Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Idea for a wax specific bike chain.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Idea for a wax specific bike chain.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 09:19 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
The interval between wax cycles may be related to either temperature or to chain preparation.

When I wax (or re-wax) my chain I first ultrasonically clean the chain in hot (80°C) soapy water, followed by hot mineral spirits, then hot denatured alcohol. Then I wax at 93°C.

My experience is that the measured / monitored temperature of the wax bath immediately drops (as-expected) once the "cool" chain is immersed. I then wait for the measured / monitored bath temperature to restore to 93°C before removing and hanging the chain to cool / harden.

The biggest detriment to extended intervals is water. If I get caught in the rain, then I swap to the spare and wax the next batch when required.

The rear cassette cog count mandates an increasingly more narrow chain as the count increases. Ensure the fattest possible chain is selected, appropriate to the rear cassette.

How many speeds on the rear cassette and which model number chain is being used?
Thanks for your response. The system is a 3 x 9 road system. My 2 chains currently in use are a SRAM PC-1090 (I believe), and I will have to check the other chain's specific name - it is a KMC 9 speed chain (it had an "X" in the name - it also had red paint or powder coating on the inner links, this wore off quickly in use but some of it remains). The KMC seems to be the quieter off the 2 chains, it is also showing the wear being greater than 1% - but this is on the Park Tools chain checker which I have heard is unreliable. I will get the model number of the KMC chain and post it when I get home (I'm at work now). I'm actually quite optimistic about chain waxing and plan to continue using it for the 2019 season.

That's interesting that you are putting mineral spirits and denatured alcohol into the ultrasonic tank. Do you put these liquids into a secondary container?
Old 12-28-18, 09:56 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
There are three jars that I use when cleaning chains, that are each dunked into the clean hot water ultrasonic bath, one w/ fresh soapy water, one jar w/ mineral spirits and one w/ denatured alcohol.

A PC-1090 chain is rated at 10-speeds. It may have better long-term service to instead use a 9-speed chain.
Old 12-28-18, 10:02 AM
wingless

The Park Tool CC-2 Chain Checker has been working well for me. The measurements provided by the tool correlate well to manual measurements made w/ a long steel rule.
Old 12-28-18, 11:44 AM
masi61

There are three jars that I use when cleaning chains, that are each dunked into the clean hot water ultrasonic bath, one w/ fresh soapy water, one jar w/ mineral spirits and one w/ denatured alcohol.

A PC-1090 chain is rated at 10-speeds. It may have better long-term service to instead use a 9-speed chain.
Is sufficient ultrasonic action transferred to the insides of the individual jars?

i believe I have the correct chain that is for 9 speeds. I will double check.
Old 12-28-18, 12:17 PM
masi61

The Park Tool CC-2 Chain Checker has been working well for me. The measurements provided by the tool correlate well to manual measurements made w/ a long steel rule.
that’s the same one I’m using!
Old 12-28-18, 12:23 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by gregf83
I think you’ll need to sketch a picture for those of us who don’t understand how you are going to avoid metal on metal as being the primary mechanism for transferring force. Any place you have metal on ptfe will be quiet for 1 mile or it won’t be capable of transmitting sufficient force.

Sorry, I don’t have a drawing to offer right now. I’m now knowledgeable enough about the pin & roller geometry to speak to how one might put a self lubricating bushing in there. But the softer parts would’ve there quieting things and reducing friction.

As for the outer chain plates they would be slightly hollowed where they articulate with the inner link. In the hollow part is where hard Wax or a longer lasting material could be imbedded.

Old 12-28-18, 12:32 PM
wingless

Originally Posted by masi61
Is sufficient ultrasonic action transferred to the insides of the individual jars?
Yes, this is a common way to use an ultrasonic cleaner w/ chemicals other than water.
Old 12-28-18, 12:59 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I see a small renaissance in the practice of chain waxing in order to take advantage of the cleanliness and reduced friction that this system makes possible.
I doubt that wax reduces friction below that of a liquid lube. Subjectively you can observe this by running your finger across a waxed surface and then across an oiled surface. More finger pressure accentuates this effect. Bicycle chains, however, are not subjected to high pressures and temperatures so most lubricants work well despite having higher coefficients of friction, up to their limits. I said before that I liked using wax, but the hassle of relubing every 2 weeks in wet, winter weather got to be a bit too much. If all I did is ride in warm, dry weather, I would use nothing but wax.

So yeah, one person expressing a brief reservation about chain durability (that I share) , does little to quell my personal enthusiasm. I certainly don’t need the endorsements of cynical skeptics whose authority has not been established. I’m quite secure in the product knowledge that I have already gained, so sure - you telling me my idea sucks because the technology has existed forever - sorry this just doesn’t resonate for me.
Glad you have found what works for you. I was not one who said your idea sucked, but my opinion is still that manufacturers are not inclined to undertake a development project when there is so little to gain. Solid lubricants have been around a long time but they have limited uses.

