Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage mini tour: Koga Miyata meets Rocky Mountains

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-19, 12:41 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts

Some time ago I came across this helpful cycling map of Colorado and thought I should make some time for a short tour, being as though Colorado is a relatively short drive away. CDOT will even mail you a nice printed version of the map for free*

After putting together a couple routes I decided on a climby loop along low traffic roads that would take me up and over the Continental Divide, twice. I had recently finished building up a new (old) bike and have always wanted to sew a set of panniers so this was a chance to try out both, along with my being my first front load biased tour.

The bike
This is a 1989 Koga Miyata RandonneurExtra that I picked up a few months back. It's tall (63cm) with a short reach (57cm top tube), and is essentially a 1986 Miyata 1000 with chromed stays and fork, and a couple extra bits brazed on. More info on the bike here.

I made all of the bags with the exception of the long flap saddle bag which is a Carradice knock off from a Merry Sales brand called "Cardiff" that I picked up cheap. I've found that I can prop it up with my roll top under saddle bag and that will keep it from hitting my thighs. The panniers are new for this trip. 1000D Cordura exterior, floating nylon liner, reflective shock cord lacing front and back with rear bottle/tent pole pockets, roll top closure.

Day 0: Outside Buena Vista, CO
I parked along a county road in Pike National Forest and setup camp next to a stream and under a big tree the first night. Drank a beer, and got my things together to start riding bright and early the next morning.

Day 1: Buena Vista to Basalt via Independence Pass & Aspen (115mi)

I woke up, made coffee, locked the car and hit the road. Within the first 10mi I had deviated from my planned route up US-24, and I sure am glad I did. Behold CO 371, a lovely well maintained dirt road that follows the Arkansas River. The magnificent views would become a staple of the trip, but this road was a highlight none the less, even if there was only 10mi of it.

These holes blasted through the rock were exceptionally cool

After that it was a quick jaunt up US-24 on a nice wide shoulder to Twin Lakes, a small town at the base of the climb up to Independence Pass, as well as the intersection of the American Discovery Trail, the Colorado Trail, and the Continental Divide trail. Needless to say, it’s popular with through hikers and cyclists alike.

For the first hour I could count the number of cars that passed me on one hand, after that it it got quite busy, but drivers passed slowly and with a wide margin.

The switchbacks get tighter towards the top. At this point motorists weren’t just giving plenty of space, they were clapping and cheering. It was a lot of fun, and the view was fantastic.

But not as good as from the top! This is Independence Pass, the highest paved crossing of the Continental Divide at 12,095ft. The air is thin up here, I could hear it in my voice when repeatedly answering “I did” to the question “Did you ride your bike up here?” I had switched from my usual 12-27 cassette to a 12-36, and I sure was happy to sit and slowly spin up that climb, there wasn’t enough oxygen for standing, huffing and puffing. Also, yes, those are patches of snow.

The ride down was most excellent, I’m sure there was plenty of traffic, but I was doing at least the speed limit the entire time, so I wasn’t passed often.

Aspen was nothing to write home about, but it is the start of the Rio Grande Trail, a paved multi-use path that takes you all the way to Glenwood Springs

Last edited by fliplap; 08-23-19 at 12:01 PM.
Likes For fliplap:
Old 08-22-19, 12:42 AM
fliplap

Day 2: Basalt to Gypsum (40mi)

I’d planned this to be a short day since I’d be riding along the Colorado River and wanted to stop and enjoy it often. Unfortunately I had some business to take care of first: I’d somehow lost my light charging cable the day before!

Fortunately there was a Habitat for Humanity ReStore just outside of Glenwood Springs. $1 later I was on my way with a cable AND a really tasty donut

After stopping in Glenwood Springs for tacos I hit the bike path along the Colorado River. It doesn’t get a lot better than this. Except that it was really really hot out. With my Wahoo reading in excess of 90F, I stashed my bike in some bushes and immersed my fully clothed self in the frigidly cold river. It was wonderful. I threw on some dry shorts but otherwise continued my ride soaking wet and happy.

As you reach the confluence of the Colorado River and the Eagle River you leave the canyon and the landscape opens up

I spent the night camping outside of Gypsum which I absolutely can not recommend, there’s nothing there. If you keep riding past Edwards you’ll come across much nicer camp spots right next to the Eagle River.

