Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Old 05-08-19, 08:05 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Dang it. Once again I farted around just long enough to put the lighthouse out of reach.

A day of tidal creeks, historic churches, over-the-top statuary, and a smattering of heavy artillery.

Old 05-08-19, 08:09 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Old 05-08-19, 02:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
72 miles, rode to Smithtown and back.

It's too early in the season to do that number of miles.
Old 05-08-19, 10:05 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
It's too early in the season to do that number of miles.
I agree!

I had been thinking about scooting up to CT and doing the Bloomin' Metric route, but the forecast went from great to meh and I decided it wasn't worth the drive time on a less than stellar day. I have not done that ride in years. Plus, I have a printed cue sheet and counted 70 turns in a 60 mile ride, on unfamiliar roads. Without road markings, I'd have spent half the day getting un-lost.

It may be time to enter the present century navigation wise. Research shall commence and and advice will be appreciated.
Old 05-11-19, 03:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Just banged out another 62.

Hell of a headwind, N12, but the ride south was really fast.
Old 05-15-19, 01:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Rode up to Bethpage to see what was going on. The streets were generally quiet. Round Swamp was closed at the triangle but you could take Quaker Meeting House to Merrits to Central. Every intersection had a handful of state troopers and vehicles blocking the road. The path is closed north of the circle. I didn't go north so I don't know where Round Swamp is closed at the north end or what's going on at Haypath.

35 miles again with a strong north wind.
Old 05-16-19, 06:42 PM
kaos joe

Every intersection had a handful of state troopers and vehicles blocking the road. The path is closed north of the circle...
I went through there today on my way to Caumsett. A pair of troopers at the traffic circle directed me onto the path, and told me Quaker Meeting House Rd was closed to bikes and pedestrians.

I was dead tired after working a couple of consecutive nights but with the sun shining, no way I was sleeping through this one. 50 miles exactly.
Caumsett State Park, Lloyd Harbor NY looking north at Connecticut.
Old 05-18-19, 01:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Did the "B" ride with MPBC out of the LIRR station, I did "sweep".

It was SLOOOOW, but fun. We went to Comack via a southern route to avoid Bethpage.

On the way home one of he riders got a flat in Amityville. There was a nail through the dead center of the time and poked out just above the bead. I wound up changing the tube since no one else knew how to.

Gonna maybe get up early and ride down to Tobay tomorrow.
Old 05-19-19, 03:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

OK.. a 25mph headwind to Tobay was not necessary.

Anyway I picked up a new chain for my CX bike since I finally got to do a end of season cleaning and it was time for a new one. Brands had one in stock so the bike is ready to be ridden one the weather turn cold again.
Old 05-19-19, 09:06 PM
kaos joe

OK.. a 25mph headwind to Tobay was not necessary.......
Dude, why didn't you warn us about that wind?

Just kidding. We went the other way to West End, 30 miles total. Flew home! Wife likes the new path extension,
Old 05-20-19, 07:02 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Dude, why didn't you warn us about that wind?
I did but I guess you didn't hear me.
Old 05-20-19, 07:46 AM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Was going for an early ride to Tobay Sun. Morning. Load the car up come out 15 mins. later & it’s raining. Put the car in the garage and 15 mins later the sun is out. Ride out to Tobay & at the beginning of the return leg it pours for about 10 minutes. All in all though a good day with thankfully not that much wind in the am
Old 05-20-19, 09:33 AM
kaos joe

I did but I guess you didn't hear me.
We did hear you. We're just stubborn (her) and stupid (me).

Good ride anyway.
Old 05-20-19, 12:57 PM
andboy

Bikes: Trek Madon 4.5, Fausto Coppi Masciaghi

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"New" to Patchogue

Hi all. Starting to get my legs back together, used to ride quite a bit in Texas and MD. Did some 12 and 24 hr ultra, Randonneur and the HHH a few times. Been living in Patchogue for a couple years and been getting fatter and fatter. Just turning that around!

Up to 19 miles now without too much effort. 13/14mph average. Joined SBRA and thinking I shouldn't impact a ride too much if I came along.

Anyone know the route of the "South Shore C" from Sayville train station?

Back to the thread. I rode past Brookhaven to the reserve and back in a figure of 8 loop using South Country and Beaver Dam road. Much enjoyable. Even managed to stop and buy a bottle of water as I forgot mine...
Old 05-20-19, 11:07 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by andboy
Hi all....Anyone know the route of the "South Shore C" from Sayville train station?
Welcome to L.I. !

What is the "South Shore C"?.......century? From Sayville LIRR station to Montauk village clocks out at 80 miles by my route. I can send you that, if that's what you have in mind.
Old 05-22-19, 10:42 AM
andboy

Bikes: Trek Madon 4.5, Fausto Coppi Masciaghi

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to L.I. !