Very few solid lubricants have the required adhesive and cohesive properties which enable them to create an effective lubricating layer with low friction coefficients and sufficient lifetime. Jan C.J. Bart, et.al, Biolubricants, 2013
Still, I would like to see some objective research specifically related to bike chains. Surely some ME Masters candidate is looking for a thesis topic.
Old 12-29-18, 06:28 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Having a place in the chain to hang on to a chunk of lube won't help in the slightest, because the whole deal with a dry lube is that it doesn't wet. In other words, it won't get from where it is to where you want it by itself. It actually seems like a great place for the chain to collect debris, to my mind.

Ensure the fattest possible chain is selected, appropriate to the rear cassette.
Except if you're on ten speed, where you'll want an eleven speed chain, in fact... At least as far as Shimano is concerned, not sure about the other brands.

The internal width is the same, but because it's slimmer overall, that meant the normal stamped bushes in the inner plates weren't going to cut it. So Shimano went back to a proper separate bushing like earlier chains, except split in half like the stamped bushings. Anyway, because part of the width isn't lost to the radius inherent in a stamping, there's more bearing surface in the 11s chains than the 10s ones.
Old 12-29-18, 04:11 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Still, I would like to see some objective research specifically related to bike chains. Surely some ME Masters candidate is looking for a thesis topic.
No doubt, that's never been done -- especially by people who actually design and produce drive chain.
Old 12-30-18, 04:06 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
@masi61 @Hoopdriver @AnkleWork I think what you are looking for is something we see in saw chain like Stihl Oilomatic chains.
https://m.stihlusa.com/products/tech...ihl-oilomatic/
Not exactly the same application, higher speed, smaller rollers, tighter bends, bigger loads.

I think that having lubrication channels built in to the link profile is entirely plausible, but in the context of waxing, the amount of extra lubrication it would provide would be negligible as far as extending the time between wax applications

Old 12-30-18, 04:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Rohloff's Lubramatic device, was putting a little oil on your chain with a small tank and a plunger slowly dripping a little on the chain

Old 01-02-19, 03:06 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
I'm fine with using oil on chains but if I was going to use plastic on wear surfaces it would be UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). It has a very slick surface like teflon but orders of magnitude more durable for wear applications than PTFE or any other teflon. If you look at canning machinery or pretty much any automated machinery where items are being moved, the material they use for the guides is UHMWPE. Not sure how this would hold up in comparison to steel but I'm sure it would last a lot longer than PTFE.

Of course there is also the issue of making the parts for your chain. PTFE, UHMW, and most other high wear plastics can't be molded to precise dimensions meaning you would need to machine the bits, which would likely end up making your chain too expensive to sell.
Old 01-03-19, 05:40 AM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Motorcycles use chains that are mostly self-lubing. They have o-rings between the inner and outer plates to keep the grease in - a google picture search will show how this works. These chains are typically good for 10-20 K miles. The only lubing these chains require is on the outside of the rollers, to slow down the wear occurring at the interface between the chain's rollers and the teeth on the cogs.
However, these chains don't bend sideways, so they would only work on single speed bikes, not on derailer bikes. Also, the o-rings introduce friction, not a big deal on motorcycles but probably not a good idea in the bicycle world where people pay a lot of money to have ceramic bearings and larger jockey wheels, in the hope of reducing friction.
The idea of using plastic bushings is probably not realistic, given the forces involved. When the chain is running at an angle (so most of the time on derailer bikes) only one side of the chain is transmitting power. The force where the pin meets the side plate is going to be very considerable, especially with the very narrow chains used with 10-12 speed cassettes.
Old 01-03-19, 07:20 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I'm fine with using oil on chains but if I was going to use plastic on wear surfaces it would be UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). It has a very slick surface like teflon but orders of magnitude more durable for wear applications than PTFE or any other teflon. If you look at canning machinery or pretty much any automated machinery where items are being moved, the material they use for the guides is UHMWPE. Not sure how this would hold up in comparison to steel but I'm sure it would last a lot longer than PTFE.

Of course there is also the issue of making the parts for your chain. PTFE, UHMW, and most other high wear plastics can't be molded to precise dimensions meaning you would need to machine the bits, which would likely end up making your chain too expensive to sell.
Thanks for your reply. This is the material I was thinking of. To my mind, it would be a very interesting material to have in little side plate inserts but I hear what you;re saying about the cost concerns.
Old 01-03-19, 07:27 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by lubloi
Motorcycles use chains that are mostly self-lubing. They have o-rings between the inner and outer plates to keep the grease in - a google picture search will show how this works. These chains are typically good for 10-20 K miles. The only lubing these chains require is on the outside of the rollers, to slow down the wear occurring at the interface between the chain's rollers and the teeth on the cogs.
However, these chains don't bend sideways, so they would only work on single speed bikes, not on derailer bikes. Also, the o-rings introduce friction, not a big deal on motorcycles but probably not a good idea in the bicycle world where people pay a lot of money to have ceramic bearings and larger jockey wheels, in the hope of reducing friction.
The idea of using plastic bushings is probably not realistic, given the forces involved. When the chain is running at an angle (so most of the time on derailer bikes) only one side of the chain is transmitting power. The force where the pin meets the side plate is going to be very considerable, especially with the very narrow chains used with 10-12 speed cassettes.
Thank you for your reply. It sounds like motorcycle chain could be marketed for bicycle single speed applications for those customers that value low maintenance and extreme durability.

