Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Catching plastic bags

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Catching plastic bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 01:08 PM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Catching plastic bags

I stared commuting in September and never ran into this. Yesterday it happened twice. The wind blew trash plastic bags into my wheels. Gave it a bit to see if they'd work out, but no, they were in there good. Had to stop and pull them out. The second time it happened they wrapped around my brake calipers and I had some trouble stopping. Nothing dangerous, just an "oh wow" moment.
Old 03-23-17, 01:13 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I've seen plastic bags around, but have always managed to avoid them.
Old 03-23-17, 01:19 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Yes, it's a common problem when riding on littered urban streets. Try to avoid them, but don't try so hard that you risk more serious problems, like veering into traffic.

As I said, it's common, and soon enough one will get snagged by your chain and jam the RD. If so, be ready to stop, because trying to pedal with a bag jammed into the RD can tear it off.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-23-17, 01:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
another good reason to ban them
Old 03-23-17, 02:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
As I said, it's common, and soon enough one will get snagged by your chain and jam the RD. If so, be ready to stop, because trying to pedal with a bag jammed into the RD can tear it off.
This has happened to me but if I remember right, I managed to avoid the damage. The potential is pretty bad. I don't think I even saw the bag coming. I felt my drivetrain give resistance, so I stopped and saw what was happening.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-23-17, 02:40 PM
Wharf Rat

Bikes: Miyata 610, Miyata 710, Cannondale SM500

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Yea it's in a littered urban area. Add in the 25+ mph winds and I had no chance to avoid them. They were dancing all over in the wind. I just felt like a magnet. Thanks for the heads up about the rear derailleur, being a blockhead, I just might've tried to pedal it through.
Old 03-23-17, 04:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Happened to me once, a couple of months ago when a cold front suddenly blew in, just as I approached an intersection. I was looking around for traffic and didn't noticed the bag catch in my rear derailer until I was four lanes into a six lane boulevard, then I couldn't pedal but could still coast. Fortunately there was no traffic.

I checked my video later and could see a gust of wind blow the bag toward me from the right. Happened just as I was looking to my left for traffic. I was coming from a sheltered residential street with little wind, and approaching a wide intersection with heavier wind gusts.

I try to be more conscious of this stuff but it's difficult when there are so many things competing for our attention. Occasionally I'll review my mundane ride videos before deleting them just to see if I could have done something better or different when minor incidents occur: debris blowing across the road; vehicles that seem to dart out in front of me. Usually there doesn't appear to be anything I could have done differently. On windy days (including this entire week) there's a lot of stuff blowing around, often from different directions. And with vehicle close calls it's usually jackass drivers. Can't do much more about them than I'm already doing. Just ride with eyes on stalks and head on a swivel.
Old 03-24-17, 02:16 PM
Mauriceloridans

Bikes: 1983 Trek 520, early 80's Univega Gran Tourismo, '98 Santana Arriva, '71 Dawes Galaxy, '77 Peugeot UO10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tangent note but I actually try to snag the plastic bag with my foot as I ride by and then hand grab it and dunk it in the nearest trash bin. Sometimes it works kind like a dance and I've gotten applause from the pedestrians.