Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 03:45 PM
ethan.g75

Bikes: Felt FC 7970, Trek5200 comuterized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no_safe_HAVEN
The rims were 713g for the pair. Not the lightest but had the look i wanted for the build.
Are they... Safe? Maybe I should find a set on ebay just to race on...
Old 11-04-13, 04:00 PM
jkcrowell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Domane 6 Project One, SRAM Red 10 speed. It's a 62cm which explains the proportions. I'm thinking about moving a spacer down. One the fence about cutting steerer in case of resale.

I might take another picture since the perspective on this one is a bit weird (I'm not sure why, either). Great bike, though. Stiff but comfy.

Old 11-04-13, 04:05 PM
no_safe_HAVEN

Bikes: Unknown 531 resto-mod

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are asking if they have a 0% failure rate, then no. But what does? But as they were ridden all through the 80s, yeah id say they are safe. From what I understand there can be issues with stress fractures at the eyelets. So really Im just going to be diligent about inspecting more often.

But for the purposes of only racing, there are lighter choices out there.
Old 11-04-13, 04:28 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by jkcrowell
Trek Domane 6 Project One, SRAM Red 10 speed. It's a 62cm which explains the proportions. I'm thinking about moving a spacer down. One the fence about cutting steerer in case of resale.

I might take another picture since the perspective on this one is a bit weird (I'm not sure why, either). Great bike, though. Stiff but comfy.

Nice bike, I don't like the dimensions, but that's mainly because you are a giant.

I'd cut the steerer tube. The only other people that can ride that bike are Shaq and Yao Ming, and they don't buy used!
Old 11-04-13, 05:42 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I'd cut the steerer tube. The only other people that can ride that bike are Shaq and Yao Ming, and they don't buy used!
I can totally picture Dikembe Mutombo checking for bargains on eBay. Blocking other bidders. "Not in ma house!"
Old 11-04-13, 06:22 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol @ all this basketball talk.
Old 11-04-13, 06:34 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ethan.g75
I have never met anyone who didn't enjoy a black/stealth build; but to each his own.
a) Blacked out/stealth bikes are as common as dirt, and most of them are about that exciting. The vast majority of these bikes are just blending in with the crowd...who cares?

b) kcollier5 nailed it both times- it's a perfectly nice bike, but there's no personality to it, nothing that yells "I wanna go fast!" a la Ricky Bobby and no parts that look like they could've been sourced from NASA. That leaves it far from hot, which makes me sad as a fellow Felt owner You'd be well served to take a play out of the Cannondale playbook, following incredibleting and bianchi10's lead, and going black and white instead of the assorted greys/silvers...or leave it alone and ride it!
Old 11-04-13, 06:55 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Black and white bikes are even more common than dirt, if you truly want to blend in with the crowd, then go for it...

To the point, the Felt is set up nicely, overall not bad but not overly hot IMO
Old 11-04-13, 07:31 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Built her up on Saturday, rode my first century on Sunday; hell of a way to break in a new bike! Huzzah!

Edit creds to @Fiery
As others have stated, Its a nice bike for sure. Set up is nice, but doesn't have a REAL aggressive stance to it. I really think that this bike would look better if it was photographed differently. The majority of the bike is stage in the shadows on the garage and those parts look flat. The contrast helps, but the bike doesn't POP. Nice bike and nice parts. Its all perception and personal taste.
Old 11-04-13, 09:15 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Built her up on Saturday, rode my first century on Sunday; hell of a way to break in a new bike! Huzzah!

Edit creds to @Fiery
Super classy and HOTTT
Old 11-05-13, 08:10 AM
Grambo

Bikes: IF Ti Crown Jewel, Moots Mooto X RSL 29er, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Lynskey Pro Cross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no_safe_HAVEN
Bit of a classic feel going on around here. Just finished my resto-mod this weekend. Vintage Reynolds 531 frame and Mavic GL330s, the rest is all modern. Even had some fun with the custom paint.
Weighed in at only 7.445kg (16lb 6.6oz.)

