Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

"Salmon-ing" on a Sidewalk?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

"Salmon-ing" on a Sidewalk?

Old 03-26-19, 06:52 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Abbey
Talk to him. Compare notes on the commute. get his input as he may have insights too.
You mean an open dialog where two people seek common ground without prejudgment in a way that could better both parties?

It's so crazy it just might work!

Not sure it's ever been tried though....we're breaking new ground here.
Old 03-26-19, 09:09 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunga Dan
It's called a sideWALK. Anyone over the age of 12 who attempts to ride their bike on the sideWALK should be ticketed.
in that case, you're gonna have to come find me and give me a ticket then. i've been doing my little sidewalk shortcut to get to the MUP trailhead for a couple years now. CPD doesn't seem to give a single flying $h!t.

The answer to areas with dangerous road conditions for bikers is to change those conditions so the bikers are safe
that would be groovy with me. if the city were to put in a contra-flow bike lane on the one-way street in question, i'd gladly ride it, but until that happens......

SIDEWALK SHORTCUT!!!!!!

if there's a section of road you're not comfortable biking on, don't bike there.
it's not that i'm not comfortable riding on the street in question, it's just one-way the wrong way to get to the the MUP trailhead, and there's a perfectly good, almost never used sidewalk just sitting right there, so..........

If there's a short section of a trip which is otherwise fine in the street where you simply MUST use the sidewalk, get off your bike and walk it.
LOL! walk my bike? on a sidewalk that goes past a sewage pumping station that almost never has anyone on it? for 700 feet? yeah, i'm never going to do that.

as i stated earlier, on the rare occasion that i do encounter someone on that short stretch of sidewalk, i slow WAY down, and even pass people on the grass if i'm rolling behind them.

What needs to be done is to have the ROADS set up so adult bikers can ride there safely & comfortably. .
i agree, but until the city recognizes how asinine it is to have a one-way street lead to the trailhead of an MUP, i'll be happily riding on that stretch of sidewalk!

feel free to come and ticket me anytime

Last edited by Steely Dan; 03-26-19 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 01:23 PM
parkbrav

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
in that case, you're gonna have to come find me and give me a ticket then. i've been doing my little sidewalk shortcut to get to the MUP trailhead for a couple years now. CPD doesn't seem to give a single flying $h!t.
Haha, I think in theory one could still get a ticket, but most likely it's not going to come up unless there's reason to enforce, like a safety event. Meaning, there will probably be no ticket unless there was a collision or other accident, then the victim could bring a negligence suit against the tortfeasor under the theory there was an ordinance specifically against the conduct in question.

haha, I can imagine the challenges of cycling on the sidewalk in MY town on trash day - the sidewalks are just strewn with trash and garbage cans

LOL! walk my bike? on a sidewalk that goes past a sewage pumping station that almost never has anyone on it? for 700 feet? yeah, i'm never going to do that.
i agree, but until the city recognizes how asinine it is to have a one-way street lead to the trailhead of an MUP, i'll be happily riding on that stretch of sidewalk!
We're all going to have our different iterations of "well, you're right about not cycling on sidewalks against traffic, except in MY case..." that's not exactly why I started this conversation ... to point fingers at any body or start a "witch hunt...." I was really going after the limited specifics of the scenario I mentioned above.

It just amazes me how a simple observation about a BSO cycling contra-flow to traffic on a wide suburban road is sparking so much excitement. It wasn't meant to.
Old 03-26-19, 01:30 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
welcome to the internet
Old 03-26-19, 01:37 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
We're all going to have our different iterations of "well, you're right about not cycling on sidewalks against traffic, except in MY case..." that's not exactly why I started this conversation ... to point fingers at any body or start a "witch hunt...." I was really going after the limited specifics of the scenario I mentioned above.
which is all fine and good, but threads evolve, they grow, they branch out in multiple directions, one topic leads to another, leads to another, leads to another, etc.

topic drift in a thread on an internet discussion forum is perfectly natural and happens in about 95% of all threads that sustain themselves beyond a handful of responses.

and this one hasn't been egregiously bad. we started out talking about bikes on sidewalks, and here we are 4 pages later talking about bikes on sidewalks, so.....

as for me, i just enjoy ruffling the feathers of the absolutists. can't help myself.

"thou shalt not ride a bicycle on any sidewalk, anywhere, for any reason, ever"

well, sometimes i do. and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.

strike me down, lord. strike me down now with your wrathful vengeance.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 03-26-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 02:20 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Wait -- the old man was ripping across the intersection full speed on a bicycle? And how does a rolling "stop" constitute "coming to a stop"? You do understand that the question was about the rolling-stop driver and the old man, right?

