Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Old 06-18-19, 05:32 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by andboy
Thankyou! I am of the electronic persuation as my sense of direction is non existent! If others are interested, you may find the above route here.....I will be adding the focal features later. Just got back up to 50 miles, so plan on doing this before the end of the summer - one way!

That's petty cool! If it keeps raining we'll be doing it in canoes next.

If you aren't ready for the whole thing, consider, say, doing the eastern segment......a couple of times we have parked at Meschutt Beach at the northern end of the Shinnecock Canal, and ridden out to the point from there. IIRC it's about 50 miles or so. You can take the train back to Hampton Bays. I've had a LIRR/MTA pass for years and can't remember if I've ever actually been asked to produce it by a conductor.

Do you have any recommendations regarding a GPS, to be used for following the kind of route file you produced? I'm NOT of the electronic persuasion so simpler is better and all sorts of nifty features will only muddy the waters for me. I can say I like long battery life.

SteveB, if you're reading this I welcome your GPS input too.....

Keep the rubber side down.
Old 06-18-19, 08:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
That's petty cool! If it keeps raining we'll be doing it in canoes next.

If you aren't ready for the whole thing, consider, say, doing the eastern segment......a couple of times we have parked at Meschutt Beach at the northern end of the Shinnecock Canal, and ridden out to the point from there. IIRC it's about 50 miles or so. You can take the train back to Hampton Bays. I've had a LIRR/MTA pass for years and can't remember if I've ever actually been asked to produce it by a conductor.

Do you have any recommendations regarding a GPS, to be used for following the kind of route file you produced? I'm NOT of the electronic persuasion so simpler is better and all sorts of nifty features will only muddy the waters for me. I can say I like long battery life.

SteveB, if you're reading this I welcome your GPS input too.....

Keep the rubber side down.
Wahoo Bolt or Garmin Edge Explore (My preference). They run about $250 but essentially replace all your bike computers, keep track of your rides and can easily allow on-line route planning, then a painless download to the device. Then you’ve got Turn-By-Turn directions.

The Garmin is bigger and has superior maps, the Bolt is easier to setup and a bit more reliable. Both do TBT equally well, the Garmin displays it on a color map. Gamin uses online Garmin Connect to plan put routes (courses), Bolt uses RideWithGPS. Both work very well. Many clubs generate routes for rides (Tour of the Hamptons ?, D2R2), on RWGPS, so it’s easy to get onto a Bolt, only slightly more complicated with a Garmin

Battery life can run 15 hrs. or so, easily 10-12 while navigating, so you can get thru a century.
Old 06-19-19, 06:47 AM
nycbr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the rules about bringing bikes on the LIRR? I have heard absolutely not but have also heard that it was ok off peak.
Old 06-19-19, 07:21 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by nycbr
What are the rules about bringing bikes on the LIRR? I have heard absolutely not but have also heard that it was ok off peak.
This took 2 seconds to find.

MTA LIRR - Bicycle Policy Information
Old 06-19-19, 02:09 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Wahoo Bolt or Garmin Edge Explore (My preference).......
Thanks for the advice, Steve. Based on that I lean towards the Bolt. Simpler sounds better. Now to procrastinate for several weeks........
Old 06-19-19, 02:50 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Thanks for the advice, Steve. Based on that I lean towards the Bolt. Simpler sounds better. Now to procrastinate for several weeks........
You need a smartphone to activate and setup the screens for Wahoo devices. Just FYI
Old 06-19-19, 08:15 PM
kaos joe

You need a smartphone to activate and setup the screens for Wahoo devices. Just FYI
I've got a smart phone, the limitation will be the (not) smart user.....
Old 06-25-19, 06:20 AM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Billy1111
sat did 84 st to floyd bennett and sunday did 84 st to ft tilden......i really like this run and its close to me ....guys are actually trying to pass you on that marine pkwy bridge with trafffic coming each way and its about 3ft wide....i felt like stiff arming one of 'm
84th st in manhattan or 84th st in Bklyn ? to FB Field etc (I live upstate but bike in the city a couple of times a year - trying to visualize the routes U mentioned
Old 06-26-19, 06:51 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Headed out early to beat the heat. I headed north to Oyster Bay and then went to Sagamore Hill. Felt great so I they went east to Huntington, then Northport, Smithtown and St. James. Finally realized that i still have to get home and its getting hot, so back to Dix Hills and stopped by a friend's house for some AC. I still had 17 miles to go and had to take 2 more short breaks since I didn't take in enough nutrition. Finally got home 8 hours later.

71 miles in 88* heat. I need to get my head examined.
Old 06-28-19, 11:08 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Got out early again to beat the heat but knew I was going to limit my time... 31 miles.

I was averaging 16mph and stopped at Stop and Shop in Plainview for a banana and cold drink. When I got back on the bike I noticed my average speed was dropped down to 15.1mph. After checking the Garmin settings I saw that "auto stop" was set to 0mph and not 3mph it previously was. Now I know why my average speed at the end of a ride is lower than it was last year.

This happened over the winter when my Garmin 510 decided to reset itself and I had to reconfigure it.
Old 06-29-19, 06:45 PM
kaos joe

We did our first LI ride in a while, after a week of relaxing riding and vacationing in western NY and adjacent Canada. 40.0 miles exactly to Northport. I'm usually heat averse but did OK today.....the Northport route is relatively flat and seemed even more so after some of the gradients we winched ourselves up in the Finger Lakes.
Old 07-02-19, 12:57 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Headed out at 6:00am, it was 64*F and really nice. Did the Oyster Bay to Tobay ride and it was 85*F by the time I got home.

