Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cost of organized rides going up?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-20-19, 07:47 AM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

I don't have any scientific date but it seems that the cost of organized rides have gone up tremendously. When I started riding in 2013 most of the rides were around $20 - $30 with stops for frit, cookies, the occasional warm Gatorade. Now it seems that everybody wants $50-60 for the same rides. Granted, there are a few events that really put up a good show and the spread at stops is fantastic such as the Apple Cider Century in Michican in the fall. I'll pay the $60 they ask for without batting an eye.
However some other events are just... Meh!!! I understand that organizing anything nowadays require time and investment. But... I'd rather ride my own ride sometimes.

I'd join and support many more rides if the cost was lower but.. What are the typical costs of organized rides around you? What do they offer? Have you noticed a increase in fees???
Old 08-20-19, 08:15 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Bike the Coast (San Diego,) 50-mile, $80; 100-mile, $110 (and the century is the 50-mile route twice)
San Diego Century, 100-mile, $140
Tour de Palm Springs, 51 and 102 mile, $86.50
Cool Breeze Century (Santa Barbara area), 100-mile, $125
Mammoth Gran Fondo, 70-mile, $109, 102-mile, $129
Jensie Gran Fondo (Marin County,) 68 and 83 mile routes, $195

This is pretty much why I don't do organized rides.

We do have a local one here called the Plain Wrap, where registration for any length (they have like 20, 40, and 62 mile routes) is $25. SAG is pretty good for $25, but the routes are usually garbage-- particularly the metric.
Old 08-20-19, 08:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Hard to say - I don't pay close enough attention as they (mostly) no longer appeal.

There is a 100-mile, ~$70 ride in my region that's really well organized - traffic control at most crossings, well-spaced and -stocked rest stops, etc - and at one time I found value in that. Now, though, I'm comfortable doing a 100-mile solo ride with one stop at a convenience store to refill bottles grab a couple snacks. Doing the organized century is certainly not getting me an additional $60 worth of food, drink, safety or camaraderie.

There's a free gravel ride that I've done a few times - the support is light (one stop with Oreos and drinks), but the price is right. I could still take it or leave it, though - it's fun to ride in a large group sometimes, but it's also sketchy sometimes.

There's one other ride that I would consider in nice weather and if I catch the discounted pricing of $25. It's mid-distance (~60 miles), has a few stops with snacks and bike mechanics, and a decent meal at the end with a beer or three included. The meal/beer alone is worth the discounted pricing and the rest of the support/festive air is a bonus.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-20-19, 08:56 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
2013 was a long time ago economically and financially in the US. But generally I agree. Seems like the price is always going up around here, sometimes it's a face-value increase of the actual price and sometimes it's a back-end hidden increase under "processing fees." It's often not much, 2-3% a year as back-end fees and then after a couple years add $5-10$ to the actual price.

MTB races are pretty consistent in the increase, they used to be $30 then they were $35 and now they're $40. Gravel saw a big jump around 2016 when a lot of event fees popped 20%-30% in one year. Some of that was popularity and some was the rural sheriff's associations seeing a money-making opportunity. Generally gravel is all over - Big Frog 65 was $140, Shake 'n' Brake is $60, Standard Deluxe Dirt Road Century is $55, Conasauga 45 is $80, Fried Clay 200k was $15.

If it bothers you that much the best thing you can do is send the organizers an email and encourage others to do so. Sometimes there is tiered pricing available and sometimes it takes feedback from the community for an event to re-evaluate where their value lies and reduce some expenses that are not needed. One of our local fondo series dropped the pint glasses because of rider feedback and that helped keep the fees down for a while. However, much of the driver of increased costs are insurance and municipal so there's not really much to do about it. Local municipality can kill an event or drive the cost through the roof by requiring EMS/LEO presence for minimum hours, that does not come cheap.
Old 08-20-19, 09:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
$10-$130.

A fall gravel race is technically free but they ask that you bring canned/boxed food for a local food pantry. Then there are various gravel races that cost $30-75. Then there is something like BikeMS where the minimum required amount to be raised(or just paid) is effectively $130.
There are many more rides, but I only do a couple of organized rides(besides a few gravel races that Ill never come close to mattering in) so I dont know the prices of everything around here.
From what I can see, the costs do seem to be in line with the entertainment/support for each ride.
Old 08-20-19, 10:20 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
If anything, our experience is more dramatic. The rides that cost $20 forever are now charging $60. A few newcomers (Hincapie Fondo and others) are charging $225 and up. (Tulsa Tough's fondos are ridiculously expensive for what are basically midling group rides on run-of-the-mill roads.) But a LOT of the former rides and races have died in Middle Tennessee. Last year, two "pay" rides died. This year, I can count seven long-time events (six rides and a triathlon) that have been cancelled. A couple major rides in Georgia went away because law enforcement is no longer willing to facilitate a major ride. They don't want you there.

