Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Data Proves Cyclists Faster In Cities Than Cars | FORBES

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 10:49 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#4a98db363794
Old 11-13-18, 11:18 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Amen.
Old 11-13-18, 01:55 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
I take this with a grain of salt. The data tracked couriers who are undoubtedly filtering between cars and taking various shortcuts. I'd wager they weren't obeying all traffic laws either. Anecdotally, my commutes were only as fast as cars in areas with many traffic lights. I probably would've been faster if I ran some reds, but we all know the gamble that exercise is.
Old 11-13-18, 02:56 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
The statement about bikes being faster is imprecise because, first, the data is primarily from delivery riders in London. Cars obviously have the potential for higher speeds; however the combination of algorithm-driven routing and a likely a few more liberties with traffic laws allow the delivery cyclist to arrive at a particular destination in less time (and time is money). Not the same as "faster".

Links for perspective:

https://www.phcmag.com/deliveroo-cyc...ausing-mayhem/
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/n...lists-a-280750
https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/yo...ster-1-8668792
Old 11-13-18, 03:14 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Haha! You guys!

One day I counted 254 cars/trucks I passed in gridlock traffic and ZERO passed me (I shot video and counted them later). I don't need a fancy study to tell me I am getting through the city grid faster than the shiny metal boxes that are the exact WRONG shape for that job. Yes, I am taking shortcuts, breaking rules, and splitting lanes. Precisely WHY i use a bicycle Downtown in the first place. Even if motorists were allowed to run red lights they would have no chance against a seasoned delivery guy/gal. Don't even get me started on PARKING! HAHAHAhahahahaha! What a joke. Passing less than 100 cars would be a bad day for me Downtown. Passing me ONCE would be a good day for cars.
Old 11-13-18, 03:15 PM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When I was National Bike Week Co-ordinator for my local city back in the Noughties, we ran a bike v car v bus v train (where relevant) and the bike won every time. the routes ranged from about 3 to 5/6 miles. Traffic rules had to be obeyed.
Old 11-13-18, 03:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Gee ... it is almost like the phrase "depending on rider, route, road condition, and time of day" was accidentally left out of the title.

To get clicks from people who needed their lies reinforced.
Old 11-13-18, 04:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
New York City has used bicycles for deliveries since bicycles were invented. Well, at least since the safety bicycle was invented. We know they are the fastest for trips up to a certain distance.

@Hoopdriver, some laws that cyclists break don't serve anyone, so I think the data is still valid. And I said "some" laws, not all. I'm not advocating mayhem, but when I consider that no one is hurt if I stop at a red light and then proceed if no one is there, I see nothing wrong with it. I am not only safe, but I am careful not to rattle anyone's nerves.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-13-18, 04:10 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Gee ... it is almost like the phrase "depending on rider, route, road condition, and time of day" was accidentally left out of the title.

To get clicks from people who needed their lies reinforced.
The article I read following the OP link suggested that the data was compiled 24-7-365 and the bicycles did best overall, regardless of rider, route, conditions, or time of day. Correct me if i am wrong (like I nee to add that). They only tracked pro delivery riders tho.
Old 11-13-18, 06:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
They only tracked pro delivery riders tho.
------------------------------------------------------ "depending on rider, route, road condition, and time of day"

Yeah .... that's like saying "Cyclists cruise at 28 mph .... but we only tracked riders in the the Pro Tour peloton."