Perfect timing and weather.
Old 07-03-19, 08:03 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Citi Bike Key Fob design has changed in the six years I've been a member. Citi Bike no longer mails new keys, you must go to a designated kiosk, most of which appear to be around Central Park.

I rode to 144th street and back to Penn Station today . I bought one large bottle of water, but refilled it four times at drinking fountains in Vrntral Park.
Old 07-07-19, 12:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

"B" ride with MPBC out of Bethpage to Bayville.

It was slow, but I had time to catch up with some people I haven't ridden with for a while.
Old 07-09-19, 11:52 AM
Steve B.

Todays ride was at the spanking new Shirley Chisholm State Park, in Brooklyn. The park opened last week, is located on the former Pennsylvania Ave. landfill, accessable from Penn. Ave. where you drive in to the parking lot. A paved path heads north than east to the fishing piers, as well there are currently about 3-1/2 - 4 or so miles of gravel trails that follow the perimeter and head up to the picnic tables on top of the hill.

I rode my. mt. bike today on these paths, lots of fun. Suitable for a road bike with 28 + tires (IMO) as the gravel is medium size. All the trails are open to bikes.

The Belt Path runs right past the park entrance, so easy detour into the park and out to the pier on the paved section. Eventually (2021) is the schedule) they will open the Fountain Ave. landfill/park, which according to the map will offer likely another 6 miles or so.

https://parks.ny.gov/parks/200/details.aspx

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37015986

Last edited by Steve B.; 07-09-19 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 04:24 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Planned on getting a early ride in before heading out to my son's for a few days to help with some projects at this house. But... didn't get out till noon and it was HOT. Only did 20 miles and even though I finished a 24oz bottle, I felt like puking, so I need to "up" my hydration.
Old 07-10-19, 07:07 AM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by GlennR
Planned on getting a early ride in before heading out to my son's for a few days to help with some projects at this house. But... didn't get out till noon and it was HOT. Only did 20 miles and even though I finished a 24oz bottle, I felt like puking, so I need to "up" my hydration.
These are tough conditions for me too. Saturday was oppressive, but about a dozen of us had planned to do our own circumnavigation of Peconic Bay. In 62 miles I drank well over 100 oz. I got through it without cramping, but 14 hours later that night at work, it caught up with me and I suddenly got woozy. I apparently looked bad enough that a group of ICU nurses frog marched me to a recliner and force fed me a pitcher of orange juice after I refused to let them stick an IV into my arm. 5 minutes later I felt ok.

Gotta be careful.
Old 07-14-19, 11:28 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Got up early and rode to Tobay and then to Bethpage where I joined the "B" ride to Comack. 67 miles total and really hot by the end of the ride.
Old 07-16-19, 05:59 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Early morning 25 mile workout. I was surprised that I averaged 17mph, I guess since there was no wind. 64*F at the start and 74*F at the end.
Old 07-19-19, 07:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Late day ride. Headed out at 6:00pm and I have to say the Massapequa preserve was empty. I think I saw 2 people the entire length from Clark to Linden. Headed to the LIE and turned around. As long as I was mving it was OK< but as soon as I stopped... I was a hot mess.
Old 07-20-19, 02:00 PM
kaos joe

BoneHead Ride!

Took some benefit time on a slow night, left work early to make a 'beat-the-heat" 7am roll out with friends. Got to the meet up spot, Mrs asked "where are the water bottles?"

Well, in the refrigerator where I left them, dear. Sleep deprivation, one of life's joys.

Not going to ask them to wait so we got back in the car, went home and rode to the beach from there. Only 30 miles, a little cooler down there but still not great. Going slow on the boardwalk sections with a tailwind and consequently no airflow was bad. I've never wished for a headwind before.
Old 07-21-19, 09:01 AM
Steve B.

Got out at 6:30 for an EASY roll to Jones Beach, where there was a wonderful west wind at 10mph. Almost didn’t want to leave. Got back before it got unbearable. My GPS said 77 at beach at 7:15, 87 at BP by 8. Everybody got the memo about no hard efforts.
Old 07-21-19, 10:04 AM
kaos joe

....Everybody got the memo about no hard efforts.
We rolled out from home at 715am with another couple of tandemistas and did an easy pace 42 miler to the east northport area. It felt pretty oppressive at first but oddly enough less so on the return leg, and we picked up the speed a bit. The increase in temp must drive down the relative humidity and maybe that's what we/I perceive as being unpleasant, more than the temp. What do I know, I'm just a pedaling peasant.

Knocking 2-3 mph off the usual AA pace does make a big difference.

And in a couple of weeks I'll be walking on snow/ice, I can't wait.
Old 07-26-19, 03:03 PM
Steve B.

Did some bike commuting this week so decided to do a medium ride out in Manorville. I think there are 2 traffic lights in this area. Really nice rides on country roads, lots of state and county parks around so pretty wooded and quiet. Found the semi-famous big bull.

Old 07-30-19, 07:23 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Beat the heat ride... headed out at 5:00am with both front and rear lights on. It was 69* when I started and 74* when i ended at 8:30. 40 miles at a brisk 16.8mph.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.