Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Direct Drive Hub Motors

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Direct Drive Hub Motors

Old 07-22-19, 10:25 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Direct Drive Hub Motors

Just wanted to share my experience with Chinese direct drive hub motors. Four years ago I purchased a 1000w, 48V rear hub kit from YESCOM, attached it to a Schwinn frame and have been operating it with a 52V, 10 ah battery for errands. Recently, I purchased a 1200w, 48V front hub kit from ebikeling, assembled it to a Bikes Direct three-speed cruiser and

have been testing for several weeks. Both had motors that weighed about 12 pounds, went together easily, have been problem-free, have a top speed of about 33 mph (using a GPS oriented speedometer) and are relatively quiet, but not silent. I've needed to tighten the spokes twice in four years on the YESCOM, but not at all on the ebikeling. Just reporting this in order to assuage fears about the quality of these systems.
Old 07-27-19, 08:42 AM
Timjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where are the brakes for the first bike!

How can yo build an e-bike with such a powerful motor and not have brakes? Even the second bike has rim brakes so I think even though you boast about the speed you can achieve you seem to have forgotten about safety.
Likes For Timjohn:
Old 07-27-19, 09:01 AM
2old

You might be confusing brakes and brains (hint: don't override your brakes). The thread wasn't initiated to discuss brakes, just to let individuals know what to expect with DD motors, heavy wheel, fairly easy assembly, inexpensive, 30 - 35 mph @ 52V and durable. Some users have 20,000 + miles on their systems.

Last edited by 2old; 07-27-19 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-27-19, 09:06 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Sooooo can you actually tell a difference between a 1000w and a 1200w?

I have a feeling after 750, the numbers are just contrived and not a real comparison of what you might get in speed.

I have to rip you along with TimJohn on your lack of brakes. Id like you to stay 2old and not 2dead.

-SP
Old 07-27-19, 11:56 PM
2old

Thanks Speedy; always enjoy your insights and humor, and agree with you on wattage. Speed was reported in order to let individuals know what to expect. I'm 6'1', 180 pounds, on level ground, no wind and didn't get aero, just sat up. I don't ride at top speed often and hope to be around for awhile. Mostly I don't like spaghetti around the handlebars and "design" to have as little as possible.
Old 07-28-19, 04:20 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
How can yo build an e-bike with such a powerful motor and not have brakes? Even the second bike has rim brakes so I think even though you boast about the speed you can achieve you seem to have forgotten about safety.
1000 watt on a direct drive motor is not that powerful. It is likely to overheat going up a long grade. I like direct drive motors for their ability to do regenerative braking. I would need a 2000 watt motor to make it up the hills while pedaling were I live. Many people do this and limit the max speed.
geared hub motors are better for hilly areas but can't do regenerative braking or reverse because of the clutch. There are a couple of new geared hub motors out that can do regenerative braking. The one I am currently looking at has no clutch but uses the motor controller to put a small wattage through the motor.

Last edited by Rick; 07-28-19 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-28-19, 08:30 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Yeah I did a couple of years with a 1.5kw and since Christmas with a 3.0kw.

I can't get 3.0kw with 48v system though, this heavier, wider motor can't really do much more with my 55 amps than the 1.5kw motor was doing (good for over 2kw).

The beefier motors are built for higher voltages, this 3kw nominal is said to produce up to 8kw with up to 120v so I'm going back to the 1.5kw unit as I'm staying at 48v.

True they're bomb-proof, though. I've smashed two rims, like snapped the rim, egg-shaped, bent spokes, when I've misjudged kerb height on two occasions. No problem for the motor.
Also I've ragged it across town averaging 44mph and barely heated the motor up.

The big three Chinese companies have built literally millions of these now, and that's reflected in their development. The quality is no-nonsense old skool bomb-proof.

They just work. And along with the computer, regen, throttle, lock and PAS, all of which I can fine tune to my preference (soft-start etc) my bike is now the perfect tool, perfect weapon you could say, and it just delivers - day after week after month after year.

But shush! These are the glory days, where they're a well-kept secret...
Old 07-28-19, 04:41 PM
2old

1000w (depending on how it's calculated 1560w = 30 amp controller X 52V battery) goes as fast as I need on bicycle parts (except maybe downhill on an MTB), and ascends anything in the "OC" since I don't mind pedaling. Also, I can ride around town on errands without creating trouble for myself.