Actually, when entering the roadway in that situation, the driver should be looking to her/his RIGHT once again, AFTER looking left, exactly because a pedestrian may be entering the crosswalk after s/he has looked to the left. S/he should be sufficiently certain that car traffic from the left is sufficiently clear (that is, far enough away or non-existent) that s/he can look to the right again while entering the roadway.

But once again, since the most recent (suburban Maryland, dump site, etc) situation involves (which of the following two words is unclear?) NO INTERSECTIONS, this story is still irrelevant.
THIS HAPPENED IN LOS ANGELES ON A BUSY CITY STREET (Santa Monica Blvd) INTERSECTION. WITH THOUSANDS OF CARS PASSING THROUGH EVERYDAY. IT WAS NOT IRRELEVANT TO THE OLD MAN LAYING IN THE STREET. THE POINT IS A BICYCLE GOING FAST ENOUGH TO STAY VERTICAL, WILL RIDE OUT IN FRONT OF A DRIVER (doing a rolling stop or after a full stop) FROM THE DRIVERS RIGHT SIDE BEFORE THE DRIVER CAN STOP OR EVEN SEE THE BIKE. AND NINE TIMES OUT OF TEN BICYCLE RIDERS RIDING ON THE SIDE WALK DON'T STOP AT THE CORNER. THEY KEEP GOING STRAIGHT ACROSS THE STREET AND CAUSE DRIVERS TO JAM ON THEIR BRAKES.

Last edited by yukiinu; 03-26-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 02:31 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by yukiinu
AND NINE TIMES OUT OF TEN BICYCLE RIDERS RIDING ON THE SIDE WALK DON'T STOP AT THE CORNER. THEY KEEP GOING STRAIGHT ACROSS THE STREET AND CAUSE DRIVERS TO JAM ON THEIR BRAKES.
I think everybody here agrees that cyclists should not do that.
Old 03-26-19, 02:41 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by RubeRad
And could we agree that those instances of when it does happen, to chalk it up to cyclist inexperience? e.g. one bad apple spoils the bunch, that one inexperienced cyclist reflects badly on the 9 experienced cyclists that would never attempt such a thing?

I think that's where I can make sense of this thread right now, I was trying to point out what I perceived to be cyclist inexperience, hence my original desire to reach out to this cyclist and try to "re-direct"
Old 03-26-19, 02:43 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Yeah god forbid we had general guidelines that could be applied using common sense for the specific situation....
It's so much better to have absolute rules designed for the average be applied to the extremes and enforced with draconian authority. That makes for a much happier free society. (Massive sarcasm alert)
When you drive 56mph on a 55mph zone you to self report your scofflaw behavior to the police and demand to be ticketed?
This kind of reminds me of the dichotomy between some European countries. I had a Canadian friend that used to think Italian drivers were a little crazy. She then moved to Germany, and she was shocked that people admonished her for crossing (on foot) against a traffic light late at night when you could see the road in either direction for hundreds of meters. Somewhere in the middle...
Old 03-26-19, 05:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
This kind of reminds me of the dichotomy between some European countries. I had a Canadian friend that used to think Italian drivers were a little crazy. She then moved to Germany, and she was shocked that people admonished her for crossing (on foot) against a traffic light late at night when you could see the road in either direction for hundreds of meters. Somewhere in the middle...
... is Paris
Old 03-26-19, 05:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
And could we agree that those instances of when it does happen, to chalk it up to cyclist inexperience? e.g. one bad apple spoils the bunch, that one inexperienced cyclist reflects badly on the 9 experienced cyclists that would never attempt such a thing?
No, "we" cannot agree with with spacey platitudes about bicycling safety and rider experience.
Maybe ""we" can agree that one misguided pontificator posting baloney about bicycling safety reflects badly on nine posters who post sensible ideas.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-26-19 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 05:14 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

And could we agree that those instances of when it does happen, to chalk it up to cyclist inexperience?
or knowing better and not caring. A lot of 'experienced' cyclists think their skill makes them above the law
Old 03-26-19, 05:25 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
+1, and I think we agree that it's irrelevant to both the old man story and the most recently described sidewalk-cycling scenario. The whole "KEEP GOING STRAIGHT ACROSS THE STREET" scenario was introduced to this thread, evidently as a diversion, by our esteemed omni-capitalizing poster.

And I hope we can agree that no one needs to shout an entire post.

As for speed, I reckon most of us can "STAY VERTICAL" going no faster than a typical pedestrian. Wheelchair users routinely use the sidewalk faster than I ever would on a bicycle. Should they be likewise excoriated?