I have to acknowledge that I'm another one that usually rides centuries and metrics on my own time. I don't feel I get anything from being a part of most organized rides. A "pay" ride has to have some special appeal to get me to sign up. If I ride one, unless it is extremely hot during the ride, I ride them non-stop and without support, anyway. And most post-ride meals are pretty disappointing.
Old 08-20-19, 10:40 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
What are you getting for that though?

USAC fees are about $5 per person, plus the permit. (That is for the insurance.) If not USAC, the ride should have some insurance set up.
Are there any police or road closures. Police start at about $35 per hour, and they tell you how many officers and for how long - you don't get to say.
Are there any local permits required? That starts at about $150 per permit. Going through multiple towns or counties may require multiple permits.
T-shirts: figure $10 each
Food and rest stops - your looking at a few dollars per person, at least.
Fuel for vehicles - got to drive that food and water to the rest stations, plus you need vehicles traveling the course for support.

It all adds up very quickly for a promoter. If you've never promoted an event, I highly encourage you to do so. It's an eye-opening experience.
Old 08-20-19, 10:49 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
If anything, our experience is more dramatic. The rides that cost $20 forever are now charging $60. A few newcomers (Hincapie Fondo and others) are charging $225 and up. (Tulsa Tough's fondos are ridiculously expensive for what are basically midling group rides on run-of-the-mill roads.) But a LOT of the former rides and races have died in Middle Tennessee. Last year, two "pay" rides died. This year, I can count seven long-time events (six rides and a triathlon) that have been cancelled. A couple major rides in Georgia went away because law enforcement is no longer willing to facilitate a major ride. They don't want you there.

I have to acknowledge that I'm another one that usually rides centuries and metrics on my own time. I don't feel I get anything from being a part of most organized rides. A "pay" ride has to have some special appeal to get me to sign up. If I ride one, unless it is extremely hot during the ride, I ride them non-stop and without support, anyway. And most post-ride meals are pretty disappointing.
This is me I normally never pay to ride unless something very special or a cause I am really for. From what I can see around these parts a ride in the surrounding roads for say 50-100 miles is at least $35 but sometime more closer to Chicago they go up much more. I just cannot see in added an expense to ride. I can go out the door and be going then done. For me it is just simplicity although the company can be fun. I am retired and I have to what the money close. I also find that I really do not need sag support and carry my own food. I typically like to go and ride without stops and I just do not see the events as anything special. I am sure if I live in another area where it was different scenery it might matter. All there is around here for miles and miles and miles is corn and beans...……..flats for sure.

For the same reason I quite running road races. I not getting any faster and why pay to do what is basically cheap an easy. If I need competition I can go to the track and see if I have any speed...…...no.
Old 08-20-19, 11:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Its the same everywhere, not just cycling events.

My first concert a major arena was $12. Now $250 is not uncommon.

Child admission to the Atlanta Air Show is $35.

$50 to $100 for a tee time at a decent golf course.

A decent dry aged ribeye steak is $24/lb.

-Tim-
Old 08-20-19, 12:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Bike the Coast (San Diego,) 50-mile, $80; 100-mile, $110 (and the century is the 50-mile route twice)
That's Crazy Eddie insane.

The Philly Bike Club's annual century tops out at $50 for late registration for non-members. $35 for members. (You can pay $50 for the ride or join the club for a year and pay $35 for the ride.) Early bird registration for club members is $25.

The annual club ride to Brooklyn is $94 for members ($99 for non-members), but you get to shower in a nice hotel room, free beer/soda and snacks at the end and a bus ride back to the start.
Old 08-20-19, 12:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
My first concert a major arena was $12. Now $250 is not uncommon.
Who did you see? In '77 or '78 I went to my first major concert. Saw the Isley Brother with A Taste of Honey and some other group. Seats in the balcony were $7.50.
Old 08-20-19, 01:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Rolling Stones 1965, Statesboro GA. At the college gym. I may have gotten in free, CRS.
Old 08-20-19, 01:20 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Aren't there any local group rides in your area that are free?
Old 08-20-19, 01:35 PM
TheRef

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Aren't there any local group rides in your area that are free?
There are but what does that have to do with my question?
Old 08-20-19, 02:01 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I no longer do the typical pay-for rides, but I still pay the big money for certain types that include a closed course. The 5 Boro Tour is a 100% closed course through NYC, including major highways and bridges. And the "Hub on Wheels" in Boston which has many sections of closed course, including a section Storrow Drive which is closed on both sides, giving the feeling a a world where cars don't exist.

