Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Non-metal white gas fuel bottle

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-11-19, 11:49 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts

On my summer tour, I would prefer to carry my fuel bottle (white gas) on my bike instead of in a pannier (I have cages for four other bottles, so I won't be shorting myself water). Wondering whether anyone has found a non-metal fuel bottle that will fit in a bottle cage. I could carry a metal MSR bottle in a cage, but I would prefer not to, as try as I might, there is no way to completely get away from the rattling and jangling. Also, I use a white gas stove (and a wood stove, and also an alcohol stove, both of which I like, but I'm not bringing them). I'm happy with it. I don't want/need to invest another stove, so please don't recommend I buy "Stove X instead."
Old 04-11-19, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Putting on my lawyer hat: I doubt one exists because of the proximity of the flame to the bottle. Shattering is likely also a concern.

Have you tried a thick sock with a Velcro strap for extra security. I saw that setup on the road back in '00.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-11-19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 12:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I put my MSR fuel bottle ( they are pressurized and that's another reason why plastic is a No.)

I put my MSR fuel bottle in the under the down tube bottle cage of Nylon ,plastic
and secured it further with a Toe strap around cage and bottle to have no rattling like you describe..

Old 04-11-19, 12:07 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Putting on my lawyer hat: I doubt one exists because of the proximity of the flame to the bottle. Shattering is likely also a concern.

Have you tried a thick sock with a Velcro strap for extra security. I saw that setup on the road back in '00.
My stove is a Svea, so the fuel bottle just carries fuel, it does not hook up to the stove. Something like a sock could work, but I was hoping to do this with a purpose built piece instead of with duct tape and bailing wire.
Old 04-11-19, 12:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I use plastic bottles in metal water bottle cages and a metal bottles in a plastic cages

if you look at Nalgene laboratory bottles of heavy duty thick plastics , or the bottles made for the alcohol stoves , like Trangia,

They may have gone over to metal bottles by now , I dont own one .. .. so I don't know for a fact
their safety cap may be Sigg compatible to use the Swiss metal bottles..

they may not set you on fire, using them to refill the stove off, and cold..
Old 04-11-19, 12:25 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
replace one of your bottle cages with a gorilla cage. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1Zcy2ZQwPL.jpg
Old 04-11-19, 12:28 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Unless you view glass as a viable alternative, you are out of luck. Wrap the metal bottle with old handlebar tape. If you have an MSR stove that goes with the bottle, you will have to carry the bottle anyway.
Old 04-11-19, 12:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

NB There are Nalgene bottles for volatile fluids...
https://www.fishersci.ca/shop/produc...tles/p-4522007

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-11-19 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-11-19, 12:49 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
[... snip] there is no way to completely get away from the rattling and jangling [snip ...]
Have you considered King Cages? Worth every penny.
Old 04-11-19, 12:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
NB There are Nalgene bottles for volatile fluids...
I know, I'm a chemist.

If he goes in that direction, it might be worthwhile getting one that doesn't have the squirt nozzle option.
Old 04-11-19, 12:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

profile bottle cages I use this one , prior version without the tip catch

I got a set of Super Straps decades ago bad as a pedal toe strap ,

but since it has a ratcheting buckle like a ski boot , they can get really tight around metal fuel bottle & nylon cage

Old 04-11-19, 01:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I liked the warning label on the one so you know your acetone from a hole in the ground
Old 04-11-19, 01:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
White gas or coleman fuel, I always just make sure that the lid is tight and put inside my pannier, never had any problems. If you spill a bit on the bottle doing camp kitchen chores, it is such a volatile liquid that it evaporates in a few minutes. Kerosene however does not evaporate off of the bottle very easily so I put that in a cage, such as the photo below.

There are bottles that fit the cages quite well. Photo is 9 years old, so the specific bottle in the photo is not made anymore, but I would expect that others that fit are available.

Old 04-11-19, 07:03 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
One of my msr metal bottles fits very snugly in my regular old bottle cage, no rattles or anything, but depending on how loose yours is, there must be a quick easy wrapping fix with some sort of tape, or thin tough foam, that will eliminate rattling and stay in place properly.

I do sympathize because I very much dislike rattles and whatnot on my bike.
Old 04-12-19, 12:03 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
One of my msr metal bottles fits very snugly in my regular old bottle cage, no rattles or anything, but depending on how loose yours is, there must be a quick easy wrapping fix with some sort of tape, or thin tough foam, that will eliminate rattling and stay in place properly.

