Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Jones Beach West End path completed and open

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 05:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts

Explored down here today, the West End path and connection is finished and open.

Uses the boardwalk west from Field 6 to Field 1 for about 2 miles, then new asphalt along the parkway to the TR Nature Center, then loops around south side of that parking lot, then more new asphalt along parkway to West End where it ends at the bathrooms.

4 miles from Field 6, one-way.

There's an extension at the NW corner of the TR Nature Center lot that crosses the West End parkway and goes to the West End boat basin. I predict they will have trouble with this as there is zero signage on the parkways themselves stating "No Bikes" and I predict folks will make a left and find themselves heading into cart traffic.

This was a really nice ride today, but as with everything at JB maybe best done on a weekday morning in spring and fall, after the beach crowd is gone.

Photo 1 is the west side of Field 1 where they carved the path out of the parking lot.
Photo 2 is at the NW corner of Field 1 lot where the new asphalt path along the parkway is located
Photo 3 is the path end (looking south) at West End Bath House
Photo 4 is the section on the bay at the Coast Guard station and West End boat basin

Last edited by Steve B.; 04-08-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 06:37 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Wow. Jones Beach and Long Island in general have always been places that are almost impossible to bike.
Old 04-09-19, 05:41 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Nice report, Steve.

The fact that this path was opened has been a surprise to me (as it was when they allowed us hooligans to actually ride on the boardwalk). Sometimes, progress actually is possible even in NY.

OTOH, if you want to be a curmudgeon, look at the google satellite view of the area. The current pic was taken before the new path was opened. In it's entirety, it already existed as an unpaved roadway, probably used for service vehicles only. No bridges, ramps, culverts, etc needed to be built. So the resource was already pretty much there, and went unused for decades for the lack of a bit of asphalt, or even gravel or chipseal.

That KaosJoe is such a PIA, ain't he?
Old 04-09-19, 06:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Nice report, Steve.

The fact that this path was opened has been a surprise to me (as it was when they allowed us hooligans to actually ride on the boardwalk). Sometimes, progress actually is possible even in NY.

OTOH, if you want to be a curmudgeon, look at the google satellite view of the area. The current pic was taken before the new path was opened. In it's entirety, it already existed as an unpaved roadway, probably used for service vehicles only. No bridges, ramps, culverts, etc needed to be built. So the resource was already pretty much there, and went unused for decades for the lack of a bit of asphalt, or even gravel or chipseal.

That KaosJoe is such a PIA, ain't he?
The asphalt sections along the roadway is all new. Google Earth only shows sand on these 2 sections, so I assume that’s where the budget went. All the rest is just existing parking lot that’s been divided and re-purposed, or as you stated. The section that goes thru the TR Nature Center on the “boardwalk” has signage that you need to dismount and walk the bike on the sidewalk, which is what they call the boardwalk thru here. I suspect that’s not going to happen.
Old 04-09-19, 07:40 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Google Earth and Google Maps "satellite view" use different pictures. It's labeled 2019 but clearly that can't be. Just before west end 2 a dirt road is clearly there running along the Bay Parkway. At any rate, it's nice.

The Captree extension will be cool.
Old 04-09-19, 07:46 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Have they installed any bike racks at the new accessible beaches?
Old 04-09-19, 08:25 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
So if my trusty da-brim lack-of-shade protection and I were to hop on the LIRR, what sort of total ride distance could I now get out of the excursion?
Old 04-09-19, 08:55 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Google Earth and Google Maps "satellite view" use different pictures. It's labeled 2019 but clearly that can't be. Just before west end 2 a dirt road is clearly there running along the Bay Parkway. At any rate, it's nice.

The Captree extension will be cool.
Google Maps looks to be a more recent photo and shows the construction equipment at the NW corner of the lot at Field 1, as well as the new path being built to the nature center, prior to asphalt getting laid. I think you are correct that there’s an old road between TR and West End that subsequently was used for the path.
Old 04-09-19, 08:57 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by dendawg
Have they installed any bike racks at the new accessible beaches?
Not that I saw, but other than the racks at East Bath House, I’ve never seen other racks at JB.
Old 04-09-19, 09:13 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by UniChris
So if my trusty da-brim lack-of-shade protection and I were to hop on the LIRR, what sort of total ride distance could I now get out of the excursion?
From Wantagh LIRR to the path at Cedar Creek Park is 1 mile

5.2 down path to the East Bath House at the boardwalk

4 miles west on boardwalk to the West End bath house and end of path

10 ‘ish one way/20 RT

If you extend east to TOBAY on the path along Ocean Parkway, that’s 3.5 each way, 7 RT

So a 27 mile ride is possible.

BUT WAIT !, THERES MORE !. In theory and starting this year, they are supposed to start construction on the eastern extension of the Ocean Parkway path, out to Captree State Park, an additional 10.5 miles past TOBAY, so 28 RT from East Bath House.

