Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crazy New Bike Day

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crazy New Bike Day

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-19, 05:51 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
@markwesti, That is where I have seen that blue highlighting on the embossed lettering

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-22-19, 02:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,385 Times in 3,670 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I don't know; I only know I wouldn't try it for fear of breaking them. Whether the curves originated in the factory or elsewhere matters little to me; I'm just happy they're a bit different

DD
Understood, I have a couple of spare sets as they are way not my thing. The rear shifter on the 58 Paramount was a bent one that I swapped out and you may be able to help as I am not sure if the replacement is correct, didn't scrutinize and don't know very much anyway. Pretty sure the ones that came on it were original so would like to straighten and get it back on if I can one day. They will stay on this until I maybe swap out the stem/bars and maybe Campy bar ends.

Can't imagine it would be easy but success curving some might lead to the technique to straighten as well. I've been a pseudo (hack) fabricator as well as mechanic/technician all my life, 35 yrs professional auto, drag racing motorcycles and bicycles since about 12, and have persuaded many, many things to conform to my misguided plan with mostly success, patience is key as with many things. I plan to try the curving at some point but promise to not destroy any good parts as I adhere to a strong and fast "do no harm" credo as no part should be compromised in any way unless absolutely necessary as a last resort for the much greater good.
Old 08-22-19, 02:21 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I've been following this post from afar, but the final product is incredible. Well done!
Old 08-22-19, 10:33 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Understood, I have a couple of spare sets as they are way not my thing. The rear shifter on the 58 Paramount was a bent one that I swapped out and you may be able to help as I am not sure if the replacement is correct, didn't scrutinize and don't know very much anyway. Pretty sure the ones that came on it were original so would like to straighten and get it back on if I can one day. They will stay on this until I maybe swap out the stem/bars and maybe Campy bar ends.

Can't imagine it would be easy but success curving some might lead to the technique to straighten as well. I've been a pseudo (hack) fabricator as well as mechanic/technician all my life, 35 yrs professional auto, drag racing motorcycles and bicycles since about 12, and have persuaded many, many things to conform to my misguided plan with mostly success, patience is key as with many things. I plan to try the curving at some point but promise to not destroy any good parts as I adhere to a strong and fast "do no harm" credo as no part should be compromised in any way unless absolutely necessary as a last resort for the much greater good.
Bring what you got to Anacortes on Sunday - I want to see these spare sets. Might shed more light...

DD
Old 08-22-19, 10:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by camjr
I've been following this post from afar, but the final product is incredible. Well done!
Thank you! It sure rides incredibly, and I think it turned out not-too-shabby in the looks department, too

DD
Old 08-22-19, 11:39 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Bring what you got to Anacortes on Sunday - I want to see these spare sets. Might shed more light...

DD
Uhhh.... I'll try, you're assuming I'm somewhat organized

On top of that, so many projects 1/2 done or started and tonite started a major kitchen remodel that I was not at all prepared for but the guy finally showed up last nite and is ready to get started now so I tore down the 80's dropped ceiling with fluorescent lights after work so he can get started. Next is clear the attic so he can run some wiring and clear a path to the breaker panel for him, was so not ready for this crap as major demo isn't scheduled till Sept.12.
Old 08-23-19, 01:33 AM
bfuser191509248

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
I have trouble keeping up with all of the threads around here, and I only just opened this one tonight. What a great way to spend a late evening (I read it slowly, and savored all of it in one sitting). I'm still very much a bike novice, but that only makes it all the more fun to learn as I'm following along with a tale like this. Believe it or not, I owned a Bianchi from around 1975 to 1995. However, even though it had some Campy parts, it was an entry level model (a Strada) that I doubt anyone here would even want to talk about. I haven't seen one mentioned or pictured in the forums since I joined, anyway.

I have always appreciated the craftsmanship of high-end, high-quality products in general, and the subject of this thread is certainly in that category. I love vintage and collectible items for their style and history (gleaming Campy parts, the classic celeste... what's not to love?). I really appreciate it when people go the extra mile when it comes to the finer details of a project like this; and I really love it when people take the time and the make the effort to provide a lot of good-to-great photographs along with well-written commentary. I'm also very visually oriented, a big fan of great industrial design and art. This bike is a work of art.

So thanks (belatedly) DD, and to everyone else who shared their knowledge here. I doubt I'll ever graduate to a bike this fine, but I really do appreciate it for what it is (except for the part where I won't be riding it).
Likes For bfuser191509248:
Old 08-23-19, 01:49 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
I recognize the Vittoria weight weenie composite pedals..... some people look for those for their uber weenie projects!
Old 08-23-19, 06:18 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
@JimR56, welcome to the C&V Forum, stick around the place for a bit, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the types and levels of bikes discussed here. Entry level bikes were/are gateway drugs for many of us here. And, we'll be more than happy to encourage you onward with getting a nice C&V ride of any level set up and rolling.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-23-19, 06:34 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
I ended up getting the Bianchi after all! I had almost given up hope in this thread: A little help?