Day 3: Gypsum to CO 371 via Tennessee Pass & Leadville (95mi)

As Gypsum had little to offer, and I had a long day planned, I rose early, scarfed down some food in bar form and got to pedaling. I hit Edwards, an oddly golf focused community, for 2nd breakfast: A breakfast burrito. I also grabbed a sandwich to go as it didn’t look like there would be much in the way of services between there and Leadville, 42mi and 3500ft of climbing away.

Turns out Minturn, 11mi on, is actually a really cute town. I’d suggest lunch there if you find yourself doing a similar route. Minturn is also where the fun gets started and the climbing begins, it’s 25mi from here to the top of Tennessee Pass at 10,424ft

At 9000ft I hit Gilman, an abandoned mining town, and EPA Superfund site. It’s a lot prettier if you don’t know it’s horrifically polluted. Sorry to be a spoiler.

Continuing on I hit the turnoff for Redcliff. I should’ve stopped to fill water in Redcliff, but it would’ve meant decending and re-climbing 600ft, and I wasn’t having it. Pushing on.

Still two miles from the top, and 10mi to Leadville from there and I’m running very low on water. Remember how hot it was on Day 2? Same deal on Day 3. It was hot, and steep and there’s no towns between here and Leadville, things are looking grim.

And then, ahead, in the distance, a service station sign! And another sign under it that says “CLOSED”. Sigh. But wait, what’s that other sign, off the road, with an arrow… “Cyclists: Good water ahead”. What? A mirage? No, an oasis

Whoever maintains this is a national hero. Two big jugs of water and shelves stocked with Gatorade and tri-flow. A miracle in the mountains.

Refreshed I continued up to Tennessee Pass at 10,424ft

In Leadville I stopped for a burger, topped off my water, including the Gatorade bottle and prepared for a relaxing cruise downhill along, according to the map CDOT sent me, a low traffic road with a 4ft+ shoulder

What followed would be in the top 5 most terrifying cycling experiences of my life. It turns out the CDOT printed map isn’t accurate and doesn’t match their online map. The shoulder on the road out of Leadville is ~6”, and traffic is heavy. I can’t recommend this road, and I definitely can’t recommend that horrid map. Use the online one. I didn’t stop for pictures here, clearly.

After 15 terrible miles I reconnected with CO 371, found a campsite on the side of the river and passed out.

Day 4: Finish up (20mi)

With only 20mi to go, I slept in, made oatmeal, and drank camp coffee next to the river. I then stopped for a larger coffee in Buena Vista before pedaling ~10mi up yet another road that was marked low traffic & wide shoulder, but was actually high traffic and no shoulder. Le sigh. I cut off the road early and took the dirt county roads back to my car, which had been helpfully guarded by a camping family that parked right next to it and was happy to see that I was ok.

Bonus: The beer I’d left in the cooler in the back was still cold!

*I would later learn that the printed map is terrifyingly inaccurate. So inaccurate I’d actually call the map dangerous and encourage CDOT to discontinue its distribution

Last edited by fliplap; 08-22-19 at 12:59 AM.
Likes For fliplap:
Old 08-22-19, 01:46 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Great route! I'm jealous.
Old 08-22-19, 01:52 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Wow, what a trip!
Nice pictures too. I learned something too: the Continental Divide. Never heared of it, but sounded logical once I hit that wiki-page.

And now I want a Koga Miyata Randonneur too
If I see one, I'd be sure to check it out. 60-62 cm should do for me.

Really nice story! This is _exactely_ why I want to do more roadtrips by bike. Fortunately my family goes along with that (for now at least).

Cheers!
Old 08-22-19, 06:03 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Wow!!! Congratulations!

Those vistas are amazing! I’m jealous!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-22-19, 06:29 AM
illenvillain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like an epic ride, very inspiring. Thank you for sharing!
Old 08-22-19, 06:47 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Inspirational!
Old 08-22-19, 07:26 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Cool write up, great trip.
Old 08-22-19, 07:42 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
From my cubicle, those pictures look great!
Old 08-22-19, 10:11 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Awesome! CO 371 by the river looks especially appealing. I'm jealous too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-22-19, 10:16 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Outstanding in many ways! Great bike, and your bags look professional! Front loading a touring bike makes so much sense, and shows you don't need a rear rack to carry camping gear.
Old 08-22-19, 11:36 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I am pretty spoiled for epic scenery here in the PNW but wow that is some gorgeous country OP thanks for sharing, how did your bike behave?
Old 08-22-19, 02:34 PM
fliplap

Originally Posted by ryansu
I am pretty spoiled for epic scenery here in the PNW but wow that is some gorgeous country OP thanks for sharing, how did your bike behave?
The bike was great, best behaved touring setup I've used. The front load doesn't wander up steep grades, and doesn't shimmy on fast descents.
Old 08-22-19, 03:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,797 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
The bike was great, best behaved touring setup I've used. The front load doesn't wander up steep grades, and doesn't shimmy on fast descents.
That's been my experience as well.