So Wantagh Parkway/Ellen Farrant Bike Path (as that section is officially called) @10 RT, plus east to Captree and back adds 28, total 38 so far, plus 8 RT out and back to West Bath House and you’ve got 46 total miles (starting at Cedar Creek). That’s impressive.

BIG caveat. The boardwalk/path combo west along central mall, the pool, Field 2, Field 1, TR Nature Center and West End is all boardwalk and part path with a LOT of walkers, runners, families, people accessing the beach and bathrooms, pavilions, etc...... tons of folks doing other than cycling activities. The new west end access is not something I’m riding during the summer when the beaches are open. Too many people.

Old 04-09-19, 10:02 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Steve B.
The boardwalk/path combo west along central mall, the pool, Field 2, Field 1, TR Nature Center and West End is all boardwalk and part path with a LOT of walkers, runners, families, people accessing the beach and bathrooms, pavilions, etc...... tons of folks doing other than cycling activities.
I'm slow, so if riding technically permitted now (no hour restrictions?) I may have to check that out, perhaps soonish before peak season, especially as they seem to be doing maintenance on the Westchester trails this summer.
Old 04-12-19, 11:09 AM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I just rode down there this morning from Cedar Creek Park. They did a nice job on the West end. As I got almost to the end there was a truck in what I believe the most western parking lot, On the back of the truck were huge pile drivers. One of the workers said they were breaking up the parking lot to expand the beach. If that’s true they will have to relocate that part of the path. The bilke path coming down from Cedar Creek is going to need some repair work though. Some cracks on the path.
Old 04-12-19, 06:56 PM
UniChris

It's not exactly feeling like a weekend to deal with the sometime mud in Van Cortlandt park, so if it clears up Saturday morning may have to give Jones beach a try if I can get my act together.
Old 04-13-19, 06:57 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
It's not exactly feeling like a weekend to deal with the sometime mud in Van Cortlandt park, so if it clears up Saturday morning may have to give Jones beach a try if I can get my act together.
You definitely want to avoid VCP today. Although I like the fact that it is one of the few wild places in NYC, I'm beginning to come over to the idea of having it paved. It'll get more crowded when it is though.
Old 04-13-19, 06:35 PM
UniChris

Headed to Wantagh later than planned with the big 36er unicycle and rode down to check out Jones Beach.

Had originally thought I'd ride towards Tobay first, but it was foggy on the way down and seemed that might make for a shorter ride than planned, so did the Jones Beach end first. Rain this morning and cooler temperatures meant light enough foot traffic for riding on the boardwalk to be reasonable. They've now blocked off the very west end with fencing at that parking lot being broken up, but it didn't look like the path went that much further. Also ducked over to the west boat basin until encountering a no bikes sign.

Then headed back and about two miles towards Tobay, but with sunset approaching decided to turn back, and discovered a minor headwind - which made me start thinking about something to keep my fingertips warm (I had several extra body layers I didn't need) Caught sunset on the way back North.

Although there are some cracks in the path there's not any displacement yet so this was by far the smoothest ride I've had in a long time - worst part was a few minor frost heaves in Cedar Creek Park but nothing like those on the Westchester trails or Cherry Walk. Actually kind of wish I'd brought the smaller 29er with it's 1.55x internal gear hub as the smooth path would have been a good place to work on confidence to cruise faster on the high gear mode of that.

Last edited by UniChris; 04-13-19 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 10:16 AM
Steve B.

Nice Chris.

I'm alway impressed with the fact that you do this on a Uni. Lot of effort.
Old 04-14-19, 11:52 AM
UniChris

Thanks @Steve B.. You had tried to talk me into trying Jones Beach last summer while I was frustrated with North County Trail conditions, and I'm glad you finally succeeded in getting me to go there. I think somewhere in one of these threads someone called the path out towards tobay a bit monotonous, and while I found that true when I got onto it, I also kept reminding myself that I'd been looking for something with fewer incidental annoyances where I could just work on rolling along at a more sustained pace mile after mile.

Looks like we ended up with a second almost nice day today, so a little sad I'm feeling so beat up from yesterday's ride - mostly of course still working back from the winter off, but also because not being constantly interrupted by greenway traffic lights or slowing down for trailway bumps meant more sustained riding at "as fast as confidence allows" speed than I'd yet done this year. And while that's still slower than casual biking, the nice pavement makes the most of what it can be.

Will probably head back, especially on days that seem likely to be less busy. And if the extension further to the east ends up anything like the current stretch that could be a nice route for a long uninterrupted ride. If it's on the north side of the parkway then hopefully it won't have mixed boardwalk stretches (though turnoffs crossing to them would be nice...)

Last edited by UniChris; 04-14-19 at 05:50 PM.