Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

No-Hands Shimmy (2019 Version)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-25-19, 08:34 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts

Okay, so I've done my homework and have discovered a great many things that can cause the front end to shimmy when taking your hands off the bars. But there hasn't been a thread on this in a while so hey, let's try a new angle on it. Rather than "what causes this?" we'll play "can this cause it?"

The bike: '79 Raleigh Competition GS, set up for commuter duty: rear rack with a trunk on top, no panniers, rarely is there more than 5-6 lbs of stuff back there. Headset and all the other maintenance-type things I've seen mentioned in previous threads are in good order.

The recent change and primary suspect: Switched from a 90mm SR Royal stem to an 80mm Technomic. Bars are now 5cm higher than they were, and are set back probably 2cm(?) from previous.

Could this really be enough to tip things into general instability? The bike seems to think so, but I'm curious if anyone has run into a similar situation after going to a Technomic.

Pic, because it's what we do here:
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-25-19, 10:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I'm far from an expert on these things, but my Bianchi Sport SX also gets wiggly when I take my hands off the bars. It was a bit unstable for the previous owner, @balindamood, as well. Interestingly, the only hardware in common for our riding is the frame (excepting the fork), and I've used the string test to make sure it's pretty well aligned. What does seem to be in common, is having weight too far back, and not enough of it on the front wheel. Brian used a rear rack and trunk bag, I had it set up in sort of a French/Eddy fit with knees behind KOPS and an 80mm stem. The new fork has more rake for less trail -- I'm not sure if that helped or hurt the stability, but it makes the bike easier to control with a light touch, so I'm content. I've scooched my saddle forward a bit and am pretty much at KOPS now, considering a 90mm stem since I can now reach forward a bit more. Moving my weight forward seems to have helped. The bike still gets shaky if I take my hands off and pedal at 20+ MPH, but now I can ride no-hands smoothly at 15-18 MPH.

I think the ultimate solution might be to find a frame that's 10mm shorter in the top tube, and make up for it at the stem so that a little more of the front wheel is under me. (My Bianchi Eros, one size smaller, doesn't wiggle.) Perhaps longer chainstays would help, too. Might be looking at a custom frame if too many of these odd demands add up.

That's a lot of blathering to say moving your bars up and back may have indeed hurt your cause. One thing to try is to pull your rear wheel back in the dropouts -- I like to line up the rear axle with the seat stay, and can see that your wheel is ahead of that.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 06-25-19 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 05:14 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
Contrary to what many have reported, I found that moving the saddle forward tends to make my bikes less stable when taking my hands off the bars. I discovered this after moving the saddle forward to compensate for too long of a reach. When I tested the bike, I found I could not ride it no-handed, the wheel would quickly turn to either the left or right.. Previously, I could easily ride no-handed. Moving the saddle toward the rear 1/4 to 1/2 inch corrected the problem and the bike was stable no-handed again.
Old 06-26-19, 05:43 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
Shimmy is a resonance problem, and if you are now sitting further back in the saddle or not leaning as far forward, you have changed the mass distribution of the rider-bicycle system. Try bending your elbows and sitting and/or leaning slightly farther forward. The lean may be the key here, because it alters the height distribution of your weight over the frame.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-26-19, 06:56 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
I have a lightweight bike that shimmies too. I only noticed it after swapping the wheels. But my guess is that it shimmied with the previous wheels too — I just hadn’t tried riding no hands at speed. I do think the shimmy is more pronounced the further back I am on the saddle. My guesses: frameset resonance, unbalanced wheel weight, tires and/or wheels not mounted perfectly straight; replacement fork/geo. Also maybe a bent frame, but IIRC mine passed the string test too. Shimmy is quite the mystery.
Old 06-26-19, 07:13 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I have one set of wheels that has induced identical shimmies on two different steel frames, fairly stiff ones. A 531 Raleigh Competition and a Lemond Tourmalet. These both occurred while coasting, with one foot down and no hands. I'm wondering if maybe it could be the radially-laced front wheel lacking spoke tension? Or something else? Headsets are both in good shape, so i think I can rule that out. Is it strictly a "steel frame thing"?

I agree, it's quite the mystery. I have noticed that European pros ride no-handed all the time without problems (Brad Wiggins notwithstanding) so I'm suspecting there may be a mechanical fix that the professional mechanics know about.
Old 06-26-19, 08:20 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
[...] One thing to try is to pull your rear wheel back in the dropouts -- I like to line up the rear axle with the seat stay, and can see that your wheel is ahead of that.
Genius! This will be tried immediately. The looong Campy dropouts mean I might be able to make a real difference this way -- I've got more than 2cm (maybe even 3) available behind the current position.

Thanks to all who replied. You gave me at least a couple of things to consider now that I may not have otherwise.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-26-19, 03:27 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,270 Posts
Solution to shimmy, explained.

Old 06-26-19, 08:27 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
My motorcycles get shimmy if I sit too far back on the seat and take weight off the pegs. Reweighting the pegs immediately straightens things out. My Centurion Pro-tour gets some shimmy with out tension on my front bag, strings to the handlebar or a decaleur stop it. If riding no hand I tend to put my weight on my seat, putting weight on the pedals stops the tendency to shimmy but that is hard riding no hands.
Old 06-26-19, 09:16 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
The recent change and primary suspect:[/i] Switched from a 90mm SR Royal stem to an 80mm Technomic. Bars are now 5cm higher than they were, and are set back probably 2cm(?) from previous.

Could this really be enough to tip things into general instability? The bike seems to think so, but I'm curious if anyone has run into a similar situation after going to a Technomic.
Not sure how a stem change could induce a no-hands shimmy. I suspect something else is the cause.

