Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need the cheapest, strongest and most basic bike for third world countries

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Need the cheapest, strongest and most basic bike for third world countries

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 04:35 PM
philgib

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want the quad system to be as cheap as possible.

I want the raised money to be as efficient as possible, that is I want to be able to purchase as many quads as possible with the same money.

Then I do not want to bring in a product which would be worth too much money. Beneficiaries would create a grey market and sell it straight away instead of using it !

Raising money is only one side of an NGO, making sure that products are really used is also very important.

Last edited by philgib; 08-21-08 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 05:34 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by philgib
- I have just used it to go to the restaurant on the beach at lunch time from my house. Kids and dog love it. My daughter was reading the newspaper's gossips while my wife and I were pedaling. Life is unfair sometimes.

how about a picture?
Old 08-21-08, 06:33 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quads are cool
A quad can make an excellent family car replacement for local journeys.

Perhaps slightly tongue in cheek, but I would love to have this in my driveway
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-21-08, 06:44 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have you seen this patent from 1981?

https://www.google.com/patents?id=pi8...BAJ&dq=4290620

And for further interest.......

https://www.google.com/patents?id=rz0...BAJ&dq=4290620
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 08-21-08, 07:51 PM
bikinpolitico
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try contacting the framebuilder Doug Fattic. He's doing a one week class this fall on building basic transportation bikes based on bikes he build for his minister in the Ukraine.
Old 08-22-08, 09:12 AM
philgib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sianelle,

Thank you very much for the patent link, which shares the same spirit. It is intellectually VERY exciting to see that someone else spent sometimes on the same concept.
Old 08-23-08, 08:16 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have heard from others, that theis Indian Co. makes a pretty good bike at a good price. They will give quotes by e mail, too.
https://www.herocycles.com/
Old 08-24-08, 08:33 PM
philgib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a bit puzzled about Indian bikes. I would tend to think that India has maybe millions of bike, and because street conditions are not so comfortable, bikes have to be strong. Not fast, not light, but strong.

Now some people here say that they are mere copy of 1905 european bikes with very bad quality accessories.

Than I look at the local prices : 30 dollars ! If you compare it to the local monthly salary and local labor force cost, that is not such a surprising bike and it does not have to be bad just because of the price.

Can just any happy Hero bike owner mention a specific road model made of steel which has a very solid chassis and wheels, and coaster break ?

Thanks a lot

Philippe
Old 08-24-08, 09:12 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride an Indian built 'Hercules' and it is just about bombproof

https://www.ticyclesindia.com/productmenu.asp?pid=29
Old 09-10-08, 05:59 AM
gofischer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at these guys https://www.worldbike.org/about-us
Old 09-11-08, 05:23 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would have to say your best bet is to abandon the side by side bike/vehicle and go the route of the Kona Africa Bike, or the other projects that are already going on and have products you can buy.

Even building trailers would be a huge benifit. There is a reason why bicycles work in these areas and why reinvent the wheel right?
Old 09-14-08, 08:20 PM
lz4005
coasterbrakelockup

Bikes: surly steamroller w/coaster brake, electra single speed cruiser, specialized rockhopper commuter, no-name single speed folder, 700c ultimate wheel, 24" unicycle, specialized bmx lsd, single seat single speed huffy tandem, pink upsidedown parade bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the goal here is to get two indestructible off-road cargo bikes connected (but easily separable) as a quad for under $150 retail. Less than $75 each. Not going to happen.

Last edited by lz4005; 09-14-08 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-14-08, 10:31 PM
Jerry in So IL
Rabbit Habbit!

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to agree with th eposter who said go for a trailer and bike. Far more user friendly, ready available, and easier to mantain.

Jerry
Old 09-15-08, 08:12 AM
philgib

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys, this is nice to have your opinion about whether my project is fine or not, but my real question in this thread is : have you heard about any very strong and very cheap bike, no matter the weight ?

Sianelle please,

I like your "bombproof" BSA Hercules. It seems to be worth about 75 USD on Internet. Have you noticed any weakness, especially on the brake ? How long or how many km have you been riding it ? Thank you again.

Philippe
Old 09-19-08, 07:18 AM
wmhguthrie

Bikes: fully loaded 1990's Klein Mantra and Cannondale mtbs, my beater Jamis Earth Cruiser, and my brand new better-not-touch-that-one Worksman cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worksman

I bought a new-from-the-factory Worksman a year ago and can report on it if you'd like.
Old 09-19-08, 02:21 PM
feba
Micro Gameboyist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1- Undestructible so that the vehicle reputations holds well and I can convince more people :-)
2- Steel looks mandatory as I have to weld the bikes into a chassis. Any chassis crack will be also easier to repair by any local welder.
3- Super cheap. Third world foundation budget...
4- Easy single-speed (because of heavy cargo) with free-wheel system so that one biker can pedal but the other biker can rest or pedal at will.
5- Braking when pedaling backwards (Are coaster brakes the same ?)
6- comfortable enough in the bumps of African roads.
7- Will adapt tyres to user's roads.
7a- What would be the strongest tyres for bumpy road ?
7b- Then for countryside dusty roads ?
7c- Then for desert / beach ?
8- Woman style frame, i.e. no high middle bar which prevent older people to lift the leg to ride it.
9- 26" wheels
10- Soft saddle

?
Old 09-20-08, 04:39 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hello,

I am starting my own foundation providing to third world countries custom vehicles made of 2 bikes welded together parallelly so that it can be driven/pedalled by one or two by people and still load LOTS of heavy stuff or passengers from one village to another.

