Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

SS frame with ZERO holes? (bottle, rack, fender, etc)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 11:26 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

So I'm considering a SS build for my nephew. He was talking about how cool it would be if there was a frame with no holes -- totally clean tubing free of bottle mounts, fender mounts, etc. He doesn't know I'm considering the build, but I was looking for info on sourcing the hole-free frame. Does such an animal exist? I can get one built, but I don't wanna spend that much money. Something off the shelf would be nice. He's 6' tall so a 58cm would be perfect.

Also, what are thoughts regarding a rear coaster brake only? I was thinking about taking the "no holes" thing to the extreme and filling brake mount holes and going with a single rear coaster brake. I already know the majority of braking is best at the front, but I know virtually nothing about coaster brakes. Can a big, college aged young man lock up a coaster brake? I remember from my youth laying out yards of skid marks, but that was me as an 80 lb kid. Is a single coaster brake a death sentence?

Help out a SS noob.

-Kedosto
Old 06-19-19, 11:57 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
He'll definitely be able to lock up a coaster brake. Stopping power might be a concern though. IMO coaster brakes are fine at lower speeds, but if he's going to be riding fast the lack of stopping power could be an issue.
Old 06-19-19, 11:59 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
And track frames are generally pretty hole-free. Some now have bottle cage mounts but there are plenty without.
Old 06-19-19, 12:08 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Any dedicated track frame should match your desire. They tend to be pricey. Does he want steel or aluminum? EAI Bare Knuckle is a top quality steel frame with no holes, other than in the fork crown and seat stay bridge, for brakes. They are no longer in production and possibly only available at Retrogression--Google it. Another option is the Cinelli Vigorelli Steel. (Did I mention these choices are expensive?) Any used Keirin racing frames will be hole-free and high quality, but maybe not in great shape cosmetically. If you go with aluminum, prices are a bit lower. Dolan has some good offerings, and so does Aventon.

The braking question depends a lot on what kind of riding he's doing. On flat terrain at moderate speeds, a coaster brake is sufficient. Riding at higher speeds, in heavy traffic, or down big hills, I think a good brake of some sort on the front wheel is almost mandatory.
Old 06-19-19, 12:16 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
you're building him a beach cruiser?
Old 06-19-19, 01:35 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
you're building him a beach cruiser?
LOL I can see how the coaster brake idea makes it seem that way. With more research, I'm gonna skip the whole coaster brake thing. I was thinking of how clean the bike could be without any holes or cables -- nothing. But I also remember how I used to ride when I was that age and a coaster brake alone would definitely be a bad idea.

Track frames certainly bring the clean lines, but damn are they steep. 75* head angles!? I dunno. At this point I think I'm gonna keep it simple; Craigslist for something clean and straight, powder coat and a simple black & white scheme. He'll have fun with it.

Thanks for the help.

-Kedosto