In summation, if I'm not getting a closed course, I'm typically not paying. It's easy to carry 100's of miles worth of food in a jersey or frame bag. No need for aid stations.
Old 08-20-19, 02:22 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Randonneuring is a pretty cheap way to do organized rides. Here's what our club charges (10% discount for club members)
200k - $15
300k - $20
400k - $25
600k - $30
For that you get a cue sheet, RWGPS route, and a brevet card. Someone will come pick you up eventually if you can't finish. Usually we have drinks and snacks at the start, finish and maybe somewhere along the way for the 200 & 300. Depending on the route and what's open around the finish, we may include a dinner for the 400 & 600. We're not in it to make money obviously. Just try to break even every year. I'm glad we don't have to get permits, hire cops and stuff. I think I'd stop doing it if it ever got that popular.
Likes For kingston:
Old 08-20-19, 04:07 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Some of the Grand Fondos are for-profit ventures.

Many of them charge a lot for the ride.

I suspect other ride organizer see that people pay those prices and increase their fees.

They can justify the higher fee by pointing out they are much less than a fondo.

A lower price requires more people to sign-up, which means more work.

A higher price might mean fewer people but it's less work/cost.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-20-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-20-19, 04:24 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
What are you getting for that though?

USAC fees are about $5 per person, plus the permit. (That is for the insurance.) If not USAC, the ride should have some insurance set up.
Are there any police or road closures. Police start at about $35 per hour, and they tell you how many officers and for how long - you don't get to say.
Are there any local permits required? That starts at about $150 per permit. Going through multiple towns or counties may require multiple permits.
T-shirts: figure $10 each
Food and rest stops - your looking at a few dollars per person, at least.
Fuel for vehicles - got to drive that food and water to the rest stations, plus you need vehicles traveling the course for support.

It all adds up very quickly for a promoter. If you've never promoted an event, I highly encourage you to do so. It's an eye-opening experience.
There's also ride-insurance for the organizer that adds up
Old 08-20-19, 04:55 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Phil's Cookie Fondo is now $160. Granted, you get some freebies, but I really do not need another t-shirt or tote bag (the custom Camelback bottle is awesome). It is however a charity ride, but you never know really how much goes to charity (it should be all net profit). There are some rides like the Sea Otter Classic, which is a for-profit ride, but pretends to give to charity.
Old 08-20-19, 05:12 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I think I saw "CATS" in London back in 1981 or thereabouts or so.. I think the ticket was about $6. What does a hot show on broadway cost now?... $200+ per seat.
Old 08-20-19, 05:37 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I just paid $130 to ride my bike around Lake Tahoe. Seems like a lot of money to go for a bike ride, but when you consider it includes a couple meals, SAG, SWAG and use permits for a couple thousand of my closest friends, it's a bit more palatable. I don't do many group rides - maybe a couple per year. They are fun in their own way, and I'm sure the cost will continue to go up just like the movies, concerts, sporting events, etc.

I guess if I didn't want to pony up the $130 I could have taken a Weekday off and rode around the lake myself with less traffic. There are restaurants and I can pack some snacks... so I guess I decided to pay for the social thing.
Old 08-20-19, 05:48 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think I saw "CATS" in London back in 1981 or thereabouts or so.. I think the ticket was about $6. What does a hot show on broadway cost now?... $200+ per seat.
Difference is that a musical, hot or not, costs a crapload of money in wages for talent and tech and rights.

A bike ride is literally just a bike ride
Old 08-20-19, 06:39 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have found rides done by clubs to be the best. Not super expensive and well supported. I like having SAG. I like traveling to ride new roads. I find most cycling events to be cheaper then running events. A 5K run can be $30-$50. Everyone has gotten on the charity bandwagon.
Old 08-20-19, 06:40 PM
dorkypants

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
At least in Silicon Valley there are several causes: local governments and/or quasi-govt. agencies (such as fire departments) want to levy "permit" fees on organized events taking place in their jurisdiction where in earlier years they didn't, to the extent that many events now need effectively a lawyer to negotiate with these various agencies; county health departments want all food/beverages served to adhere to restaurant-level food-prep, storage and serving standards, preventing events from relying on volunteers to prep and serve food and instead forcing them to use professional catering or costlier pre-packaged food; there may also be insurance premium costs increases to factor in; and, not least, everyone looks at what everyone else is doing and says "Hey, so-and-so's event is charging this much, so we should be able to charge a similar amount too".
Old 08-20-19, 07:04 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Assuming it is a charitable cause I see nothing wrong with the current cost of bike events.
A supported ride on a closed course with all of the associated fanfare/swag is a bargain at $80 or so imo.
Pretty sure the disconnect occurs when a cheap knucklehead tries to compare a bike event to his/her solo or club weekend ride.
They are two completely different things

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.