The seller contacted me back after the initial hiccups and sent some great pics that gave me all the information I needed to undertake the journey from Bothell to Port Orchard. The story of the bike is nothing special (though I think the bike is), but my trip was anything but uneventful!

I drove down starting around 1345 yesterday and braved the traffic - which seems to be getting worse all the time - and the heat over the course of 3.5 hours to arrive at the seller's place. A big guy who bore a striking resemblance to Mick Fleetwood answered my knock and took me out to the garage to see the bike. The only history I know about it is the PO to the seller owed the seller $1200 and gave him the bike instead. Seller was asking for $1000, and had already told me he wouldn't budge on the price. That's why I wanted detailed pics before I drove all that way!

Seatpost, however, was stuck. I guess that was not really surprising as it was slammed, but we dropped in some WD40 and PB Blaster. I'm going to leave it be for a few days, but will have to revisit it. Good thing there are lots of tutorials here on how to free a stuck seatpost!

Anyway, when he reached for a screwdriver to pry the ears apart I stopped him and told him not to worry about it and pulled out my cash and counted out $1000. AFAIK, that's the most I've ever paid outright for a complete bike. I pulled both wheels, installed my chainkeeper and put everything in the trunk for the return trip. Instead of retracing my route, I took 16 to Bremerton and then 3 to Kingston, with the idea that traffic on the Kitsap peninsula at 1800 would be less than the craziness on the other side going through Tacoma and Seattle. Just before getting to the ferry dock, I felt a bump/kind of a knock right beneath my feet - it came from the car, not something I ran over. Immediately the ABS and Brake idiot lights went on, and the battery gauge needle was dropping. I tried the brakes: fine. Paid my fare and parked in my row for the next ferry. But now the car was running rough. And I was worried about the battery now.

About 10 minutes before the ferry arrived I gave the key a twist and - nothing. My month-old battery had somehow drained in that short drive from the initial "bump" to the dock. The lot attendant jumped me just before loading, but it only got a little ways before dying on me. I had to be pushed onboard by a tractor they use for such issues (I wasn't the only one that day; a couple cars and two large RVs also had to be pushed/towed off the ferry before I came along). They did the same for me on the other side, but could only push me to a waiting area on the pier. The car would not start after trying to jump it again on the pier, so I called Roadside Assistance. That was an adventure all on it's own, but suffice to say that by 2230 the guy with the tow truck showed up, loaded up my lemon and drove me across town to drop my car off at the local garage. I unloaded the bike, put the wheels on and prepared to gingerly walk the bike the half-mile to my place; the tires were not up to pressure, but then I realized, hey, this came with a Silca pump! Doh. Pumped them up and walked home with no issues. I finally walked in the door at 2350.

After a shower and a relaxant (hey, I'd had a long day!), I spent some time cleaning up the bike. It's been sitting, but not in a bad way. But there was crustiness to clean up, and I'm not done yet.

It is a Supercorsa or Superleggera. No model name shows up anywhere, however. Two Piaggio decals on either side of the seat tube, Bianchi decals in blue with gold shadowing, crest logo on head tube, Columbus decal between the gear levers and a small triangular Modolo decal where the Columbus decal would normally be. The paint looks in super shape as does the chrome; the overall look is used but not abused. For example, it doesn't have that typical paint chip on the downtube from a brake caliper smacking the frame.

Components are mostly Campagnolo Super Record. Cinelli 1R black anodized stem mated to a Cinelli Campione del Mondo 63-40 with the later logo. This was on the top of the bar on the drive side:

Other components are Modolo Professional brakes, Phil Wood hubs and BB and Vittoria Superlight pedals with steel axles. I might try them out for fun, but they will probably go to Ebay. A Brooks Professional Select topped the seatpost. Serial on the bottom of the BB shell is 4 - 81 - 467, so it looks like it was built the month before Gilles Villeneuve won the 1981 Monaco Grand Prix.

I know, I know - where are all the pics? They're coming. I'm down to one camera for the time being and it's a crappy one, so my first pics didn't come out well at all. I'll be trying again this afternoon as I clean this bike up a bit and see if the post will come out. The good news is when I bang on the saddle sideways, the post and saddle rotate, so it's just a matter of getting it up and out. Whew!