As an aside / analogy, we technically have no "bike paths" here in one of the (reputedly) most bicycle-friendly cities in the US. They're all multi-use paths, aka MUPs. On a daily basis, cyclists find themselves waiting behind pedestrians on the path for a clear shot to pass, going exactly their speed. If you can't "STAY VERTICAL" at such speeds, then yeah, you should probably stay off any sidewalk or MUP. Then again, you should consider honing (not reaming...) your skills.
Old 03-27-19, 06:31 AM
Skipjacks

or knowing better and not caring. A lot of 'experienced' cyclists think their skill makes them above the law
This! This, my god, this!!!

I see a hell of a lot more guys in full spandex on $3000 bikes doing stupid things on the road (running lights, ignoring stop signs, riding super busy curvy roads full of blinds spots with no shoulder, etc) than I see guys on cheap bikes in blue jeans riding to work doing that stuff.
Old 03-27-19, 06:36 AM
Skipjacks

I think most people hear agree that this is not a common occurrence at all.

I don't recall ever seeing someone do this. Run a red light or stop sign while riding in the road...sure. But being on the side of the road and just riding straight across it blindly? If this was a common thing we'd see a heck of a lot more flattened cyclists. You get to do something like that once...maybe twice in your life before statistics catch up with you and you die painfully.
Old 04-08-19, 11:41 AM
Smirksalot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The point about the danger of this behavior being related to intersections is quite valid. However, no one has mentioned driveways. This is more of a danger than the intersections in my mind, the same issue with not really looking to the right when turning right is a big one, regardless of whether or not the driver is responsible. If you're going to ride against traffic on the sidewalk you should be well aware that you could die from this and proceed accordingly.
Had a salmon yell at me to pay attention because I was looking down at my chain for a moment, never mind that he was on the wrong side. He almost t-boned my wife and I a few nights prior to this, doing exactly what other posters here have described. He wasn't riding on the sidewalk, so this story is a little off topic, but the fact that I haven't seen him in months makes me wonder if he finally got hit.
So, in short, be careful when on your bike.
Old 04-08-19, 11:50 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by Smirksalot
The point about the danger of this behavior being related to intersections is quite valid. However, no one has mentioned driveways. This is more of a danger than the intersections in my mind, the same issue with not really looking to the right when turning right is a big one, regardless of whether or not the driver is responsible. If you're going to ride against traffic on the sidewalk you should be well aware that you could die from this and proceed accordingly.
That depends on the street.

One road I ride on has long driveways to garages and no street parking. I ride on the street here, but if I was on the sidewalk there would be plenty of visibility for a car backing out into the road. You'd see the garage door up, the car slowly backing down the driveway, etc.

There is another road near my house that I don't I ride on where the driveways are short so the parked cars' bumpers are right up against the sidewalk. There is street parking as well. So as a bike rider you'd choose between riding on the sidewalk knowing that a car backing up so much as 1 foot with no warning would be in your path. Or you ride on the road knowing that a car you can barely see backs out from between 2 cars parallel parked on the street and flattens you.

What I'm really getting at is that there is no single rule that applies to every street.

You have to use your head and decide how and if you want to ride on each street and make the decision based on that street, not the average of all streets.

The second example I gave is a death trap for cyclists in my opinion so I don't mess with it. Heck I don't even like driving down that street.
Old 04-08-19, 11:52 AM
madpogue 

Once again, there is no such thing as "against traffic" on a sidewalk. Sidewalk traffic is two-way. The fact that vehicle traffic on the adjacent roadway goes in one direction or the other should have no (pardon the pun) impact. You could just as easily die from walking down a sidewalk where drivers entering from a driveway fail to do what's required of them and look BOTH WAYS down the sidewalk before even checking the street traffic. Is it safer to have to cross a busy street, and later cross back, only to use a sidewalk in a way that you happen to be going the same direction as the adjacent vehicle traffic? Should you have to go an extra block if you're using a sidewalk adjacent to a street that happens to be one-way, in the opposite direction of where you're going?

Driveways are a primary (and, one would hope, obvious) reason that, in many places that allow bicycle use on a sidewalk, it's still illegal to do so where a building directly abuts the sidewalk.

Last edited by madpogue; 04-08-19 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-08-19, 02:42 PM
InOmaha

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's a spot where I cross a parking lot, jump the curb, go down a small hill and get on the MUP. It cuts off almost a mile of extra riding to the official entrance for the MUP and back to that spot.

Don't clutch your pearls too tight.
Old 04-08-19, 04:30 PM
madpogue 

See if you can get the parking lot owners to make a curb cut at the point where you jump it....

