Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 10:30 AM
saharvey2
Custom User Title :-)

Bikes: 82 SR Semi-Pro Touring, 84 Santana ATB Tandem, 96 Voodoo Erzulie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm Stuart. I live in Fullerton, work in Seal Beach and commute by bike several days a week. Most of my mileage is put in riding up and down Coyote Creek.

Occasionally I do organized rides (Amtrak Century, Fiesta 150). Here is my picture (proof) from the 2006 Amtrak Century. I'm riding my new stead, a Surly LHT.
[ reproduced here with permission from Rich's Photographic Service]

Here is a map of my commute.

Old 09-13-06, 11:21 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Hey Stuart....I've got a Long Haul Trucker too! A great workhorse....
Old 09-13-06, 02:52 PM
heresy

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, Orbea Orca SLT, Orbea Mitis, Specialized Allez SE

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am Chris. I live in Pasadena and work downtown.

I try to get to the Rose Bowl a couple afternoons per week (work permitting). My weekend ride is either through the San Gabriel Valley to the river bike path or around Griffith Park and up into the San Fernando Valley.

I am originally from San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos). I get down there a weekend or two per month to see my parents and girlfriend, and bring the bike along (of course). I usually ride to Coast Hwy and up to Carlsbad when I am in town.

I am the one on a bright orange Orbea, wearing a beer jersey (I have about a dozen different beer jerseys).
Old 09-13-06, 03:27 PM
BigSean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heresy

I try to get to the Rose Bowl a couple afternoons per week (work permitting). My weekend ride is either through the San Gabriel Valley to the river bike path or around Griffith Park and up into the San Fernando Valley.

I am originally from San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos). I get down there a weekend or two per month to see my parents and girlfriend, and bring the bike along (of course). I usually ride to Coast Hwy and up to Carlsbad when I am in town.

I am the one on a bright orange Orbea, wearing a beer jersey (I have about a dozen different beer jerseys).

Stone Brewing Rocks- well it Ruinates anyway!
Old 09-13-06, 11:59 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Hey Everyone. I'm Chris and I live in Highland (which is right next to Redlands...a more recognisable cycling city) and have been cycling for a little over a year. I'm 34 years old and usually ride alone, or with my wife on the weekends.

I work in the IT industry maintaining the county 911, dispatch, and law enforcement systems. I really like it but I dont like being on call. I also attend the University of Redlands full time.

My favorite ride is up Devils Canyon. Devils Canyon is what road cycling should be. My wife and I usually ride SART on the weekends. I also spin 2 nights a week with my wife. I'd prefer to ride, but spinning keeps me consistent. I'm also with 15 miles from the 18, 38 (Onyx Summit), and Oak Glen. I live in a climbers paradise.

On a good week I go about 125 a week and on a bad week a goose egg. I know its sacrelige not to ride for a whole week but certain weeks (class finals, on call) it is hard to put in miles.
Hi, Chris. Do I know you? You ever do the Tuesday night Sunset ride in Redlands, Thursday crit practice or the Raincross ride on Saturday mornings (That's actually a Riverside ride, but a group of us usually ride over there from Redlands.)?

I can only think of two local riders, that I know, named Chris. One is a 19 (20?) year-old Cat II racer, aspiring pro, and all around cool kid (From what I've seen anyway.). The other is a Cat III (I think) racer, currently working at one of the LBSs.

I'd never been up Devil's Canyon until about a week ago. I was supposed to go out and do laps up and down it until I'd ridden for 2 hrs., and the Water District rent-a-cop ran me off on my 2nd lap up. That's a good climb, but given that experience I'm not likely to waste another drive out there.

Ever been up Smiley Blvd. on the south side of San Timoteo Canyon road, just west of Allesandro? That's another good climb.

Anyway, guess I should introduce myself, that being the point of the thread and all.

I live in Redlands, ride pretty modest bikes, but ride them quite a bit. I have a '99 Specialized Allez Comp road bike, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, IRO Jamie Roy fixed-gear commuter, and an old Nishiki road bike that I stripped down, gave a ratttle-can, flat-black paintjob and converted to fixed gear. I get more positive comments on the beater fixed-gear than any bike I've ever owned, and I probably spent a grand total of $300 putting it together. Most of that was spent on the wheels (Mavic Open pros laced to IRO hubs. Built 'em myself and they haven't fallen apart yet. Woo!).

I work, as a programmer, at a small software company located in San Bernardino. I was commuting quite regularly for the past couple years, until this past season when I decided to get a bit more serious about my race-training. A commute doesn't always fit into a training-plan. I look forward to, hopefully getting back on the fixed-gear for the winter commute. We'll see what my coach says about that. It's been languishing in the garage while I've been putting training-miles in on the geared roadie.

