Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Are prices increasing for Chinese made bikes?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Are prices increasing for Chinese made bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 07:40 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Factory prices are normally provided in US currency...
Chinese factory costs are in yuan. True, they don't have to adjust their US dollar prices, if their inscrutable business model is to kill off those private label brands that for some reason can't source elsewhere.
Likes For tcs:
Old 09-03-19, 07:56 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by edwong3
With so many (the majority in fact) consumer products coming from China, good luck with that task.
Difficult? Yes.

Impossible? Nope!

Just takes a little more effort.
Old 09-03-19, 07:59 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Not wanting to be a party poo-per, but remember what I said at the start of the thread to keep politics out of these discussions, or at the very least this topic since it is so controversial. We're all in this together and finger pointing is so wasteful and non productive.
A discussion of politics, when the subject matter is increased costs due to import tariffs, is unavoidable.

The conversation, however, should be kept civil.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 09-03-19, 08:18 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Chinese factory costs are in yuan. True, they don't have to adjust their US dollar prices, if their inscrutable business model is to kill off those private label brands that for some reason can't source elsewhere.
I have worked with the same factory for 15 years. I consider them to be very honest and honorable. I don't understand the " kill private label" statement. I don't agree with that generalization.

@bargainguy I read that BF made Burley trailers in the Eugene factory. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 09-03-19, 08:39 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Not if the discussion tilts towards accusations whether real or imagined. There's other more appropriate forums for that type of discussion.

Now if we're talking about the motives from both sides behind these increased tariffs and duties (why is this happening), that is perfectly fine in my opinion, and it's easier to keep it civil from that perspective.

I actually thought that more emphasis would be given to the consequences that we the consumer are faced with because of this situation.

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
A discussion of politics, when the subject matter is increased costs due to import tariffs, is unavoidable.

The conversation, however, should be kept civil.
Old 09-03-19, 09:44 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I have worked with the same factory for 15 years. I consider them to be very honest and honorable. I don't understand the " kill private label" statement. I don't agree with that generalization.

@bargainguy I read that BF made Burley trailers in the Eugene factory. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Yan
You can read the history here which mentions the Burley trailers...

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/more-history
Old 09-03-19, 09:52 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Linberl,

Everything you said is true. However BF got funding because they were not so solvent. The CEO said this on their site a couple years back. They have cut down on their business many times to reduce costs ( they used to make strollers ). I don't think an economic downturn ( even with high import duties ) will be good for them.

Thanks
Yan
As one of their investors, I don't they ever suggested that insolvency was the reason they opened it up. They wanted to change their model of solely custom builds (which created a backlog at certain times of the year which cost them customers) so they needed funds to move some of the models to stock S/M/L frames on hand and more readily available to dealers. They also wanted to move into electric bikes, which they have done and continue to develop. Not sure where you are getting your info but it doesn't square with what I've been told or seen. Dropping the Tikit to move to the pakiT, which is a much less labor intensive build, is also part of their shift to be more responsive to customer demand.
Old 09-03-19, 09:56 PM
linberl

At Bike Friday, Alan Scholz is leading the development of their e-bikes. While he designed the Burley, it's not something he has been involved with for many years. He mentioned a goal of getting a sub 20 lb e-bike available to consumers...mine is 23.5 so it's definitely possible.
Old 09-03-19, 10:09 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Are they similar to the camps on the southern USA border?

Thanks
Yan
Concentration camps in the US Southern border?

Please provide the evidence regarding the existence of forced labor concentration camps in the US Southern border.

Thank you.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 09-03-19, 10:16 PM
edwong3

A sub 20 lbs. e-bike would be amazing. What model of e-bike do you ride linberl?

Originally Posted by linberl
At Bike Friday, Alan Scholz is leading the development of their e-bikes. While he designed the Burley, it's not something he has been involved with for many years. He mentioned a goal of getting a sub 20 lb e-bike available to consumers...mine is 23.5 so it's definitely possible.
Old 09-03-19, 10:20 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Not if the discussion tilts towards accusations whether real or imagined. There's other more appropriate forums for that type of discussion.

Now if we're talking about the motives from both sides behind these increased tariffs and duties (why is this happening), that is perfectly fine in my opinion, and it's easier to keep it civil from that perspective.

