Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

One piece multitool? OPMT EDC

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-19, 02:43 PM
katerba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good folks, I'm riding again for the first time since college, and looking for some advice for cool and useful small lightweight bike tools, and tangentially curious if anyone has any links to super cool keychain gadgets, fidget thingies, and the like. I've decided to skip getting a Crank Bros M17 or Topeak Mini 9 until I understand my bike better. Not interested in any heavy folding plier like multitool - I've already got plenty, and the bike options are full of tools I don't yet need, and subscribe to "something that does everything, does nothing well". Basically I can't seem to find something cycling specific tool in the vein of a Gerber Shard, and dream of finding a hex/bike friendly OPMT I can fall in love with as much as my discontinued TT Pocket Tools Chopper.

My only bike specific tools are the Park Tools MT-1, Pedro's Six Pack, and Pedro's Trixie. These single piece metal tools are light, strong, simple, and cheap. They are not frustratingly small, ineffective, or awkward. I've already got a micro ratchet and bits. Could there be such a thing as an Atwood-like bike specific holy grail of EDC pocket tools?
The neat little Specialized EMT Micro seems like a Swiss Army Rambler type pocket tool, so I can't resist that, but it's not an OMPT. No current need for torx 25 until I upgrade to disc brakes.

Since someone will ask, my SS summer project is a nearly new KHS Solo One 2006. I'm upgrading the bar, stem, chainring, chain, pedals, and grips using the trinity of tools above. Next phase of the project is upgrading crankset, wheelset, and brakes, so that'll be a separate tool thread (who would EDC tools for those components?!)
Old 08-20-19, 08:31 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
2 3 4 5 6mm short-arm hex keys
2 pedro's tire levers
patch kit
mini pump
2 x $5 bills
Old 08-21-19, 06:59 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The only one-piece bike specific multi-tool I know of is the Park MT-1 "Dog Bone" you already have. One thing I've noticed about "Holy Grail" items is they don't seem to exist.
Old 08-21-19, 01:12 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
2 3 4 5 6mm short-arm hex keys
2 pedro's tire levers
patch kit
mini pump
2 x $5 bills
I carry a few more tools than on Grizzly's list but not much more. Multitools have way more implements than are needed so are heavier than need be. Hex keys I carry inserted through a piece of old bike tube with holes punched through for the keys. This hold the hex keys securely. The whole works is carried in a small hand sewn pouch.
Old 08-21-19, 03:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don't like multitools. I do carry an MT-1 but I hope not to need it much. I prefer real tools, and honestly, they're not that heavy or hard to keep organized.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-22-19, 07:03 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Keeping it simple

Originally Posted by HillRider
The only one-piece bike specific multi-tool I know of is the Park MT-1 "Dog Bone" you already have.
I carry the Park MT-1, plus a spare tube and a patch kit. This has been enough for me. The jackknife-style tools look heavy to me.
Old 08-22-19, 10:30 PM
katerba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The only one-piece bike specific multi-tool I know of is the Park MT-1 "Dog Bone" you already have. One thing I've noticed about "Holy Grail" items is they don't seem to exist.
Hence the search...of course I prefer a proper tool for the job, but I really like fidgety cool pocketable tools also, and while the MT-1 is that, it’s also the sort of thing EDC zealots usually improve on, or at least make a knockoff in titanium, cerakote, or fabricate Damascus style steel, etc, and I’m stunned looking into it there’s not really ANY thing out there that I can find. Anyone have anything other than this and the Reductivist Ring tool??
Old 08-22-19, 10:38 PM
katerba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I carry a few more tools than on Grizzly's list but not much more. Multitools have way more implements than are needed so are heavier than need be. Hex keys I carry inserted through a piece of old bike tube with holes punched through for the keys. This hold the hex keys securely. The whole works is carried in a small hand sewn pouch.
Yeah, I’m not necessarily looking for a packing list as much as alternatives to the popular multitools out there. Your solution is simple and clever - it’s hard to beat a simple hex key for bike adjustment, and I can throw a 4,5,6mm in my pocket or bag, but surely there’s something I can put on my keychain or pocket and admire its machining or design when I’m not pedaling...?!
Old 08-22-19, 11:44 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by katerba
Yeah, I’m not necessarily looking for a packing list as much as alternatives to the popular multitools out there. Your solution is simple and clever - it’s hard to beat a simple hex key for bike adjustment, and I can throw a 4,5,6mm in my pocket or bag, but surely there’s something I can put on my keychain or pocket and admire its machining or design when I’m not pedaling...?!
It sounds like the Silca t-ratchet kit is what you are looking for, but it is not one piece.

Most of us like to have our nicest tools at home. I don’t think that you are going to find a key ring tool. Abbey makes some nice pocketable stuff too.
Old 08-23-19, 07:40 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I figured out what OPMT means: one-piece multi-tool. I had to look up EDC: everyday carry.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-23-19, 08:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Fix-it-sticks. It may not fit on a key ring but it is a very versatile tool kit that actually fits your hand like good tools do.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-23-19, 10:38 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Something I carry, KMC Tire Lever/Quick Link Opener:

Old 08-23-19, 11:00 PM
katerba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
It sounds like the Silca t-ratchet kit is what you are looking for, but it is not one piece.

Most of us like to have our nicest tools at home. I don’t think that you are going to find a key ring tool. Abbey makes some nice pocketable stuff too.
Abbey looks really nice! I’d love to fuss with the 4-Way Multi-Tool, over machined and lovely. The Silca ratchet looks real nice too, both unnecessary wish list items, keep em coming..
Old 08-24-19, 06:43 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
A multitude of bicycle multi-tools on aliexpress.com

I have a "Boy" brand 21 function that fits in the flap slot of my seat bag.
Old 08-24-19, 07:01 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Not at all bicycle specific but here is a one-piece multitool for EDC that fills a number of functions all for under $8 ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiss-Tec...SABEgJs_PD_BwE )

What more could you ask?
Old 08-24-19, 10:36 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
There's 5mm Allen key and there's otherwise.

A 5mm allen wrench is all you need for probably 80% of bicycle maintenance and emergency repairs. It takes more gizmos than I want to carry with me to handle the other 20%.
Old 08-25-19, 09:39 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Abbey looks really nice! I’d love to fuss with the 4-Way Multi-Tool, over machined and lovely. The Silca ratchet looks real nice too, both unnecessary wish list items, keep em coming..
If you are looking for bike tool jewelry, there are definitely other things out there:

Mini bit ratchet - there are a couple of nice brands; I have the Wera mini-Zyklop. It is a joy to use, and I carry the bits that I need, plus an extension.
https://www.kctoolco.com/wera-057418...i-bitorsion-1/

Anything that Efficient Velo Tools builds is about the best there is, but they are mostly specialty tools. Their workstand is their most visible product and has a price to match its reputation. Everything they make is made in the USA. Pro mechanics refer to their pressure gauge as "The Rolex":
https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/bleedin-gauge

The German-made Knipex pliers-wrench, like the bit ratchet is also not bike specific, is also a great addition to a pro toolbox. I carry the 5" and the 7" is a great size for a workshop - big enough for threaded headsets, but small enough that the head can still get to 8 and 10mm bolts. You really have to use them or see a video to understand how useful they are.

Although Bondhus hex keys are ubiquitous, the PB Swiss L-keys are superior, and the color coding is helpful as well.
https://www.amazon.com/PB-Swiss-212L...dp/B00312LYWM/

If you prefer a sliding T-handle, the Spanish brand Beta is amazing. Very hard tool steel and excellent tolerances:
https://www.amazon.com/Beta-951-S6-T...dp/B00FI17CS4/