Other than the local roadie group rides, and boring training loops, my favorite local rides are mostly dirt. Santa Ana River Trail (The one in the mountains, not the paved one down by the beach. Though that's fun every once in a while too.), Crafton Hills, Morton Peak (which I've heard from people who've ridden it recenlty is *great* right now 'cause the recent fire took out all the nasty brush that's usually overgrowing the trail up there.), etc.

If I'm out on the road bike you might find me on Oak Glen road, Hwy 38, San Timoteo Canyon, Lambs Canyon, or suffering while trying to hang with the lead group on the local roadie training rides.
Old 09-14-06, 12:24 AM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Magical Trevor

Everyone loves Magical Trevor,
'cos the tricks that he does are ever so clever,
Look at him now, disappearing the cow,
Where is the cow, hidden right now?

Taking a bow, it's Magical Trevor,
Everybody's seen that the trick is clever,
Look at him there, with his leathery, leathery whip,
It's made of magic, and with a little flick,

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the cow is back,
Yeah, yeah, yeah, the cow is back,
Back back, back from his magical journey.

What did he see, in the parallel dimension?
He saw beans, lots of beans, lots of beans, lots of beans,
Oh, beans lots of beans, lots of beans, lots of beans, yeah yeah...

Wheels Rolling
Old 09-14-06, 01:00 AM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brandy dont talk about beans
Old 09-14-06, 01:30 AM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another Chris

I live in Altadena and ride to work and back (5 miles each way) on days that I don't have a carpool that goes down to Carson to train at the track at the ADT event center (see the link in my sig). Tuesdays (and lately thursdays, too) I go down to ADT to do interval training. On weekends I usually race on saturdays during the summer, at either the encino velodrome or ADT, but I did a couple crits this summer, too, and some track races in colorado springs and san diego.

Sundays if I'm really fried or it's unbearably hot or smoggy or rainy out I'll sometimes go down to ADT (always 70F, 50% humidity, with a nice PA) and ride tempo or just mess around. If it's nice I'll pedal out to GMR (usually by myself) and go up, usually just to the GRR intersection, then come down via east fork to 39 and back. This summer I also did some high elevation hikes on really hot days (starting at 6800' and above), and it was really nice. Sometimes I drive out to GMR and pedal all the way up-- it's just a lot of time to pedal out, ride all the way up, and pedal home.
Old 09-14-06, 08:24 AM
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's your last name, Chris...did you go to Mt. Carmel? (RBHS, '92) - went to MC for two years: 89/90
Old 09-14-06, 09:09 AM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
My wife and I usually ride SART on the weekends.
My cousin lives in Highland and my wife lived in Redlands before we wed and I convinced her to move to the more sensible O.C. :-)

You come from Highland to the SART every weekend? The SART is cool and all, but aren't there more local trails of a similar quality? I mean, that's quite a hike, idn't it?
Old 09-14-06, 02:23 PM
heresy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry Trevor. Not me.

Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
Hi, Chris. Do I know you? You ever do the Tuesday night Sunset ride in Redlands, Thursday crit practice or the Raincross ride on Saturday mornings (That's actually a Riverside ride, but a group of us usually ride over there from Redlands.)?

I can only think of two local riders, that I know, named Chris. One is a 19 (20?) year-old Cat II racer, aspiring pro, and all around cool kid (From what I've seen anyway.). The other is a Cat III (I think) racer, currently working at one of the LBSs.

I'd never been up Devil's Canyon until about a week ago. I was supposed to go out and do laps up and down it until I'd ridden for 2 hrs., and the Water District rent-a-cop ran me off on my 2nd lap up. That's a good climb, but given that experience I'm not likely to waste another drive out there.

Ever been up Smiley Blvd. on the south side of San Timoteo Canyon road, just west of Allesandro? That's another good climb.

Anyway, guess I should introduce myself, that being the point of the thread and all.

I live in Redlands, ride pretty modest bikes, but ride them quite a bit. I have a '99 Specialized Allez Comp road bike, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, IRO Jamie Roy fixed-gear commuter, and an old Nishiki road bike that I stripped down, gave a ratttle-can, flat-black paintjob and converted to fixed gear. I get more positive comments on the beater fixed-gear than any bike I've ever owned, and I probably spent a grand total of $300 putting it together. Most of that was spent on the wheels (Mavic Open pros laced to IRO hubs. Built 'em myself and they haven't fallen apart yet. Woo!).

I work, as a programmer, at a small software company located in San Bernardino. I was commuting quite regularly for the past couple years, until this past season when I decided to get a bit more serious about my race-training. A commute doesn't always fit into a training-plan. I look forward to, hopefully getting back on the fixed-gear for the winter commute. We'll see what my coach says about that. It's been languishing in the garage while I've been putting training-miles in on the geared roadie.