I actually thought that more emphasis would be given to the consequences that we the consumer are faced with because of this situation.
If prices rise beyond the consumers’ comfort zone, they will stop buying the product. In that case the manufacturers will be forced to cut prices to lure consumers back.

Bike, and bike components are not a necessity like food, medical care or even fuel. Bike purchases are a discretionary item.

Whether tariffs work to achieve the intended result is a subject for minds far greater than mine—even economists are divided on the subject.

I can tell you, however, that if a Chinese made bike (or an Italian made one for that matter) rose in price due to tariffs, and the price rose beyond my comfort level I would just not buy it. It is really that simple.

In California I am forced to pay high gas prices (higher than in the rest of the nation) due to idiotic taxes (another form of tariff). I have no choice in that case, I need to put fuel in my car in order to get around. I happen to like my car, I am not about to trade it in for something else.

Higher gas prices are unavoidable, buying a new bike is completely avoidable.

To bemoan tariffs because people would have to pay more for a non-essential item like a bike is, IMHO, totally disingenuous.
Old 09-04-19, 06:51 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
I don't think anyone will be profitable in this environment. These duties change on a daily basis with no notice...really hard to plan for a future that changes daily. Thankfully I have a teaching appointment to care for my family.

As I mentioned earlier I expect the market to compress ( via insolvencies ). I think euromini is at high risk ( having launched recently ). Bike Friday is always at risk. I love Bike Friday, so I hope they will be ok. Tern has so much drama with the frame debacle, they will always be high risk.

I have positioned us to be viable during a downturn. However we will have a trimmed lineup. I am discontinuing the 8S, 8FS, 8C, mini, and minib. I am considering trimming even more.

Thanks
Yan
The ones you listed as being at” high risk” are really no more vulnerable than any other small manufacturer/importer in today’s globally inter-twined business climate.

Add-in an over-saturation of bike labels, especially in the low-end price point and the law of natural selection will apply...then there’s the whole ebike thing.
Bike makers need to get on that ebike train, or get crushed by it.

Premium, artisanal builders are likely a bit more vulnerable as their market for luxury-price buyers is smaller, so the margin for market bumps becomes smaller. But then they have always been.

Meanwhile Euro Mini (now Zizzo) is expanding their product line, not trimming it and adding additional accessories. Building their brand. They don’t spend much time if any, on bike forums or social media choosing instead to concentrate on their business.

Last edited by FolderBeholder; 09-04-19 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 07:18 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by FolderBeholder

Meanwhile Euro Mini (now Zizzo) is expanding their product line, not trimming it and adding additional accessories. Building their brand. They don’t spend much time if any, on bike forums or social media choosing instead to concentrate on their business.
Let's see how that plays out. My focus is on being a mathematician, I've had the same focus for over a decade. I kinda like the teaching thing.

FYI I am a person not a company. Please understand there is a difference.

Thanks
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.

Last edited by downtube; 09-04-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 07:19 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
With so many (the majority in fact) consumer products coming from China, good luck with that task.
Off the top of my head, and far from an extensive list:

Bernds - Germany
BikeFriday - USA
Brompton - UK
Dahon - Taiwan & Bulgaria
Di Blasi - Italy
Giant - Taiwan
Mobiky - France
Strida - Taiwan

In the USA, consumer confidence is high, unemployment is low, wages are growing vs. inflation and there are lots of folding bikes to choose among.
Likes For tcs:
Old 09-04-19, 08:19 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
bargainguy[/MENTION] I read that BF made Burley trailers in the Eugene factory. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Yan
Have you been to the Eugene HQ? Not a big place, and barely enough room to manufacture and assemble bikes, much less trailers. So I would be very surprised if any trailer manufacture went on there while they were trying to sell bikes to go with them.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 09-04-19, 08:43 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
A bit off topic , but Brompton will have issues that will impact its markets with the Brexit changing its tariff structure.
There was an amusing article on Marketplace on the impact of tariffs on design that explores their influence
https://www.marketplace.org/2019/05/...our-waistline/
It's a complex soup and a cyclical market.
"When the tide goes out, you find out who was swimming naked." Warren Buffet
Old 09-04-19, 09:24 AM
linberl

