Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Opinion/Experience with epoxy flooring for shop or garage?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Opinion/Experience with epoxy flooring for shop or garage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 01:52 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
My nephew built a 4 and a half bay pole garage. Just after the floor had cured he did an epoxy coating and it is holding up well. A couple of his friends tried it on their garages with poor results - most likely that was due to poor or no preparation.

My garage is bare concrete, stained from oil drips and other spills and I don't mind that at all. After all it is a potentially nasty workspace.
Old 08-20-18, 07:49 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,477 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
I'm a C&V bike and classic car guy. I have epoxy painted two garage floors myself. It is a lot of work to prepare and coat the floors. Plus, the material cost is high for quality epoxy coating.

In my view it transforms the garage. It is easy to keep the floor clean. The floor reflects the light and brightens the space. It is easy to clean up all kinds of spills.

If one can afford the material cost and have the time to do it, I highly recommend it.

I can't even keep my bathroom this clean!
I think I'm a bare concrete kind of guy. The occasional drop of dirty degreaser, the spatter from a cutting torch, the mud and grit from a winter MTB ride all just add to the "patina."
Brent
Old 09-01-18, 06:39 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
This thread motivated me to paint my garage floor. I'd been thinking of it to make it easier to clean and find little parts I drop while wrenching on my bikes. I went to Lowe's, bought white concrete paint and acid wash for about $50. One day I washed the floor with the acid, let it dry overnight and painted it the next day. It took a little over an hour each day. The hardest part was getting all the stuff off the floor and out of the way.

Here's the garage before with a Warmshowers guest posing.

Here it is after. I can't believe the amount of light there is reflecting from it.

Marc
Likes For irwin7638:
Old 09-01-18, 07:04 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
What is that!

Originally Posted by thinktubes
The current owner/vintage MG guy has the place pretty full and I wasn't able to get a great look at the floor.

You need to get the current owner a going away present for his Brit cars....

Positive earth!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 09-01-18, 07:08 AM
CO_Steve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
About three years ago we moved and I wanted to coat the garage floor. I knew once I moved all my junk in it would never get done since moving everything out again would be too much of a hurtle.
Of course I thought I wanted to use epoxy. After a lot of research I changed my mind. Now don't get me wrong, a quality epoxy job is probably the best you can do, but the cost/prep/chance of screwing it up just seemed daunting.
There is one more consideration that seldom gets mentioned. Repairability. Even if prep is perfect sometime something might happen to damage the coating. Can you fix it and how hard is it?

I found a company website Welcome to Legacy Industrial, Epoxy Garage Floor Coating Kits, Polyaspartic Urethane, Concrete Stain Sealers They sell all kinds of products including epoxy. Lots of diy info. I finally settled on a colored sealant product.
Products :: Concrete Sealers :: HD6525MMA Concrete Sealer
I have no connection to them.

All I did was degrease and acid wash. The stuff rolls on and dries fast. (I live in CO, everything dries fast).
After three years I recently put a new coat on. This is what I like best. Any damaged areas can be recoated and look perfect in no time. I redid the entire floor in a couple of hours (three plus car garage).
Total costs for 800+ sq feet was less than $400 and I have left over material for future repairs. It holds up pretty well. High use areas will need another coat every three years or so but it's so easy to do.
Some solvents will eat it away. I had a spot that this happened on but again, just put some more down.

Since you have paint down you're going to have to get it off no matter what product you use. I know Home Depot has a floor buffer attachment for this.

Here's the finished floor:

Likes For CO_Steve:
Old 09-01-18, 08:36 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Nice work on the floors guys! Thanks for the alterative suggestions.

still 10 days out from closing, so I'll have a better idea once I see it empty.

Current owner is planning to drive both cars to his new place (3 blocks away). One needed resr diff work and the other had no seats when I was there Faw weeks back.

My dad owned a 1968 Triumph Bonneville. Electrics were a mess and it dripped oil. It was black, no fenders, and had straight pipes. It also had a "Clear Hooter" horn.
Old 09-02-18, 11:10 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Concrete flooring is hard! That's the only thing I don't like about it. If you drop something, it is almost certain to be damaged or broken.

What would I do?
1. Start with an empty garage and pressure wash (spray) the floor. If that was not satisfactory,...
2. Home Depot also has a special attachment for their pressure washers rentals which is designed especially for cleaning concrete floors..
3. Some sort of resilient flooring sounds good to me.

Ceramic or porcelain tile is something I would not do. It is still hard! Dropping the wrong item (like a hammer or chisel) or putting too much localized pressure will crack the tiles. The grout is even more porous than the concrete. There's no gain.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 09-02-18 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-11-18, 07:08 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Well, we closed on the house yesterday!

Aside from the little British car "leavings", the floors are in really good shape. Much better than I expected.

I'm thinking degrease/wash and then see where things are at. Probably go with a non-epoxy option. Thanks again for all the good suggestions.

The PO left behind some nice benches, full pegboard, and a Union Jack license plate.

Old 09-11-18, 07:24 AM
CO_Steve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're in good shape. My floors were similar when I started. Not much work there.
Old 09-11-18, 07:41 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Looks good. Good luck!

Although I'm guessing the little lady has one or two projects to do before the garage floor!😁
Old 03-09-19, 11:05 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
You need to get the current owner a going away present for his Brit cars....

Positive earth!

verktyg

LUCAS = Look Under Car After Starting
Old 03-09-19, 11:29 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Heh. Replacement wiring harness smoke. When I was helping a friend with his 1975 Jensen Healy one night, we found the original wiring harness smoke was still in pretty good supply.

Up until that time, both the MGs I'd owned, and my Rover TC2000 had led exemplary electrical lives and I couldn't understand why so many people made those jokes about "Lucas - Prince of Darkness." That Jensen gave us a facefull of it, though.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 03-09-19, 11:57 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya

nice A & B

nah looks like he's only doing routine maintenance & minor tinkering, not really "restoring" nut&bolt

But guarantee you'll have floors stained with LBC (=Little British Car) fluids... engine oil, gearbox oil, diff oil, Armstrong shock oil, steering rack oil, SU carbs oil & fuel (but these usually drip onto exhaust manifold first), coolant overflow, leaking fuel... they like to mark their territory
The problem is two LBCs. Competition, They have to up their game.

Ben
Old 03-10-19, 09:30 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
No experience with the stuff myself, but while in Phoenix recently, I've seen a few driveways also done up with the stuff. So don't be a cheapskate & only do the garage floor. 😆😉