So, why did I spend a G on a bike with a stuck seatpost? Well, several reasons. For one, I knew it would eventually come out if I followed BF directions. For another, I've paid more for paint. For yet another, it cost as much to get a lightbulb for one of my Audi's headlamps. And lastly? This was my grail bike! What good is money if you don't spend it? And it was my birthday a week ago, too, so happy birthday to me

I'm excited to get this on the road, but I have a bit of work to do. I'll take my time. It will be a fun project!

Lastly, I decided before I bought it that I would do an N-1 even as I added this bike to the collection. Because it's the smallest of my bikes and because the colorway is nearly identical, the Somec is going to be dismantled and sold. In fact, it appears I may already have a buyer for the frame. I'll need the seatpost (because I'm sure to wrack the post that's currently in the frame) and the pedals for a rider, and will use the Concor saddle as well as the clincher wheelset currently on it. The wheelset that came with the Bianchi is a pair of Ambrosio Synthesis Super Professional tubular rims mated to the aforementioned Phil hubs - mated, unfortunately, with what appear to be galvanized spokes (!).

Anyhoo...

DD
Love the story as much as the bike.
Coincidentally I have a similar model with nice story of trip from Dallas to San Antonio for pickup *and* same kind of stuck seatpost.
Let me know your solution as mine is still frozen and have not taken to a LBS for help.
Old 08-23-19, 12:27 PM
bfuser191509248

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
@JimR56, welcome to the C&V Forum, stick around the place for a bit, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the types and levels of bikes discussed here. Entry level bikes were/are gateway drugs for many of us here. And, we'll be more than happy to encourage you onward with getting a nice C&V ride of any level set up and rolling.

Bill
Thanks very much, Bill. I do plan to stick around, whether or not I ever actually get another road bike (there's a possibility that I might eventually want another, that I would feel comfortable modifying/personalizing). I have an ongoing topic of my own here about my current bike, and my interest in the broader subject of the company that made it (50 years later, another Mercier).
Likes For bfuser191509248:
Old 08-23-19, 12:49 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by joesch
Coincidentally I have a similar model with nice story of trip from Dallas to San Antonio for pickup *and* same kind of stuck seatpost.
Let me know your solution as mine is still frozen and have not taken to a LBS for help.
PB Blaster is the ticket, got that one unstuck and recently got a Dura-Ace 7400? stem out of an Eddy Merckx 10th Anniversary for me. It was the internal bolt type that you cannot tap on as the wedge it trapped even when loose.

I was peeing myself over this as you can't tell if the wedge is loose when the stem is in place. Started applying PB, after several days no luck, stem mounted upside down in the vise, 2x4 through the fork, wouldn't budge, several more days and Voila, came right out, no wrestling, couldn't believe it. initially went in from the top, you have to be careful of the paint and wipe off excess as you go, once I put it in the vise it was upside down so put it in from the bottom.

Seatpost can be a pain, you have to remove the crank/bottom bracket to get it in from the bottom, patience is key and I don't think many LBS have enough in stock.

Only if you're at least %110 they can and will take proper care with this would I let them tackle it, time is money, they can be short on both of those as well.
Old 08-23-19, 01:11 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Uhhh.... I'll try, you're assuming I'm somewhat organized
I understand - not everyone follows the same "rules" when it comes to storing away the things we love

However, I would like to see pics at some point so I could compare the levers. Much like a number of things Campy produced, not everything ended up in the catalogs. The curved levers seem a short-run kind of thing if indeed the factory produced them in this form.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 08-23-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 01:23 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by JimR56
I have trouble keeping up with all of the threads around here, and I only just opened this one tonight. What a great way to spend a late evening (I read it slowly, and savored all of it in one sitting). I'm still very much a bike novice, but that only makes it all the more fun to learn as I'm following along with a tale like this. Believe it or not, I owned a Bianchi from around 1975 to 1995. However, even though it had some Campy parts, it was an entry level model (a Strada) that I doubt anyone here would even want to talk about. I haven't seen one mentioned or pictured in the forums since I joined, anyway.

I have always appreciated the craftsmanship of high-end, high-quality products in general, and the subject of this thread is certainly in that category. I love vintage and collectible items for their style and history (gleaming Campy parts, the classic celeste... what's not to love?). I really appreciate it when people go the extra mile when it comes to the finer details of a project like this; and I really love it when people take the time and the make the effort to provide a lot of good-to-great photographs along with well-written commentary. I'm also very visually oriented, a big fan of great industrial design and art. This bike is a work of art.