(or just put a plywood ramp there and see how long it lasts....)
Old 04-08-19, 06:25 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Once again, there is no such thing as "against traffic" on a sidewalk. Sidewalk traffic is two-way. The fact that vehicle traffic on the adjacent roadway goes in one direction or the other should have no (pardon the pun) impact. You could just as easily die from walking down a sidewalk where drivers entering from a driveway fail to do what's required of them and look BOTH WAYS down the sidewalk before even checking the street traffic. Is it safer to have to cross a busy street, and later cross back, only to use a sidewalk in a way that you happen to be going the same direction as the adjacent vehicle traffic? Should you have to go an extra block if you're using a sidewalk adjacent to a street that happens to be one-way, in the opposite direction of where you're going?

Driveways are a primary (and, one would hope, obvious) reason that, in many places that allow bicycle use on a sidewalk, it's still illegal to do so where a building directly abuts the sidewalk.
WRONG,... TOTALY wrong, Yes, pedestrian's, or 6 year old bicyclists can go either way.... NO, problem. BUT, when an , adult bicyclist starts to/and are riding at lets say 3 X, 4X, maybe even 5X the speed of pedestrians or said 6 year old's… Things can go wrong, wrong real fast, when combined with motor vehicle traffic… JMO as I see it...
Old 04-08-19, 06:36 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

OR, as the reasonable sidewalk cyclists on this thread have described, when an adult bicyclist starts to/fro riding at 2x the speed of pedestrians when there are no pedestrians in sight, and 0.5x the speed of pedestrians when approaching any pedestrians, or when approaching any blind corner, and when the cyclists yields to any pedestrians or even just plain stops and puts their feet down if necessary...

Nothing goes wrong.
Old 04-09-19, 06:38 AM
parkbrav

Thanks for all the replies, really top-quality stuff. I must express some disappointment, however, with some of the responses. In my opinion, some of these responses are raising the "straw-man fallacy." I interpret that phrase to mean that you are 1) conveniently ignoring the specific fact pattern set out in thorough detail above, much of which undermines your position and 2) knocking down arguments that haven't been raised by anybody, and then 3) declaring total victory because you can't be changed from your own set of facts.

That depends on the street.
Again, the fact pattern that I raised at the beginning of this thread sets out that it is a very wide street that accommodates motorists and cyclists such that it doesn't seem necessary for a bicycle to operate illegally on a sidewalk. The post about potentially getting run-over I thought was a good one. That particularly stretch of sidewalk is interrupted by side streets leading to commercial and industrial businesses. Motorists trying to enter or exit those roads may also be surprised to see a BSO cycling on a sidewalk.

You have to use your head and decide how and if you want to ride on each street and make the decision based on that street, not the average of all streets.
Given the facts above, it continues to be my opinion that the safer option would be for the salmon to operate with the flow of traffic. The salmon-ing BSO will confuse motorists not expecting to see BSO heading north in the south-bound lane. The other problem is that creates a situation (as described) where there are two bicycles heading north on opposite parts of the road. Motorists in either direction seeing two bicycles will likely be confused in what way to give the requisite 3 feet.

Again, this municipality has a blanket ban on all vehicles - including cyclists - from the sidewalk. It doesn't matter if they are operating contra-flow or not. You can scoff at that all you want, but if you're going to be picking and choosing what areas to follow the law, and which areas you're not, you may be creating a dangerous situation for yourself and others. As was stated above, cyclists aren't above the law.

A lot of 'experienced' cyclists think their skill makes them above the law
There's a spot where I cross a parking lot, jump the curb, go down a small hill and get on the MUP.
That's great, I'm not sure I see the connection though. I personally detour-ed myself by at least 2.5 miles every day for a month last November in order to avoid several obstacles posed by a highway interchange that cuts through my municipality. We all do what we can to be safe.
Old 04-09-19, 06:42 AM
Skipjacks

OR, as the reasonable sidewalk cyclists on this thread have described, when an adult bicyclist starts to/fro riding at 2x the speed of pedestrians when there are no pedestrians in sight, and 0.5x the speed of pedestrians when approaching any pedestrians, or when approaching any blind corner, and when the cyclists yields to any pedestrians or even just plain stops and puts their feet down if necessary...

Nothing goes wrong.
This.

It's amazing how paying attention and keeping your speed in check with the specific conditions (pedestrians, visibility, etc) can virtually eliminate any and all problems.
Old 04-09-19, 06:45 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
This.

It's amazing how paying attention and keeping your speed in check with the specific conditions (pedestrians, visibility, etc) can virtually eliminate any and all problems.
Well the same could be said about operating a motor vehicle on a sidewalk, obviously that's also an illegal act.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.