Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help identifying early to mid 80s Raleigh Racing? bike...

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-19, 05:44 PM
SeaOtter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I need help in identifying and, hopefully, getting a reasonable valuation on this Raleigh bike that I've inherited after my father's passing.

I've searched several Raleigh catalogs for this particular bike, using it's paint job as a reference and have not been able to find a match. The stamp on the bottom bracket appears (I'm certainly no expert in reading these) to make this frame an '86 (Serial No. appears to be SB7831 BTW1.86). However, one of the frame decals references a '78/'79 Tour de France victory with a date above that of 1980. Also on this decal is a mention of "Team TI Raleigh".

The seat tube decals reference the Reynolds 531 steel used and below that is what appears to be a Dutch retailer (possibly a reseller as it does not appear to be original to the bike?).

Hopeful for a little help. Thanks.
Old 08-18-19, 06:01 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Any pictures? What components are on the bike?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-18-19, 07:24 PM
SeaOtter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My apologies regarding the photos. I didn’t realize the restriction on uploading photos prior to the minimum 10 posts. I’ll remedy that shortly.

With regard to your question about components; dropouts, headset and hubs are Campy. Remainder (brakes, derailleurs) are Dura Ace - all period correct. I believe original parts should be Campy but, that Dura Ace was a personal choice of my father’s.
Old 08-20-19, 12:18 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the serial number, your frame was manufactured at the beginning of 1986 by Raleigh's Special Bicycle Development Umit based in Ilkeston. The SBDU division built the frames for Raleigh's professional teams, stock professional grade framesets and custom framesets. As such, there may be no "exact" match for you frameset. Typically, the SBDU framesets were named for the tubeset. As such, I'd simply call it a Raleigh (SBDU) 531 Pro, as it uses the Reynolds 531 Professional tubeset.