As I said .... "depending on rider, route, road condition, and time of day."
Old 11-13-18, 09:28 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Well I was faster than cars on my commute home yesterday. I had taken careful note of a car passing me obnoxiously close and fast, gave him the stink-eye when I caught him at the next light, and then caught him again just before home. And this was a low-energy no-sweating ride where I was being cautious in the rain. I don't really doubt that bikes can be faster in the city with higher density and more lights.
Old 11-13-18, 09:34 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
The article I read following the OP link suggested that the data was compiled 24-7-365 and the bicycles did best overall, regardless of rider, route, conditions, or time of day. Correct me if i am wrong (like I nee to add that). They only tracked pro delivery riders tho.
You can look at Google Maps, set it to the bicycle, and check the estimated time for the trip, Google takes into account the road, grade, lights, and current traffic. I knock off 35% for my time, not bragging just how I plan it and it usually works out. Driving times are pretty accurate for average drivers. You can compare the two, and in rush hour it's not hard to be faster by bike.
Old 11-13-18, 09:41 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I have an 18 mile commute that I usually drive. But when I ride, I beat auto time on the way home for the first three miles every time without fail. Under the right conditions, a bike is always faster. Don't need a study to tell you that.

The next fifteen miles are a lot faster in the truck.
Old 11-13-18, 10:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
You can look at Google Maps, set it to the bicycle, and check the estimated time for the trip, Google takes into account the road, grade, lights, and current traffic. I knock off 35% for my time, not bragging just how I plan it and it usually works out. Driving times are pretty accurate for average drivers. You can compare the two, and in rush hour it's not hard to be faster by bike.
My impression is that Google estimates cycling trips at a constant 12 mph, whereas their algorithms for car trips seem to take prevailing conditions into account. For me, these are both fairly realistic. Traffic affects my overall speed when I'm in a car, but has little impact on how fast I can get somewhere by bike. I always trust my bike to get me somewhere in my little hamlet, even when there's something like a home football game, rush our, or the occasional riot.
Old 11-14-18, 03:54 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I was always "faster" on my bike than in my car during commute times... that was part of my whole motivation for cycling... that and getting exercise while commuting. It didn't hurt that I also enjoyed cycling.

Sure, in a car, I could physically go faster... when I could actually move... But on the bike, while physically slower, I was rarely impeded in traffic... thus I arrived sooner if I cycled vice drove.
Old 11-14-18, 05:23 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I could have told you that for free.
Old 11-14-18, 06:03 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Some people are criticizing the study because bicycles filter through traffic. Well, duh, that's the point. Bicycles have the flexibility of passing slow moving traffic without getting in their way or being part of it. They can even get off the road and be walked on the sidewalk until a specific jam is cleared.

And all that is done legally so I didn't even count the red light runners.
Old 11-14-18, 06:20 AM
Maelochs

As said above ... under certain circumstances, at certain times, on certain routes, for certain riders, one vehicle or another might get to its destination more quickly.

About the only time a bike might be quicker, in my experience, is when traffic is really bad, and in high-traffic zones, with a lot of lights and intersections. And the only way a bike can keep up in those situations is by lane-splitting---riding through stopped traffic. And the longer the commute, the more opportunities for cars to hit stretches of open road and crank it up to 50 mph until the next knot of traffic.

Like many here, I have decades of commuting experience and of course, we all have different experiences ... which is pretty much my point. Every rider, every route, every ride at each different time, is different. Any generality is always imprecise ... and also, a lot of pro-cycling writers like to tout the superiority of cycling.

Cyclign is Not "better." It is cycling. Driving a car is not driving a truck is not riding a motorcycle, either. Choose what meets the needs and desires at the given moment ... the "best" is what you choose to see as best at a given time.

even those cycle couriers who were tracked for this test ... put me in the same situation, and I will be half a s fast as any of them. Would that 'disprove" the study?
Old 11-14-18, 08:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Right, saying that it's not fair because bikes can filter is like saying it's not fair because cars can go faster.

One reason bikes are faster than cars here in NYC is parking. It can take 30 minutes to find a spot, and then there is the walk between the car and the destination. Because of this, you're definitely not going to take a car for a one-mile trip. Pizza doesn't arrive in cars here!