FWIW, I just changed a 95mm SR Royal stem to an 80mm Technomic with no shimmy problems.
Old 06-27-19, 08:14 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 3,397 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Solution to shimmy, explained.
Dang, I thought you were posting the Russo shimmy scene (or waggle.... or whatever..)
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 06-27-19, 08:45 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I'm convinced that strong no-hands low-speed shimmy is related to some kind of wheel tracking problem. I have cured that kind of shimmy by aligning the rear end of a bike. OTOH, I have seen forks that weren't aligned on bikes that didn't shimmy at all. People report that fork alignment problems can cause shimmy. No-hands shimmy seems to be more prevalent the less trail a bike has. So front weighting those is a good idea.

The pros are on bikes with a lot of trail. Probably has a lot to do with their lack of problems with shimmy. I am a little surprised they don't have high speed shimmy/speed wobble though.
Old 06-27-19, 02:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm convinced that strong no-hands low-speed shimmy is related to some kind of wheel tracking problem. I have cured that kind of shimmy by aligning the rear end of a bike. OTOH, I have seen forks that weren't aligned on bikes that didn't shimmy at all. People report that fork alignment problems can cause shimmy. No-hands shimmy seems to be more prevalent the less trail a bike has. So front weighting those is a good idea.

The pros are on bikes with a lot of trail. Probably has a lot to do with their lack of problems with shimmy. I am a little surprised they don't have high speed shimmy/speed wobble though.
Race bikes having more trail might be part of it. Jobst Brandt claimed that experienced riders just knew how to deal with it, so they didn't talk about it.

All my bicycles have shimmied on demand and it has never bothered me because I don't need to let it shimmy. It seems that in the days of yore, when only young can-do racers rode racing (light weight) Italian and French frames, it was their business to take care of such anomalies. We never talked about it.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-27-19, 04:05 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Last summer my 1982 Competition GS was returned to me with all the original parts I had on it. Took it out for a ride and entered a tank slapper at 35mph down hill. Controlled it and made it home. Put it in the stand and found spoke tension to be exceptionally low. Brought it up to tension and have been riding without a hitch. Hit 40mph the other day without trouble.

One trick I learned with motorcycles was to tighten down the tension on the headset. helps to stabilize shimmy's.
Old 06-27-19, 04:17 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I built up a 1987 Centurion Ironman with brand new Vuelta XRP racing wheels, Microshift brifters, cables, brakes, chain, cleaned and polished. It weighs 21-1/2 lbs. The very first time I took my hands off the handlebars cruising downhill about 20mph it started to shimmy. Scared the #@%^& out of me. Never had that happen before. Went away as soon as I put my weight on the handlebars again. If anybody can figure it out let me know. I love that bike. It's a fantastic ride.
Old 06-27-19, 04:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
One trick I learned with motorcycles was to tighten down the tension on the headset. helps to stabilize shimmy's.
Jan Heine has suggested that a roller bearing headset like the Stronglight A9 can dampen shimmy.
Old 06-27-19, 08:32 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Well thanks to all. You've given me a lot to think about and explore as I track down a solution.

FWIW, moving the axle rearward in the dropouts -- and I moved it all the way back -- didn't resolve things. I was hoping it would, as the weight was effectively moved slightly forward. No dice.

In the meantime I suppose I'll keep my hands on the bars.
Old 06-28-19, 06:39 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Jan Heine has suggested that a roller bearing headset like the Stronglight A9 can dampen shimmy.
Can concur. Put an IRD roller bearing headset on mine and that fixed virtually all shimmy. And when it does happen it is a whole lot more manageable.

Lighter wheels (or tyres) helps too.
Old 06-28-19, 07:24 AM
jethin

I think wheel weight/balance and tire/tire mounting issues may have something to do with shimmy. If a wheel is unbalanced for some reason, or the tire tread(s) aren't in a straight line, couldn't this contribute to "resonance"? I also think that lighter and more compliant frames may be more prone to resonating.
Old 06-28-19, 07:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
My Viner would shimmy at higher speeds if I moved my butt back on the saddle further than normal, I have had a couple of scary incidents on that bike. I could ride it no hands without any problems though, the speeds where I would want to do that are much lower than where it would shimmy. My understanding is that all bikes will shimmy at some speed, it's just that the good ones only shimmy at speeds higher than anyone rides.
Old 06-28-19, 01:59 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

My mind keeps drawing parallels to electronics, particularly tube amplifiers. Lots of opportunities for those to oscillate, and oftentimes luck plays a role. A draggier headset could be likened to putting a low-pass filter on the steering input.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-28-19, 03:59 PM
Feldman

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
Have you checked either/or rear hub cone adjustment and rear wheel tensioning and dishing? I have found that too loose rear cones, too loose rear spoke tension, and a rear wheel out of dish can all contribute to some shimmy.
Old 06-29-19, 01:54 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Random update: Front wheel has been ruled out after swapping in the front from my Paramount. Same size/brand tire, Continental GP Classic, but on H+Son rim and Campy high-flange hub. Just about as perfect a wheel as I could ask for.

...the shimmy remains.

Might just tear the whole thing down and take the frame/fork for a proper alignment. Was hoping to avoid that.
Old 06-29-19, 06:46 AM
jethin

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Might just tear the whole thing down and take the frame/fork for a proper alignment. Was hoping to avoid that.
I salute your tenacity, and welcome any new data points on the mysterious issue of shimmy. Good luck!
Old 06-30-19, 04:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
There might indeed be a frame alignment problem, but you might be able to get around it by replacing the rear rack with a front rack.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.