Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

GMBN video on MTB commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-09-19, 02:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts

Not so much commuter biking, rather using your commute to get in another MTB ride. At first glance this is a lot of riding up and down stairs. But he does a lot of things I’ve done too, linking green areas on the map and adding distance, adding a paved climb to get a dirt descent.

The only bike related stuff of note, he has his tire pressure very high for a modern MTB and a foam insert to prevent pinch flats on those stairs, and is running suspension in open mode but with more compression dialed in. Sounds harsh!

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 03-09-19 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-09-19, 05:37 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

The only bike related stuff of note, he has his tire pressure very high for a modern MTB and a foam insert to prevent pinch flats on those stairs, and is running suspension in open mode but with more compression dialed in. Sounds harsh!

https://youtu.be/sIQERgpxN-g
That's Doddy for you! lol
Old 03-10-19, 10:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Not so much commuter biking, rather using your commute to get in another MTB ride. At first glance this is a lot of riding up and down stairs. But he does a lot of things I’ve done too, linking green areas on the map and adding distance, adding a paved climb to get a dirt descent.

No, it’s commuting. It just happens to be on dirt rather than pavement. I’ve been doing it for 30 years...and have been being told how wrong it is for the last 15. I’ve been told that it’s slow...yes it is, so what? I’ve been told that I’m endangering peoples lives by suggesting knob tires that are going to slip and cause people to spontaneously combust (or something). Yes, it’s a little slower but it’s a whole lot more like fun then a daily grind.

Here’s mine in action (sort of)

DSCN0934 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
IMG_3144 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
DSCN0298 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
DSCN0387 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-12-19, 10:30 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Pretty impressive the length and steepness of some of those runs of stairs he takes, and even a few small staircases upwards. But how does he get home?
Old 03-12-19, 11:24 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
That's how my Frankfurt commute was.

Right out of the banking district and up into the foothills!

or in Stockholm trough a bike park and to a ski jump!
Old 03-12-19, 09:48 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Does a mountain bike always play heavy guitar music when you commute on it?
...just like that 'epic' music that always comes out of my road bike on the same route.
Old 03-12-19, 10:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by alias5000
Does a mountain bike always play heavy guitar music when you commute on it?
...just like that 'epic' music that always comes out of my road bike on the same route.
Sometimes it’s ski resort reggae
Old 03-13-19, 12:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
I don't have a mountain bike but hope to have one soon. I don't have those impressive skills, and now that I'm 58 years old, I'm not sure I want to acquire them so late in life. But maybe. Very impressive, and it looks like fun. Good thing I have subtitles turned on so I can understand his vernacular.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-13-19, 02:02 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

What are you looking at, Tom? Something C&V?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-13-19, 08:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

What are you looking at, Tom? Something C&V?
I haven't been looking lately. I've been unemployed since December, so I won't be purchasing anything until things improve. But a friend of mine says he has something that might fit me. I also have a frame and a whole lot of parts and might be able to build one with only a little purchasing. It's an old Cannondale with steel fork and no suspension. I understand the trails near me (upstate) are best with suspension, but I may not need to be picky.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-13-19, 09:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Just cram in the widest tires that will fit and run them at <30 psi, you will do fine. Rent or demo a suspension bike if you want to try it. I think they are great but they are certainly not cheap.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-14-19, 06:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Good idea. I’m also rebuilding my 1971 Raleigh Super Course into a gravel bike. That will be nice.

Old 03-14-19, 10:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

MTB tech has evolved a LOT more than road bike tech. Old MTB may be great for commuting and as urban utility bikes generally, and perfectly sufficient for gravel grinding (dirt roads and smooth trails), but I'd recommend that if you are looking to enjoy riding rougher (rooted/rocky/rutted) (hey that's 5 r's in a row!) trails, you want something more modern.

Since you have a very good handle on 'less is more' and 'old tech does great' in the road bike world, I'd say the epitome of that philosophy in MTB is the Surly Krampus. (There are probably a few other comparable bikes from other makers as well.) Steel frame, no mechanical suspension, only pneumatic -- 29x3" tires, which also gives great float for mud, sand, and snow. 1x drivetrain, since an 11-42 11-speed cassette gives you all the range you need. (Or can be set up SS, or you can technically get a double crankset on there, but frankly it doesn't work that well). The current edition has all kind of mount points for racks if you want to do bikepacking or touring.

But if you want to get in cheaper to try it out, you should be able to find very good deals on used 26" MTB. I'd say you want to look for at least Shimano 3x8 Deore or better (XT,XTR), although lower groups can be reliable as well (just like Tiagra is nothing to sneeze at). V-brakes are not as good as disc brakes, but they're still great. Probably stay away from rear suspension; hardtails are cheaper and better and lighter than low-end full-suspension. Look at the suspension fork as the bellwether part that indicates the quality of the whole. SunTour is generally not great, and try to stay away from elastomer forks. If a bike has an air shock by RockShox, it's probably a good bike. Fox is usually even better. As with road bikes, you want to run the widest, softest, supplest tires that your frame will allow. Probably you can get 2.25, if you're lucky you can squeeze 2.4" in there.
Old 03-14-19, 01:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@RubeRad, that's very helpful. Thanks.

I rode the Old Croton Aqueduct trail in October on a road racing bike with 27mm tires. It's not super rough, and it's not very hilly. Folks there thought I was nuts. I still don't think I was. There were only about two times when I had to dismount. I'm not saying I can ride anything anywhere, but I am adaptable. Let me finish building my gravel bike and see what I think. Before I can fit the rear wheel on, I need to make some kind of mod to the frame. I either need the chain stays bent or new dropouts brazed in.

Old 03-14-19, 02:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Cool. If a gravel bike handles the off-road you need it to, that's a great solution.

I met my buddy for a trail ride once, I thought he was going to bring his cross bike, so I brought my commuter (cross check with 700x42 Schwalbe Marathon Mondial on the front, and 700x50 Supreme on the back) -- but he showed up with his full-suspension mtb! The trail we rode was pretty smooth, and the cross bike did great -- although there were a number of slightly scary moments of sliding sideways with the rear tire. But that's really about tread, not about the bike. After the trail ride was done, I had to ride 8mi on the road to get to where I was going, so the bike choice worked out perfect in the end!