What is the "South Shore C"?.......century? From Sayville LIRR station to Montauk village clocks out at 80 miles by my route. I can send you that, if that's what you have in mind.
It was a club ride, which apparently does not have a set route! But yes, please do send that route. I would like to build to that!
Old 05-22-19, 01:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Out on a 30+ early afternoon ride, spent 10 minutes playing Goose and Gosling Wrangler (that's a movie term) on Plainview Rd. near Haypath. The geese wanted out of the sump, into the curb side mud puddle so the babies could drink, then across the road to a nice green lawn at somebody's house, to eat and poop. Given the extreme abundance of Canada geese in these parts, I only think I was doing the correct thing. Some of the motorists thought I was doing the right thing, some curmudgeons were blowing their horns as I held up traffic. 10 minutes out of my ride, but I needed the break from the 20 mph north wind. No pics though, too dark in the shade.

The goslings were SO CUTE !
Old 05-22-19, 03:17 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Out on a 30+ early afternoon ride, spent 10 minutes playing Goose and Gosling Wrangler (that's a movie term) on Plainview Rd. near Haypath. ....

Good work there.....but now you need a cowboy hat!

I did an afternoon spin to Oyster Bay.....we didn't pass one another again did we?
Old 05-22-19, 03:56 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Good work there.....but now you need a cowboy hat!

I did an afternoon spin to Oyster Bay.....we didn't pass one another again did we?
I was out around 1-3, didn’t see any other riders, but was west of your normal route.

Remember this ?,
Old 05-22-19, 09:43 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I was out around 1-3, didn’t see any other riders, but was west of your normal route. Remember this ?,
That's a new (old) one for me. Love it! I have one cat and can't control him.

I got the plastic Trek out, and was going north on Round Swamp when I got a glimpse of an unusual camo pattern through the trees..........not something you see on every bike ride....

Old 05-24-19, 03:43 AM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by andboy
It was a club ride, which apparently does not have a set route! But yes, please do send that route. I would like to build to that!
Ok Andboy, KaosJoe here. There's lots of ways to get to Montauk. This is the way I usually do it. I'm sure there are improvements to be made so I'll put this where other riders can see it and hopefully we both learn new tricks.

I see from your previous posts you're living in Patchogue and are familiar with the routes 65 & 36 (Middle Rd & South Country) ways of getting east as far as the Wertheim Nat. Refuge, but maybe not familiar with what's further out.

From the Wertheim Refuge, it's bite the bullet and get on Montauk Hwy for a while. Traffic, but a good shoulder for at least a couple of miles. Last time I did the Montauk ride a couple of weeks ago, I found bike route markings on the pavement at the first right turn after the Refuge. Apparently put there by one of the organized rides that traverse the area, it gets you off the highway(good), but the marks either peter out or I just lost the trail somewhere in the wilds of Mastic/Shirley. I just kept trying to head east or north and eventually rejoined Montauk Hwy. If you have GPS or the patience to mess with your phone navigation app this might be a good alternative, but until I join the electronic age I'm probably just going to stay on Montauk and ride with caution. Anyway, only a few miles gets you into Moriches where the traffic/commercial development thins out considerably.

Going further east, some of the organized rides opt to veer left on the Moriches Bypass (decent shoulder IIRC); I prefer to stay on Montauk & go through the towns. I just like it better,

Getting into Speonk, you can stay on Montauk Hwy which is just fine.....I prefer a little detour by veering right at the fork onto South Country and getting down into Remsenburg. Stay on S. Country to the end, turn left on Apaucuck Point Rd, right on South Rd, and left on Potunk Ln. (or go straight another block into Westhampton if in need of provisions). North on Potunk to traffic circle, right on Brook Rd, right on Meetinghouse Rd, which takes you back to Montauk Hwy. It's not confusing really because you're always heading north or east.

Now a longish stretch on Montauk thru Quogue, East Quogue, Hampton Bays. One of these days I'll try something different through here. Pushing on, cross the Shinnecock Canal and into, oh boy, da Hamptons. Traverse the Shinnecock Reservation, staying on Montauk which becomes Hill Street as it gets into Southampton. Getting into Southampton, you will come upon a little grassy triangle with lots of Civil War artillery. If you want to stop, don't ride straight ahead up Job's Lane, you risk a ticket. There is a nice deli to get food 50 yards east of the artillery, and a nice park right there to eat it. Clean public rest rooms here also. Back to the cannons, go north on Windmill St, Rotations Bike shop on the right if you need anything. Another block north and turn right on 27A and continue east. (Or you could meander the very beautiful area south of downtown, Toylsome Ln, Wickapogue Rd, Flying Point Rd, Cobb Rd, etc, but I'm trying to get you to Montauk before dark).