I have runned this vehicle on a 2-bikes chassis a lot these last weeks, on the hill, on the beach, on the street, wherever I could go, super loaded, empty, etc... It is great but I bought two very cheap bikes (130 dollars each in Mexico) and all the parts are falling apart (brakes, derailleurs, wheels...)
I have decided to strip the bike from any accessories, not to make it lighter, but to make it much less complicated to maintain in poor countries No speed changes. No brakes levers. Always running ....
No offense, but you should probably go to the target countries and look at whatever bikes they already have, and use that bike. Stuff will break and they're going to need to get parts.

If they're poor people in Africa and the bikes you sent were made in Mexico (for example), how's that going to work out? They'll not be able to afford to order those parts, and your charity bikes are going to end up junked pretty soon I fear.

----

You might even want to spend a year or two in the target country, making and selling your bike-cars (perhaps at below cost, just to get a small number out and see how they do) and see if they are really as useful as you'd hoped. They might work perfect in your testing, but there could be some reason they don't work out at their destination--and you may never see or hear about that if you're sitting a continent away.
~
Old 09-20-08, 05:14 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I watched a documentary not too long ago on PBS where a food relief agency in Africa was using the locals with bikes in rural places to deliver ~175 pounds of food to even remoter outlying areas with war destroyed roads. The bikes they had were 3 speed chinese knockoff's of the Raleigh Tourist. They had rod brakes as well. The locals mentioned that new parts were rare, but they were obtainable through trade with other folks etc. The bikes were holding up well even carrying all this cargo.

I would think you could use similar bikes because they are steel tanks. Plus the parts on these bikes are already available.
Old 09-20-08, 06:09 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Guys, this is nice to have your opinion about whether my project is fine or not, but my real question in this thread is : have you heard about any very strong and very cheap bike, no matter the weight ?

Sianelle please,

I like your "bombproof" BSA Hercules. It seems to be worth about 75 USD on Internet. Have you noticed any weakness, especially on the brake ? How long or how many km have you been riding it ? Thank you again.

Philippe
I've owned my Hercules for just over two years now and I carry quite heavy loads on it sometimes. I haven't had a moment's trouble with it really apart from having to put locknuts on all the bolts on the Indian made Brooks leather saddle because they were forever coming loose. The brakes have always been excellent. I'm a big fan of rod brakes and the only reason people say they're no good is because they weren't setup properly to start with. A rod brake can be repaired with simple handtools and most of the brake parts can be readily made from basic materials should genuine spares not be available.
Old 09-20-08, 04:17 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Get a single speed Schwinn, they seem to be indestructible.
Old 09-21-08, 11:00 AM
spikedog123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you get one of these India bikes? Can you order it directly from the website? Do you need to go through a third party?

The Hero looks like a cool bike.
Old 09-21-08, 11:15 AM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I live in a third world nation and I can tell you, just about anything is used here. I see it all. The biggest issue is the roads, which destroy everything, including bikes.

I assume you are talking in towns? In our areas, if you are away from town, they use horses. Cheap, easy, reproduce with no help from anyone. colts and fillies are pretty much free. If you have pasture, you can have transportation. And, faster usually than a bike, unless you have a good bike and better legs.

Without suspension, don't even think of going across rock roads, and in Latin America, the idea of a gravel road, isn't gravel. Scoop rock out of a river, dump it on the dirt road, let the traffic smash it down. Add water, and stir...

I honestly can't imagine trying to ride a 4 wheel bike on these roads, you have to find a line through all the baby heads, and that doesn't happen with 4 wheels.
Old 09-21-08, 03:26 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spikedog123
How do you get one of these India bikes? Can you order it directly from the website? Do you need to go through a third party?

The Hero looks like a cool bike.
Assuming you are in the US, Yellowjersey has had India bikes for a long time now. Dunno if they will ship them internationally.

https://www.yellowjersey.org/EASTMAN.HTML
also see
https://www.yellowjersey.org/east03.html

As I recall, there was also a place that was getting in Chinese bikes as well. These came to your door in the original factory packing, and were shipped to you totally disassembled--you even had to build the wheels (-lace the spokes into the hubs & rims) yourself. They warned you though, and shipping this way saved a good amount of money.
~
Old 09-21-08, 09:04 PM
spikedog123

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
Assuming you are in the US, Yellowjersey has had India bikes for a long time now. Dunno if they will ship them internationally.

https://www.yellowjersey.org/EASTMAN.HTML
also see
https://www.yellowjersey.org/east03.html

As I recall, there was also a place that was getting in Chinese bikes as well. These came to your door in the original factory packing, and were shipped to you totally disassembled--you even had to build the wheels (-lace the spokes into the hubs & rims) yourself. They warned you though, and shipping this way saved a good amount of money.
~
seems very expensive for a bike you have to totally assemble from the lacing the wheels up. Especially since the local cost is $30.

Anyone had success ordering direct?
Old 09-21-08, 09:30 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
+1 to those Indian made rod brake roadsters... these are the most popular kind of bike on earth because they don't come much simpler or get much tougher.

The braking system is robust and it does not rely on cables, which may be hard to source and replace.

The 29 inch wheels are perfect for taking up the bumps and this tyre size is common outside of north America and in the developing world.

How do I know how good a bike these are ?

My '48 Rudge is 60 years old and is still going strong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.