Did you get an overall loaded weight? Your kit looked fairly compact for camping.
Old 08-22-19, 03:07 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Great report, great bike. Just my preferred size, too. Thanks.

Old 08-22-19, 08:18 PM
fliplap

Originally Posted by gugie
That's been my experience as well.

Did you get an overall loaded weight? Your kit looked fairly compact for camping.
I didn't get an overall weight, but this was definitely a somewhat minimal setup as I was expecting to pass through many towns and resupply often. I also expected, and got, weather that didn't drop below 40F. Drive side pannier houses a 2p tent and sleeping pad, left has my sleeping bag and a couple small items. Saddlebag holds nothing but clothes. Rando bag has my cooking setup along with layers, gloves, and food.

Those panniers, owing to the hookless design, are also quite light: 10oz per side, compared to Ortlieb front rollers at 22oz each. Of course, they're not as waterproof as Ortliebs. They'll hold up to anything short of submersion, though I have rain covers for them too.
Old 08-22-19, 10:18 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Great stories! Awesome pictures! Really cool gear, homemade. 👍🏻👍🏻 Awesome ride report. Thanks!
Old 08-23-19, 12:11 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
You sir, appear to truly be living the good life! Thank you for sharing this glimpse of it here. The scenery, and views are stunning just in photograph. I can only just imagine actually being there.

And that Koga Miyata along with your panniers & rando bag... an all around beautifull build!
Old 08-23-19, 01:14 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Great write up and nice photos. Care to share the patterns for the bags?
Old 08-23-19, 01:46 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I'm currently going through the Koga-Miyata brochures and I think you would love/hate this later accessory to the RandonneurExtra (1991-1993):
Just like the RandonneurAlloy is the RandonneurExtra outfitted with Koga's unique "combi"-handlebar (patented) for even more comfort. World travellers don't mind a few grams less or more but mostly care about the stability of the frame and especially the selected parts and accessories.

Last edited by JaccoW; 08-23-19 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 06:22 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Thanks for sharing. This was a fantastic read, and the pictures were spectacular.
Old 08-23-19, 11:46 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Great read and pics. Im ready to back out, unfortunately it wont be in colorado.
Old 08-23-19, 11:49 AM
fliplap

Originally Posted by bwilli88
Great write up and nice photos. Care to share the patterns for the bags?
I don’t usually make a pattern as it’s actually more work to develop than the bags themselves. I usually start with a sketch, without specific dimensions, of what I want.

Then I make a cardboard mock-up to see how it sits on the bike. I’ll use that to come up with more refined measurements. Here’s the one for the panniers, as you can see, it’s held together with tape. I’ll trim it, resize it, etc, until it’s the size and shape I want.

From there I make a minimal prototype, usually from Tyvek, to see how the main compartment of the bag will pack, and maybe test out new construction methods. This prototype won’t have stiffeners, or zippers or straps. I mock those with packing tape as needed. I like Tyvek because it folds like paper, but sews like fabric, and you can actually use Tyvek bags for a few days to see how they work on the bike. Eg, checking for thigh contact. I’ll continue to refine my sketch from there. I don’t have a shot of the one I made for the panniers, but here’s a saddle bag I made for my wife’s bike.

Even when when I go to make the final bag, the sketch isn’t complete, but here it is, as you can see it lacks many measurements and doesn’t contain any information about construction steps or methods. It’s basically just notes for me. I continue adding to it even as I sew the final bags.

And then, finally, the finished bgs go for a test ride:

Last edited by fliplap; 08-23-19 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For fliplap:
Old 08-23-19, 12:32 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Nice work on the bags! Thanks for sharing the story on those.

Old 08-23-19, 12:37 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

You can safely put me in the "hate" camp.

Originally Posted by JaccoW
I'm currently going through the Koga-Miyata brochures and I think you would love/hate this later accessory to the RandonneurExtra (1991-1993):

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.