I do sympathize because I very much dislike rattles and whatnot on my bike.
Like handlebar bar tape?
Old 04-12-19, 12:16 PM
djb

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Like handlebar bar tape?
a bit expensive, but sure, why not.
Really depends on the looseness and what thickness is needed.
Only the fellow who asked the question knows this and I guess if he is interested, he will have to improvise with stuff, and maybe go through Mk 1, Mk2 to finally get to Mk 3 that works for him.

seems to me there are very cheap foam cylindrical "outers" to put over beer cans in summer or that sort of thing, that could be either modified or cut up and attached together to fit either his bottle and or be a good fit for his cage.
Old 04-13-19, 07:01 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
My stove is a Svea, so the fuel bottle just carries fuel, it does not hook up to the stove. Something like a sock could work, but I was hoping to do this with a purpose built piece instead of with duct tape and bailing wire.
I thought I was the Last of the Mohicans with the Svea!

If you're dead set against an aluminum bottle, get a Nalgene. I'd bet a Gatorade bottle would be fine also.
Old 04-13-19, 11:50 AM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
I thought I was the Last of the Mohicans with the Svea!

If you're dead set against an aluminum bottle, get a Nalgene. I'd bet a Gatorade bottle would be fine also.
Treasured my Svea until...

Svea's are dead simple to operate with no moving parts, self-pressurizing, and take but a little while to master. The 1-2-3 was my favourite for years until...

They do have a fatal, and dangerous flaw. That is the over-pressure relief valve on the filler cap basically points straight at the burner. On over-pressure the valve releases, sending hot fuel vapors straight into the active flame. What results is a runaway ball of fire that burns until the fuel runs out. The the tank explodes. How do I know? Thankfully this happened outside the tent, and in an area with no burnable materials. And that it didn't hit anyone in its 15-foot flight away from its point of origin.

Still elegantly simple.

(I've since had a couple of MSRs that are much more fiddly to operate. I now prefer the little butane/propane units although there is the waste of the spent fuel bottles and poor performance in cold weather.)
Cheers!
Old 04-13-19, 12:46 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Old 04-13-19, 02:31 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by GAJett
(I've since had a couple of MSRs that are much more fiddly to operate. I now prefer the little butane/propane units although there is the waste of the spent fuel bottles and poor performance in cold weather.) Cheers!
Yes we've discussed the exciting phenomenon of SVEA pyrotechnics a couple of times here. I pretty much only use them in below freezing weather, same with my MSR. I once experienced a mini oil well fire with the MSR (bad o-ring). It was about 25 degrees when I took the above pic, and about 3 degrees for this one

Every August my bud & I use a "modern" canister burner out West. It's usually around freezing or a bit below in the mornings so a bit of a PIA to get the oatmeal going, but we make it work.

Last edited by kaos joe; 04-13-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 12:28 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,805 Times in 1,051 Posts
Perhaps an Arundel Sport (polymer) or Looney Bin (adjustable, clamping) bottle cage? Then there's the DOM Monkii cage that holds the bottle in with a big, cinching velcro strap, and the Topeak Modula EX that ratchets in to hold the bottle tight.

Last edited by tcs; 04-18-19 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 10:18 AM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djb
a bit expensive, but sure, why not.
I'd think one wrap right around the raidus of the bottle in the middle would do the trick. You can even use recycled tape.
Old 04-17-19, 10:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,954 Times in 2,643 Posts
I use the PDW Bird or Owl cages and no rattles on my MSR fuel bottle, if I need to I can push the wings in for a tighter fit on something say like a King Cage or MSW or Jim Blackburn style you can push in the top part a bit or I would wrap with some bar tape or electrical tape.
Old 04-17-19, 11:28 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
A simple strip of electrical or duct tape around the cage tube? Or a couple wraps around the bottle about a half inch from both the top and bottom, to create contact points on the bottle that aren't metal? Maybe it would be a good way to store some "emergency" tape on your tour.
Old 04-18-19, 04:23 AM
djb

Been meaning to mention this for a while, to respond specifically about using a nalgene or similar--i just really wanted to stress how it's never ever a good idea to use a visual normal drinking container for dangerous, water looking fluids.

I strongly believe this is something to avoid, as the consequences of a mix-up are pretty serious, especially down the road with a moment of inattention and especially with children or someone else.

there, my public service slash dad instincts have been expressed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.