The interface where the pin meets the side plate on a 10-12 speed multi speed bike does not have to be compromised in order to incorporate the little friction bushings (UHMWPE as the previous poster had referred to). I know I’m being a bit unrealistic and I wouldn’t personally go forward to try to implement this type of design change, but I’m just saying - there is room for better multi speed chains that are quieter, lower friction, require less lube and that might even have a longer life.
Old 01-03-19, 08:55 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Instead of using paraffin wax, which is pretty well worthless as a long term lubricant as it has no thixotropic properties., why not use a wax that is designed for chains, like the Putoline one. It has enough lanolin and Molybdenum disulphide to provide a couple thousand km of trouble free use, because it'll flow under pressure. Yes it's dark because of the moly, but if you want long chain life with low maintenance then you'll need to compromise.
O-ring chains would suck on a bike, most lower powered road motorbikes don't have them because they suck too much power. The side plates are pressed enough to compress the O-rings and this creates a heap of friction. If maintenance was that bigger issue shaft drive would be more popular.
Old 01-03-19, 01:36 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Instead of using paraffin wax, which is pretty well worthless as a long term lubricant as it has no thixotropic properties., why not use a wax that is designed for chains, like the Putoline one. It has enough lanolin and Molybdenum disulphide to provide a couple thousand km of trouble free use, because it'll flow under pressure. Yes it's dark because of the moly, but if you want long chain life with low maintenance then you'll need to compromise.
O-ring chains would suck on a bike, most lower powered road motorbikes don't have them because they suck too much power. The side plates are pressed enough to compress the O-rings and this creates a heap of friction. If maintenance was that bigger issue shaft drive would be more popular.
I’ve never heard of Putoline. I would be curious if anyone has tried it on a bicycle chain and how they liked it. Molten Speed Wax has moly in it as well I believe which gives it a dark color.
Old 01-03-19, 02:47 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts

Thank you for your reply. It sounds like motorcycle chain could be marketed for bicycle single speed applications for those customers that value low maintenance and extreme durability.

Read carefully; the chain still needs to be lubed just as bike chains are now. There's just no way around it. Without external chain lube, sprockets wear faster off-setting any possible "gain."

Riding a bike means regularly lubing the chain, pumping air into the tires and fixing flats.
Old 01-05-19, 07:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Again wax is NOT a lubricant. All you get is a chain that is clean to the touch, and wears out quickly. Using Mobil 1 oil, my park chain wear tool says I should now change the chain on my trike. It has over 8000 miles on it.
Old 01-05-19, 07:46 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Again wax is NOT a lubricant. All you get is a chain that is clean to the touch, and wears out quickly. Using Mobil 1 oil, my park chain wear tool says I should now change the chain on my trike. It has over 8000 miles on it.
Recumbents normally get higher mileage from a chain because there are 2 to 3 times more links in it. Each link runs across a sprocket/chainring far less than on an upright bike. I,too, find chain wear on my trike to be slight. I get about 3,000 miles per chain on my upright bikes so your 8,000 makes sense.
Old 01-05-19, 06:38 PM
wingless

Originally Posted by rydabent
Again wax is NOT a lubricant. All you get is a chain that is clean to the touch, and wears out quickly.
That doesn't comport w/ the Molton Speed Wax FAQ

My chains have been lubricated with that wax and they are clean and quiet. If there was insufficient lubrication, then audible noise would exist, it doesn't.
Old 01-05-19, 06:52 PM
masi61

That doesn't comport w/ the Molton Speed Wax FAQ

My chains have been lubricated with that wax and they are clean and quiet. If there was insufficient lubrication, then audible noise would exist, it doesn't.
Hopefully my chain performance in 2019 with the Molten Speed Wax will fall into line with the excellent results you’re getting. Because unfortunately for me I did notice that my waxed chains are not as quiet as my wet lubed chains.

Going to to try some inexpensive 9-speed FSA chains (got a 3 pack for like $15) and a titanium nitride plated side plate cut-out ultralight KMC chain I also was going to try.
Old 01-06-19, 05:20 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
If I had to re wax my chains every 300-400 miles I'd changing lubes... Generally on tour with the Putoline it'll go to around 1000km before the chain starts making a noise on the sprockets, at which point I'll put a little bit of whatever chain lube I can get locally.If it's wet it might need some lube before that. But it's literally only putting a thin film on to stop friction between the rollers and sprockets. The links are still visibly full of lube. I'll service the chain when I get home, longest interval so far is 2700km.
I use an electric frying pan I got from a thrift store, it's much quicker to heat than a crock pot and easier to manipulate the chain in as it's wider. Temperature control is better too. They usually come with a lid, so it gets stored on the shelf ready to go. I thread a piece of old gear cable through the end of the chain and the quick links. Down here in Antarctica I need to heat the chains with a heat gun to help the excess drain though, the workshop is unheated so the chains cools down real quick...
Old 01-06-19, 07:22 AM
wingless

The Molton Wax web site shows this information on YBN Ni-PTFE low-friction chain coatings that may be of-interest to the OP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.