Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why Expensive Commuter bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why Expensive Commuter bikes?

Old 08-23-19, 06:39 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
After 12 years of commuting, recreational riding and mountain biking my expensive bikes are so beat up that nobody would pay any attention to them. Most cheap department store bikes look more attractive to a thief than my expensive LBS bikes.
however, this only proves that shiny stuff isn't always better.

no matter how beat up your LBS bike is it will still ride better than that department store bike.
Old 08-23-19, 06:41 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by caloso
Same. Sometimes I feel fancy and leave my race wheels on.

1 nut say 9/16 th and that rack comes apart. and your bike walks away.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-23-19, 07:00 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Phamilton
Would you consider my $25 and $45 commuters to be cruddy bikes? They’re old, sure, and not fashionable but as comfortable, reliable, and safe as any other commuter. The touring bike is just as fast as any other commuter I’ve seen. They both have powerful brakes and good handling. They fit as well as any bike could, and can handle as much abuse as anything while carrying as much weight/cargo as anything. I know I got a relatively good deal on both of them, but not a steal. Lots of people get plenty of better deals. And neither one of them would ever cost half of even $750 in any used market. A new bike is not a prerequisite for bike commuting. If theft is of any concern, buying a new bike for commuting is sort of a waste of money. One might even argue that the basic maintenance and upkeep costs on a bike actually used for commuting, it would be foolish to spend money on any new bike used for that purpose. If one were to be me,
that is.

Edit: I think your bike is nice, why don’t you think mine is/are nice, too. I guess that’s the idea. I’ve never claimed to be mature.
let us start with the last bit first. Let us claim to be honest. $45 for a trek 700 in working order is rare. Most of them that are ride able still hit for $100 or better. and even then they'll still need tires, or brake pads etc...
for example I paid $75 for a similar frame (bike) but only wanted the frame. I dropped $600 on it and it is better than most $800 hybrids. However It is nothing when compared to my above entry road bikes.

so the Trek 700 might not be a cruddy bike, but it isn't no super awesome bike either. as far as abuse? who willingly abuses their stuff? not me!

If theft is a concern.... I probably won't be riding /commuting. but that has nothing to do with my bike getting stolen. It has to do with I wouldn't live in a **** hole. I mean looking at San Frans new approach/thoughts/attitudes to rising crime rates, I definitely wont be going to any city anytime soon (especially that city).

So on the flip side if commuters are attractive to the earth, less pollution, etc.... then fighting crime would be a higher priority for some cities, yes? Nope not on this planet..... they don't think that way.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-23-19, 07:30 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10145 Post(s)
Liked 5,834 Times in 3,141 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
OK, so these threads always have the same arc, newbie posts something about not understanding how people spend more or less than their price point, we all jump in to say it doesn't matter what other people think, but here's how I look at it. Then someone takes issue with how someone else looks at it, and then it boils down to a 4 person slob vs. snob debate for about 150 posts.
So? People are still reading traditional novels and listening to the blues and concerti. The art is in what you can do within the constraints of the genre.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-23-19, 07:41 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Would you consider my $25 and $45 commuters to be cruddy bikes? They’re old, sure, and not fashionable but as comfortable, reliable, and safe as any other commuter. The touring bike is just as fast as any other commuter I’ve seen. They both have powerful brakes and good handling. They fit as well as any bike could, and can handle as much abuse as anything while carrying as much weight/cargo as anything. I know I got a relatively good deal on both of them, but not a steal. Lots of people get plenty of better deals. And neither one of them would ever cost half of even $750 in any used market. A new bike is not a prerequisite for bike commuting. If theft is of any concern, buying a new bike for commuting is sort of a waste of money. One might even argue that the basic maintenance and upkeep costs on a bike actually used for commuting, it would be foolish to spend money on any new bike used for that purpose. If one were to be me,
that is.

Edit: I think your bike is nice, why don’t you think mine is/are nice, too. I guess that’s the idea. I’ve never claimed to be mature.

I never said anything about your bikes or what I think of them.

If you think your bike is cruddy then it is cruddy. If you think it is nice then it is nice. That you enjoy it is all that matters and all I need to know.

I'm being sincere. What each of us consider cruddy is up to us, not anyone else.

Be safe.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-23-19, 07:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
I've been enjoying commuting on my $90 CL find, a mid 70s Sekine SHS 271. It has a tange frameset (likely no. 3 tubing) and lots of early Shimano stuff (titlist, tourney, 333 hubs, etc.). I like the way it rides and looks. When the weather gets crummy, I like my 1987 Stumpjumper Comp converted to drops. I paid $125 for the bike and more obviously to do the drop bar conversion. When the snow hits, I turn to my 1992 Bridgestone BB 1; I paid $15 for the frame, HS, bar, and a few other pieces.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-23-19 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 07:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
IIRC, he has secure, indoor bike parking at his place of employment. Secure as in behind a locked door.
Old 08-23-19, 07:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
After they walk past the security guard, go in through a key card door, up an elevator, walk through the garage, and into the bike room through a second keycard door, sure. And you’d have to carry it on to the elevator or down the stairs with the u-lock through the rear wheel and triangle.

I suppose it’s possible, but not likely.

Last edited by caloso; 08-23-19 at 08:01 AM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-23-19, 08:01 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Ride whatever seems suitable.

I left my beater unlocked for almost a week by mistake, nobody touched it.

Rental bikes dominate here, no market for petty theft any more.

I can only imagine how low my social credit score must be.
Old 08-23-19, 08:08 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
OK, so these threads always have the same arc, newbie posts something about not understanding how people spend more or less than their price point, we all jump in to say it doesn't matter what other people think, but here's how I look at it. Then someone takes issue with how someone else looks at it, and then it boils down to a 4 person slob vs. snob debate for about 150 posts.
And then without fail somebody chimes in with a simplistic description of how threads generally play out on discussion forums, all of them. That’s my favorite part. It’s what keeps me coming back for more. Thank you.