I really like the look of this build. The grey, gold, black color scheme with red accents works well. Nice change of pace vs. all the CF rigs posted here. Hot!
Old 11-05-13, 08:19 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grambo
I really like the look of this build. The grey, gold, black color scheme with red accents works well. Nice change of pace vs. all the CF rigs posted here. Hot!
+1! Really like it HOT
Old 11-05-13, 10:00 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
As others have stated, Its a nice bike for sure. Set up is nice, but doesn't have a REAL aggressive stance to it. I really think that this bike would look better if it was photographed differently. The majority of the bike is stage in the shadows on the garage and those parts look flat. The contrast helps, but the bike doesn't POP. Nice bike and nice parts. Its all perception and personal taste.
I agree with bianchi10 here. Especially with flat black paint schemes, you need better lighting for it to stand out more. For a more personal touch, zipp cages would help my love for the bike more.
Cheers
Old 11-05-13, 12:57 PM
kcollier5

Bikes: Felt F2

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkcrowell
I like it. I'm not sure it's possible for a 62 bike to be hot. And I'm a tall guy too (ride a 60) so I feel your pain. It's sort of like shoes, when you look at the size 9 shoe on the rack, it looks great, then you pull out your size and they look like skis, not nearly as attractive...

However, as large bikes go, and as Treks go, it's a good looking build. I actually like the minute red accents, yep, cut the steerer, and it's about as hot as it's gonna get...
Old 11-05-13, 12:59 PM
cleansheet

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcollier5
I ride a Felt, so I'm partial to them… but this one is putting me to sleep… it's just boring, imo. There's no snap, pizzazz, it's not murdered, it's already dead, cold and lifeless in the grave.

JUST kidding, ok, it's not that bad, but needs some help. I don't know, maybe some wheels or maybe some color somewhere? Would help it immensely, I would think.
How about some streamers off the handlebars?
Old 11-05-13, 01:27 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kcollier5
I like it. I'm not sure it's possible for a 62 bike to be hot. And I'm a tall guy too (ride a 60) so I feel your pain. It's sort of like shoes, when you look at the size 9 shoe on the rack, it looks great, then you pull out your size and they look like skis, not nearly as attractive...
Size 13 behemoths over here so I know all about that
Old 11-05-13, 02:48 PM
jkcrowell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Size 13 behemoths over here so I know all about that
Try being a size 14. Changes the whole shoe landscape. EVERYONE makes a 13 (48). Hardly anyone makes a 14 (49) or larger.

And I agree 100% about bike proportions. My wife is building up a bike and that thing will probably look awesome since it's a 50cm.
Old 11-05-13, 02:51 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that the hottest bike size is 54cm
Old 11-05-13, 03:56 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 11-05-13, 04:16 PM
mikhalit

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not going for "hot", just an example of a 66cm frame.. I think it's one of those rare cases when aluminium tubes look right. Not too thin, not too massive.
Yes, I wear US 16.

My first road bike, low budget build. That bottle holder was there just for the first ride.

Last edited by mikhalit; 11-05-13 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-05-13, 04:49 PM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fiery
The picture is a bit too washed out. Some added contrast helps it pop:

It's a hot bike but I think it needs more (glossy) black parts to tie it all together. Brakes, crankset, rear derailleur, the little things.
i think this bike is HOT as it stands. in a understated way. i like the full ultegra group and wheelset.
also i think how the bike is set up is hot: i like the level saddle, seatpost height, amount of spacers, stem length, stem angle, handlebar setup. it all LOOKS setup perfect, to me anyway.
i LIKE that it isn't "murdered" out, all black...lots of HOT bikes here seem to be very LOUD visually.
anywho just my 2 cents
Old 11-05-13, 04:49 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The red bike's saddle looks dinky compared to everything else.

I wear size 13 shoes but am only 5'11 and ride a 56cm bike.
Old 11-05-13, 04:55 PM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Axiom
i like everything on the bike...if the saddle was level, showed some more seatpost, installed the hoods slightly lower for level hood surface, removed lights for the photo, and photo taken at a more level angle, it would probably be a hot to me.
Old 11-05-13, 05:28 PM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by illdthedj
i think this bike is HOT as it stands. in a understated way. i like the full ultegra group and wheelset.
also i think how the bike is set up is hot: i like the level saddle, seatpost height, amount of spacers, stem length, stem angle, handlebar setup. it all LOOKS setup perfect, to me anyway.
i LIKE that it isn't "murdered" out, all black...lots of HOT bikes here seem to be very LOUD visually.
anywho just my 2 cents
You are absolutely right about the full Ultegra group and the general setup and proportions of the bike. I think it would just be that much better if it was a black Ultegra group.
Old 11-05-13, 05:43 PM
MingusDew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikhalit
My first road bike, low budget build. That bottle holder was there just for the first ride.
While the proportions are strange, the clean appearance definitely helps it out. I'd say that's pretty hot, even if a bit different than the 'ideal' proportions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.