So thanks (belatedly) DD, and to everyone else who shared their knowledge here. I doubt I'll ever graduate to a bike this fine, but I really do appreciate it for what it is (except for the part where I won't be riding it).
Thank you, Jim. It's my opinion that these types of threads provide info for people new to this kind of thing as well as entertainment for those that have been around and want to check out a bike they've not got/not often seen. There are a few exquisite Bianchis owned by some of our forum members that I tried to aspire to when building this one. I'm glad the thread provided some entertainment to you, a fellow lover of fine bicycles and decent photography of same. I don't know about my writing (I've always thought it lacked more than a little "something"), but if you are a fan of industrial design and art, you might want to check out this thread: Colnago Project

We were all novices once - boy, was I ever! Time and experience changes everything. I, too, hope you stick around and you never know, you might well find yourself sharing a top-o-the-line build with us one day

DD
Old 08-23-19, 01:26 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I recognize the Vittoria weight weenie composite pedals..... some people look for those for their uber weenie projects!
I thought they were some crappy place-holder pedal until I looked them up on Velobase. I had to go through every pedal page until I discovered what they were!

I listed them on Ebay yesterday. Some clown offered me $10 (opening bid was set at $20); I know they aren't premium because they're missing the dustcaps, but come on...

I wasn't even gonna try using them - I like lightweight parts, but not under my feet

DD
Old 08-23-19, 01:28 PM
merziac

I understand - not everyone follows the same "rules" when it comes to storing away the things we love

However, I would like to see pics at some point so I could compare the levers. Much like a number of things Campy produced, not everything ended up in the catalogs. The curved levers seem a short-tun kind of thing if indeed the factory produced them in this form.

DD
Well I did manage to make one rule recently that I have been sticking to, everything gets bagged in a ziplock to protect it and make for the pile not being such a massive jumble, been able to sift through things much easier since doing that, found one of the sets of shifters so its working.
Old 08-23-19, 01:33 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by joesch
Cool - thank you!

Does your stuck post move at all? If so, you might not have a huge dilemma ahead of you. Just squirt in some of that PB Blaster around the top of the seatpost and let it soak in. The PO and I did that the day I got the bike, then I got some more Blaster for my own use. I added some more the following day, and after about 1.5 days of letting it soak in (from the top only, tho the original intention was to have removed the BB and put in more Blaster from underneath, too) I gave it another go.

I placed a rag under the BB shell to protect it, another couple on the chainstays to protect them, then stepped on the stays with my left foot. I grabbed the saddle/post combo (leaving the saddle on gives plenty of leverage), began twisting and when the twisting suddenly became really easy, I pulled upwards. Took about 20 seconds.

Hopefully that's all there is to it. If not, and yours is REALLY stuck, there are a number of threads here that "step it up" when it comes to the removal process. Let's hope you don't have to go there!

Good luck

DD
Old 08-23-19, 01:47 PM
bfuser191509248

Thanks DD. I will be checking out that Colnago thread today!

A bit of related trivia. Although my parents moved down here in 1950, they hailed from Tacoma and Seattle. We used to visit relatives up there every summer back in the 50's and 60's, and I have great memories of riding the ferries (and many other things). And to tie this in with art and industrial design, my favorite was the beautiful Kalakala.

Old 08-23-19, 02:11 PM
merziac

DD
Just thought and reread my post, think I mispoke, the shifter on the Pmount was bent from yanking on it.
Old 08-23-19, 09:17 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by JimR56
Thanks DD. I will be checking out that Colnago thread today!

A bit of related trivia. Although my parents moved down here in 1950, they hailed from Tacoma and Seattle. We used to visit relatives up there every summer back in the 50's and 60's, and I have great memories of riding the ferries (and many other things). And to tie this in with art and industrial design, my favorite was the beautiful Kalakala.

I've lived up here since 2003 so a lot of the Kalakala woes were front-page news while everyone was deciding what to do with it. Finally they decided to scrap it in 2015

DD
Old 08-23-19, 09:18 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Just thought and reread my post, think I mispoke, the shifter on the Pmount was bent from yanking on it.
Well, yeah - that'll do it, especially if it's been milled for lightness. I've even seen a couple of those snap off, and the lightened versions on my orange Colnago Super are iffy at best. I'm always super-careful when I change gears on that bike.

DD
Old 08-24-19, 01:11 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Got a couple pics today. Testing on the cobbles in Redmond:

Almost got nailed by a bus not 10 minutes after shooting this pic:

Still here

I'm really over the moon about this bike's riding manners. It's simply fantastic, no matter what I throw at it.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-26-19, 09:00 AM
bfuser191509248

I've lived up here since 2003 so a lot of the Kalakala woes were front-page news while everyone was deciding what to do with it. Finally they decided to scrap it in 2015

DD
Yeah, I read about that. They never should have sent it to Alaska.