Other than the local roadie group rides, and boring training loops, my favorite local rides are mostly dirt. Santa Ana River Trail (The one in the mountains, not the paved one down by the beach. Though that's fun every once in a while too.), Crafton Hills, Morton Peak (which I've heard from people who've ridden it recenlty is *great* right now 'cause the recent fire took out all the nasty brush that's usually overgrowing the trail up there.), etc.

If I'm out on the road bike you might find me on Oak Glen road, Hwy 38, San Timoteo Canyon, Lambs Canyon, or suffering while trying to hang with the lead group on the local roadie training rides.
Old 09-14-06, 02:31 PM
heresy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Harris. I am sure we crossed paths. Mt. Carmel '93.

Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
What's your last name, Chris...did you go to Mt. Carmel? (RBHS, '92) - went to MC for two years: 89/90
Old 09-14-06, 02:37 PM
heresy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Harris. I am sure we crossed paths. Mt. Carmel '93.

Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
Old 09-15-06, 10:47 PM
jonnelrc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I'm jonnel. I have just recently discovered this forum and am glad that it exists. I started cycling only this season and usually ride along santa ana river trail. my work takes me to bakersfield and i have been riding there too. Hope to meet you one of these days on the trail. will post a picture soon
Old 09-15-06, 11:55 PM
misterdna
Member? Can we say that?

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dan. I live and ride in Newport/South OC. CJBruin tuned me in to the forum, and I have done only one BF ride so far - Baldy - and it was awesome. I'm 37, heavier than I should be, but have discovered that I enjoy the pain of climbing. Sick, huh? Plus, sad, because I'm the opposite of a climbing-type body. I met James (Chimivee) the other day, and I think he weighed as much as my left leg. That should be a climber.

I've got a lovely wife (who I can't convince to ride with me, as she thinks it'll giver her a big butt), and three fantastic kids - 9, 6 and 5.

I ride a Cannonball Synapse, because it's light and easy on my back (which is bad). Here's me after an olympic triathlon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olympicoosh.JPG (81.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 09-15-06, 11:57 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry Trevor. Not me.
Actually, that post was in response to another Redlands (I think he said it was Highland, but close enough.) local who had posted in this thread, and introduced himself as Chris.

Don't think I've met him though either, so no worries.

Figured I might as well answer the "who are you? where do you ride?" question in the same post...
Old 09-15-06, 11:58 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misterdna
Dan. I live and ride in Newport/South OC. CJBruin tuned me in to the forum, and I have done only one BF ride so far - Baldy - and it was awesome. I'm 37, heavier than I should be, but have discovered that I enjoy the pain of climbing. Sick, huh? Plus, sad, because I'm the opposite of a climbing-type body. I met James (Chimivee) the other day, and I think he weighed as much as my left leg. That should be a climber.

I've got a lovely wife (who I can't convince to ride with me, as she thinks it'll giver her a big butt), and three fantastic kids - 9, 6 and 5.

I ride a Cannonball Synapse, because it's light and easy on my back (which is bad). Here's me after an olympic triathlon
Introduce her to the Sugar Shorts bunch.
Old 09-15-06, 11:58 PM
misterdna
Member? Can we say that?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voltman
Introduce her to the Sugar Shorts bunch.
Why, good butts?
Old 09-16-06, 12:00 AM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why, good butts?
Ask them for pics.
Old 09-16-06, 12:03 AM
misterdna
Member? Can we say that?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask them for pics.
As in, Hi, ladies, can I have pics of your a$$?

Sounds classy.

And just like me

Who doesn't like a little Sir Mix-a-lot every once in awhile?

Vman, are you going on the Newport ride on Sunday?
Old 09-16-06, 12:04 AM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now you've got it! Actually, I think there are pics on the Tour de Sugar Shorts thread.

I shall be.
Old 09-16-06, 12:05 AM
misterdna
Member? Can we say that?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now you've got it! Actually, I think there are pics on the Tour de Sugar Shorts thread.

I shall be.
Look forward to seeing you, then. We'll talk about the view from the back.

Cheers
Old 09-16-06, 12:29 AM
Tiffanie

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As in, Hi, ladies, can I have pics of your a$$?

Sounds classy.

And just like me

Who doesn't like a little Sir Mix-a-lot every once in awhile?

Vman, are you going on the Newport ride on Sunday?
More in the TdSS Thread

Last edited by Tiffanie; 10-09-06 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 12:30 AM
Tiffanie

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look forward to seeing you, then. We'll talk about the view from the back.

Cheers
You obviously don't know the rule of all men in the front of the pack!!! hmpfh
Old 09-19-06, 10:37 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Who are you? What do you look like? What do you ride? Where do you ride?

Post pics! On the bike, having a margarita, whatever!..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.