. Would a department store bike suffice or specific type and brand of bike do me proper?

thanks!
If money is of concern you should stay away from fixer uppers. I helped a friend in need a few years back by tuning her bike up, and in the process purchased a few parts for her (seat, tires, tubes, etc.), but the total came out waaaay more than the bike itself. Keep looking, you'll find one and as soon as you see a few junkers you'll know which one is the right one.

For example, the one needing front wheel work could cost an extra $50-100 (just guessing) if you had to replace the wheel. In other words, a fit $250 bike will cost you $250, but a fixer upper that costs you $150 may end up costing $350 by the time you are done.

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 09-13-12 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 07:37 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3153 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Frankly, I think you'd be better off looking at mountain bikes, if only because you can get into a more recent model that's on, or close to, the current standards for fitting bits like fenders and rack, and because they are generally easier to outfit, given the complement of braze-ons.

This may not sound like a big deal, and really it wouldn't be had you some experience, but given that, I think you'd be well served to kit out a bike intended to be main transportation and a car replacement as fully as possible, so that you're comfortable in all weather conditions and have the capacity to carry cargo. Being properly outfitted can be the difference between a chore and a pleasure.

I'd also say that in Vancouver, you're in what is arguably the best city in N. America for cycling, and should really visit some of the independent bike shops there and see what's going on. The city has set aside lots of resources for commuter cyclists as well, so avail yourself of that info. The Bike Forums are ok, but you can get much better info and specific direction from local sources.
Old 09-13-12, 06:57 PM
Caudata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to go and checkout LBS's but they're all across town for me. It would be beneficial for me to check them out but I wouldn't feel complete without a set of wheels to come back home with. I plan to ride through the winter, so grabbing the right tires and tune ups are a must. I'll be investing in my bike in the near future.

Can I use any or certain mountain bike frames and just add in road tires?

Also I've finally gotten a reply from https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...224312117.html after a few days. I'm definitely not going to pay 220$ for the bike, but what do you [all] think of it? Should I just bite the bullet, I've been looking for a bike for about 3 weeks now and getting rides from others are getting quite stale.

https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rc...269979155.html This one here caught my eye, but don't know if the frame is more suited for female or male.

Last edited by Caudata; 09-13-12 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 08:54 PM
juggleaddict

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When looking at used bikes:

1: check the headset by straddling the bike and trying to wobble the fork. If it has a bit of play in it, that could mean it needs a new headset, or if it's an integrated headset, the frame may be trashed.

2: check for wobble in the cranks, again, hold the frame firm and try to jiggle them back and forth to feel any play.

3: check that the wheels are true and the hubs are ok by spinning the wheels with the bike off the ground. If there is excessive "scratchyness" or the wheels have a pretty noticeable wobble, stay away. Also check to make sure the rim sidewalls don't have excessive scratching.

4: check the wear on the chainrings to make sure it doesn't have a worn out drivetran that will need immediate replacing. Taking it for a ride says a lot.

Final thoughts: the appearance of a bike can say a lot about it. If it's rusted over and parts don't move fluidly or have play, has the bike been treated well? Then again if the price is right, things like brake cables (brakes are hard on the pull) or grips can easily be replaced.

I'll reiterate: take it for a test ride.

Don't be bashful about doing these simple tests, just about all of them can be done in around 5 or 10 seconds (minus the test ride) so while you're talking to them you can be trying to find play in bearings, etc without them ever realizing you're doing a full checkup diagnostic in a few seconds.

Helps to get an idea of what rebuilding a headset, bottom bracket or hub would cost at your LBS before you meet to check up on a bike. If one of those things is wrong you can negotiate with a price for fixing that particular item on the bike.
Old 09-13-12, 09:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3153 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
I'd love to go and checkout LBS's but they're all across town for me. It would be beneficial for me to check them out but I wouldn't feel complete without a set of wheels to come back home with. I plan to ride through the winter, so grabbing the right tires and tune ups are a must. I'll be investing in my bike in the near future.

Can I use any or certain mountain bike frames and just add in road tires?

Also I've finally gotten a reply from https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...224312117.html after a few days. I'm definitely not going to pay 220$ for the bike, but what do you [all] think of it? Should I just bite the bullet, I've been looking for a bike for about 3 weeks now and getting rides from others are getting quite stale.

https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rc...269979155.html This one here caught my eye, but don't know if the frame is more suited for female or male.
Buy the first one, the Kuwahara. Simple, fast rolling, powerful V brakes,mulitple hand positions thanks to bar ends, rack...this is just anout ready for anything, just add fenders, lights, give it a wash...i think that's worth the asking price.
Old 09-14-12, 01:03 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1) set your budget
2) go with your gut, if it looks like crap walk away!
3) ride it, if it rides like crap walk away!
4) feel out the seller, if he seems shady....walk away!
5) bring a knowledgeable friend
Old 09-14-12, 03:40 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Don't underspend. What is the cost of your current transportation over a year. A bike is good for 5 years for accounting purposes so compare to the cost of 5 years alt transport costs.
Consider 2 bikes. You will need a backup to get around when your main ride is in the workshop. You can get 2 styles, eg sporty summer bike and wide clearance winter bike or small folder and std main ride.
Get the right size.
Get a practical bike: one with clearance for the tyres you need+ fenders, gear range for your terrain, threaded eyelets for attaching rack, fenders, waterbottles.
Consider modern, low maintenance, foul weather features such as disc brakes, internal hub gears, hub dynamo lighting.