A sub 20 lbs. e-bike would be amazing. What model of e-bike do you ride linberl?
I have a sub 19 lbs Bike Friday pakiT with a OneMotor system that weighs all of 4.5 lbs. It also swaps onto my Dahon Mu Uno (21 lbs since I replaced that heavy Biologic seat pump post) which I use with my Burley Travoy as my car. Both are so light it's easy to lift and carry them onto Bart when needed. I love those bikes and the OneMotor system; works perfectly for my needs.
Old 09-04-19, 09:54 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Have you been to the Eugene HQ? Not a big place, and barely enough room to manufacture and assemble bikes, much less trailers. So I would be very surprised if any trailer manufacture went on there while they were trying to sell bikes to go with them.
I have never visited. However BF & Burley were started by the same person in Eugene, OR.

Does anyone know if they were manufactured at the same place?

Thanks
Yan

Last edited by downtube; 09-04-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 10:11 AM
edwong3

One word...NICE!

I am going to take a look at those "OneMotor" systems. I am thinking that my next acquisition is going to be an e-bike but am looking at models that come that way from the factory, but I am very curious about conversions too.

Thanks for replying.

I have a sub 19 lbs Bike Friday pakiT with a OneMotor system that weighs all of 4.5 lbs. It also swaps onto my Dahon Mu Uno (21 lbs since I replaced that heavy Biologic seat pump post) which I use with my Burley Travoy as my car. Both are so light it's easy to lift and carry them onto Bart when needed. I love those bikes and the OneMotor system; works perfectly for my needs.
Old 09-04-19, 10:12 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by tcs

In the USA, consumer confidence is high, unemployment is low, wages are growing vs. inflation and there are lots of folding bikes to choose among.
Your statement is true. However bicycle sales have dropped double digits in the USA for two years ( quantity sold ). That was before the trade war stuff.

Everyone I know in the industry has experienced a dramatic sales drop. I personally know of recent layoffs. Mavic's parent just bought a bunch of bike brands for $1 ( including Diamondback & Redline ) plus sales incentives. They will have the option to buy Raleigh distribution rights in the future. Companies are not sold for $1 in a strong market.

My company survived the last downturn, and I expect we will do well in the current cycle.

Thanks
Yan
Old 09-04-19, 11:02 AM
linberl

One word...NICE!

I am going to take a look at those "OneMotor" systems. I am thinking that my next acquisition is going to be an e-bike but am looking at models that come that way from the factory, but I am very curious about conversions too.

Thanks for replying.
You can read my extensive reviewing here: https://electricbikereview.com/forum...eroller.28504/
Old 09-04-19, 03:01 PM
edwong3

I read your review and watched the brief video. I also visited "OneMotor's" website earlier. Seems like a simple, quick and straightforward way to electrify almost any cycle or even some scooters.

I do admit it is a bit pricey for my blood but no more than the now defunct "Bionix" which was at one time the premier electric drive system. This OneMotor system is cleaner and much quicker installation though so there is progress.

Exiting times ahead...

You can read my extensive reviewing here: https://electricbikereview.com/forum...eroller.28504/
Old 09-04-19, 04:08 PM
linberl

I read your review and watched the brief video. I also visited "OneMotor's" website earlier. Seems like a simple, quick and straightforward way to electrify almost any cycle or even some scooters.

I do admit it is a bit pricey for my blood but no more than the now defunct "Bionix" which was at one time the premier electric drive system. This OneMotor system is cleaner and much quicker installation though so there is progress.

Exiting times ahead...
Yes, it's not cheap but I use it on two different bikes so it's very affordable if you use multiple. Two cheap kits would easily cost me that much or more. And I'd be stuck with added weight always.
Old 09-04-19, 07:38 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
In the USA, consumer confidence is high, unemployment is low, wages are growing vs. inflation,...

Old 09-04-19, 10:44 PM
linberl

I have never visited. However BF & Burley were started by the same person in Eugene, OR.

Does anyone know if they were manufactured at the same place?

Thanks
Yan
https://bikeportland.org/2017/11/22/...railers-256287

Burley & BF were in separate buildings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.