Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Started a cycling club and wanted some opinions from folks here

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 08:11 AM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hi everyone. I started a cycling club here to help build up a community of cyclist to get fit with like-minded individuals. It's based in NYC and yes, there are many cycling clubs already here Rapha, probably being the most popular I suppose. So far I have 9 members signed up and my ride meets at 7 am with a 7:15 am ride out. First off, I was wondering if 7 am was too early? I sometimes get a few people and other times none. I asked one of the members if 7 am was too early and he said not for him. So I'm not sure yet, but I was thinking of moving it to 8 am. As for the ride itself, it is 30 miles total, 1 hour 45min and a total of 2000ft of climbing with rolling hills. It's a challenging ride but scenic once outside the city. It's also a common route called River Road. Anyway, if anyone is down to ride and build a community with me on this let me know. Would also appreciate your feedback on the start times.
Old 09-09-19, 08:17 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Congrats on the club. Getting the club going is 80% of the work... it'll take some effort to keep it going, but you'll have help with that.

I actually think 7am is late. During the week, my club rolls off at 6am. The reason is twofold: 1. Finish before the floodgates of traffic open. 2. Get a ride in before work/kid duties.

We have a 20-mile loop. The reason for the short(ish) loop is tied to #1 and #2 - to be finished by 7am.

So now, the only obstacle in the way of riding with us is that 5:15 alarm.
Old 09-09-19, 08:30 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I used to belong to a club that had hundreds of members. Some of the rides a good turn out would be 15-20 people. It just depends on the time of the year.

For a small group, they key to getting bigger would be consistency. If you keep the time at 7:00, you’ll start attracting more and more people that want to ride at that time. Just give it some time.
Old 09-09-19, 08:38 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
I say it depends at what time you usually wake up in the morning. On my side, going for a ride at 0700 is nice.

I like early rides because of the following facts :

1) I usually get up early
2) Less imbeciles on the road at this time
2) Colder/nicer weather
3) Doesn't step over your day (I like to optimize my free-time whenever I'm not working...)
Old 09-09-19, 08:42 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Our club ride starts at 7am, and we ride the same loop most weeks. In the height of summer, 150+ people will be rolling out. In winter, between 50-100 depending on weather. Give it time, it will take off
Old 09-09-19, 08:44 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Our club always starts at 8:00, every Saturday and Sunday. Unofficial rides happen Monday thru Thursday, also at 8:00.
Old 09-09-19, 10:25 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Our club, Narragansett Bay Wheelmen, has been in operation since about 1895 or so. Our area has many quiet country roads extending to all of Rhode Island and coastal Massachusetts to Plymouth, Mass. The club has in the neighborhood of 1000 members plus or minus 150. There are typically, at 10 AM on Sunday, 80 or more riders on summer rides and maybe half that on winter rides. The result of the riding area and the number of riders is that the club offers three distances, for example, 35, 55, and 75 miles and all fitness levels can find a ride and riders of similar abilities. During the summer, about once a month there is a century ride as well as the shorter distances and sporadically, a double century. There are other ad hoc mid week rides and a Saturday cafe' ride on the bike path.

On the long rides, everyone starts out at the same time with fast riders in the lead so that riders are soon spread out causing minimal interaction with motor traffic. As a consequence of the varying distances and speeds, we all finish within about 1/2 hour. We then mill about and chat for the next hour.

During summer months, one very experienced couple, will lead several newbie rides on different Sundays, on very flat roads, where there are frequent stops to explain various aspects to riding safely in in traffic.

We are lucky, I think,, to have such a large number of very suitable roads to ride and a civilized environment where motorists show consideration.
Likes For berner:
Old 09-09-19, 01:34 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I've got five or ten guys that show up for mid week rides at 6:30 a.m. (we all work),
and weekend rides at 7:30 a.m.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-09-19, 01:52 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
7AM for a weekend ride seems early to me but it doesn't get super hot here so no need to beat the heat. We leave at 8 in the summer and switch to 9AM around now.
Old 09-09-19, 02:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I wish that I could get the guys to ride at 7am. My family (wife, two young kids) are generally slow to get moving on weekend mornings, so I like getting in a ride while they're still getting up to speed and having them ready for the day when I get back.

The flip side is that the other guys don't really have much better to do, so they'd rather sleep in and ride when it's a little warmer (except in the middle of the summer), so they favor a 9am start.

Long story short, I guess it really depends on the composition of your group.
Old 09-09-19, 02:14 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Originally Posted by rivers
Our club ride starts at 7 am, and we ride the same loop most weeks. In the height of summer, 150+ people will be rolling out. In winter, between 50-100 depending on the weather. Give it time, it will take off
Thanks. Yeah, I'm an early bird and 7 am works perfectly. Sometimes I'm beat but I suck it up with a shot of home-brewed black coffee. My goal is to build more community around what I'm doing and get more people on the ride. Ultimately training throughout the fall/ winter and continue into race season to get people confident. I also want to host cycling-related events at my local cafe who will be down to give space.
Old 09-09-19, 02:16 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I wish that I could get the guys to ride at 7am. My family (wife, two young kids) are generally slow to get moving on weekend mornings, so I like getting in a ride while they're still getting up to speed and having them ready for the day when I get back.

The flip side is that the other guys don't really have much better to do, so they'd rather sleep in and ride when it's a little warmer (except in the middle of the summer), so they favor a 9am start.

Long story short, I guess it really depends on the composition of your group.
Thanks... yeah I feel as though 7am is perfect. Plus I have more time afterwards to work/ enjoy the weekend.
Old 09-09-19, 02:21 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Originally Posted by Zaskar
Congrats on the club. Getting the club going is 80% of the work... it'll take some effort to keep it going, but you'll have help with that.

I actually think 7am is late. During the week, my club rolls off at 6am. The reason is twofold: 1. Finish before the floodgates of traffic open. 2. Get a ride in before work/kid duties.

We have a 20-mile loop. The reason for the short(ish) loop is tied to #1 and #2 - to be finished by 7am.

So now, the only obstacle in the way of riding with us is that 5:15 alarm.
An older club ride I was on started at 7am so I'm trained for that time and adapted it to my ride. It's finished at 9am and then we can all go for coffee or people can just leave. Enough time to do what you gotta do for the rest of the morning and day as well.

Still trying to promote it as much as possible. Race season is over here so fall is perfect for training. Really hoping more people sign up. I had one guy last week say that he hasn't been pushed like this in a long time on his bike and enjoyed it.
Old 09-09-19, 07:22 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I think 7:00am is too early.
I personally have no problem with it but if you are looking to appeal to more riders and increase membership I would move it to 8:00.
7:00 makes it tough to do anything other than wake up and immediately get into ride mode. Especially if you have to drive any distance to the start site.
Most people have a bit of a morning routine and the extra hour allows for that imo.
Your route is relatively short so still leaves plenty of day after the finish.
Old 09-09-19, 08:04 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Yes 0700hrs is way too early unless you are riding an imperial century.

Our roll time is 0800hrs in the summer for up to a metric century. 0900hrs roll in the winter (because of light).

The problem with a 0700hrs roll time is people who may not live in the immediate area that may need to travel. So that’s a 0645hr show time, back off travel time with buffer for traffic, back off prep and load time, back off wake up and coffee, maybe something to eat, and now you have people needing to get up around 0445hrs-0500hrs to make a short ride. Not everyone is an early bird. Move it to 0800hrs and see what happens.
Old 09-10-19, 02:52 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hi everyone. I started a cycling club here to help build up a community of cyclist to get fit with like-minded individuals. It's based in NYC and yes, there are many cycling clubs already here Rapha, probably being the most popular I suppose. So far I have 9 members signed up and my ride meets at 7 am with a 7:15 am ride out. First off, I was wondering if 7 am was too early? I sometimes get a few people and other times none. I asked one of the members if 7 am was too early and he said not for him. So I'm not sure yet, but I was thinking of moving it to 8 am. As for the ride itself, it is 30 miles total, 1 hour 45min and a total of 2000ft of climbing with rolling hills. It's a challenging ride but scenic once outside the city. It's also a common route called River Road. Anyway, if anyone is down to ride and build a community with me on this let me know. Would also appreciate your feedback on the start times.

What are you doing for insurance?

And yes, 7 am is way too early for a 30 mile ride. 10 am would be more reasonable.
Likes For Machka:
Old 09-10-19, 04:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi everyone. I started a cycling club here to help build up a community of cyclist to get fit with like-minded individuals….

First off, I was wondering if 7 am was too early? I sometimes get a few people and other times none.
Originally Posted by Machka
What are you doing for insurance?

And yes, 7 am is way too early for a 30 mile ride. 10 am would be more reasonable.
I have previously posted to a few similar threads:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Captain Bringdown replying here, as I do to other threads of a similar nature, about the question of LIABILITY for the other riders.

For example:
…I’m a decades long cycling enthusiast …and I was once hit from behind by a distracted driver on a safe residential street, and off work for three months.

For a few years I have participated in various informal Annual Fifty-Plus Forum “Fun” Rides held around the country. These Rides are almost always held in conjunction with an organized Ride sponsored by a formal, structured bicycle club or other such group, with a insurance indemnification, and requiring a waiver to participate….

Your group seems to be heading towards an identifiable structure with… scheduled rides, and inviting new (and less-skilled) cyclists on an organized activity. Perhaps I’m overstating your situation, but have you considered liability issues of such an activity? I’m not a lawyer, but am in a high risk profession for lawsuits.

Along this line, besides legal liability there certainly would be a guilt trip if someone on a ride promoted by you would be injured.
The first of these several Fifty-Plus Annual Rides was actually one organized by a BF member by himself, @DnvrFox who soon realized these liability issues.
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Having personally been involved in 2 lawsuits - once when my company was sued due to an injury to a client, and once when my son was tha plaintiff due to his devastating injury. Believe me, it is NOT pleasant on either side, and consumes tremendous amounts of energy, effort and money.

I believe that our proposed 50+ annual ride in Glenwood next year has progressed beyond a simple gathering together into a more formal "ride."

I.e.,

1. We have labeled it publicly as a "ride."

2. I have specifically designated a ride route(s).

3. We have a specific time.

4. I have advertised it widely on BFN 50+. and I believe that other folks have advertised it in other venues, in one way or another.

A usual response to this kind of issue is, "Oh, we are all friends, and no one would EVER sue if they were injured."

WRONG

The problem is, the costs involved in rehabilitiation and medical care are SO HUGE that a person suffering an injury really has NO CHOICE in the matter.

Unless they are independently wealthy, or have the world's best insurance, they MUST seek funds from other sources. Take an uninsured emergency room visit. Costs for one day are generally about $12,000.00.

Liability insurance has a 2 fold aspect. One, it protects the person(s) sponsoring the event; and two, it helps assure that the person injured by someone else's supposed negligence can be treated and cared for…

Waivers, if carefully and appropriately written, can be helpful, but no waiver will excuse proven negligent behavior on the part of others...

This is not a pleasant topic, but it is one that must be approached…
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Even if NOT liable, the costs of defending one's self are tremendous. Liability can only be determined by a court. An entity does not have to be liable to be sued.

But, they still must bear the costs of defending against the suit, unless proven that the suit is frivolous ...
Just sayin'

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-10-19 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 05:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
An older club ride I was on started at 7am so I'm trained for that time and adapted it to my ride. It's finished at 9am and then we can all go for coffee or people can just leave. Enough time to do what you gotta do for the rest of the morning and day as well.

Still trying to promote it as much as possible. Race season is over here so fall is perfect for training. Really hoping more people sign up. I had one guy last week say that he hasn't been pushed like this in a long time on his bike and enjoyed it.
Out of curiosity, why do you want to do your own club? Ie. why not just join the existing huge NYCC club, and just post your own weekly ride that you lead? In that way you get all of their infrastructure and insurance, etc.
Old 09-10-19, 05:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Out of curiosity, why do you want to do your own club? Ie. why not just join the existing huge NYCC club, and just post your own weekly ride that you lead? In that way you get all of their infrastructure and insurance, etc.

Right ... I would NEVER want to start my own club. I don't have that much nerve or money.

It can be nerve wracking just organising and supporting rides, and I've got 9 or 10 of them on the schedule over the coming year.
Old 09-10-19, 05:27 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi everyone. I started a cycling club here to help build up a community of cyclist to get fit with like-minded individuals.
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Out of curiosity, why do you want to do your own club? Ie. why not just join the existing huge NYCC club, and just post your own weekly ride that you lead?

In that way you get all of their infrastructure and insurance, etc.
Originally Posted by Machka
Right ... I would NEVER want to start my own club. I don't have that much nerve or money.

It can be nerve wracking just organising and supporting rides. I've got 9 or 10 of them to organise on the schedule over the coming year.
FWIW, I previously described
… For a few years I have participated in various informal Annual Fifty-Plus Forum “Fun” Rides held around the country. These Rides are almost always held in conjunction with an organized Ride sponsored by a formal, structured bicycle club or other such group, with a insurance indemnification, and requiring a waiver to participate…. .
The concept of a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride began with the first in 2009 prompted by @DnvrFox and a gathering of 50+ cyclists in Colorado to ride various routes.

@tsl suggested Watkins Glen for a second one. IMO that boosted the idea for subsequent Rides. Watkins Glen was an organized weekend event held at a campground, so we were all together to socialize and ride supported routes.

Subsequently, a Fifty-Plus subscriber would start a thread, and various others would make their suggestions for geographically varied events. Usually one site emerged as the One. Many more subscribers expressed interest than eventually showed up.

Furthermore, we all stayed at different locations by our own arrangements, but tried to meet up socially before or after the Ride, all as described in Chronicles of the Annual 50+ Rides (link).
Obviously this was a periodic event, but was easy to organize and was a motivation to train.

Likely there are local organized club rides that an informal group of "like-minded indivduals" could glom onto by mutual agreement.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-10-19 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 07:49 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Look into waivers, paper/electronic.....whatever. Email another local club and ask for where they got theirs from. If serious enough, file them under an LLC for the club so that you're not the target of anything legal.

I even wonder about the logistics of Facebook groups. I stopped posting to my Time Trial group for fear someone would eventually eat **** and come for me. It's now just more of a place I cross-post already official group rides/events instead to spread information easier.
Old 09-13-19, 02:49 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is an accurate description of me, except we added a 3rd kid early this year.

And the Mrs doesn't like me riding alone.

A friend has tried to get me to join his midweek 7am ride, except I work at 8 and their loop is an hour.
Old 09-13-19, 04:53 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Look into waivers, paper/electronic.....whatever. Email another local club and ask for where they got theirs from. If serious enough, file them under an LLC for the club so that you're not the target of anything legal.

I even wonder about the logistics of Facebook groups. I stopped posting to my Time Trial group for fear someone would eventually eat **** and come for me. It's now just more of a place I cross-post already official group rides/events instead to spread information easier.
This is interesting.
Who would possibly come after you and why?
Old 09-13-19, 04:55 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Why not try a few different start times for different days of the week? You could appeal to more potential riders that way.
Old 09-13-19, 05:53 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Your decision, but I agree with other posters who suggested you may want to go with an existing club and be a ride leader for your 7AM ride. No need to re-invent the wheel, so to speak.

You are going to get opinions all over the place about whether 7AM is too early or too late, so people who WANT 7AM will come. Consider a later start in the cooler weather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.