Consider just getting started with a standard hybrid bike (the most common normal style), possible a decent used model for a low price, then getting a higher grade bike when you know what you want.
Old 09-14-12, 05:28 AM
Trifusion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Ottawa and I find UsedOttawa.com and Kijiji.com way better for used bikes. Maybe Vancouver is different but Craig's list sucks here. Try Kijiji and usedvancouver.com

Greg
Old 09-14-12, 06:46 PM
Caudata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy already sold it. I kind of had my heart set out for this bike, more than the others that have been up for the passed couple of weeks.

My budget is just at the cusp of 200$, if I only have to.

What do you [guys] think of these:

https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...269434431.html
https://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...AdIdZ412762498
https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...254367170.html
Old 09-14-12, 06:50 PM
Caudata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked those links out, but CL already have those bikes listed. My next bet is check out a LBS...
Old 09-15-12, 09:17 PM
Caudata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I never thought I'd spend that much more on a fixer-upper.

https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...273894741.html is this bike any good?
Old 09-16-12, 12:58 PM
AK404
toasty!

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale r200, 2011 Bianchi Via Nirone 7; 2007 Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be wary when a used bike has a stock photo instead of the actual bicycle. It's three years old, and the guy doesn't say anything about the condition, what parts have been replaced, or how it's been used? I'd be prepared for some sort of disappointment.

-

Some things to look for in a bike that other posters might have glossed over:

Look for mounts for fenders and racks. If the LBS you're at has matching fenders and racks, so much the better: not 'matching' as in color, but as in brand. This ensures an easy install, and if you buy them all in one go at your LBS, they might install them for you for free.

If using flat bars, ergonomic grips. I prefer thumb shifters over twist shifting, but that's a personal thing.

A commonly-available rim size like 26" or 700c. Not only will it be easier for you to buy new tires, but they come in varying widths.

Wide clearance on the brakes, like caliper, disc, or V-brakes: this will expand the variety of tire widths you can choose from. So like in warm weather, you can go for something like 26 x 1.5" on your bike, then widen it out to 26x2.2" when it gets colder, and not have to worry if the brakes are going to press against the tire walls.

The correct posture. This will depend a lot on what kind of bike you're getting, and should you choose to upgrade your saddle, has an incredible influence on what kind of saddles you can use. If I had a dime for every time I had to help someone who wanted to put a comfort bike saddle (made for sitting upright) on a mountain bike frame (made for sitting at a 15-60 degree angle), I'd be able to buy another bike.
Old 09-17-12, 09:54 AM
Caudata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turns out this guy is a junkie thief. I've met up with him before. He's wasn't selling a norco bike, it was a stolen trek bike. He stole it from a girl that I've had recent contact with. Had I known it was hers, I would have grabbed the grease ball and gotten his ass incarcerated.

https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...224312117.html Also is this a girls bike? I haven't found out yet thanks!
Old 09-17-12, 10:14 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 280 Posts

Here are some issues with riding and buying bikes in Vancouver.

Vancouver has some of the best paved roads on the planet. Very few potholes, frost heaves, gravel etc. So you don't need or want a mountain bike. You definitely do not want suspension, as it only adds a unnecessary weight, more things to break and energy-sapping suspension bob. You want lightweight with narrow high pressure tires. If you've ridden on a 20 pound bike, you will find that a 30 pound bike is misery. Knobby tires will slow you down by 5kph, howl away while you're riding, and be generally sketchy while hard cornering.

Second key fact about Vancouver is that the bikes on Vancouver Craigslist are the most depressing, dysfunctional and overpriced collection of crap anywhere. About once per week something cost effective and safe comes up for sale, but then it is gone in minutes. This partially goes with Vancouver being in Canada, where the taxes are high, the wages are low, and trade barriers help keep out 'foreign competition' to help prop up a few tiny but well connected domestic industries. So new prices for bikes (and everything else) are high, and therefore so are used prices. But nowhere moreso than Vancouver, where the cost of living is extreme and so folks are always looking for used/recycled.

You should want a lightweight hybrid bike for commuting in the dark and the rain in Vancouver, with fenders and flame-thrower lights. Trust me: you will need very powerful lights on both the bars and your helmet.

If you knew exactly what you wanted, sorry to say, but you really would want to source it in the US or Asia, and have it shipped to Pt. Roberts.