Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you train your quads?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you train your quads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 06:50 AM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Apply your hand brakes at varying pressure and try riding a mile while sitting or standing. Works great for SW FL. flat land exercise of the legs.
It's a lot easier and less wearing on your breaks to just ride in a high gear I think. I like do to 53x12 (too cheap to buy an 11) at 60 cadence to pretend I'm climbing and get a nice little force workout in.
Old 07-29-13, 07:03 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by cvall91
It's a lot easier and less wearing on your breaks to just ride in a high gear I think. I like do to 53x12 (too cheap to buy an 11) at 60 cadence to pretend I'm climbing and get a nice little force workout in.
Problem is 53x12 at 60 rpm is a touch over 20mph. Not enough resistance to really be a good muscle tension drill, without an incline, or a stiff headwind.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-29-13, 07:08 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by cvall91
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Problem is 53x12 at 60 rpm is a touch over 20mph. Not enough resistance to really be a good muscle tension drill, without an incline, or a stiff headwind.
Riding in the gearing choice for ascending a given grade with brakes applied will yield the same distance traveled for pedal rotation thus giving the same time frame of effort. It is one heck of a workout and burns the legs.
Old 07-29-13, 07:16 AM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I lied. I actually pedal a bit more than 60. I usually do it on Wednesdays and pull a little group for half an hour to an hour going between 22-24. I'm pretty tired by the end of it with legs burning mainly at the headwind bits. Would probably be a better workout with an 11
Old 07-29-13, 07:41 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
In the olde days we did seated climbing in the winter for just this purpose.

The problem then became about balancing the hamstrings with the quads. Imbalances could mess up the pelvis and cause long term problems. Calves vs quads is not an issue.

Old 07-29-13, 08:30 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
FWIW, although there's no better prep for climbing than climbing, you can successfully prepare for a hill climb or hilly century on flat ground.
Cool. How do you do it?

Related question: if you're a flatlander is there anyway you can prepare for Colorado style altitude?

Old 07-29-13, 08:56 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Cool. How do you do it?

Related question: if you're a flatlander is there anyway you can prepare for Colorado style altitude?
No.

If anyone tells you you can they are full of poo-poo. You can talk FTP all you like but anyone who lives where there are a truly big mountains will tell you otherwise.

Having said that, you can help your climbing by doing FTP work on the flats but the specific muscle memory, rhythms and pacing can only be developed through climbing.

Now be prepared for all the 'experts' who are about to disagree with me. If any of them have a KOM from a race on par with the Tour of Okinawa have a listen. If not, ignore them.

Old 07-29-13, 09:37 AM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find short steep hills and power up in the drops at over 20 mph in the big ring. Builds quads like no tomorrow.
Old 07-29-13, 11:23 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
If anyone tells you you can they are full of poo-poo. You can talk FTP all you like but anyone who lives where there are a truly big mountains will tell you otherwise. ...
Now be prepared for all the 'experts' who are about to disagree with me. If any of them have a KOM from a race on par with the Tour of Okinawa have a listen. If not, ignore them.
Well how much more evidence could someone want? Expertise by fiat. (and exactly how does aerobic talent translate into intellectual ability?)
Old 07-29-13, 11:24 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I focus only on my buttocks
Old 07-29-13, 12:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Cool. How do you do it?

2x20's, into the wind in a big gear.

I don't have an Okinawa KOM, just a Mt. Diablo 1-hr t-shirt. Bdop is correct in that you can't perfectly replicate mountain conditions on the flats, but you can build the engine that will see you through.
Old 07-29-13, 12:14 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
I focus only on my buttocks
You naughty troll you.

Old 07-29-13, 10:55 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by asgelle
Well how much more evidence could someone want? Expertise by fiat. (and exactly how does aerobic talent translate into intellectual ability?)
Next time quote my entire post.

I sound dickish enough on my own. I don't need help.

Old 07-30-13, 12:17 PM
WxGuesser

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo S3, Fuji SL1, Felt TK2, Cervelo P2C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ryan F does.
Old 07-30-13, 12:30 PM
Clanier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main issue people have is balance. For this, I cant imagine what it would be like to not have a set of PowerCranks. Yes, the full leg is balanced when using these, not only that but it helps the pedal stroke to smooth and when I'm on the bike people are *constantly* asking me, "How are you so smooth on the pedals, you put the power down and there is no upper body movement whatsoever" That "no movement" is a direct relation to equal balance in the legs. For all areas, climbing, flats, sprinting...PowerCranks are an excellent tool.
Old 07-30-13, 12:37 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Here's a good article on the training Cameron Cogburn used to win the Mt Washington hillclimb in 2012: The Mt. Washington Hillclimb: A case study.

With limited time he used mostly trainer, short (<2min) hill repeats and steady state rides on the flats with a few real hills to prepare.

edit: I don't know if he has any KOMs in Okinawa but he has about 9 pages of KOMs including Mt Washington so he must know something about training

Last edited by gregf83; 07-30-13 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 01:19 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
get a single speed. gears are for the meek (or sunday morning when im feeling lazy). but seriously, riding around with no other gear options will improve your geared riding greatly. cheaper then powertap and all that other garbage tech also. or conversely, ride mtn bikes more often. that will improve your strength quickly.

Last edited by pdxtex; 07-30-13 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 01:40 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Here's a good article on the training Cameron Cogburn used to win the Mt Washington hillclimb in 2012: The Mt. Washington Hillclimb: A case study.

With limited time he used mostly trainer, short (<2min) hill repeats and steady state rides on the flats with a few real hills to prepare.

edit: I don't know if he has any KOMs in Okinawa but he has about 9 pages of KOMs including Mt Washington so he must know something about training
He also did this:

Doing intervals is great, but to truly get strong you need to be able to combine power with endurance. For example, how can I possibly replicate the final 10-15 minutes up Washington, when I need to keep it pinned but my legs feel like noodles? In other words, how do I work on muscular endurance? Simple, I do intervals at the middle or end of a long ride on tired legs. Three times this summer I rode out to Wachusett from Cambridge, did intervals on the mountain, and then rode back for a 120-135 mi, 6-7 hour ride. In the spring I also once rode to the Fresh Pond training race and back for an 8+ hour ride with a race in the middle. These absolutely helped extend the length of time I could hold a certain power by forcing me to work hard on tired legs. I believe this is the simplest thing most people can do to get better but realize it is not simply going out and trying to hammer every climb for as long as possible – it is a deliberate strategy of tiring the legs by riding zone-2 but for a long time and then trying to empty the tank such that I am crawling back home on fumes, barely turning the pedals.
6-8 hour rides in z2, with races in the middle? Where he then would "empty the tank such that I am crawling back home onf fumes, barely turning the pedals"?
Old 07-30-13, 01:48 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
He also did this:

6-8 hour rides in z2, with races in the middle? Where he then would "empty the tank such that I am crawling back home onf fumes, barely turning the pedals"?
All good training for raising your FTP. Similar to what Hunter Allen recommends in "The next level":
You have to get in (2) big rides each month and preferably (3) big rides. Rides that are at least 5-6 hours long that force you to dig deep near the end, so that when you reach home, you are tired and your muscles are quivering(not cramping though) from the fatigue. This is the #1 thing you can do and you cannot skip this step if you want to go to the next level, no matter if you are a pro or a recreational cyclist, you have to increase the miles, hours, and overall volume of training stress in order to challenge your cardiovascular and muscular system enough to create positive adaptations for the future.
Old 07-30-13, 03:13 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I'll spin on a trainer and use a slideboard. I've used slideboards a loong time, ever since I raced GS competitively, and played ice hockey before that. These days I pull the old Rossi S pair out of the closet and do the occasional dollar slalom courses when they're open. Haven't put on a pair of skates in 20 years. An hour of sliding and you'll feel it in your quads, guaranteed.
Old 07-30-13, 04:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
IME Greg is correct in #44 . When you get back, if you can still walk, you should have gone harder. It's taken me several minutes on occasion to dismount the bike.
Old 07-30-13, 04:17 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by achoo
He also did this:6-8 hour rides in z2, with races in the middle? Where he then would "empty the tank such that I am crawling back home onf fumes, barely turning the pedals"?
Gee, you mean he did long sustained climbs as well as FTP work to get better at climbing?

Who knew?

Roll. Of. Eyes.

BTW, my first post was meant to be sarcastic, dickish and a bit silly etc but didn't quite come across the way I wanted. But now, I think I'll run with it.

Old 07-30-13, 04:22 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Originally Posted by gregf83
Which would make him one of the people I suggested would be worth listening to...