Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Assos' version of "customer service"

Old 09-09-19, 09:17 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,825 Times in 4,621 Posts
Assos' version of "customer service"

Just venting here, but perhaps it will inform someone else's decision.

Part of the reason for buying an expensive jersey is for the customer service, if needed -- at least, that's how I justify buying brands like Assos and Rapha.

Recently bought a new Assos jersey, and six weeks later took a little spill which tore a large hole in the shoulder. Since they have a crash repair program, I sent a customer service request through the US website -- which is where I had purchased the jersey.

Didn't hear anything back for a week. Sent an email to an address I found for them - no reply. Called a phone number that I scrounged up on the 'net - a fax machine picked up and started bleating at me. Sent a DM through their Instagram page - no reply.

Finally did the online chat through the main (Swiss-based) site. Person sent my request to someone else, and never offered an apology for the lapse until I pointed out that it would be good form to do so. And if I have to ask for an apology, it's meaningless.

I eventually did receive an email requesting a photo of the damage and copy of the receipt; I sent both and received the response that "Unfortunately the item cannot be fixed because too damaged." No offer of replacement, or replacement at a discounted price, etc.

This was not the first Assos jersey I've purchased, but it is the last.
Old 09-09-19, 09:41 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Their 'Crash Policy' is clearly stated on their website:
You have bought an ASSOS article, and on one of the first rides with it you crash and damage it... Don't get desperate, we will help you! Within one year from purchase, if it can be repaired, we will do so, and it will be free of charge (with the exception of damages to inserts and lenses).

What made you think they would replace it? I've damaged a number of jerseys/shorts over the years in crashes and it never occurred to me that a manufacturer would be responsible.
Old 09-09-19, 09:54 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,825 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83

What made you think they would replace it? I've damaged a number of jerseys/shorts over the years in crashes and it never occurred to me that a manufacturer would be responsible.
Greg-

Agreed on the replacement.

I would be a bit happier with Assos if (1) I hadn't had to try several means to get a response from them after sending in a request through their "customer service" page, or at least (2) the CS person would have offered an apology for the aforementioned hassle, or (3) they had not ultimately (later) bothered to offer me a discount on a new jersey which would bring its price down to, umm, the current sale price.

All in all, it left a bad taste in my mouth. With Rapha (to name another high-end cycling apparel brand), I can call up and speak to a human being quite easily, if necessary.

Last edited by Koyote; 09-09-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 03:48 AM
shuilong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83

What made him think that? The policy you quoted says they will repair it. They completely replaced my shorts without issue after a crash at my first race of the season. Assos is well known for their crash repair/replacement, you're essentially paying for insurance when buying one of their shorts. I bought out of season shorts at a slight discount and still had them replaced, with an offer to upgrade at no additional cost if they did not have my shorts in stock. Reading this issue is actually a big surprise. I would try contacting the main website again and show them the response you were given, the US department is very new.

Last edited by shuilong; 02-18-20 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Changed a word