Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there much difference between Altus & Tourney?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-26-19, 08:29 AM
MTBUK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

So my front mech seems like it no longer wants to play. Regardless of the adjustments from tutorial videos I've seen it will not change gear. I've raised the mech, lowered it, pushed it to the side more, tightened cables etc and no joy. The only thing it will do depending of the position is push the chain onto the 2nd cog (triple front). I'm thinking to just replace the lot with a Tourney or Altus but in not sure if it's going to make any difference with either seeing as it's a Falcon system which I believe is very similar to the Tourney I performance.

https://youtu.be/m3JWI7N1PY8
Old 07-26-19, 11:14 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
A Tourney will be a definite upgrade vs Falcon.

Are you sure it's not the shifter?
Old 07-26-19, 12:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If there's a frayed cable or kinked cable housing, then adjusting the DR won't help at all.

As far as Tourney vs Altus, it's more a feature thing. Altus can get you 9 speeds on the back though if you want that. Not certain, but between the Tourney shifter's and Altus shifters, one might be hold up better when ridden in really dirty riding conditions. But someone that mountain bikes will have to chime in on that.
Old 07-26-19, 03:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Check to be sure the cable is routed correctly and clamped correctly. Makes a difference in shifting, front and rear. The clamp bolts will have a notch that tips us to how the cable should be run and clamped.

If your bike has Shimano RevoShift grip shifters, that's the next thing to check. They're all plastic except for a couple of springs, so the detents that hold the indexing will wear or break within a few years. Not repairable. A replacement set costs about $10-$15. Should include an entry level set of galvanized cables and cable housing to fit a typical hybrid.

Or get the SunRace SLM10 friction thumb shifters for the same money. They'll last for years. Various entry level trigger shifters will cost a little more, maybe $25-$35.

Altus derailleurs are fine. I have a set on my Globe Carmel errand bike. Cheap and functional. Durable too -- I've crashed on the right side a couple of times, no damage to the rear derailleur.
Old 07-27-19, 01:36 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Trying random adjustments or parts swapping is inefficient. I would suggest removing the shift wire from the derailleur and checking, while applying tension by hand, to be certain that the shifter actually pays out and pulls in the wire when commanded. Then check to be certain that the derailleur cam be moved by hand while turning the crank; watch your fingers. Then adjust the derailleur in accordance with this procedure, not skipping any steps: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment