Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Getting your bar association card revoked in three easy steps.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-13-19, 12:21 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts

It's baffling an attorney would do this, especially admitting to battery on camera. Good luck retaining your license to practice.
Old 07-13-19, 12:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Whew.... Pretty wild!!!

Glad you are safe.

Is there a Tar shortage in Chicago?
Old 07-13-19, 01:07 PM
Cat Daddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Report his ass.
Old 07-13-19, 03:14 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Wait a minute, your "touch" that makes him so furious, is you tapping on his window? That's what gets this guy so bent? (he's already type A+... just short of busting a blood vessel in his brain.)

What damage??? Tapping on his window???

Do indeed take it to the police. Please. The world doesn't need his kind on the road, in any capacity. He has no respect for any other road user, either motorist or cyclist. Sheesh.

I honestly doubt however that anything comes of this... at least on any sort of official level. The world is just full of self important people that believe they are God's gift to the rest of us.

Stay safe.
Old 07-13-19, 04:03 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

It should be noted I'm not the cammer. The video was originally uploaded by a guy named Ryan Lawber, and he was assaulted by a lawyer named Laurence Van Der Horst. This lawyer litigates nursing home abuse tort. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I do know Ryan filed a police report, and it's likely the case file hasn't even hit the prosecutor's desk yet. I've been encouraging people to report Van Der Horst to the IL bar association.
Old 07-13-19, 04:27 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Its the BMW god: Google the most common car make to be involved in road rage and you will know what I mean. I live in California and three out of four angry motorists that have verbally assaulted me or acted out by swerving, stopping and all other kind of road rage stupidity have been BMW drivers. This person was enraged before he started in on the bicyclist. As shocking as it may seem once the perp exits there car it is best to be dismounted before they are on you. Your bicycle is an exultant self defense tool.
Likes For Rick:
Old 07-13-19, 04:30 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The second angle is probably more damning than the first. Starting around the 1:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvZn...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-13-19, 04:47 PM
Rick

The second angle is probably more damning than the first. Starting around the 1:00 mark.
Good he did dismount. If he had not dismounted the perp might have knocked him on the ground and stomped him. Other than YouTube videos I have seen an enraged motorist push people down and stomp them and there bicycle two times.
Old 07-13-19, 04:50 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I think any stomping may have been prevented by the fact that the guy on the bike was about a head taller than the angry guy in the BMW. I was genuinely surprised the lawyer put a hand on the cyclist. Dude was seriously heated.
Old 07-13-19, 04:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
It should be noted I'm not the cammer. The video was originally uploaded by a guy named Ryan Lawber, and he was assaulted by a lawyer named Laurence Van Der Horst. This lawyer litigates nursing home abuse tort. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I do know Ryan filed a police report, and it's likely the case file hasn't even hit the prosecutor's desk yet. I've been encouraging people to report Van Der Horst to the IL bar association.
You didn't think that it was relevant to mention in the OP that you were not involved nor have any first hand knowledge of this incident?

But you are taking some sort of action to "encourage" others (perhaps others with no actual experience with the "guilty party") to make reports to the authorities. Is your OP and reposting somebody else's edited video and account of an incident the method by which you "encourage" people to make reports about this individual?
Old 07-13-19, 05:13 PM
Rick

I think any stomping may have been prevented by the fact that the guy on the bike was about a head taller than the angry guy in the BMW. I was genuinely surprised the lawyer put a hand on the cyclist. Dude was seriously heated.
Seeing that kind of rage is very unpleasant but it no longer surprise me.
Old 07-13-19, 05:17 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Wait a minute, your "touch" that makes him so furious, is you tapping on his window? That's what gets this guy so bent? (he's already type A+... just short of busting a blood vessel in his brain.)

What damage??? Tapping on his window???

Do indeed take it to the police. Please. The world doesn't need his kind on the road, in any capacity. He has no respect for any other road user, either motorist or cyclist. Sheesh.

I honestly doubt however that anything comes of this... at least on any sort of official level. The world is just full of self important people that believe they are God's gift to the rest of us.

Stay safe.
Yes, bad drivers hate having their cars touched. That's why a pool noodle is so effective in preserving your 3ft safety clearance.

Also, if you are walking across a street and a car is stuck in the intersection blocking your way and the cross traffic as well, the embarrassment of being stuck in the intersection is not enough of a deterrent to stop him from doing it again. But if you put your hand on his hood while your walking across, he'll get upset enough he may not do it again. (Maybe not, but he'll get really annoyed.)
Old 07-13-19, 05:24 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Rick
Its the BMW god: Google the most common car make to be involved in road rage and you will know what I mean. I live in California and three out of four angry motorists that have verbally assaulted me or acted out by swerving, stopping and all other kind of road rage stupidity have been BMW drivers. This person was enraged before he started in on the bicyclist. As shocking as it may seem once the perp exits there car it is best to be dismounted before they are on you. Your bicycle is an exultant self defense tool.
I knew a small stature lady cyclist that was confronted by a motorist and used her bike as a shield. Put the bike between her and the angry driver. Slowed him down just enough.
So yeah... dismount, and keep the bike between you and "angry."
Old 07-13-19, 05:30 PM
genec
genec

BTW that whole "do you know who I am" routine... he had no idea who the cyclist was... I used to ride with surgeons from Scripps Medical Center... (no special reason... we had the same route...)

A person on a bike can be anyone... but idiots like Mr. BMW thinks a car defines a person.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-13-19, 05:47 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Mental illness in the US is rampant. #1 health issue that gets no attention at all.
Old 07-13-19, 05:57 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
6 figures and a BMW make the pain go away, or so I've been told.....
Old 07-13-19, 06:12 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You didn't think that it was relevant to mention in the OP that you were not involved nor have any first hand knowledge of this incident?

But you are taking some sort of action to "encourage" others (perhaps others with no actual experience with the "guilty party") to make reports to the authorities. Is your OP and reposting somebody else's edited video and account of an incident the method by which you "encourage" people to make reports about this individual?
r/funatparties
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 07-13-19, 06:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
The more money a person has, the more they seem to be concerned about the most minute scratch in their paint.

It would be fitting if he would be charged with road rage, and end up walking with a suspended license.
Old 07-13-19, 07:28 PM
Rick

The video of this incident should be showed to the police and the news media in that area. That person being enraged to the point of irrational dangerous behavior is a threat to everybody on the rode when he is in that mode.
Likes For Rick:
Old 07-13-19, 07:32 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You have no idea if this is real or staged. It's You Tube, let the authorities involved deal with it. And seeing it on You Tube does not make you a witness. You can't testify against them, the plaintiff is not you. You have no sway in a court of law.

You Tube is a spectator sport. If they posted it to YT first then good luck.
Old 07-13-19, 07:32 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
Report his ass.
What about the rest of the body, lol
Old 07-13-19, 09:02 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I live and ride in So. Cal. In over 30 years of riding I’ve never had an issue with a BMW or. Benz driver.

OTOH, I’ve had issues with Mr. fat tub of lard driving a jacked up truck, or the occasional retirement home denizen driving a land yacht.

I agree with you, better to dismount before they get to you. Self-defense while still clipped to the bike is never fun.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 07-13-19, 09:03 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
You have no idea if this is real or staged. It's You Tube, let the authorities involved deal with it. And seeing it on You Tube does not make you a witness. You can't testify against them, the plaintiff is not you. You have no sway in a court of law.

You Tube is a spectator sport. If they posted it to YT first then good luck.
Agreed.

BTW, it will take much more than this outburst to get a lawyer disbarred.
Old 07-14-19, 02:46 AM
Rick

I live and ride in So. Cal. In over 30 years of riding I’ve never had an issue with a BMW or. Benz driver.
A moron in a green beamer near the I 10 interchange that is the San Bernardino/Loma Linda border insisted that I ride to the right edge of the freeway entrance lane instead of the right most straight thru lane. It started with me waiting behind a dozen cars at a light and ended with me taking sanctuary behind a power pole. No damage to my tandem. My left pedal did have a little green paint on it from the beamer. Three other beamers have done brake checks to me in the same area. Where I live in the high dessert I have had hardly a horn honk in almost 5 years.
Old 07-14-19, 06:12 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by bark_eater
Maybe not, this driver still seemed pretty deranged...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.