Actually, e-bikes are faster, and I believe the majority of delivery bikes are now e-bikes. I have mixed feelings about that, which I'll share another time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-14-18, 10:40 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
We should all do the following experiment. I was skeptical but I've done it myself: most people do not erase the trip data in their GPS devices. Take a look at the AVERAGE speed over whatever time span has elapsed. It will be, or VERY close to 17.5 mph. This is regardless of whether you live in the city or the burbs. As long as the elapsed time is greater than a week, and is an average of the normal mix of urban, freeway, parking lot driving most people do. A driver can never exceed the 17.5mph moving average and keep his/her license. A cyclist keeping a GPS running for all their trips has a much more individual moving average. It might be as low as 8mph or as high as 12mph but it will not exceed 17.5mph. Cars are faster*. It's not debatable. But that does not mean there aren't huge advantages in health, finances and sustainability that make giving up driving as a daily activity worth the doing! If you haven't been under a rock for the last week you have no doubt heard the new data coming out that being sedentary is worse for you than smoking!
*On average! There are specific trips (short!) where by use of alleys, sidewalks or plazas I can cut the travel time shorter on a bike than in a car.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 11-14-18 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-14-18, 10:54 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Right, saying that it's not fair because bikes can filter is like saying it's not fair because cars can go faster.

One reason bikes are faster than cars here in NYC is parking. It can take 30 minutes to find a spot, and then there is the walk between the car and the destination. Because of this, you're definitely not going to take a car for a one-mile trip. Pizza doesn't arrive in cars here!

Actually, e-bikes are faster, and I believe the majority of delivery bikes are now e-bikes. I have mixed feelings about that, which I'll share another time.
You're kind of right, but as a former NY'er (too bad we never met) there is considerable setup before you can get going on the bike. You have a U-lock and two cables to unlock and stow. You have to re-attach the lights, bell, and seatpost that you took off. The driver has already gotten to their car and is pulling away and you still have to put your wheels back on and inflate the tires. E-bikes seem faster in the way that a Lamborghini seems faster than a Corrolla. What really matters is the GPS moving average, and raw speed is only a tiny component of that. A savvy cyclist on an unpowered bike can easily match an e-bike to an urban destination. The reason e-bikes are so popular as a delivery bike is because people are so unfit in the 21st Century! Back when I was a bike messenger we would have laughed out loud if we had been offered e-bikes. No freaking way.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 11-14-18 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-14-18, 10:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Delivery guys leave their lights on and illuminated to indicate they'll be right back.

How do you figure pedal cyclists are faster than e-bike riders?

How do you figure delivery guys are out of shape? The ones I see are not. They are very tough.

Old 11-14-18, 11:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How do you figure pedal cyclists are faster than e-bike riders?

How do you figure delivery guys are out of shape?
The same way he figured that cyclists have a U-lock and two cables to unlock and stow, have to re-attach the lights, bell, and seatpost that they take off [and while] the driver has already gotten to their car and is pulling away and cyclists have to put their wheels back on and inflate the tires.
Old 11-14-18, 11:23 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
My impression is that Google estimates cycling trips at a constant 12 mph, whereas their algorithms for car trips seem to take prevailing conditions into account. For me, these are both fairly realistic. Traffic affects my overall speed when I'm in a car, but has little impact on how fast I can get somewhere by bike. I always trust my bike to get me somewhere in my little hamlet, even when there's something like a home football game, rush our, or the occasional riot.
Here are two Google cycling time estimates on a half-mile hill, one up and one down. Going up is 5 minutes, down is 2 minutes, so it's not a constant estimation and it does take into account grade.

The cycling estimate does NOT take current traffic into account though, that I can tell.
Old 11-14-18, 11:28 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Here are two Google cycling time estimates on a half-mile hill, one up and one down. Going up is 5 minutes, down is 2 minutes, so it's not a constant estimation and it does take into account grade.

The cycling estimate does NOT take current traffic into account though, that I can tell.
That's cool. I never thought of checking that. I always assumed that my evening commute is quicker than my morning commute because I'm more motivated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.