Montauk Hwy now designated rt 27 continues east thru Water Mill where you see your first windmill. Going further east into Bridgehampton, I like to get off 27 by making a right onto Newlight Ln which becomes Paul's Ln. (The village areas in the Hamptons are very pretty but kind of bustling so I usually opt for the quieter byways.) From Pauls Ln, left at the T on Ocean Ave, and a very quick right on Bridge Ln. Across the bridge....Bridge ends on Sagg Main Rd. A right turn dead ends at a beautiful beach, a left brings us to the next right turn and eastward leg on Hedges Ln. At the T, a right on Town Line, quick left on Wainscott Main. A one room schoolhouse and pretty little chapel on the left, views of the ocean away across the fields on the right. Left on Sayre's Path, quick right on Wainscott Stone Rd., and back to the sound of traffic on Montauk Hwy again.

Right turn, past Ron Perelman's (Revlon) extensive estate on the right. There's an M60 tank on the north side of the road that used to have its 105mm pointed right at the road till people complained. I like to get off 27 ASAP, so even though it adds a bit , I turn right on Georgica Rd. This is a staggeringly wealthy area. Stay with Georgica (NOT Georgica Close) to a sharp right on LaForest. Right on Apaquogue, which curls around to the left and becomes Lily Pond La. Georgica Beach on the right, rest rooms, beach showers. Rode past Steven Spielberg walking a dog here once. Heading east again on Lily Pond, left at the T on Ocean Ave, and into East Hampton. Stay right at the fork on James La, slow way down, and look about......historic cemetery, ancient church and windmill, a couple of small museums of local history, gorgeous Town Pond and Town Green on the left. This has been called the most beautiful village street in America. Maybe it is.

Turn right on Dunemere, which becomes Further Ln for a further stretch of eastbound gorgeousness. Right on Indian Wells Hwy (another beach at the end), but turn left on Bluff Rd. Bluff runs back into Montauk Hwy which is smooth flat and fast, but to avoid 99% of the traffic, cross it onto Cranberry Hole Rd which parallels it to the north. Wife & I almost t-boned a deer here on our tandem. Right on Napeague Meadow Rd which returns you to Montauk Hwy. Turn left. Pass the Lobster Roll, with its to-the-point "LUNCH" sign. Have a lobster roll.

With about 5 miles to go until Montauk village, the road forks. Your pick; the left fork brings a loooong gradual climb with an impressive vista at the top, a level-ish stretch through wooded land and then a long descent into the village on a butter smooth wide shoulder. Unfortunately 90% of the car/truck traffic is there with you. The right fork, Old Montauk Hwy, is a unique roller coaster of a road with kinda narrow shoulders, some rough spots and limited sight distances due to the short steep rollers, beautiful ocean views, a 30mph speed limit and much less traffic. Hither Hills St Park on the right, with a beach, water, rest rooms, showers, etc. If you've got the legs, the rollers are a lot of fun. If you're running on fumes.......

I almost always pick the right hand fork.

And into funky Montauk village. Food, lodging, a brew, all here. If you want fishing boats, etc with food and lodging, the "fishing village" is about 2 miles north, up Edgemere St at the mouth of the harbor. The railroad station, end of the line, is about halfway up, if taking the train back west.

And about 6 rolling and beautiful miles past the village, is the iconic lighthouse.

Last edited by kaos joe; 05-24-19 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-25-19, 09:42 PM
kaos joe

Mouth of Nissequogue River

Another great day on the long yellow bike. I think we all deserve it after all the rain. 12 riders, 49 miles to Old Dock.
Old 05-26-19, 11:16 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Drove to the airshow yesterday with the wife, so I rode there today with the bike. Headed down around 8:30 and not bad.did 2 repeats from the pencil to Tobay and then hung for a while and watched the show. The ride north was VERY crowded with lots of people riding 3 across. I put on my front strobe in the hopes people would see me and move over... most didn't.

Still glad I rode down but I sure wouldn't head down at 11:00... too crowded.

BTW, at 11:00am traffic was backed up to the toll booths.

Last edited by GlennR; 05-26-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-27-19, 10:21 AM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Rode to Jacob Riss Park on Friday great day for a ride bumped into a former co-worker who I
haven't seen in 20 yrs.
Sunday morning I left from Bethpage and went to Cold Spring Harbor. First time on Rt. 108 it’s a beautiful road. Not being at much of a rider of hills I could have lived w/o going up Avery Rd. Another beautiful day for a ride followed up by a 3hr deck cleaning session. If I knew that was coming I wouldn’t have pulled into the driveway ��. I hope everyone enjoys their Memorial Day.
Old 05-27-19, 01:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Did a 30 mile north just to be outside today. It was a nice ride with the exception of getting cut off twice, almost run over crossing Linden in the cross walk and a dog running in front of me and almost hitting it.

Can't wait till the weekdays when there's less people out and about.

"HEY YOU KIDS, GET OFF THE GRASS".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.