Last edited by Phamilton; 08-23-19 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 08:14 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by caloso
After they walk past the security guard, go in through a key card door, up an elevator, walk through the garage, and into the bike room through a second keycard door, sure. And you’d have to carry it on to the elevator or down the stairs with the u-lock through the rear wheel and triangle.

I suppose it’s possible, but not likely.
that's a lot of lock for all of that then....

and my point remains the same. your locks are pointless locked like that.
Old 08-23-19, 08:24 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by gammy13
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of use cases for expensive commuter bikes ($1000+).

I live in NYC and have Cannondale Quick that I paid $750 for and that was a bit of a stretch for me. But I see these manufacturers selling $1500-$2000 bikes for commuting. To me, an ideal commuter bikes is discrete (drab colors, not flashy, etc.), capable - but without the expense of high-end/name brand components, and most of all - relatively cheap! Because there's a good chance it would get stolen.

Anyone have thoughts? Who's buying these things?
And whose sock puppet are you?
Old 08-23-19, 08:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
So? People are still reading traditional novels and listening to the blues and concerti. The art is in what you can do within the constraints of the genre.
And then without fail somebody chimes in with a simplistic description of how threads generally play out on discussion forums, all of them. That’s my favorite part. It’s what keeps me coming back for more. Thank you.

This is great! I'll leave you two to sort out whether you think you are Hemingway or if this is Lincoln/Douglas.

I'm out of this thread. This isn't a genre--it's the 14th sequel to the movie Airport.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-19, 09:09 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
If a commuter bike is ones primary transportation for work and saves you from buying a 2'nd recent model car for $10,000+ that might costs another $300 - 400 a month to operate and insure, I Don't consider $1,000 - 2,000 US (with accessories) and just $10/month for maintenance to be excessive for a new bike. A bit more then I would spend though considering you don't have, at least from Giant if you want a safe, Reliable and comfortable new bike.

Like this FastRoad with Disc brakes, Rack and Fender mounts for $765 US.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fastroad-sl-3

Or this Escape city which includes a rear Rack and Fenders for $710 US.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/es...ty-disc-3-2020

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-23-19 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-23-19, 09:28 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

This is great! I'll leave you two to sort out whether you think you are Hemingway or if this is Lincoln/Douglas.

I'm out of this thread. This isn't a genre--it's the 14th sequel to the movie Airport.
No need. Clearly I am Hemingway. And I respect a person who recognizes being outclassed.
Old 08-23-19, 09:38 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Once you achieve the true zen of commuting, your bike disappears beneath you, making cost irrelevant.
Old 08-23-19, 09:47 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Once you achieve the true zen of commuting, your bike disappears beneath you, making cost irrelevant.
True!

And for some, true commuting zen is only achieved when one has the most expensive commuting bike anybody has heard of. For some, it's only achieved when one has the cheapest commuting bike anybody has heard of. I'm sure there are others, but I've never met one in real life and this thread isn't about them.
Old 08-23-19, 10:12 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
And as often happens, our seagull OP hasn't even logged back in after crapping out this pointless thread...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-23-19, 10:42 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
And as often happens, our seagull OP hasn't even logged back in after crapping out this pointless thread...
This is a great thread. Classic. Old school. I love it. Why isn't it in commuting sub? That would be icing on the crap cake.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 08-23-19, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
I buy old steel (usually Japanese) frames of the early '80s for commuters. They work very well, handle fenders, often ride quite decently, are not attractive to thieves and if it dies a sudden death, it doesn't break my heart. I'm probably out $100 for a new frame and $40 for specific parts.

Many of my jobs over my working days had secure parking but that was not the case shopping, doing errands, etc. on the way home. Being able to park that bike next to more attractive bikes was good theft insurance.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-23-19, 10:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

No need. Clearly I am Hemingway. And I respect a person who recognizes being outclassed.
Careful with that being Hemingway biit--I heard it doesn't end well.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-19, 10:53 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Careful with that being Hemingway biit--I heard it doesn't end well.
Ok that's clever, but you said you were leaving.
Old 08-23-19, 11:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ok that's clever, but you said you were leaving.
I lied. Sue me.
Old 08-23-19, 11:15 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

For $800 American, you can get a decent Buick with leather seats and dual zone climate control. In Indiana. Vintage steel bikes are indeed comfortable and great for commuting, but not VINTAGE BUICK great.
Old 08-23-19, 11:30 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Sorry/not sorry about the rant.

The touring bike is actually a really nice bike. There is nothing cruddy about it. I know the cruddy comment wasn’t directed at me or my bikes.

But I do think it’s foolish to spend much money on a bike you intend to destroy, especially by buying a new one you’re going to instantly lose the resale value of. I think it’s foolish to buy new cars, too.

But I don’t judge people who do foolish things. Everybody does foolish things. Wasting money just isn’t my own brand of foolish. I am way more understanding toward people who do foolish things who also happen to ride bicycles.

So whatever bike you commute on, and whatever you paid or didn’t pay for it - I like your bike. If for no other reason than you commute on it. If it has a bell on it, I REALLY like it.

Getting a good deal on a good quality used bike for commuting simply requires patience and commitment. A person lacking those qualities probably not a good fit for bike commuting.

End rant.
You don't judge people yet this is nothing but a post passing judgment on anyone that doesn't agree with you as foolish, stupid and lazy. I don't know you but I have passed judgment on you with this single post.
Likes For Wolfhaven:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.