Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has anyone dressed axle cones using a hand drill and sandpaper?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 10:04 AM
MB33 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

I have a front hub with some light pitting on the bearing surface area of both cones. I see posts on here about people using a lathe and a special bit to get rid of the pitting. Has anyone done this by chucking the cone in a hand drill and using sandpaper? I would think it would work. I have every grade of sandpaper under the sun up to 2000 grit, Simichrome, and 4 grades of steel wool, I'm just not sure what grades of to start and end with.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MB33; 02-26-19 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-26-19, 10:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
More than sandpaper.... (have you tried your Idea yet, how did it work ?)

how it has been done ... 2 drill motors 1 has a cone shaped, grindstone bit, the other spins the cone on an axle..

don't let the heat of doing it take the temper out of the steel .. keep or cool, dipped in water often
Old 02-26-19, 10:15 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
I don't think this is practical. Good cones are hardened very hard. If you make any progress at all, it will be with huge amounts of materials and labor, and they would exceed the cost of replacement cones. And you might not get anywhere. Or if you get somewhere, you might go through the hardened layer and end up with a soft outer layer, and that's no good. I have never heard of anyone succeeding at this, though I've heard the idea over the years.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-26-19, 11:30 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve ground a number of cones using a drill press and a Dremel. Or a drill press and a sand paper rolled around a screwdriver blade. Doing it with a hand drill seems tedious, but not impossible. Cone survival after grinding has not been a problem.
Don’t rightly remember which grits I’ve used. With the Dremel, I finish with a polishing stone that leaves near enough a mirror finish. With the sand paper, it’s a fine wet sanding one.
I’ve spoken to friends in the automotive business, and w/o taking a cone to the lab, their best guesstimate, based on truck transmission manufacturing, it that pieces of that size are most likely to end through-hardened.

Last edited by dabac; 02-26-19 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For dabac:
Old 02-26-19, 11:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
OK now I've heard of one person succeeding at it. I'm glad to know I'm wrong.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-26-19, 01:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hs...e/1282111.html

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod27119.aspx
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-26-19, 01:14 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
With only light pitting the technique that i use is to clean out the race of any grease and debris, clean the bearings and cone. Then repack the race with lapping compound. Re-assemble with the old ball bearings, assuming they were good. Then connect a drill motor to the axle and hold onto the hub. Run the drill for a few minutes in both forward and reverse. Then dis-assemble and throw away the ball bearings. Clean everything real good and re-assemble with new ball bearings.

The technique described in the original post would be for for more serious pitting. I don't see why it wouldn't work, This diameter of the grinding tool must be real close to the diameter of the balls. It might be good to follow up with the lapping compound afterward.

Let us know how it goes. With pictures please.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-26-19, 01:15 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
OK now I've heard of one person succeeding at it. I'm glad to know I'm wrong.
I won't say that you are wrong, noglider. Simply put, the cones and the cups are case hardened, not completely hardened. With that in mind, once the hardened surface where the balls run, is gone, wear rate will accelerate. Yes, one might get away with it but not forever. Of course, I might be wrong also but, were it me and were I riding a long way away from home, my bearing cups and races will always be in good shape - before heading out.

All that said, I have dressed bearing races and/or cups but only if a proper replacement set, in good shape, was not available at the time. And, I stayed close to home on any such steed. And, I never sold a bicycle with damaged bearings, just in case anyone is wondering.
Old 02-26-19, 01:17 PM
cinco

Bikes: Forty of them

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I’ve spoken to friends in the automotive business, and w/o taking a cone to the lab, their best guesstimate, based on truck transmission manufacturing, it that pieces of that size are most likely to end through-hardened.
I've heard that most are only case-hardened to minimize distortion since they're machined before hardening. The exception to that is classic Campy, which are rumored to be hardened all the way through and machined afterwards. I have no actual evidence of any of that, however.

I've re-cut several Campy cones using a toolpost grinder on a lathe, but can't speak to the relative success of any other method. I tend to avoid messing with cones from other brands except in times of desperation.
Old 02-26-19, 06:36 PM
MB33 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far folks. I'm going to give it a go, but it might be a couple days before I can get my "redneck lathe" set up. My plan is using a 3/16 drill bit for a block, start with 1000, then go to 1500, then 2000 (all with water), then 0000 steel wool with simichrome as the final polish.
Old 02-27-19, 08:17 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
[QUOTE=dedhed;20813017]https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hs...e/1282111.html

"But the advantages to Cherry Red compound are that it's not a cyanide-based compound"

A good thing, helps with repeat sales.

Old 05-01-20, 12:06 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
I thought I would bump this old thread:

I came across this page on the web:

https://bicycleobsession.wordpress.c...ted-hub-cones/

And tried the technique with a pair of cones that were only slightly less pitted than the ones shown on the website, using a slightly simplified (and totally low budget dirtbag) setup:

Even so, I was amazed at how well it worked. The only other thing I did was to spin them against this 3M metal polishing cloth I have. I wish I had taken "before" pictures, but they weren't really very old cones, just abused, with some mild pitting. Are they slightly out of round now? Possibly, but the reassembled wheel seems to spin quite smoothly. Not new-wheel-smoothly, but good enough so that, giving the axle the "hand test" now, I wouldn't feel the need to repack the bearings. Anyway, I'm really psyched to know about this, thanks.

Last edited by Headpost; 05-01-20 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-01-20, 12:38 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Headpost
Very impressive work!
Perhaps you should add to the "Hints and Tricks" thread on the mechanics forum. Might encourage someone else to try and save an irreplaceable part, especially during covid.
Old 05-02-20, 06:26 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule

This diameter of the grinding tool must be real close to the diameter of the balls.
Um, no.

The race surface has a larger radius than that of the balls, but how much larger does not (within limits) matter, except that larger is marginally better [1]

What matters is that that the line between the points of contact on each side of the balls both
a) runs on a hard smooth surface; and
b) is at an angle correct for the kind of load expected. All you have to do is grind so that line is in the same relative position.

[1] Larger is marginally better because the balls do not make a perfect point contact, there is some elastic deformation, and so there is "skidding" of the parts in contact at the edges of the line of contact; this skidding is the source of wear, and a flatter base reduces the width of the line and the resultant wear.